Your Music by Decade?

The Owl

Another give me the stats of your library thread, but a different one..

Rank from lowest to highest the amount of music you have per decade (You can include #of songs/#of albums/the overall time/Gigs/...etc any stat you would like), leave a small comment on each decade..

- A bit of instructions, If you have iTunes like I do just go to "Create new smart playlist" -----> Set the Search criteria to (Year) is (in the range of) and set the year to the decade in question

I also must state that 98% of the music I have was bought, and the CD the music was copied onto my library from exists on CD in my house... so I know alot will have significantly larger libraries and wider decade selection than I do, but I tend not to download music from torrent site...etc.

Organizing this by # of Tracks, but I wonder if (amount of time of music, would shape the countdown in any other way...?)

7. Pre 1960s: Nothing Whatsoever... (I am really ashamed of this statistic, but one I do plan on fixing, there's alot of old blues artists, and some older pre-60s rock)

6. 2010s(so far): 686 songs/ 66 albums/ 3 days-5 hours-13 minutes worth of music... (not bad for only 2 and a half years worth of a decade)

5. 1960s: 708 songs/68 albums/ 1 day-17hours-6 minutes worth of music....(This could be better, I know...the fact that the current decade is close to surpassing this is almost a cause of shame. And most of it is from the latter half of the decade)

4. 1980s: 967 songs/110 albums/ 3 days-5hours-58 minutes worth of music..... (Alot of classic metal in here, and later classic rock, and it's kind of the inverse of the 60s.. most stuff here is from the early half of the decade)

3. 1990s: 1404 songs/136 albums/ 5 days- 8 hours-48 minutes worth of music.... (Most of the bands that dominates my 2000s/2010s got their start in the 90s and that's whats most represented...hardly any actual "90s bands")

2. 1970s: 2083 songs/219 albums/ 7days-8hours-23 minutes worth of music..... (Oh, hell yeah! Like this one here.... so much so that it actually makes me feel bad on how much my 60s are lacking)

1. 2000s: 3347 songs/ 307 albums/ 13 days-10 hours-52 minutes worth of music.....( I am actually shocked, not that it beat the 70s, but by how much it overtook the 70s by, well over 1000s songs, 80% of which would be newer prog and prog metal, and quite a bit of Texas Alt. Country or "Red Dirt" music)

1) 70's

2) 80's

3) 60's

4) 2000's <- There was a time when I listened to rap sarcasm.gif

5) 90's

6) 50's

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 6 2012, 07:12 PM)
Goober, you're not allowed to play BTW..... tongue.gif ...... just for the fact that you'll embarrass the lot of us.

All my stuff is on CD - I barely own any mp3's, so I'd have to go through my list manually and determine what decade albums are from - that would take a really long time anyway...

I wish I had the year tags filled out on my itunes. I'm going to guess that most of my music is from the 2000's/2010's because I downloaded (legally) a lot of free stuff from Bandcamp, some good stuff and some bad stuff. However my 2 favorite decades for music are the 70's and 2000's and they make up a large percentage of my collection.

I do most of my listening via Grooveshark. For me it's 2000s, then 2010s, then 1980s.

The majority of music I own is from the 1980s, then the 1970s and then the 1990s, but these two decades are fairly close.

I don't buy music nearly the way I used to. After 1995, there was a sharp decline in my music buying.

I own some stuff from the 1960s, but not much. I have nothing prior to the 60s.

Edited by circumstantial tree

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 08:32 AM)
I don't understand categorizing how much music you have by SONGS. Isn't it about how many albums you have?

I don't get it. no.gif

Because its easier to click on the first song on iTunes and shift+click the last one when sorted by date confused13.gif

All my music is in album form, there are no one off songs. If you prefer I could break it down like this.

1960s - 58 Albums

1970s - 107 Albums

1980s - 175 Albums

1990s - 192 Albums

2000s - 350 Albums

2010s - 25 Albums

QUOTE (Ultra @ Jun 10 2012, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 08:32 AM)
I don't understand categorizing how much music you have by SONGS.  Isn't it about how many albums you have? 

I don't get it. no.gif

Because its easier to click on the first song on iTunes and shift+click the last one when sorted by date confused13.gif

All my music is in album form, there are no one off songs. If you prefer I could break it down like this.

1960s - 58 Albums

1970s - 107 Albums

1980s - 175 Albums

1990s - 192 Albums

2000s - 350 Albums

2010s - 25 Albums

rushgoober is a musical format luddite! What is this itunes you speak of?

Whats that song by Styx?.....

Oh yeah, I remember.

"Too Much Time On My Hands"

wink.gif