Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 7 2012, 12:24 PM)
Also, I recall hearing some people don't like Seven Cities...

How?

Awesome stuff here...I especially the pre-verse parts that Alex is playing. Such an awesome groove IMO. 1022.gif

if you like it forget about what others think cus i sure as hell don't. 1022.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 7 2012, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 7 2012, 12:24 PM)
Also, I recall hearing some people don't like Seven Cities...

How?

Awesome stuff here...I especially the pre-verse parts that Alex is playing. Such an awesome groove IMO.  1022.gif

if you like it forget about what others think cus i sure as hell don't. 1022.gif

There's a rawness to this song that reminds me of 70s classic rock.

The more I hear it, the more I love it. This is a fantastic 2.gif Album!! What I read from the poster above really brings it to light by comparing CA to 2112. The maturity of it all hits a resounding note for this 2.gif fan. When we are young we say screw it all to hell.....As we mature we begin to understand things in a new and different way and CA reflects a coneptual maturity that could only be offered from experience....INCREDIBLE work 2.gif!! Can't wait to read the novel.....

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Jun 7 2012, 08:29 AM)
As I said, this is "new Rush". And I define that to include everything from Presto through CA. And out of that batch, the only thing that could beat CA in my mind is Counterparts. Vapor Trails would be a close third, hampered only by its production.

Overall, it beats SnA by miles.

Interesting take. I like S&A better than anything they released after Signals. I think S&A blows CP and VT in particular away. I don't find myself returning to either, but I do give S&A periodic spins. We'll see where CA falls into place in a few weeks I guess.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 7 2012, 06:31 PM)
As I said, this is "new Rush". And I define that to include everything from Presto through CA. And out of that batch, the only thing that could beat CA in my mind is Counterparts. Vapor Trails would be a close third, hampered only by its production.

Interesting take. I like S&A better than anything they released after Signals. I think S&A blows CP and VT in particular away. I don't find myself returning to either, but I do give S&A periodic spins. We'll see where CA falls into place in a few weeks I guess.

unsure.gif

After repeated, repeated listens: Caravan thru Headlong Flight is just classic Rush to me. High level musicianship, great arrangements and an interesting story. Neil's playing is frantic and precise and powerful...he even goes all double bass near the end of Clockwork Angels. Great stuff.

BU2B2 thru The Garden are good but not great, just not tripping my trigger.

But man, I'm loving this new music. It's by far the best stuff they've put out in many years. My expectations have been met and then some, it's up there in the pantheon of MP, PeW, AFTK & 'Spheres for this ol' boy.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 7 2012, 05:31 PM)

somewhere on this planet someone is spinning the copy of s & a i once owned. than again it's very possible that it was thrown in the recycling bin by someone and was grinded down to where it will be used to make something else like a fax machine or something. tongue.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 7 2012, 03:49 PM)
After repeated, repeated listens: Caravan thru Headlong Flight is just classic Rush to me. High level musicianship, great arrangements and an interesting story. Neil's playing is frantic and precise and powerful...he even goes all double bass near the end of Clockwork Angels. Great stuff.

BU2B2 thru The Garden are good but not great, just not tripping my trigger.

But man, I'm loving this new music. It's by far the best stuff they've put out in many years. My expectations have been met and then some, it's up there in the pantheon of MP, PeW, AFTK & 'Spheres for this ol' boy.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 7 2012, 06:52 PM)

somewhere on this planet someone is spinning the copy of s & a i once owned. than again it's very possible that it was thrown in the recycling bin by someone and was grinded down to where it will be used to make something else like a fax machine or something. tongue.gif

There's ALOT of people around here that despise S&A. I'm going to give it a spin on the train ride home just to spite you. smile.gif

what? well then, you are not a true Rush fan! wacko.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 7 2012, 06:06 PM)

There's ALOT of people around here that despise S&A. I'm going to give it a spin on the train ride home just to spite you. smile.gif

make sure to crack a cold one on the train ride. trink38.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 7 2012, 06:06 PM)

what? well then, you are not a true Rush fan! wacko.gif wink.gif

got rid of it at a used cd place with a few others which in turn gave me money to buy a few beers. makes sense to me and the beers were cold. tongue.gif

QUOTE (furie @ Jun 7 2012, 05:47 PM)
My wife just picked up the cd from the record store in town. Going to listen to it when I get home.
Here's the proof,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54168442@N08/7349731294/

Can't direct link from Flickr anymore.

Anyone notice the typo on the sticker?

No, but I did notice that The Wreckers is noted as a 'feature'.... next single then?

QUOTE (Xanaseb @ Jun 7 2012, 07:18 PM)
QUOTE (furie @ Jun 7 2012, 05:47 PM)
My wife just picked up the cd from the record store in town. Going to listen to it when I get home.
Here's the proof,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54168442@N08/7349731294/

Can't direct link from Flickr anymore.

Anyone notice the typo on the sticker?

No, but I did notice that The Wreckers is noted as a 'feature'.... next single then?

Interesting...nice catch.

I'm sure it will be the next single...it's got the hook. 1022.gif

I've listened 7 or 8 times, and I'm currently at the point that I really like every song. I have even come to appreciate Caravan and BU2B much more than I did before (I was very lukewarm on these songs through the whole Time Machine tour).

Favorite song is Clockwork Angels (so much going on there). Least favorite is Wish Them Well, although I've come to appreciate it now that I've read the liner notes pre-story. This is new for me.....usually lyrics/meaning don't really have a big effect on whether or not I like a song.

I am also astounded at how well this album flows. I don't usually pay attention to this aspect of a recording, but it really jumps out at me here. A universally relatable life story and the songs totally fit each situation to my ears. Wonderful!

I would be thrilled to hear any of these songs in concert, and indeed I would like them to play the entire album! Come on September!!!

trink39.gif

(Edited for html fail)

Edited by Bastille Night

Heard it once on youtube. Heard parts of it on Grooveshark. Initial impressions from that:

Wow. Drums. Drums, drums, drums. Neil is going nuts on this. Kinda Keith Moonish. Very organic. Very active. Great stuff.

Geddy's bass must be hurting him, 'cause it's on fire.

Alex is brilliant, in a way that will leave him under-appreciated as usual. Except for the solo on The Garden, which hits you with its' greatness much like John Cleese whacking you in the face with a very large fish that's frozen solid.

The flow of this album is amazing. Everything is made better by what's before and after it.

The lyrical structure is some of Neil's best and most intricate work.

Wow. Just f*ckin' wow.

Just listened to the album for the first time.....

WOW

I have to admit, I was a bit pessimistic about this album impressing me. But, they certainly put out an great collection of songs on this album. I like it much better than S&A.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 7 2012, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 7 2012, 06:31 PM)

unsure.gif

Definitely blows away VT. Just ask metaldad.

tongue.gif

I didn't like The Wreckers that much at first but sometimes first impressions are dead wrong.... I think mine might be.

The Wreckers is currently stuck in my head right now, and I'm not annoyed. I think I'm starting to like this song....