Clockwork Angels

Nate1647

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This track gets better daily.

One thing (among many) I love about this song -

The bridge is so bluesy-sounding, almost laid-back in a way. And the transition into that, and back out, is so smoooooth. Seamless. Genius.

Great track! Currently tied with The Anarchist for my favorite. 1022.gif

The clean guitar chords in the verse and the "Goddesses of mystery" line were my first goosebump moments when finally listening to the full album. wub.gif

I also love the "fake ending" when they explode back in after that last "as if to fly." 1022.gif

2.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 12 2012, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (That One Guy @ Jun 12 2012, 06:54 PM)
Imo, I think the song harks back to the Hemispheres/Farewell to Kings days...

i don't hear that at all. unsure.gif

It's those open barre chords ringing out... I sure do hear it.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 14 2012, 09:40 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 12 2012, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (That One Guy @ Jun 12 2012, 06:54 PM)
Imo, I think the song harks back to the Hemispheres/Farewell to Kings days...

i don't hear that at all. unsure.gif

It's those open barre chords ringing out... I sure do hear it.

Yup, and the hyperactive 12/8 feel, a la 2112 or Cygnus X-1. (Also Double Agent and Way the Wind Blows.)

And the scifi lyrics are extremely Hemispheres. wub.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 14 2012, 10:49 PM)
at the moment i give it an 8 out of 10. headlong flight is a 10 in my book.

Better watch the beer consumption at your next Rush show, or hope they play a few cuts off Snakes & Arrows. You're running low on pee break material!

When reading all the pre-release postings...saying how it had so many different parts, and it was different from part to part..and it was like several disperate jams patched together..and that it was totally prog....and etc etc...

i was looking for this complex, time changing, dynamic shifting prog song..

but actually its pretty straight forward...its just a simple A B C A B C mid B C structure..and its in a solid 6/4 swing...pretty clean as far as proggyness...not too complex...

However, its still an amazing song, for many reasons to my ears:

*beautiful verse, good lord how nice is that clean gtr feeling harking us back to late 80's without sounding dated...and the bass line is magic...great melody...

*SUPER DUPER Pre chorus..starting with the stick countoff...just a power moment for the whole album...when you finally get the groove...the vocal just sits in the pocket around those "double agent" chords...LOVE this part...

*Sweeping Swooping Swirling Drums...tribally driving the heartbeat of the song...this really is the key to the feel..maybe its whey many say it is complex...but its Neil just pounding a new world feel to the song...

*great lead!

i love the song, i find it to be my favorite for now as well...just due to the power and feel of the prechorus...bravo my trio of rock!!

ps...

i do feel we all may have had a similar reaction to FREEZE when VT came out..that song too has the 7/4 proggy feel and glistening gtrs parts and heavy driving thunderous prog that harkened to the seventies as well...