The Garden

vital signz

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 6 2012, 01:48 PM)
While I don't normally bring the negativity like trenken seems to, I am in agreement that this is a good song but nothing more than that. I don't think Geddy sounds awful on it and the way he sings it fits the song well. I'm still not understanding the whole "this is one of their best songs ever" line that's floating around here though. Once the newness of this song wears off and you think about how many great tunes this band has recorded over the years, hopefully everyone will come back to reality and realize this song just isn't the all time masterpiece you think it is. It's just a good song and a nice closing to the album and the story being told on Clockwork Angels, that's all.

So, in your opinion, it's not realistic for me to really really like this song?

"Hopefully, everyone will come back to reality"

Don't you think that's kinda arrogant and silly?

A song either makes you feel a certian way or it doesn't. Why do people try to convince others that a song is or isn't good?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (umoveme @ Jun 6 2012, 03:59 PM)
While I don't normally bring the negativity like trenken seems to, I am in agreement that this is a good song but nothing more than that. I don't think Geddy sounds awful on it and the way he sings it fits the song well. I'm still not understanding the whole "this is one of their best songs ever" line that's floating around here though. Once the newness of this song wears off and you think about how many great tunes this band has recorded over the years, hopefully everyone will come back to reality and realize this song just isn't the all time masterpiece you think it is. It's just a good song and a nice closing to the album and the story being told on Clockwork Angels, that's all.

A song either makes you feel a certian way or it doesn't. Why do people try to convince others that a song is or isn't good?

Because everyone has an opinion and everyone believes theirs is the right one rofl3.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 6 2012, 04:12 PM)
I know one thing. The Garden has my favorite guitar solo, ever on it. Of any band. It's a damn magical solo.

It is perfection. Alex plays that solo for probably 25-30 seconds, but I swear it moves me more that anything I have heard played by the likes of Hendrix, Page, Beck, Clapton, Satriani, Van Halen, Petrucci... maybe ever. Man I am having a hard time thinking of anything that emotive by any rock guitarist.

QUOTE (umoveme @ Jun 6 2012, 02:59 PM)

That was and always is my point with this kind of debate. It's completely understandable that any song in question is not going to hit everybody the same way and that's fine, if it does nothing for you I accept that. But that's not the same thing as "I don't like it so people who do must have lower standards than me" or "They don't really feel that way, they're just incapable of being objective". That attitude is incredibly insulting and totally misguided anyway. There's no reason people shouldn't be able to state their own opinion firmly without simultaneously dismissing different opinions as inferior. This is art, there's no right or wrong to it. It's all a matter of taste and personal sensibility.

Try this:

1. "I love The Garden." - That shouldn't bother the people that don't like it.

2. "I love The Garden and anyone who says they don't must be lacking some basic humanity, but maybe they'll grow up and develop some taste some day." - Pretty fricking insulting, isn't it?

Don't you see how you're not just stating your opinion when you do that? These examples on this thread aren't really that bad so I don't mean to single out anybody but I see that kind of thing but worse all the time and when they're called on it they just say "Hey, that's just my opinion". No it's not, you're trying to have an opinion for yourself and others at the same time. That's the difference. smile.gif You can write "The Garden is crap!" all day if you want and it doesn't bother me a bit but telling those of us that do like it that we just need to wake up or have higher standards is a real problem with me. Obviously. laugh.gif

Anyway, I don't have anything against anyone here, just wanted to get that off my chest.

Such a beautiful song and so different for Rush. Its arrange beautifully and I think it's one of their best songs in how it closes. It's simple and repetitive, yet it has such a powerful impact to touch your heart for that very reason. It intrigues me how Alex's solo was a throwaway solo until he could find a proper solo towards the end of the song's process. It goes to show that Alex is best at being spontaneous and from the heart, instead of thinking about things too much. He even has on many occasions mention this himself.

I'm still not fully sure on The Garden either. I feel like something is really missing. I mean the lyrics are great, the music is very nice and it's got some great moods in it, but I feel like it just lacks something.

I don't know, nothing about it really sticks with me. I find it kinda forgettable to be honest.

Halo effect on the other hand... wub.gif

It makes me so happy that 2.gif still has the power to affect people this way. It doesn't bother in the least that not every one feels the same. Most criticisms are valid even if disagreed with. But it just amazes and warms me that the boys can pull out something so different that has such an impact for so many. Way to go!

QUOTE (umoveme @ Jun 6 2012, 12:59 PM)

Shut up and hate the awesomeness that is The Garden already. tongue.gif

Edited by hunter

I never said it was unrealistic for someone to really like the song, i'm not sure where you got that from? I like the song myself. What i'm taking issue with is people saying it's one of the best Rush songs ever. With a band that has such an incredible body of work, how can anyone say that a brand new song can stand beside all the great songs they've done that have stood the test of time? You can't say that about a new song until time has passed. I just think people are jumping the gun when it comes to calling it one of the best songs they've ever done. Maybe the "coming back to reality" line was a bit harsh but i've experienced it many times where fans, myself included, will freak out about how great a new song is but 6 months or a year later it doesn't have the same love.

I'm not trying to be negative or mock anybody's love for the song, that's not my intention and is certainly not my style on this board. All i'm saying is that it's way too soon to be calling it one of their best songs ever. I have nothing negative to say against the song, but i'm just not hearing the greatness in it that so many others are.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 6 2012, 03:48 PM)

But over time, if some people still do consider this a masterpiece and a favorite, what then? Would they be wrong?

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Jun 6 2012, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 6 2012, 12:39 PM)
Eh don't stress over it trenken. Apparently we're part of a minority that are picky enough to know when to admit something isn't quite as good as it could be. There's no sense trying to convince someone who has already made up their mind something is flawless.

Why would you be allowed to convince someone because you're picky, when they can't convince you that it's flawless in their minds?

It's opinion.

This.... yes.gif Goes both ways.

More bickering dazed025.gif

I love the way Geddy's vocal is not double tracked like he seems to do all the time now plus as I posted earlier the song aint trying to be clever it's just a brilliantly written and played song....some will like & some will not & that's cool!

Edited by Sarge

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 6 2012, 05:28 PM)

But over time, if some people still do consider this a masterpiece and a favorite, what then? Would they be wrong?

No, they won't be because the song would have proven it can stand the test of time and will have earned it's spot as an all time great song on people's lists. Who knows, maybe one day down the road the song will finally click with me at the level it seems to for so many others right now. Until then I will stick with my original opinion that it's a good song but nothing more.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 6 2012, 05:35 PM)

No, they won't be because the song would have proven it can stand the test of time and will have earned it's spot as an all time great song. Who knows, maybe one day down the road the song will finally click with me at the level it seems to for so many others right now. Until then I will stick with my original opinion that it's a good song but nothing more.

I respect your opinion. yes.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 6 2012, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 6 2012, 05:35 PM)

No, they won't be because the song would have proven it can stand the test of time and will have earned it's spot as an all time great song. Who knows, maybe one day down the road the song will finally click with me at the level it seems to for so many others right now. Until then I will stick with my original opinion that it's a good song but nothing more.

I respect your opinion. yes.gif

trink39.gif

It's definitely a good song, but to be honest it's probably my least favorite on the album. It's bittersweet and I tend to not gravitate towards the bittersweet, but! The fact that it evokes an emotional response in me like that just proves it's a good song. wink.gif

On a side note, Jason Sniderman plays the piano on the track, and I thought that name sounded familiar... he played "additional keyboards" way back on the Presto album. Kinda nice to see an old collaborator wandering through again. smile.gif

QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 6 2012, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (umoveme @ Jun 6 2012, 12:59 PM)

Shut up and hate the awesomeness that is The Garden already. tongue.gif

Okaaaay, I hate it now. Thank you for convincing me.

smile.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 6 2012, 03:26 PM)

I never said it was unrealistic for someone to really like the song, i'm not sure where you got that from? I like the song myself. What i'm taking issue with is people saying it's one of the best Rush songs ever. With a band that has such an incredible body of work, how can anyone say that a brand new song can stand beside all the great songs they've done that have stood the test of time? You can't say that about a new song until time has passed. I just think people are jumping the gun when it comes to calling it one of the best songs they've ever done. Maybe the "coming back to reality" line was a bit harsh but i've experienced it many times where fans, myself included, will freak out about how great a new song is but 6 months or a year later it doesn't have the same love.

I'm not trying to be negative or mock anybody's love for the song, that's not my intention and is certainly not my style on this board. All i'm saying is that it's way too soon to be calling it one of their best songs ever. I have nothing negative to say against the song, but i'm just not hearing the greatness in it that so many others are.

I got that from "hopefully everyone will come back to reality."

Anyhoo, I hope it grows on you. I'm just sayin' I really dig it. That's all!!

smile.gif

1022.gif

I love the song, and Geddy's aged vocals truly accentuate it. It's like a tired, weary soldier finally returning home, reflecting upon his life, the good and evil, love and respect he has experienced. Same with BU2B2, the vocals really make the song. The Garden is a perfect closer song and I really think it will stand the test of time.

Changing Geddy's vocals to "perfect" the song would just be ridiculous, IMO. This is Rush, their recordings are fairly raw and truly reflect upon themselves as musicians. Just imagine an autotuned Geddy 062802puke_prv.gif

On an album of outstanding songs The Garden is a little less outstanding for me. I appreciate the sentiment and truth of the lyrics and think it makes a fine finish to the story but it just doesn't grab me. It should, it's designed to...but it doesn't.