Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 8 2012, 11:51 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 8 2012, 08:07 PM)
The amount of praise this record is getting is amazing.  Yes, it's new and we've been waiting a long time, so that could be a part of it, but the praise for this album seems to be of a higher intensity than when SA came out.

Nope. I went back and checked the threads. Identical threads, using Identical words. No difference.

Sorry

As someone who wasn't around here when S&A hit.... I find that hilarious.

Time will tell....

When Snakes and Arrows came out, I listened to it through a couple of times. Far Cry - not bad. Working Them Angels - pretty good. Main Monkey Business - cool. Good News First - ehh. Bravest Face - hmmmm. We Hold On - are my ears deceiving me, or did I hear this song randomly skip a semiquaver???

When Clockwork Angels came out: Clockwork Angels - holy sheet this is good. The Anarchist - O - M - G. Carnies - damn. Seven Cities of Gold - wow. The Garden - OK, this is a ridiculously good album.

Totally different impressions for me. In fact, Clockwork Angels is so good that I now think less of every other Rush album since Power Windows, because I hold them to a higher standard. confused13.gif

(Not that I have anything against S&A and its fans, mind you.)

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 4 2012, 10:10 AM)
IMHO - the three best songs were the three we've already heard.

The middle of the album is interesting, but not really as engaging to me as Caravan, BU2B, and Headlong.

Those three songs have so many cool and memorable parts. They all stand on their own as new RUSH. They hooked me right off and then continued to grow on me.

As for the rest, maybe it will grow on me-- there are definitely catchy moments, guitar riffs etc. but nothing stands out like the initial 3 songs.

I hope they keep the set list to 6 CA songs. Caravan, BU2B, Headlong and 3 others.

I am still very excited about the book and hope that they produce some interesting videos to go along with the new material. Watching something visual, telling the story of the music would be cool. I like the story, and the cinematic quality of the songs.

Also, I'm just going to come out and say it, too often it seems like the cool new riffs go no where and just blend down into the 'wall of noise'. But that's what RUSH wants, so I respect them for doing it their way and not catering to my, perhaps, more commercial taste.

That's my initial reaction -- I love Caravan, BU2B, and Headlong. The rest feels like side one of Hemispheres something I'll get into listening to iover time. But I'm not keen about hearing it live.

Agreed

Listening to Clockwork Angels right now! My first impression is the production sounds amazing! The songs are complex but really seem to have a nice flow... Some real heavy guitar riffs and awesome bass playing! Neil is playing like a 25 year old mad genius! I hear a little more Keith Moon in his drumming than usual! Headlong Flight is still my favorite.

This album sounds like a cross between 2112, Counterparts, Vapor Trails and S&A to me. I need more time and a few more listens to form a real opinion about this album...

Just heard the new album. What an absolutely great song the Wreckers is with an extremely catchy chorus. I found myself listening to Seven Cities of Gold and Wish Them Well alot too but I'm very impressed by the whole album. When you add it to the 3 previously released songs its easily a home run.

And please stop putting down previous albums just because we're all excited by how good this album is! They are all still great!!!

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 9 2012, 09:22 AM)
Neil is playing like a 25 year old mad genius! I hear a little more Keith Moon in his drumming than usual!

This album sounds like a cross between 2112, Counterparts, Vapor Trails and S&A to me. I need more time and a few more listens to form a real opinion about this album...

Yes! IMO Neil owns this album, his playing is so off the charts it really makes the drumming on most recent albums seem dull & uninspired in comparison. This is The Professor in full flight. And Neil said his playing on CA is what he imagined an old Keith Moon might sound like.

I think CA sounds more like (if we're mixing up Rush albums) someone took 2112, 'Spheres, MP & CP and tossed them in a blender, added 30 years and got a monster Rush album.

QUOTE (jebren72 @ Jun 9 2012, 09:39 AM)
And please stop putting down previous albums just because we're all excited by how good this album is! They are all still great!!!

Not sure if anyone is "putting down" previous albums but the bombastic, kick-ass rosy glow of CA is just making said previous efforts pale a bit in comparison.

But I do put down such albums as RTB & Presto because they are not great. Maybe passable with flashes of Rush but definitely not great albums. CA punches them in the throat, tramples them underfoot and pours salt on their desolate barren land...leaving them as they were: sterile and uninspired.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 9 2012, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 9 2012, 09:22 AM)
Neil is playing like a 25 year old mad genius! I hear a little more Keith Moon in his drumming than usual!

Yes! IMO Neil owns this album, his playing is so off the charts it really makes the drumming on most recent albums seem dull & uninspired in comparison. This is The Professor in full flight. And Neil said his playing on CA is what he imagined an old Keith Moon might sound like.

I think CA sounds more like (if we're mixing up Rush albums) someone took 2112, 'Spheres, MP & CP and tossed them in a blender, added 30 years and got a monster Rush album.

The drumming is really quite amazing this time out. It's so fluid. Really amazing what changing up your routine can do for you. Way to go Neil!

A new Rush release. It's like christmas morning. It has been 5 years since we have been able to sink our teeth into some new material. The band basically teased us two years ago in releasing Caravan and BU2B in time for their epic Time Machine tour. THose two songs were immediate rockers, filled with great riffs, cool lyrics and a taste of what was to come in Rush's first true start to finish concept record.

I had no idea what to expect to be honest. What was this story of steam punk and alchemy going to be about?

Headlong Flight is then released and things start to come into focus. A daring journey, piracy, adventures in the air and on the high seas. A life filled with adventure, peril and as we find out with the rest of the album romance and reflection.

Opening my fan pack was truly special. A great package that included a fact filled magazine dedicated to the release, back stories on the making of the record, and a neat look back at every Rush album with commentary from current musicians, friends, authors and former producers.

Then of course the CD itself in a wonderful, classy album like jacket complete with visual treats and the narration of this journey of a boy turning into adventurer, into a wise old man.

Sitting and reading the forewords before each song took me back to age 14 when I first experienced 2112. Opening that gatefold jacket and reading the story of the priests etc. I had a huge smile on my face as I read through Clockwork Angels before each song.

Neil is letting his imagination run wild again. After going through the tragedy he went through (which you never truly get over) it is so wonderful and refreshing seeing an artist at work again, writing about living, and having grand adventures. I have missed this so much in Rush's music for a long time.

So on to the album.

Caravan - "I can't stop thinking big" - The newly mixed version has some surprises. A more up front keyboard flourish, some phased guitars and bass. I like it. I prefer Neil's drums in the "single mix" however. But again a great Rush song to kick off this journey to Crown City.

BU2B - " The Price of what we're wining is the same as what we've lost" - I love the new intro. It totally changes up the feel of how the song kicks in and gives it some drama. We find out all about the Watchmaker, and how people in this futuristic world of streamliners, flint and steel are programed what to believe and how to live. I love this song, always have since it was released. A straight ahead rocker with a great turn at the bridge.

Clockwork Angels - "Goddesses of Light, of sea and sky and land" - I was blown away on the first listen and it has only become better and better with each listen. Rush has written an epic song again. The song has a beautiful intro of grandiose quality. A wall of Alex with Geddy holding down the bottom end and then....glass hitting water for the verse. Gorgeous. Lot's of changes, twists and turns that all come together after repeated listens. The song is daring. The bridge after the fantastic Alex solo is really something. I visualize walking through Chronos Square hearing loudspeakers blaring propaganda "Everything will turn out for the best" A brilliant passage in the song that give the sense of living in a controlled world. A Blade Runner moment if you will.

The Anarchist - "A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage" - Here we go....another Rush rocker and our introduction to the boy becoming a man and going off on his adventures in this twisted world Neil has written for us to explore. The chorus of this song is fantastic. Alex growls everywhere on this song. We find the protagonist wandering the streets of Chronos Square observing the masses conforming and he refusing to believe that this is the way to live.

Carnies - "The Glint of Iron Wheels" "The Smell of flint and steel" - Our hero joins the circus, falls in love, and is called out as a outsider not conforming to this order. THe song is a full on rocker with again Rush taking us in a totally different direction after the first verse. He latches on to this group of carnies to get away and begin his journey but is driven out. I love this song.

Halo Effect - "A Goddess with wings on her heals" - Crushed, his heart stomped on by what he tries to envision as his soul mate. A nice breather from the onslaught we have heard up to this point. Halo effect is placed perfectly in the flow of this album. I like it. A very easy song to get into. Accessible and clean. Short and to the point. Wonderful guitar work.

Seven Cities of Gold - " A Man can lose his past in a country like this" - This is another bombastic riff driven Rush epic. I feel this is one of the highlights of the album. A visual feast of our hero's journey into a snow filled desert. The jamming in this song harkens back to the 70's style of Rush big time. One of the albums most organic songs. A true power trio rocker and Alex again shines on his solo section, half stepping into space as well. The main riff here is destined to become a classic Rush jam.

The Wreckers - All I know is that sometimes you have to wary" - The Wreckers brings us what may be one of Rushes finest songs ever. That's right. I can't tell you how much I love this song. Not only is the chorus one of the most melodic ones the band has ever written, the verse music is just delicious! Tell me you can't smell the salty air and feel the wind blowing through the sails as this ship our hero boarded at the port of Poseidon plunges into certain death. A unique gem among many diamonds. This is a song for the ages.

Headlong Flight - "Oh I wish I can live it all again!" - I already really liked this tune, but as I expected once I heard it in the context of the complete concept.....I now love this song. A Rush tour de force in every way. Riffage everywhere, a rousing chorus, a amazing bridge and solo section takes the song into the stratosphere! The entire journey we have been through all comes to a head sort of speak. It feels the like a finale but only for the adventure....the growth and wisdom of our hero will be later reveled.

BU2B2 - A little passage, connecting us to the last part of the album. His optimism fading, he keeps moving forward, living and learning to.......

Wish Them Well - "Just keep on going let the demons dwell" - This was a song that took me 4 listens to really get into....but now I appreciate it for the rocker it is. It reminds me of Carve Way The Stone a lot. I love it's premise and that is what got me to "get it" over repeated listens. It is a lesson I also apply to my own life. Any relationship that becomes toxic...I just wish them well and walk away.

The Garden - "The Measure of a life is a measure of love and respect" - The Garden is such a wonderful piece. Rush always manages to put a tune on every album that just shocks you. A song that you would never expect from them. The Garden is that song. Just brilliant, heartfelt, and real. This may be one of Neil's finest compositions. It is a song of hope, love and understanding what life really is about. Tend to your garden.

I am floored by Clockwork Angels. Really. Much more profound than Snakes and Arrows which IMO is a strong album as well. But this new record we see Rush taking chances again. Throwing out the standard song writing structure and going for it again. Jams are all over this album, visual beauty, thought provoking fantasy.

Rush has me geeked up all over again. Something that has not happened since Grace Under Pressure. Power Windows and Hold Your Fire were amazing albums but dealt with real world issues, and adult topics and so it would stay that course for the next decade or so. Gone were songs about androids and fear. Gone were tunes about racing a car on the weekend, or marching with the mob to hang witches, or seeing the sun rays break through the clouds as the thunder head roared in the distance.

Rush had moved forward. And I moved with them as well. I have enjoyed that ride oh so much the past 25 plus years.

But here we find the band reaching back. Finding that reckless abandon in the song writing, the lyrics, the playing and letting your imagination run wild with them as they take you on a true journey through a world of mystery, piracy, and adventure.

Thank you again for making me feel 14 years old again if only for a fleeting moment in time.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 9 2012, 12:12 PM)
A new Rush release. It's like christmas morning. It has been 5 years since we have been able to sink our teeth into some new material. The band basically teased us two years ago in releasing Caravan and BU2B in time for their epic Time Machine tour. THose two songs were immediate rockers, filled with great riffs, cool lyrics and a taste of what was to come in Rush's first true start to finish concept record.

I had no idea what to expect to be honest. What was this story of steam punk and alchemy going to be about?

Headlong Flight is then released and things start to come into focus. A daring journey, piracy, adventures in the air and on the high seas. A life filled with adventure, peril and as we find out with the rest of the album romance and reflection.

Opening my fan pack was truly special. A great package that included a fact filled magazine dedicated to the release, back stories on the making of the record, and a neat look back at every Rush album with commentary from current musicians, friends, authors and former producers.

Then of course the CD itself in a wonderful, classy album like jacket complete with visual treats and the narration of this journey of a boy turning into adventurer, into a wise old man.

Sitting and reading the forewords before each song took me back to age 14 when I first experienced 2112. Opening that gatefold jacket and reading the story of the priests etc. I had a huge smile on my face as I read through Clockwork Angels before each song.

Neil is letting his imagination run wild again. After going through the tragedy he went through (which you never truly get over) it is so wonderful and refreshing seeing an artist at work again, writing about living, and having grand adventures. I have missed this so much in Rush's music for a long time.

So on to the album.

Caravan - "I can't stop thinking big" - The newly mixed version has some surprises. A more up front keyboard flourish, some phased guitars and bass. I like it. I prefer Neil's drums in the "single mix" however. But again a great Rush song to kick off this journey to Crown City.

BU2B - " The Price of what we're wining is the same as what we've lost" - I love the new intro. It totally changes up the feel of how the song kicks in and gives it some drama. We find out all about the Watchmaker, and how people in this futuristic world of streamliners, flint and steel are programed what to believe and how to live. I love this song, always have since it was released. A straight ahead rocker with a great turn at the bridge.

Clockwork Angels - "Goddesses of Light, of sea and sky and land" - I was blown away on the first listen and it has only become better and better with each listen. Rush has written an epic song again. The song has a beautiful intro of grandiose quality. A wall of Alex with Geddy holding down the bottom end and then....glass hitting water for the verse. Gorgeous. Lot's of changes, twists and turns that all come together after repeated listens. The song is daring. The bridge after the fantastic Alex solo is really something. I visualize walking through Chronos Square hearing loudspeakers blaring propaganda "Everything will turn out for the best" A brilliant passage in the song that give the sense of living in a controlled world. A Blade Runner moment if you will.

The Anarchist - "A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage" - Here we go....another Rush rocker and our introduction to the boy becoming a man and going off on his adventures in this twisted world Neil has written for us to explore. The chorus of this song is fantastic. Alex growls everywhere on this song. We find the protagonist wandering the streets of Chronos Square observing the masses conforming and he refusing to believe that this is the way to live.

Carnies - "The Glint of Iron Wheels" "The Smell of flint and steel" - Our hero joins the circus, falls in love, and is called out as a outsider not conforming to this order. THe song is a full on rocker with again Rush taking us in a totally different direction after the first verse. He latches on to this group of carnies to get away and begin his journey but is driven out. I love this song.

Halo Effect - "A Goddess with wings on her heals" - Crushed, his heart stomped on by what he tries to envision as his soul mate. A nice breather from the onslaught we have heard up to this point. Halo effect is placed perfectly in the flow of this album. I like it. A very easy song to get into. Accessible and clean. Short and to the point. Wonderful guitar work.

Seven Cities of Gold - " A Man can lose his past in a country like this" - This is another bombastic riff driven Rush epic. I feel this is one of the highlights of the album. A visual feast of our hero's journey into a snow filled desert. The jamming in this song harkens back to the 70's style of Rush big time. One of the albums most organic songs. A true power trio rocker and Alex again shines on his solo section, half stepping into space as well. The main riff here is destined to become a classic Rush jam.

The Wreckers - All I know is that sometimes you have to wary" - The Wreckers brings us what may be one of Rushes finest songs ever. That's right. I can't tell you how much I love this song. Not only is the chorus one of the most melodic ones the band has ever written, the verse music is just delicious! Tell me you can't smell the salty air and feel the wind blowing through the sails as this ship our hero boarded at the port of Poseidon plunges into certain death. A unique gem among many diamonds. This is a song for the ages.

Headlong Flight - "Oh I wish I can live it all again!" - I already really liked this tune, but as I expected once I heard it in the context of the complete concept.....I now love this song. A Rush tour de force in every way. Riffage everywhere, a rousing chorus, a amazing bridge and solo section takes the song into the stratosphere! The entire journey we have been through all comes to a head sort of speak. It feels the like a finale but only for the adventure....the growth and wisdom of our hero will be later reveled.

BU2B2 - A little passage, connecting us to the last part of the album. His optimism fading, he keeps moving forward, living and learning to.......

Wish Them Well - "Just keep on going let the demons dwell" - This was a song that took me 4 listens to really get into....but now I appreciate it for the rocker it is. It reminds me of Carve Way The Stone a lot. I love it's premise and that is what got me to "get it" over repeated listens. It is a lesson I also apply to my own life. Any relationship that becomes toxic...I just wish them well and walk away.

The Garden - "The Measure of a life is a measure of love and respect" - The Garden is such a wonderful piece. Rush always manages to put a tune on every album that just shocks you. A song that you would never expect from them. The Garden is that song. Just brilliant, heartfelt, and real. This may be one of Neil's finest compositions. It is a song of hope, love and understanding what life really is about. Tend to your garden.

I am floored by Clockwork Angels. Really. Much more profound than Snakes and Arrows which IMO is a strong album as well. But this new record we see Rush taking chances again. Throwing out the standard song writing structure and going for it again. Jams are all over this album, visual beauty, thought provoking fantasy.

Rush has me geeked up all over again. Something that has not happened since Grace Under Pressure. Power Windows and Hold Your Fire were amazing albums but dealt with real world issues, and adult topics and so it would stay that course for the next decade or so. Gone were songs about androids and fear. Gone were tunes about racing a car on the weekend, or marching with the mob to hang witches, or seeing the sun rays break through the clouds as the thunder head roared in the distance.

Rush had moved forward. And I moved with them as well. I have enjoyed that ride oh so much the past 25 plus years.

But here we find the band reaching back. Finding that reckless abandon in the song writing, the lyrics, the playing and letting your imagination run wild with them as they take you on a true journey through a world of mystery, piracy, and adventure.

Thank you again for making me feel 14 years old again if only for a fleeting moment in time.

Your review is as awesome as the album!! Freakin love how you wrote it!! applaudit.gif trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

As I've mentioned, I really enjoy your (fair) thoughts on Rush. I often find myself nodding along with the things you write and your summation of CA was no exception, especially the part quoted above. Some seem to really like to tear down (perhaps because they honestly didn't enjoy it) S&A relative to their enjoyment of the new record, but like you, I was impressed with S&A and remain so. However the dynamics of the new album transcend merely writing an album's worth of pretty enjoyable tracks. This was a much more ambitious (both theoretically and in its actualization) project....and they pulled it off with a great sense of excitement that is palpable as you listen. You really feel like this album is a journey, so your comment on it being a much more profound experience is spot-on.

Ok... third full listen... I suddenly like it. The Garden got me, dammit. eh.gif It really takes the lyrics to make it work, doesn't it. The only moment I notably dislike is Seven Cities of Gold, I can't wait 'til that becomes my favorite song. eyesre4.gif Edited by Steel Rat

I am not putting down CA at all. I love it, as I also loved S&A when it came out. However, 5 years later, I only have a hankering to listen to Far Cry, Hope and sometimes Malnar. I just hope that CA is different, but no one here can know that until time passes.

I was serious, go back and look at the threads after S&A. There were the same pronouncements, joy, tears, grammy predictions, etc, as there is right now. I'm not saying everyone is wrong, I'm just putting out the objective truth.

With that being said, I'm going to go crank up The Anarchist, wish is currently beating the crap out of me like I was a red-headed step child out back in the woodshed!

wink.gif

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 9 2012, 10:12 AM)

So on to the album.

get out of my head!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 9 2012, 09:36 PM)
One thing I'm really like about this album -- and Alex had mentioned this already -- is that there aren't rhythm guitar tracks under the solos. Really opens up the songs and lets them breathe. It's noticeable.

True!

Scored an early copy at my local cd store and all I have to say is WOW! Possibly the best Rush album I've ever heard (and I've been listening to them as a hardcore fan since '76!). For those who are waiting until Tuesday to take it all in, you are in for a heck of a ride! The boys have outdone themselves again!

Ok, got the fan pack today. I admit I was streaming the album on YouTube where there was a link still up (was take down Friday after I had the browser open all week).

Listening to the album through one headphone (my crappy computer pair is broken), it sounded good. Just good. I kept reading everyone's reactions, and knowing my lukewarm feelings towards caravan and BU2B...man, was I skeptical.

Now I've heard it for REAL on my DVD player at home, alone, very loud, I am very pleased to say that Im coming around quickly. I don't think i have as strong of a reaction as I did to S&A, but I took that album in differently than CA.

That said, here are my sketchy notes:

- caravan and BU2B had some real nice improvements.

- title track is the Armor and Sword of the abum. Meaning, for me, its going to take a bit to grow on me but i will come to fully appreciate.

- Amarchist is my favorite so far of the whole album. The "lack their smiles and diamonds" lyrics out of Geddy are glorious. Yes, computerized and mixed, but this gal approves. Also, I am reminded of GUP on this song, which is awesome!

- Carnies: "how I prayed just to get away..." is the best part, and fabulous

- halo effect, really like this song. Simple lyrics but I personally relate, which may be why I am digging it

- 7 cities sounds very old school rush to me with a new spin.

-Wreckers. Ok, everyone is loving this song and it's very good to me, and I love the chorus, but it's not my favorite. This reminds me of when everyone went crazy for Earthshine on VT and i didn't, lol

- headlong flight: I liked this as a single but I don't know if its the place on the album or what, or the fact I know the song more than the others that makes it seem a bit off... It's the lower half of liked songs for me

- BU2B2: hey, I like this, it's haunting, different and the lyrics are married to the song well. Do the boys even play on it thought? Seems all strings with a Geddy solo!

- wish the well: I actually really like this song, probably because, again I can personally relate to the lyrics. Classic Neil.

- garden: is beautiful. Words lack me to describe this song

smile.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 9 2012, 05:23 PM)
Just an awful album. Another wasted effort/opportunity, imo. It would be too painful and arduous to dissect each song for critical review, so I'll stop here.

cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif