The Garden

vital signz

This song almost touched me as much as Tears did. It's such a beautiful masterpiece. I hope they do play a massive chunk of these songs live. Neil's playing is godly, I am actually enjoying Ged's voice A TON, and Alex's clever placement of chords is just magnificent. The Wreckers also gives me this massive vibe The Garden has. All I want to do is close my eyes and bob to them for the rest of my life. lol 653.gif

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, The Garden is a sick well song. Can't help it, but it is Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Beatles, The Who, RUSH and the world in 2012 for all of us. Embrace puh leeze. Pre song headshake is optional or contingent. U decide. The Garden. Insta.

I hope they play that song, but to do that, they will have to use the recording of all the classical arrangements there is on that song. I'll put this song in the second set to give a break to Neil after his drum solo.

This song makes me pray for an orchestra to join them on this tour.

Can you all imagine how epic it will be to see this song performed live.

Imagine Geddy playing those cool bass runs before and between verses, then stopping....everything quiet, then he approaches the piano and tickles the ivory... the strings all around them...

The visual interaction between Rush and their visitors on stage actually playing with the Holy Triumvirate...

Then enter Big Al to just melt the faces off of the audience with the epic solo...

Then the outro, with the cello fading out the last note.

I just gave myself goosebumps!

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 7 2012, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Jun 7 2012, 05:55 PM)
from the opening note in concert, this song is going to kill everyone there

I doubt that. It's a new song and it's a slow song so it might not go over too well. Anyone remember how bad of a reception The Larger Bowl got on the S&A tour? It killed all right, the crowd completely died during it. Don't be surprised if this song gets the same sort of reaction IF it's played live.

The Larger Bowl is terrible though. I can't imagine most people who like CA not wanting to hear The Garden live.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 8 2012, 06:23 AM)

I doubt that. It's a new song and it's a slow song so it might not go over too well. Anyone remember how bad of a reception The Larger Bowl got on the S&A tour? It killed all right, the crowd completely died during it. Don't be surprised if this song gets the same sort of reaction IF it's played live.

The Larger Bowl is terrible though. I can't imagine most people who like CA not wanting to hear The Garden live.

I think the Larger Bowl is an ok song but I get what you're saying. It's a big risk to take a slow new song that many don't know and play it live though. The same thing happened with Resist on the T4E tour. The crowd was compeltely dead and couldn't care less about the song. That's why I think playing The Garden might not be a wise choice.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 8 2012, 06:43 AM)

I think the Larger Bowl is an ok song but I get what you're saying. It's a big risk to take a slow new song that many don't know and play it live though. The same thing happened with Resist on the T4E tour. The crowd was compeltely dead and couldn't care less about the song. That's why I think playing The Garden might not be a wise choice.

Now wait a minute. Think about that. If they play a slow song like Resist, what do you expect the crowd to do? Jump around like maniacs and flail around playing air guitar? Of course they're more subdued than they are during Spirit of Radio or Tom Sawyer... that's completely expected. That doesn't mean they weren't into the song or that they didn't care about it.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 8 2012, 08:46 AM)
Such a gorgeous song, and one of Alex's finest solos in many a long day.

This will be killer live. Goosebump city.

My feelings exactly. GREAT solo and I always get bums on my arms.

LOVE that song!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 8 2012, 07:49 AM)

Now wait a minute. Think about that. If they play a slow song like Resist, what do you expect the crowd to do? Jump around like maniacs and flail around playing air guitar? Of course they're more subdued than they are during Spirit of Radio or Tom Sawyer... that's completely expected. That doesn't mean they weren't into the song or that they didn't care about it.

Oh no, that's not what I expected at all. Maybe I should've said that the crowd was dead because there wasn't anybody even singing along to the songs and they didn't get any cheering from the crowd when they started playing them. It just seems from the Rush shows i've been to the crowd doesn't care too much for the slower songs at all.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 8 2012, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 8 2012, 07:49 AM)

Oh no, that's not what I expected at all. Maybe I should've said that the crowd was dead because there wasn't anybody even singing along to the songs and they didn't get any cheering from the crowd when they started playing them. It just seems from the Rush shows i've been to the crowd doesn't care too much for the slower songs at all.

I think things will be different with The Garden and Halo Effect, and the beginning of BU2B, and hell, I'd bet big bucks on hearing Losing It too...

We'll have to wait and see on that. Who knows if The Garden will even be played at all? I hope people don't get their hopes up too high for it because they will only be more disappointed if it doesn't make the set.

I spoke too soon! I gave the Garden another listen and it clicked with me. Beautiful song. Hopefully it comes out this tour. I now also hope that they bring along a string section or something to play these beautiful parts.

Samples just wouldn't do these songs justice.

For me, its the most moving Rush track in decades.

The strings at the begining remind me of the late great John Barry and the whole song has a melancolic yet uplifiting feel.

After just one listen I woke up the next day with the melody in my head.

LOVE IT. biggrin.gif

Eh. Mission is still a much better solo. The solo in The Garden isn't brought out enough, like it was in Mission.

Beautiful song. This line grabs me:

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect

So hard to earn, so easily burned

In the fullness of time

A garden to nurture and protect

I was listening to The Garden last night as I was falling asleep...

First off it felt like it lasted forever, but it took me on a huge introspective journey, which I can't even remember... All I know was that it was amazing.

Beautiful song.

I don't know what it is...But this song just absolutely gets to me EVERY SINGLE TIME I LISTEN TO IT! The orchestra, the trio, Geddy's voice, the piano...They just flow so smoothly together. This song always makes me just reflect on my life and all the good/bad times. It sometimes makes me shed a tear or two and give me goosebumps up the wahzoo. I love sharing this song with all my friends, it's just a fantastic song. This.....this is more than JUSt a song. It's pure art. Rush, thank you.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 9 2012, 03:32 AM)
I don't know what it is...But this song just absolutely gets to me EVERY SINGLE TIME I LISTEN TO IT! The orchestra, the trio, Geddy's voice, the piano...They just flow so smoothly together. This song always makes me just reflect on my life and all the good/bad times. It sometimes makes me shed a tear or two and give me goosebumps up the wahzoo. I love sharing this song with all my friends, it's just a fantastic song. This.....this is more than JUSt a song. It's pure art. Rush, thank you.

yes.gif

I think it's a song that any music fans we'll love even not Rush's fans.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2012, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 6 2012, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2012, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (fiznab @ Jun 6 2012, 12:35 PM)
Effects on the vocals would ruin the point of them.

He sounds like he is dying there. Effects would sure as shit have made it better for me. Smooth it out, mask the blatant flaws in the quality of his voice now. That vibrato sounds like a 90 year old man trying to sing, its awful. Anything to cover that up would definitely work for me.

trenken.............bringing negativity to positive threads since April 07. yes.gif

Its an opinion. Do you know what those are? If something sounds like shit, it sounds like shit and Ill say it. Those vocals are REALLY bad, so I made a suggestion effects would be nice. Thats all. You're big boys now and should be able to handle that.

Really?

I'm the first to admit when/where Ged's vocals don't sound great... and quite often when he's " reaching " vocally, I'd agree that those are not his best moments.

On this song, I'm loving his vocals....

I've only been listening to this song, and the album for a day, and I'm really struck by it.....

Geddy's voice has never sounded more beautiful to me than it does on The Garden.

Edited by Phantom

I just heard The Garden for the first time. Wow, such a beautiful song! This song will bring tears to our eyes when they play it live! Love the strings and guitar solo. I can't believe some people are complaing about Geddy's voice, it's never been better imo.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 9 2012, 03:32 AM)

Well said! goodpost.gif