The Garden

vital signz

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 10 2012, 10:03 PM)
Who would have thought that Rush could write a song that brings 50% of the people that hear it to near tears? It's not just us. Many comments on youtube said the same thing.

You are so right there Presto as it moves me to tears and I'm not afraid to admit it and it is now in my top ten RUSH songs list. 2.gif trink39.gif

Edited by different strings

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jun 9 2012, 07:26 PM)
I purposely did not listen to "The Garden" for the last 4 days just to see if i would feel the same after taking a break from it and maybe get a little different perspective perhaps - I just listened to it 20 minutes ago - Same Goose Bumps, Same Choked up feeling in my throat that i had the first time I heard it -

This song is extraordinary -

I applaud you. I have done the same thing with masturbation--days 3 and 4, it doesn't seem possible and doesn't seem safe for yourself or others. And then you're back and the feeling is unmistakable.

QUOTE (Hiding in plain sight @ Jun 10 2012, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jun 9 2012, 07:26 PM)
I purposely did not listen to "The Garden" for the last 4 days just to see if i would feel the same after taking a break from it and maybe get a little different perspective perhaps - I just listened to it 20 minutes ago - Same Goose Bumps, Same Choked up feeling in my throat that i had the first time I heard it -

I applaud you. I have done the same thing with masturbation--days 3 and 4, it doesn't seem possible and doesn't seem safe for yourself or others. And then you're back and the feeling is unmistakable.

spit6ph.gif

laugh.gif

the strings on this song remind me of the strings used on the Psychedelic Furs' tune "World Outside" from the album of the same name in 1991.

"World Outside"

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jun 10 2012, 12:26 AM)

For me, the measure of a truly great song is if it moves me emotionally. On every level possible, The Garden does this. It is simple in its construction and Ged's voice without the layering is raw and I agree that Lerxst's solo is one of the most moving he's ever done.

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Jun 10 2012, 11:57 AM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jun 10 2012, 12:26 AM)

For me, the measure of a truly great song is if it moves me emotionally. On every level possible, The Garden does this. It is simple in its construction and Ged's voice without the layering is raw and I agree that Lerxst's solo is one of the most moving he's ever done.

The La Villa, Limelight, and The Garden solos are probably now part of my favorite solos ever.

All right, I'm in. 6th listen thru the album recently and TG clicked for me. So incredibly different for Rush, guess I needed to digest it & CA as a whole. Great song.

Though, perhaps, should it really be the ending song? From the character's storyline I'm thinking that TG should be next to last with HF coming last: the young man now grown old, learning the wisdom of Wish Them Well and The Garden now looks back on his life and says "I'd do it all again."? Maybe. Maybe not.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 10 2012, 03:02 PM)
Though, perhaps, should it really be the ending song? From the character's storyline I'm thinking that TG should be next to last with HF coming last: the young man now grown old, learning the wisdom of Wish Them Well and The Garden now looks back on his life and says "I'd do it all again."?  Maybe. Maybe not.

The line Neil quotes in the liner notes about "tending our garden" is the last line of Candide. If that's his inspiration, there was no other choice. The Garden is a fantastic end to the album.

Headlong Flight with BU2B2 right after is an excellent contrast.

The Garden is a perfect choice for an album closer, no doubt. It's the sentiment that sums up a life. And I'm glad that it ends on a lovely refrain as opposed to a rousing up-tempo number. Poignant. But then some people hate ballads generally speaking, so no accounting for tastes.

When I heard The Garden the first time, I felt that feeling of knowing that you have to walk through a lot of shit in your life to get to a point where you appreciate the treasured moments in life that carried you to a place like 'The Garden' is. Most of the people on this board had Neil's lyrics carry them through such moments. His imprint our lives is forever, in the way we love, the way we hurt, what means anything to us, and how we heal. This song, in particular may say something about all of that.

I like that perhaps the vocals are not technically the most able, but there is passion and devotion to what the song is trying to say, and thats enough for me. I'm biased, sure, but I'll take Rush's worst moments over many other bands best.

This is brilliant... the music fits perfectly with the lyrics....

I don't know if it's the best song they've ever written, but I know that it moves me like unlike anything they've else ever done.

Edited by Phantom

This again is true...

The Garden, along with 7 cities of gold is the RUSH we deserve.

That RUSH deserves. This album is fowhing sick, (sic).

Awww, nice, awwww, beautiful (in the words of my 3 yr old, ELizabeth).

I look fwd to the setlist...

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 11 2012, 12:05 AM)
QUOTE (Jar2112 @ Jun 10 2012, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 10 2012, 10:09 PM)
Somewhere Geddy said he felt like he had "one great song" in him.

He found it. Thanks.

This

This again

Seriously? You people are overrating this song to epic proportions now. Geddy finally wrote a great song? Really? Unless this is your first Rush album you must know that Geddy has already wrote many great songs before this one. I hate to be negative on anything when it comes to Rush's music but everybody needs to get a grip when it comes to this song.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 11 2012, 01:39 PM)

He found it. Thanks.

This

This again

Seriously? You people are overrating this song to epic proportions now. Geddy finally wrote a great song? Really? Unless this is your first Rush album you must know that Geddy has already wrote many great songs before this one. I hate to be negative on anything when it comes to Rush's music but everybody needs to get a grip when it comes to this song.

The way I read that was that Geddy believed he had one great song left to write, which he has done now with The Garden. I don't think the above poster meant this was the only great song Ged has written.

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Jun 11 2012, 08:40 AM)

He found it. Thanks.

This

This again

The way I read that was that Geddy believed he had one great song left to write, which he has done now with The Garden. I don't think the above poster meant this was the only great song Ged has written.

OK, that makes more sense. But that one slip makes a world of difference in the statement.

The Garden is a very good song. Rush does have better songs though.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 11 2012, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Jun 11 2012, 08:40 AM)

He found it. Thanks.

This

This again

OK, that makes more sense. But that one slip makes a world of difference in the statement.

Yeah I agree, it's misleading.

To me this is the first Rush album maybe since Hold Your Fire, where they seem to be truly "themselves", and not sounding "forced" or like they're conforming to the times or other influences. It seems to be back to what they want to sound like. Much of the material between HYF and VT sounds a bit contrived, especially late 80s and early 90s.

Overall best album since HYF.