The Garden

vital signz

QUOTE (Jar2112 @ Jun 9 2012, 09:52 AM)
After watching the little "behind the scenes" video of the making of Clockwork Angels, I'm convinced they will play it on this tour. Geddy sites that song as his proudest moment as a song writer.

My hope is that they play an acoustic version of it....

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RUDT @ Jun 9 2012, 06:28 AM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 9 2012, 03:32 AM)
I don't know what it is...But this song just absolutely gets to me EVERY SINGLE TIME I LISTEN TO IT! The orchestra, the trio, Geddy's voice, the piano...They just flow so smoothly together. This song always makes me just reflect on my life and all the good/bad times. It sometimes makes me shed a tear or two and give me goosebumps up the wahzoo. I love sharing this song with all my friends, it's just a fantastic song. This.....this is more than JUSt a song. It's pure art. Rush, thank you.

yes.gif

I think it's a song that any music fans we'll love even not Rush's fans.

This song NEEDS to win awards. That will bring me morale up for humanity ten fold.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 8 2012, 07:43 AM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 8 2012, 06:23 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 7 2012, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Jun 7 2012, 05:55 PM)
from the opening note in concert, this song is going to kill everyone there

I doubt that. It's a new song and it's a slow song so it might not go over too well. Anyone remember how bad of a reception The Larger Bowl got on the S&A tour? It killed all right, the crowd completely died during it. Don't be surprised if this song gets the same sort of reaction IF it's played live.

The Larger Bowl is terrible though. I can't imagine most people who like CA not wanting to hear The Garden live.

I think the Larger Bowl is an ok song but I get what you're saying. It's a big risk to take a slow new song that many don't know and play it live though. The same thing happened with Resist on the T4E tour. The crowd was compeltely dead and couldn't care less about the song. That's why I think playing The Garden might not be a wise choice.

What's the risk - that some fans might not like it??

Given the amount of songs they play, I don't think Rush concern themselves with making sure every single song completely wows the crowd.

Yes, it's about entertaining the audience - but let's not forget they are artists presenting their work.

i too am magically moved by THE GARDEN.

it message(at my age!) is very introspective and the melody is gorgeous.

song structure is so good too...great build up.. that coldplay piano part is bold in that its as if there is 4th member joining in for the crescendo...

and of course the emotional strings at the end.

but what gets me, and i think most, is that looping vocal at the end..."its the measure of a man"....as the strings swirl...just emotional!

its interesting as i listen, that its not groundbreaking arrangment..because you can find tons of artists that build their emotional endings in this manner...strings piano vocal counterpoints etc...

BUT it is a nice device when the TRIO does it...because its not that common for them..then it sounds brilliant.

the garden ending uses that counter point melody, which seems to always make geddy's melodys stick to you...and then you have the powerful connection.

same device(IMO) we felt with the endings of:

Bravado(we can count the..)

Presto(wave my magic wand..)

Nobody's Hero(Nobodys HEROO...)

Available light(in the available lighttttt...)

and even

Warpaint(the mirror always lies)

and

No one has yet to note that this song/garden owes some to the beautiful

ANGELS SHARE from ged's solo album...

the beginning of the garden reminds me so much of that song...and AS has that circular chorus and strings that also connect like the Garden(what it doenst have is alex and his fine work on G)...

Bravo to the Garden!!

peace.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 9 2012, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 8 2012, 07:43 AM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 8 2012, 06:23 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 7 2012, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Jun 7 2012, 05:55 PM)
from the opening note in concert, this song is going to kill everyone there

I doubt that. It's a new song and it's a slow song so it might not go over too well. Anyone remember how bad of a reception The Larger Bowl got on the S&A tour? It killed all right, the crowd completely died during it. Don't be surprised if this song gets the same sort of reaction IF it's played live.

The Larger Bowl is terrible though. I can't imagine most people who like CA not wanting to hear The Garden live.

I think the Larger Bowl is an ok song but I get what you're saying. It's a big risk to take a slow new song that many don't know and play it live though. The same thing happened with Resist on the T4E tour. The crowd was compeltely dead and couldn't care less about the song. That's why I think playing The Garden might not be a wise choice.

What's the risk - that some fans might not like it??

Given the amount of songs they play, I don't think Rush concern themselves with making sure every single song completely wows the crowd.

Yes, it's about entertaining the audience - but let's not forget they are artists presenting their work.

The Garden does this to Resist or The Larger Bowl:

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/1913954_o.gif

The Garden is so far the only song that I've looked up that isn't what has been already released or that live thing of the title track on Facebook.

I think this will be the best song on the album, and I hope that the other songs are as good as The Garden.

QUOTE (Earthshine_sf @ Jun 7 2012, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (English Muffin @ Jun 7 2012, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine_sf @ Jun 7 2012, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (English Muffin @ Jun 7 2012, 12:18 PM)
Just worked it out on acoustic, It is already one of my most favourite songs to play smile.gif

What are the chords?

Its in D tuning and...

Beginning - G F C G (as you would do those chords normally)

Other part - Am C and then a run down from F to D (with the little dalada on the first string)

Done by ear so probably not 100% accurate trink39.gif

Open D? (D A D F# A D)

I was just picking it out and didn't want to re-tune my guitar, so for those of you with a floating trem it is possible to play it in standard tuning.

Verse F > E flat (sus 2 if you feel like it) > B flat

Chorus Chords Gm > B flat > E flat > E flat with D bass> C > B flat

(though it is doubled with the arpeggiated G (bass) D G D E flat D repeat with bass note changing G > B flat > E flat > D > C > B flat

Middle section Just sort of plays around in F and FMaj7.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (GuitarKid 1880 @ Jun 9 2012, 01:17 PM)
The Garden is so far the only song that I've looked up that isn't what has been already released or that live thing of the title track on Facebook.

I think this will be the best song on the album, and I hope that the other songs are as good as The Garden.

I have listened to the Garden once, the rest of the songs im in love with. Absolutely ZERO filler on this album. applaudit.gif

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 9 2012, 10:09 AM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Jun 9 2012, 06:28 AM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 9 2012, 03:32 AM)
I don't know what it is...But this song just absolutely gets to me EVERY SINGLE TIME I LISTEN TO IT! The orchestra, the trio, Geddy's voice, the piano...They just flow so smoothly together. This song always makes me just reflect on my life and all the good/bad times. It sometimes makes me shed a tear or two and give me goosebumps up the wahzoo. I love sharing this song with all my friends, it's just a fantastic song. This.....this is more than JUSt a song. It's pure art. Rush, thank you.

yes.gif

I think it's a song that any music fans we'll love even not Rush's fans.

This song NEEDS to win awards. That will bring me morale up for humanity ten fold.

Don't hold your breath!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Hakky2112 @ Jun 8 2012, 02:34 AM)
Yes, The Garden is a sick well song.  Can't help it, but it is Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Beatles, The Who, RUSH and the world in 2012 for all of us.  Embrace puh leeze.  Pre song headshake is optional or contingent.  U decide.  The Garden.  Insta.

Not sure if this is what you were implying but as I was listening to The Garden for what must be the 20th time at least, it occurred to me that there are few songs I enjoy so much that I can listen to them over and over like that.

IMHO (and by no means am I trying to compare Rush to these bands, or even compare The Garden to the songs I will name - wouldn't want to start any new debates), I consider (but not suggesting everyone else should) The Garden to be Rush's equivalent to Floyd's Comfortably Numb, Beatles' Hey Jude. Eagles' Hotel California, Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody or (to get closer to Rush's era/genre) Queensryche's Silent Lucidity.

I also feel this is the best song they have ended an album with since Natural Science on Permanent Waves.

I purposely did not listen to "The Garden" for the last 4 days just to see if i would feel the same after taking a break from it and maybe get a little different perspective perhaps - I just listened to it 20 minutes ago - Same Goose Bumps, Same Choked up feeling in my throat that i had the first time I heard it -

This song is extraordinary -

Edited by alphseeker

Like i've said before it's a good song but i'm still not getting choked up or these goosebumps listening to it like everyone else is. I get why people like it but I don't get why so many people are holding this song at the highest standard possible. That's my final verdict on the song.

The more I think abot though, it seems that they will do it live. After Neil's solo Alex will come out and play some acoustic thing that will lead into The Garden. That's the perfect way to give Neil his break.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jun 9 2012, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (fiznab @ Jun 6 2012, 11:52 AM)
The strained and fatigued sound of his voice does wonders for the mood of the song. 'Perfecting' it would definitely take something away from it.

goodpost.gif

The studio version of Bravado achieves a similar effect with a slightly fatigued voice from Geddy.

trink39.gif

The album hasn't even been officially released yet, and people are arguing and bickering over things that nobody has any control over. Yes "the Garden" is an exception song by any standards, I think a lot of people are surprised they still had a song like this in them and this is what ticks them off. This is a great song . the intro is reminiscent of some of the acoustic ditties from the seventies, the middle is more modern and the ending is just wow! one of the best songs they ever put together, just listen to it, don't fight it, love it

QUOTE (hellion @ Jun 9 2012, 08:48 PM)
The album hasn't even been officially released yet, and people are arguing and bickering over things that nobody has any control over. Yes "the Garden" is an exception song by any standards, I think a lot of people are surprised they still had a song like this in them and this is what ticks them off. This is a great song . the intro is reminiscent of some of the acoustic ditties from the seventies, the middle is more modern and the ending is just wow! one of the best songs they ever put together, just listen to it, don't fight it, love it

It's been 'officially released' the world over. Don't think that our arbitrary U.S. sale date is the final word on the matter wink.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 9 2012, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (hellion @ Jun 9 2012, 08:48 PM)

It's been 'officially released' the world over. Don't think that our arbitrary U.S. sale date is the final word on the matter wink.gif

Agreed, the US has nothing to do with it 1022.gif 2.gif

Thanks for the piano tidbit-connection.

Available light's vocals and guitar solo always gave me HUGE goosebumps, more than any ENDER until...The Garden.

Nice comment, love those keys...

It's a very good song and is the standout on the album for me.

Sort of Entre Nous/Different Strings for the 21st Century.

Edited by Tony R

smile.gif I am very happy to read all the love for THE GARDEN and I for one can't get enough of this song I just love it and it is so emotional. It is easily my fave on this brilliant album and Ged's voice really shines. 2.gif trink39.gif