Why I DON'T think CA will be played live

ALifeson85

Is how vocally demanding it would be for Geddy. First off, there are NO instrumentals on CA...so for Geddy to have to sing for over and hour straight, esp. since some of the new songs DO sound a bit vocally demanding, would KILL his voice. ph34r.gif

I can MAYBE see them splitting up the entire album, in 2 - 3 song suites throughout the show, with older songs and instrumentals in between...but for them to perform the ENTIRE album in one straight shot...like I sayed - there is no way Geddy would be able to handle that, imo. no.gif

Still though - I'm LOVING the new album, and I'm sure we will still be hearing LOTS of stuff from CA on the upcoming tour yes.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect a Snakes and Arrows tour situation- a string of new songs to start off the second set. . .

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 5 2012, 01:51 PM)
I suspect a Snakes and Arrows tour situation- a string of new songs to start off the second set. . .

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 5 2012, 01:51 PM)

THAT I can see happening, too... yes.gif

I think they will be more spaced out. I don't think they'll start off the second set with five straight again. Maybe three or four in the first set, and then five or six in the second, but with them spaced out in the eight or nine slots before the drum solo - maybe start off the set with three and then play two or three older ones and the come back with a couple more new ones. Edited by The K Man

If they planned on doing the whole album they would have said so in the Tour Press Release , just like they did when they promoted the Time Machine Tour. I also don't think they will open Any set with 4 or 5 straight new songs agian. I went to 5 S&A shows and by the 3rd song of the 2nd set , the line for Beer was Long

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 5 2012, 03:13 PM)
If they planned on doing the whole album they would have said so in the Tour Press Release , just like they did when they promoted the Time Machine Tour. I also don't think they will open Any set with 4 or 5 straight new songs agian. I went to 5 S&A shows and by the 3rd song of the 2nd set , the line for Beer was Long

Do they notice things like how long the beer line queue is, when they're in the middle of playing a gig?

unsure.gif

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 5 2012, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 5 2012, 03:13 PM)
If they planned on doing the whole album they would have said so in the Tour Press Release , just like they did when they promoted the Time Machine Tour. I also don't think they will open Any set with 4 or 5 straight new songs agian. I went to 5 S&A shows  and by the 3rd song  of the 2nd set , the line for Beer was Long

Do they notice things like how long the beer line queue is, when they're in the middle of playing a gig?

unsure.gif

trink38.gif

I don't know about that but i do know in the few states i have seen them in over the years, they request the Beer be poured into a cup . I think it sucks because the bottles are plastic , so they go from plastic to plastic laugh.gif I really don't think they give a shit anyway , they play what they want to play

My initial thought, after hearing the album a few times, was that they should play the whole thing straight through.....similar to what Porcupine Tree did with The Incident (I know that Neil respected that concert, based on some interview somewhere).

However, you make a good point about the vocals. This made me consider another option:

Clockwork Angels seems to be a retrospective on life in general. It follows the protagonist through all the generic phases of life that you read about in philisophical-type things (i.e., bright eyed optimist goes on a journey and learns that life can be crap, then realizes what is really important in life). So, it might make sense to do the concert in different phases that follow the general timeline of the CA suite. To whit:

Play the first few CA songs about yearning to leave one's upbringing and starting the journey (Caravan/BU2B/CA....discovering the world), then follow with a couple of early Rush songs.

Segue into the Anarchist/Carnies/Halo Effect....things initially seem great, but one soon learns the hazards of life on the road. Next, a few songs from the Rush heyday.

Next, 7 Cities/Wreckers/Headlong (things start to go shitty in your life), followed by a few 90's songs.

Then, BU2B2/Wish Them Well/The Garden (you finally realize that this is what you're stuck with, so might as well make the best of it), followed by some latter day Rush from VT and SA.

Granted, this would be a lousy way to end the concert, so they would have to come up with a great encore!

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Jun 7 2012, 07:56 PM)
My initial thought, after hearing the album a few times, was that they should play the whole thing straight through.....similar to what Porcupine Tree did with The Incident (I know that Neil respected that concert, based on some interview somewhere).

However, you make a good point about the vocals. This made me consider another option:

Clockwork Angels seems to be a retrospective on life in general. It follows the protagonist through all the generic phases of life that you read about in philisophical-type things (i.e., bright eyed optimist goes on a journey and learns that life can be crap, then realizes what is really important in life). So, it might make sense to do the concert in different phases that follow the general timeline of the CA suite. To whit:

Play the first few CA songs about yearning to leave one's upbringing and starting the journey (Caravan/BU2B/CA....discovering the world), then follow with a couple of early Rush songs.

Segue into the Anarchist/Carnies/Halo Effect....things initially seem great, but one soon learns the hazards of life on the road. Next, a few songs from the Rush heyday.

Next, 7 Cities/Wreckers/Headlong (things start to go shitty in your life), followed by a few 90's songs.

Then, BU2B2/Wish Them Well/The Garden (you finally realize that this is what you're stuck with, so might as well make the best of it), followed by some latter day Rush from VT and SA.

Granted, this would be a lousy way to end the concert, so they would have to come up with a great encore!

I wouldn't mind Far Cry being a closing song. IMO, it's an awesome song for that kind of stuff.

Playing CA complete would be tough on Geddy's voice, yes. I would love to hear as much of it live as possible though.

Isn't it great that the last tour featured the complete MP, a 30 year old album......and on this tour we're talking about the possibility of playing their latest album in its entirety because it is THAT good!!

I thought of that as well, but they can always split the suite into two , End set 1 with 7 cities of Gold and start set 2 with Headlong Flight! Anyway the songs are very instrumentally written so Geddy wont be singing all the time.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (RASH 2112 @ Jun 7 2012, 08:38 PM)
........Isn't it great that the last tour featured the complete MP, a 30 year old album......and on this tour we're talking about the possibility of playing their latest album in its entirety because it is THAT good!!

Yes it is. Really great actually.

I hope they don't play the whole album. It's not that I don't like it; quite the opposite, but I prefer a little variety. All the songs from S&A that they played got a bit taxing. I'm liking the new album a lot, but I'd still prefer to hear a bit of this and bit of that. I'm still (foolishly) holding out for a mostly B-sides tour. I know it won't happen, but I can dream.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jun 8 2012, 08:15 AM)
I hope they don't play the whole album. It's not that I don't like it; quite the opposite, but I prefer a little variety. All the songs from S&A that they played got a bit taxing. I'm liking the new album a lot, but I'd still prefer to hear a bit of this and bit of that. I'm still (foolishly) holding out for a mostly B-sides tour. I know it won't happen, but I can dream.

I'm with you there.

I am a big fan of S&A, and even I thought they played a bit too much of it on that tour.

Again, I'm loving these new albums. It's just that I love variety and hope for the chance to see, like you mentioned, 'b-side' type tracks.

I guess that can happen when you love all their work. cool.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 8 2012, 06:52 AM)
QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jun 8 2012, 08:15 AM)
I hope they don't play the whole album.  It's not that I don't like it; quite the opposite, but I prefer a little variety.  All the songs from S&A that they played got a bit taxing.  I'm liking the new album a lot, but I'd still prefer to hear a bit of this and bit of that.  I'm still (foolishly) holding out for a mostly B-sides tour.  I know it won't happen, but I can dream.

I'm with you there.

I am a big fan of S&A, and even I thought they played a bit too much of it on that tour.

Again, I'm loving these new albums. It's just that I love variety and hope for the chance to see, like you mentioned, 'b-side' type tracks.

I guess that can happen when you love all their work. cool.gif

But they won't do 'b-side' type tracks. They play the same set every single tour. A handful of songs from whatever album is out, all the A-list songs (Tom Sawyer, Limelight, TSoR, etc.) and then 2-3 things they either haven't done before (Presto) or haven't done in a while (Distant Early Warning or something like that). People that are holding out hope for them playing an hour of stuff like Countdown, Afterimage, Different Strings, or Grand Designs are destined to be let down.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 8 2012, 08:16 AM)
They play the same set every single tour.

Bull shit.

Ignoring the 9 S&A songs, 9 of the other 18 songs played on the S&A tour were not played on the previous tour (R30).

Ignoring the 2 new songs (Caravan and BU2B), 12 of the 23 songs played on the Time Machine tour were not played on the previous tour (S&A tour).

Yes, they have classics that will always be played (Tom Sawyer, YYZ, TSOR, etc.), but they have done a tremendous job of mixing it up in the last decade with playing stuff they hadn't played in a while and throwing diehards a lot of bones in regards to deep cuts.

So, take that nonsense somewhere else.

You know, I really don't understand the thought patterns of some fans sometimes. Its a concept album. Not playing the entire work live on tour is like:

Pink Floyd not performing The Wall Live!

Queensryche not performing Operation Mindcrime Live!

Fates Warning not performing A Pleasant Shade of Grey Live!

Dream Theater not performing Scenes from a Memory Live!

Is that really what we want? For Rush to retire and never have a representation of one of their finest works Live in its Entirety?

Really? Clockwork Angels is Epic! Wake up and smell the Angels that have fallen out of Heaven and landed on your face!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 8 2012, 01:53 PM)
Is that really what we want? For Rush to retire and never have a representation of one of their finest works Live in its Entirety?

Yep...that's exactly what I want.

Listen, CA is fantastic! I'm loving the album, but simply put...there are way too many other songs I'd rather hear than BU2B2, Halo Effect, and Wish Them Well.

Sorry...that's just the fact of it all.

Just because it's a concept album, does not mean that every single song has to be played to make it good.

Songs like Headlong Flight and The Anarchist are going to blow the roof off the place live. They are easily standalone tracks. Geddy said himself that they wanted to create songs that form a concept, but can easily be separated to stand alone. They did that.

Hence why I don't see the necessity to play them all. Give me 7-8 CA tracks, and that's definitely great. 1022.gif

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 8 2012, 10:27 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 8 2012, 08:16 AM)
They play the same set every single tour.

Bull shit.

Ignoring the 9 S&A songs, 9 of the other 18 songs played on the S&A tour were not played on the previous tour (R30).

Ignoring the 2 new songs (Caravan and BU2B), 12 of the 23 songs played on the Time Machine tour were not played on the previous tour (S&A tour).

Yes, they have classics that will always be played (Tom Sawyer, YYZ, TSOR, etc.), but they have done a tremendous job of mixing it up in the last decade with playing stuff they hadn't played in a while and throwing diehards a lot of bones in regards to deep cuts.

So, take that nonsense somewhere else.

Actually, I'm right in my breakdown. You only have to look at the set lists to see it. So, no... I will not take my bullshit nonsense elsewhere eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 8 2012, 01:34 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 8 2012, 01:53 PM)

Yep...that's exactly what I want.

Listen, CA is fantastic! I'm loving the album, but simply put...there are way too many other songs I'd rather hear than BU2B2, Halo Effect, and Wish Them Well.

Sorry...that's just the fact of it all.

Just because it's a concept album, does not mean that every single song has to be played to make it good.

Songs like Headlong Flight and The Anarchist are going to blow the roof off the place live. They are easily standalone tracks. Geddy said himself that they wanted to create songs that form a concept, but can easily be separated to stand alone. They did that.

Hence why I don't see the necessity to play them all. Give me 7-8 CA tracks, and that's definitely great. 1022.gif

Personally I think they are all good tracks, Actually I think Halo Effect is a great track along the lines of Closer to the Heart or Entre Nous. Anyway I really don't want to look back and say, you know they never played CA in its entirety. If you could live with that then more power to you! I really don't want to wait for some other tour to hear it in its entirety. R40 is coming 2 years, here is where they can play all the other tunes we haven't heard in ages but this is the CA tour and ithey should really embrace the entire concept. But that is just my opinion. As for the songs standing alone, I'm sure Geddy desired that for future tours, so they don't have to do what Roger Waters has to do with the wall. They can stick any of these songs (with the exception of BU2B2) into any set list and it will be fine!

cool10.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Jun 7 2012, 07:56 PM)

Then, BU2B2/Wish Them Well/The Garden...

Exactly. That's what I meant by my original post...I can imagine the possibility of them playing 2 -3 CA songs, then a few older tunes, then the next 2 -3 CA songs, then a few MORE older tunes, ect, ect...

I would actually be fine with that yes.gif