a fave book adapted to film

Instead of books already adapted to film, this is a thread about books that you've enjoyed reading and often wondered how it would be if adapted to film?

There was a book I read a long time ago that came out in 1982 in a series called "Twilight". The series was a set of horror novels that were targeted towards a teen audience.

The "Twilight" I'm speaking of is in no way related to Twilight vampire films.

Anyway, I read several of the books and my favorite was called "Demon Tree" and was written by Colin Daniels. I think after all these years, I can see similarities of this book in other horror books and films.

The plot involved a teenage girl named Maggie who was sent to live with her grandparents after her parents died in a car accident. Maggie grew up in a fair sized city called Springfield. She had to move to a very small New England town where her grandparents lived called Wells. Her grandparents are very stern and the townsfolk are very secretive and aloof. When the fall comes, an eerie fog creeps into town and people become beligerant to each other. Turns out there is a curse on the town and there is a tree that is located at the bottom of a hill that holds the reason for the town being under the curse.

Anyway, Maggie can't figure out if she's going crazy or was there something evil happening in town? She has to find out why.

Books I've enjoyed reading that haven't been made into films - for the past 25 years I've wanted decent movies made out of the Dragonlance saga biggrin.gif

We got a crappy animated version a year or two ago, but I want something on the level of Lord of the Rings, baby!

Chronicle of a Death Foretold or 100 Years of Solitude by Gracia Marquez would interest me...although Love in the Time of Cholera was butchered.

James Joyce's "Dubliners" would make a cool HBO miniseries.