The Garden

vital signz

I suppose it's easy to overrate something when you first hear it, and it's only with the passage of some time that we can see if a song really holds up.

All I know is... I am completely blown away by the emotions that this song brings it out in me. More and more each time I listen to it.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care what anyone says, this track, while not particularly heavy, is one of the finest, most well polished, wonderful, well composed, emotional, intense and.. whatever the opposite of awkward is tracks that I have EVER heard by Rush.

This is so good it caught me off guard like a cannon-ball to the nether regions and I had a borderline emotional breakdown listening to it for the first time.

Incredible stuff!

I've only just listened to The Garden today, 3 or 4 times. It is truly an amazing song. It's very poignant. I know a lot of people are grumbling because it's a soft song. Lots of 'heavier' bands do softer songs.

Everything thing I've heard so far from CA has a real, for lack of a better word, 'lush' sound. The tunes I've heard feel very airy. Sometimes when you pile on too many layers, songs can sound thick and muddy, and nothing I've heard so far has come near that.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 11 2012, 12:38 PM)
I don't care what anyone says, this track, while not particularly heavy, is one of the finest, most well polished, wonderful, well composed, emotional, intense and.. whatever the opposite of awkward is tracks that I have EVER heard by Rush.

This is so good it caught me off guard like a cannon-ball to the nether regions and I had a borderline emotional breakdown listening to it for the first time.

Incredible stuff!

Elegant.

The Garden is one of RUSH's most emotional and beautiful songs! Now I'm not saying its their best, far from it! Just up there with the most beautiful ones and by that I mean:

Tears

Closer to the Heart,

Different Strings

Losing It

The Pass

Presto

Bravado

Nobody's Hero

Halo Effect

Etc.

wub.gif rose.gif wub.gif

Just listened to this song for the first time and I have to say I think I was right in my prediction - it is reminiscent of Available Light! I like it a lot but I think it's definitely a song that takes more than one listen to completely "get".

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Jun 11 2012, 04:57 PM)
I've only just listened to The Garden today, 3 or 4 times. It is truly an amazing song. It's very poignant. I know a lot of people are grumbling because it's a soft song. Lots of 'heavier' bands do softer songs.

Everything thing I've heard so far from CA has a real, for lack of a better word, 'lush' sound. The tunes I've heard feel very airy. Sometimes when you pile on too many layers, songs can sound thick and muddy, and nothing I've heard so far has come near that.

That is too bad they are grumbling because it is a good song. Fortunately we haven't seen that here.

I'll say this for "The Garden" - it nearly brought me to tears, and that's not a reaction I've ever had from a Rush song. It's an emotionally beautiful coda to all which came before it - on the album, and in the lives of Rush and their fans.

We're left feeling grateful for the journey the album took us on, and for the lifelong journey the BAND has taken us on.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2012, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 6 2012, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2012, 12:31 PM)
Its a good song on this album, but man I dont know what people are hearing. I can think of a ton of songs I like more than this, but thats my opinion. Those vocals in the middle breakdown section kill me, they should have just put some effects on his voice or something to mask how much its degraded and maybe I would feel better about this song than I currently do.

Like the effect in the middle of Jacobs Ladder, anything to clean his voice up would have been fine with me.

fing.gif try flushing your ears, good chance they are plugged with wax.

Apparently this guy has no idea what a good singing voice is. THIS sounds like good singing to you? Jesus.

Actually, as I listened to this a few times I began to think this may be the best "singing" Geddy has ever done! He has been a great vocalist for decades. He has really tried to become a better singer for the last 15 years or so. With this performance on The Garden, he has succeeded. applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Jun 12 2012, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2012, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 6 2012, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2012, 12:31 PM)
Its a good song on this album, but man I dont know what people are hearing. I can think of a ton of songs I like more than this, but thats my opinion. Those vocals in the middle breakdown section kill me, they should have just put some effects on his voice or something to mask how much its degraded and maybe I would feel better about this song than I currently do.

Like the effect in the middle of Jacobs Ladder, anything to clean his voice up would have been fine with me.

fing.gif try flushing your ears, good chance they are plugged with wax.

Apparently this guy has no idea what a good singing voice is. THIS sounds like good singing to you? Jesus.

Actually, as I listened to this a few times I began to think this may be the best "singing" Geddy has ever done! He has been a great vocalist for decades. He has really tried to become a better singer for the last 15 years or so. With this performance on The Garden, he has succeeded. applaudit.gif

I agree.... to my ( untrained ) ear, he sounds incredible....

Like other positive comments....what a song! Like so many of us old.gif fans, Rush and Neil's writing has been by my side through so much. But, while I loved the last few records, they havn't provided me that kind of emotional attachment. This album, in particular this song, is doing it for me. It's so great to feel it again after so long. I never thought it would happen.

Anyway....The Garden....Wonderful lyrics. The strings, the piano, Ged's wonderful singing and that solo from Alex. Just amazing! You can really hear his David Gilmour influences. Well done boys!

The only thing that scares me about the song is it almost sounds like a goodbye. I know it's not but...

I'm really, really glad that the orchestra means it probably will not be played live.

Because I don't need to burst into tears at a Rush concert.

Yeah, it's that beautiful and touching. I can see why Neil teared up listening to the orchestra record its part.

Just to chime in, I did change the track order in iTunes:

Caravan

BU2B

CA

Anarchist

Carnies

Halo

7 Cities

Wreckers

Bu2B2

Wish Them Well

The Garden

Headlong Flight

This gives me the storyline and emotional ending I personally prefer, just makes more sense to me this way: the kid has adventures, lives, learns to let go and gains the wisdom to understand what's important and in the end he would do it all again. It just makes sense to me to have BU2B2 after The Wreckers...that's the low point for the character, why wouldn't it come next?

It's really interesting to have The Garden end on that awesome lone cello note and fade into Headlong Flight. I like it, me wants my rock albums to end with a bang.

1022.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 12 2012, 07:30 AM)
I'll say this for "The Garden" - it nearly brought me to tears, and that's not a reaction I've ever had from a Rush song. It's an emotionally beautiful coda to all which came before it - on the album, and in the lives of Rush and their fans.

We're left feeling grateful for the journey the album took us on, and for the lifelong journey the BAND has taken us on.

yes.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 12 2012, 08:59 PM)

Caravan
BU2B
CA
Anarchist
Carnies
Halo
7 Cities
Wreckers
Bu2B2
Wish Them Well
The Garden
Headlong Flight

This gives me the storyline and emotional ending I personally prefer, just makes more sense to me this way: the kid has adventures, lives, learns to let go and gains the wisdom to understand what's important and in the end he would do it all again. It just makes sense to me to have BU2B2 after The Wreckers...that's the low point for the character, why wouldn't it come next?

It's really interesting to have The Garden end on that awesome lone cello note and fade into Headlong Flight. I like it, me wants my rock albums to end with a bang.

1022.gif

Hmmmm......interesting....

I think once we read the novel, the current order might make more sense.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 12 2012, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 12 2012, 08:59 PM)

Caravan
BU2B
CA
Anarchist
Carnies
Halo
7 Cities
Wreckers
Bu2B2
Wish Them Well
The Garden
Headlong Flight

1022.gif

Hmmmm......interesting....

I think once we read the novel, the current order might make more sense.

Nah, pretty sure I have it right. 1022.gif

***goose bumps*** (first listen, play-by-play)

holding back the knowing tears

allusions to so many Ru$h themes... time please stand still!

What?! Piano drops? Geddy so emotionally delivering Neil's emotional and pregnant lyrics.

Oh no... here's Alex. Can the emotion go any deeper?

dragging a bit here... but suspended in the allness of Rush lyrics... "the measure of a life"... love...

cello, so sincere

*hits replay*