Clockwork Angels

Nate1647

Has now become my favorite rush song. They really hit it out of the park on this one. Funny thing is, on my first listen, this was probably at the 9 or 10 spot for me. I can't stop listening to it now, the chorus is just absolutely haunting. Leave it to Rush to totally capture the feel of an entire album and concept in 7 minutes. Alex's solo just soars above the rhythm section, with one of the most classic solo tones I've heard from him in a long time. Then the wtf moment as the blues kicks in (I can't wait til we get the lyrics to the telephone voice in that part). The little false ending at the end is there to make sure you're still listening (I jumped when it came back in on first listen). Discuss this glorious work of art!

EDIT: Totally forgot the double bass drum in the final chorus, when's the last time we got an all out attack like that from Neil?!?!

Edited by Nate1647

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The beginning verse, those notes that alex strums with the slight flange or whatever effect it is. Holy f**k Love those. If their next album contains more of these, It will be great.

Lol, already talking of the next album. XD

But yes, this song is f***ing great. I just keep repeating that beginning part.

After reading all the comments about this song I caved and listened to it (hopefully I can hold out for the rest of the tunes lol)

The chorus gave me chills the first time I heard it, that is the "Geddy chorus" type of sounds that really works well and enhances the song.

It definitely has a lot of changes that happen pretty fast but it has a great vibe throughout the whole song. I love the spacey "airy" parts in the song before it kicks in with that Double Agent groove and I especially love the bluesy section that came out of nowhere. Plus Alex slays it with that solo!

I am forcing myself not to listen to it again until the album comes out but I am already in love with this song

Edited by Analog_Bro

If you look at the Rush albums with a title track, they have generally ALL been great.

Fly By Night, 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Natural Science (might as well call it the title track of PeW), Mission (same as PeW's example), Presto, and Vapor Trail. All have generally been great. (Test 4 Echo was bad for me, so I didn't include it.)

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 5 2012, 01:36 AM)
If you look at the Rush albums with a title track, they have generally ALL been great.
Fly By Night, 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Natural Science (might as well call it the title track of PeW), Mission (same as PeW's example), Presto, and Vapor Trail. All have generally been great. (Test 4 Echo was bad for me, so I didn't include it.)

What about Roll The Bones? I like it quite a bit but I know it gets a lot of hate around here. wink.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 5 2012, 01:40 AM)

What about Roll The Bones? I like it quite a bit but I know it gets a lot of hate around here. wink.gif

Oh yeah, I forgot RTB. It's alright. I do like the funkyness. But that Rap section is what ruins it for me. Funk and rap do not match. laugh.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 4 2012, 11:41 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 5 2012, 01:40 AM)

Oh yeah, I forgot RTB. It's alright. I do like the funkyness. But that Rap section is what ruins it for me. Funk and rap do not match. laugh.gif

O contraire, good sir! cool.gif

Edited by CrossedSignals

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jun 5 2012, 02:05 AM)
I might have to say, as of right now anyway, the title track is my pick for best track on the album. I'm in love with the "high above the city square" parts.

You and me both. The bass and guitar in that section just work together to create a magical vibe. Just wish the section was a little longer. laugh.gif

Yes, as this time, it is my favorite song off CA. Not fav Rush tune though. That will take time if it happens. I just can't allow myself to go all in so early on.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 5 2012, 04:21 AM)
Yes, as this time, it is my favorite song off CA. Not fav Rush tune though. That will take time if it happens. I just can't allow myself to go all in so early on.

Even though I think it's probably the best song on CA, there's no WAY I could call it their best song ever. I mean, we do live in a world where there are songs like Xanadu and La Villa Strangiato and Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions and The Spirit of Radio and YYZ and, well, at least 20 or 25 Rush songs that this song would have to climb over to reach the top spot. As much as I am loving the song, I just don't see that happening. As much as a masterpiece as the song MAY be (too early for me to tell), I still doubt I'll think it's better even than Armor and Sword, which truly is a modern-day masterpiece IMHO...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 5 2012, 08:05 AM)

Even though I think it's probably the best song on CA, there's no WAY I could call it their best song ever. I mean, we do live in a world where there are songs like Xanadu and La Villa Strangiato and Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions and The Spirit of Radio and YYZ and, well, at least 20 or 25 Rush songs that this song would have to climb over to reach the top spot. As much as I am loving the song, I just don't see that happening. As much as a masterpiece as the song MAY be (too early for me to tell), I still doubt I'll think it's better even than Armor and Sword, which truly is a modern-day masterpiece IMHO...

As yes...perspective. Thank for this Goobs. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 5 2012, 05:21 AM)

I'm more than a little wary of comments like best song ever or best album ever or best album since MP, etc. - when it's literally one or two days after hearing a new album. True perspective takes months, usually years.

That said, it's already apparent to me that this is a great Rush song.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 5 2012, 08:34 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 5 2012, 05:21 AM)

I'm more than a little wary of comments like best song ever or best album ever or best album since MP, etc. - when it's literally one or two days after hearing a new album. True perspective takes months, usually years.

That said, it's already apparent to me that this is a great Rush song.

After listening to it maybe 10 times already, it just keeps getting better. It is one of those Rush songs that has so much, you can't grab it all after even 3 listens. My current way of listening is exclusively with the rhythm/beat. I love that 3/4 feel, something Rush hasn't really done enough of in some time. After I fully understand the beat, I want to move on to listening to just Alex.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 11:30 PM)
I think I've listened to the entire album 5 times now.

Lots of great tracks, but I agree, the title track is the very best one. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif notworthy.gif

I absolutely love this track. Perhaps we wont see the backlash you predicted Goobs?

It's really a crazy good tune.

I like the really intense parts that get haulted by the by the really solemn three or four notes from Alex and the "High above the city square"

Idk if thats the verse or what.. there are like 17 verses biggrin.gif

Edited by FountainOfSyrinx

Digital Man + Double Agent + Far Cry + Grand Finale = Clockwork Angels

This track is absolutely amazing, my favorite on the album so far and I can't wait to see it live! (I can't imagine they won't play it).