The Garden

vital signz

Amazing. I've been listening since I was 13. I am 47 now.

My favorite song varies from time to time, usually between La Villa Strangiato to Limelight to The Spirit of Radio.

There is just something so moving and lovely about this song. Not a lot of balls underneath this song, it shows the band's softer side. The lyrics and music are so emotive and pure.

The lyric "The hours tick away....The cells tick away" makes me ache deep inside.

This song captures life in 7 minutes more than any other song I can think of.

Finally Alex's guitar solo is simply beautiful. His choice of notes sublime.

So, for the time being, this is my new favorite Rush song!

cool.gif

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 44 and I've been a hardcore fan for around 30 years and I e-mailed one of my friends earlier and said the same thing. I think it's my favorite Rush song or at least it's tied with a few for first. And I don't say that every time a new album comes out, either.

Its a good song on this album, but man I dont know what people are hearing. I can think of a ton of songs I like more than this, but thats my opinion. Those vocals in the middle breakdown section kill me, they should have just put some effects on his voice or something to mask how much its degraded and maybe I would feel better about this song than I currently do.

Like the effect in the middle of Jacobs Ladder, anything to clean his voice up would have been fine with me.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2012, 12:31 PM)
Its a good song on this album, but man I dont know what people are hearing. I can think of a ton of songs I like more than this, but thats my opinion. Those vocals in the middle breakdown section kill me, they should have just put some effects on his voice or something to mask how much its degraded and maybe I would feel better about this song than I currently do.

Like the effect in the middle of Jacobs Ladder, anything to clean his voice up would have been fine with me.

fing.gif try flushing your ears, good chance they are plugged with wax.

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 6 2012, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2012, 12:31 PM)

fing.gif try flushing your ears, good chance they are plugged with wax.

Apparently this guy has no idea what a good singing voice is. THIS sounds like good singing to you? Jesus.

QUOTE (fiznab @ Jun 6 2012, 12:35 PM)
Effects on the vocals would ruin the point of them.

He sounds like he is dying there. Effects would sure as shit have made it better for me. Smooth it out, mask the blatant flaws in the quality of his voice now. That vibrato sounds like a 90 year old man trying to sing, its awful. Anything to cover that up would definitely work for me.

Eh don't stress over it trenken. Apparently we're part of a minority that are picky enough to know when to admit something isn't quite as good as it could be. There's no sense trying to convince someone who has already made up their mind something is flawless.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2012, 12:37 PM)

He sounds like he is dying there. Effects would sure as shit have made it better for me. Smooth it out, mask the blatant flaws in the quality of his voice now. That vibrato sounds like a 90 year old man trying to sing, its awful. Anything to cover that up would definitely work for me.

trenken.............bringing negativity to positive threads since April 07. yes.gif

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 6 2012, 12:39 PM)
Eh don't stress over it trenken. Apparently we're part of a minority that are picky enough to know when to admit something isn't quite as good as it could be. There's no sense trying to convince someone who has already made up their mind something is flawless.

Yeah I know. Someone can think this is good singing if they want, thats absolutely insane to me but that's their opinion on it. All I did was make a suggestion that I would have preferred effects on it than just have it be all exposed and horrendous sounding.

Why would you be allowed to convince someone because you're picky, when they can't convince you that it's flawless in their minds?

It's opinion.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 6 2012, 12:42 PM)

trenken.............bringing negativity to positive threads since April 07. yes.gif

Its an opinion. Do you know what those are? If something sounds like shit, it sounds like shit and Ill say it. Those vocals are REALLY bad, so I made a suggestion effects would be nice. Thats all. You're big boys now and should be able to handle that.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2012, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 6 2012, 12:42 PM)

Its an opinion. Do you know what those are? If something sounds like shit, it sounds like shit and Ill say it. Those vocals are REALLY bad, so I made a suggestion effects would be nice. Thats all. You're big boys now and should be able to handle that.

well it's a crying shame you didn't produce the album, would have sounded much better

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 6 2012, 10:42 AM)

you can always count on him to bring a shit sandwich to the party.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Jun 6 2012, 01:43 PM)

Why would you be allowed to convince someone because you're picky, when they can't convince you that it's flawless in their minds?

It's opinion.

Not saying you should be convinced that it ISNT flawless. I'm just saying that if you've made up your mind that its amazing, then odds are you're not going to be very open to suggestion that it could use some work. It's much easier to accept a positive opinion than a negative one. That being said, people who think The Garden is great, are only going to shrug off anyones opinion that it could use some work.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 6 2012, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Jun 6 2012, 01:43 PM)

It's opinion.

Not saying you should be convinced that it ISNT flawless. I'm just saying that if you've made up your mind that its amazing, then odds are you're not going to be very open to suggestion that it could use some work. It's much easier to accept a positive opinion than a negative one. That being said, people who think The Garden is great, are only going to shrug off anyones opinion that it could use some work.

I don't mind that you don't like this song much but let me ask you this, what's your favorite Rush song? Could it be better than it is or is it flawless?

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 6 2012, 09:08 AM)
Amazing. I've been listening since I was 13. I am 47 now.

My favorite song varies from time to time, usually between La Villa Strangiato to Limelight to The Spirit of Radio.

There is just something so moving and lovely about this song. Not a lot of balls underneath this song, it shows the band's softer side. The lyrics and music are so emotive and pure.

The lyric "The hours tick away....The cells tick away" makes me ache deep inside.

This song captures life in 7 minutes more than any other song I can think of.

Finally Alex's guitar solo is simply beautiful. His choice of notes sublime.

So, for the time being, this is my new favorite Rush song!

cool.gif

We share a few Rushisms....

Falling in love with it as I type.

wub.gif

Back on thread.....(please bicker in private)

Awesome song. Been A RUSH fan since '76 and never thought i'd hear a new song again that I played over and over but there ye go!!

While I don't normally bring the negativity like trenken seems to, I am in agreement that this is a good song but nothing more than that. I don't think Geddy sounds awful on it and the way he sings it fits the song well. I'm still not understanding the whole "this is one of their best songs ever" line that's floating around here though. Once the newness of this song wears off and you think about how many great tunes this band has recorded over the years, hopefully everyone will come back to reality and realize this song just isn't the all time masterpiece you think it is. It's just a good song and a nice closing to the album and the story being told on Clockwork Angels, that's all.