Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 5 2012, 09:51 AM)
Wow how can anybody not like the title track?
Song is f***ing awesome!!

yes.gif

finally listened to it for the first time this morning and wow, it is pure goosebump inducing bliss, the likes of which I haven't heard from Rush in many years. wub.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jun 5 2012, 12:02 PM)
Wow... Just listened to it yes.gif

The Garden is such an amazing album closer ohmy.gif Love the Piano

yes.gif trink39.gif

Definately my favorite Rush album since Counterparts...

Edited by ALifeson85

Anyone else think Alex's solo on the title track sounds like something that could have been on Counterparts...kinda sounds a bit "Cut To The Chase"-ish, imo yes.gif

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Jun 5 2012, 11:20 AM)
Anyone else think Alex's solo on the title track sounds like something that could have been on Counterparts...kinda sounds a bit "Cut To The Chase"-ish, imo yes.gif

His soloing style is all over the place! The title track sounds like Counterparts, the solo on The Anarchist sounds like Roll the Bones, and the rest runs the gamut from T4E/VT minimalism to the old 80's vibe. I'm still very impressed, and I can't wait to get my hands on this album for real!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 09:45 AM)
VERY INITIAL UNCENSORED IMPRESSIONS WARNING:

Only listened to once so far, so this could all change.

Caravan - improved mix, still don't love the song, but sounds cool - edited in: i actually think this song could grow on me having heard the whole album, something i haven't felt in a long while with this song - i doubt i'll ever outright love it, but anything's possible...

BU2B - intro is interesting, mix is improved, the lyrics are still terrible and kill the song for me - i think i'll need to read all the lyrics to see if this somehow magically falls into the story in such a way that it will all make sense, but on it's own it still fails for me, and it has to work on its own.

Clockwork Angels - GREAT song. Awesome solo - love how it breaks down into the slower section. I seriously need to see the lyrics on this one. This song has enough changes that I'd actually dub it with the term prog, but definitely "prog metal." No commercial appeal at all on this song, but that's not a bad thing!

The Anarchist - the 2nd 30 second clip did NOT do this song justice! Very interesting track that goes in cool directions - yay, it's not verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo, etc.! One guitar riff at the beginning of the song reminds me of MP-era, but it's brief. I REALLY need the lyrics on this song to see how well the lyrics work, but what I could make out sounded cool.

Carnies - again, a lot better than the 2nd 30 second clip let on - cool sound effects and instrumentation. not my fave song, but pretty good - again, knowing the lyrics would REALLY help!

Halo Effect - love the acoustic opening - very reminiscent of the 70's, but with definitely a more modern sounding Geddy. some nice melodies going on in this song - late 80's/early 90's feel to them - has lots of potential. i like that the song is short - doesn't get too ambitious, doesn't outstay its welcome.

Seven Cities of Gold - MAJORLY cool funky opening! Reminds me vaguely of VT in the way some of the lines are sung, but the instrumentation thankfully is much more interesting. The 30 second clip made him saying "Seven Cities of Gold" sound repetitive and annoying, but thankfully that's not the case - the chorus is actually nicely melodic with great lyrics (what I can make out) and has a very anthemic feel, and some of the guitar riffage in this song is REALLY cool. I would have loved a slightly less atmospheric and more distinct guitar solo, but still it sounded pretty cool. Again, somewhat proggy - nice changes. this song is a lot better than i thought it would be.

BU2B2 - this probably fits really well in the context of the album lyrically (which I can't read yet), but on its own I really don't like the lyrics AT ALL, but it sounds cool. i predict this and BU2B will be by far my least fave tracks - i simply don't like them on their own, even though i understand they're part of a larger concept.

The Wreckers - reminds me of Presto era in places. ok, so why the F*CK wasn't this the first single??? it's simple, it's catchy, it's accessible, it's not overly long, it's melodic, it's got some nice orchestral production touches that aren't overdone - this song has the biggest hit potential by far. admittedly, this was a guaranteed hit in 1991 - whether it would have a shot today or not, i have no idea.

Headlong Flight - skipped this as I wanted to get to the other tracks I haven't heard, but this song has been growing on me a lot lately. it's definitely one of the more accessible songs on the album.

Wish Them Well - i like the simplicity of this song when contrasted with a lot of songs that try to do a lot more - has somewhat of a more old school feel - nice melodies - the lyrics that i can make out sound pretty damn cool. this MIGHT be one of the weaker songs, but if that's the case, the standard set is pretty high as this is still pretty damn cool.

The Garden - there's no song i wish more that i had the lyrics to - what I can discern is really cool. could this song be this album's armor and sword? possibly. i doubt any song on this album will have quite the impact THAT song did on me, but if anyone might, it's this one... once i can read all the lyrics - it's really quite a beautiful song with some spinechilling moments - especially the part before the solo, and the solo is a very nice one - pretty clear. this song is destined to become a latter-day Rush classic.

Preliminary Thoughts:

strings not as prominent as i though they would be (which is fine)

geddy's voice sounds a lot better than i thought it would (which is great)

i was really afraid most of the songs would be a slave to the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo/verse/chorus etc. format, but very few were, and the ones that did really don't bother me, in fact they're a welcome reprieve from the songs that go off in a lot more directions.

more than any other era, i get a presto/rtb feel to some of these songs, but thankfully done much better than most of those songs, and a good bit harder edged - often with a VT heaviness, but with songs that are a million times better all around.

the only songs i really strongly don't like are BU2B and BU2B2, but even still, they're not horrible or embarrassing or anything - i just don't care for the subject matter and it drags down the songs for me personally.

i wish there were a few more old school guitar solos (longer and clearer) on the album, but it's a minor complaint.

the album is a LOT better than i hoped - i was hoping to love 2 or 3 songs, and while it's way too early to tell how these songs will age to me, i think that might have been conservative - i'm VERY happy after the first listen! biggrin.gif

smile.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 5 2012, 01:01 PM)

yes.gif

finally listened to it for the first time this morning and wow, it is pure goosebump inducing bliss, the likes of which I haven't heard from Rush in many years. wub.gif

Glad to hear this!

I believe you and I usually have similar tastes when it comes to Rush!

Makes me feel even better about it! 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 5 2012, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 5 2012, 01:01 PM)

yes.gif

Glad to hear this!

I believe you and I usually have similar tastes when it comes to Rush!

Makes me feel even better about it! 1022.gif

1022.gif

I've listened to Clockwork Angels and The Anarchist so far and I absolutely love them, better than the first 3 tracks that were released. I am confident you will be very pleased.

I even think Trenken is gonna have to eat some crow laugh.gif

I'm floored by this album. As many have said, a band 38 years in, with all members pushing 60 years old, is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS!

Highlights for me so far (and I fully expect many more to surface over the coming days, weeks, months and years):

- Jazzy/acoustic break in Clockwork Angels, right after the guitar solo. Holy crap! Where did they pull this out of??

-The "Beneath, Between, and Behind"-sounding riff in the Anarchist. The guitar tone even evokes the live version of BBB on Exit Stage Left: Phaser/Flanger City! Hell, the track even ends in a lovely Flanger sweep. Wow.

-The middle eastern feel in the Anarchist (especially the solo!), and to a lesser extend in Carnies.

-The acoustic guitar and "space" in Halo. Lovely.

-The super catchy chorus of Seven Cities of Gold, smack in the middle of an extremely proggy/funky track!

-The Wreckers

-Wish them Well....can't get the chorus out of my head.

-The Garden - incredible album ender, piano, solo, overall goodness.

QUOTE (Earthshine_sf @ Jun 5 2012, 12:50 PM)
I'm floored by this album. As many have said, a band 38 years in, with all members pushing 60 years old, is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS!

Highlights for me so far (and I fully expect many more to surface over the coming days, weeks, months and years):
- Jazzy/acoustic break in Clockwork Angels, right after the guitar solo. Holy crap! Where did they pull this out of??
-The "Beneath, Between, and Behind"-sounding riff in the Anarchist. The guitar tone even evokes the live version of BBB on Exit Stage Left: Phaser/Flanger City! Hell, the track even ends in a lovely Flanger sweep. Wow.
-The middle eastern feel in the Anarchist (especially the solo!), and to a lesser extend in Carnies.
-The acoustic guitar and "space" in Halo. Lovely.
-The super catchy chorus of Seven Cities of Gold, smack in the middle of an extremely proggy/funky track!
-The Wreckers
-Wish them Well....can't get the chorus out of my head.
-The Garden - incredible album ender, piano, solo, overall goodness.

So are you saying The Wreckers left you speechless? rofl3.gif

WOW!!

Just listened to the whole thing and it flows so well. They took their time making it and it shows, so glad they did they didnt RUSH (sorry) to put it out. Doesnt seemed forced and The Garden (ranks right up there with the best album closers) brings it to a perfect ending.

After one listen, my favorite since GUP.

QUOTE (Khan @ Jun 5 2012, 01:01 PM)
Listening now...not very fond of the title track but The Anarchist is better.

My first few times through the title track was very low on my list, but I BEG BEG BEG you to keep going through it, it's risen to my all time favorite rush song!

Really digging this album. It's exceeding expectations, for sure, and I'd say I was moderately hyped for it.

Ranking time cool.gif

The Wreckers

Caravan

The Garden

Seven Cities of Gold

BU2B

Carnies

Headlong Flight

The Anarchist

Wish Them Well

Cockwork Angles

Halo Effect

BU2B2 (only because it's a minute interlude)

My hubby talked me into listening to it early. I was going to hold out until the official release but gave in blush4.gif I must say I was not dissappointed at all. It is all I had hoped it would be. The guys sounded like they were having a great time. They were loose and weird (in a good way). The strings that I think we were all leary about are not over done. I totally enjoyed it and can not wait to get home to listen again. The songs that stood out the most to me (aside from the 3 we already know) are The Garden, The Wreckers and Carnies. I am so happy for the guys and for us as fans. I am so excited to see these songs live, we get to see them Nov 1 in the ATL !!!! It is so awesome. ROCK ON !!!! cheer.gif 2.gif Edited by kena2112

My first day review:

Caravan: Great. This is a song that I grew to love over the years since it's release, and I'm glad that they didn't screw it up and change the excellently off-beat guitar solo or something. 9

B2UB: Instant classic. While not as good as Caravan, it's certainly way more accessible. I'm not digging the new vocal double-tracking at the end, but the new intro is great. 8

Clockwork Angels: Finally something new! I'm not fully sure what to think of this one yet. I heard other people call this a clusterf**k, and I sort of have to agree. While the parts themselves are really great for the most part, as a song, they seem kind of tacked together. That said, I felt the same way about Caravan at first so, we'll have to see. This song gives me a real Vapor Trails vibe, which is definitely a good thing. Also the slightly dissonant sounding blues bit with the megaphone voice is really cool, I wish that more would've been made of that. Finally, I feel that it's important to note that this song feels like it's very large scale, like Hemispheres, which is something we haven't heard in a while. 7 (with definite growth potential)

The Anarchist: Probably the "coolest" song on the album. This one has a great vibe to it. Very dark and Double Agent-esque. The Megaphone voice is featured here and it's great. The bass riff during the chorus is just so sleek and driving. Very cinematic. The vocal melodies here are kinda rough, but honestly, it's kind of become part of the charm of late period Rush. This one ended up stuck in my head today, and I'm totally fine with that. 8.5

Carnies: That Riff! That build-up! That chorus! What a solid rocker. The lyrics are really good too. Especially the "Angels punish us" line. This is one of the songs that I'm going to show to other people who may be interested in the new album. Just a good, classic, rocker that I can see being a part of the Rush setlist until the boys retire. 9

Halo Effect: A nice change of pace. A very catchy ballad that has classic potential. The lyrics are really good and they relate to what is going on in my life right now, so this came along at the right time for me to really understand it. Just about perfect for what it is. 8

Seven Cities of Gold: That intro tells me that the boys have been listening to Primus. The beginning just rocks in a very straight forward sort of bluesy way. Nothing incredibly mind-blowing here. 7

The Wreckers: Whoa. I wasn't expecting this. Such a sad song that reminds me of VT in all the right ways. The Chorus is one of the most beautiful things that Rush has written. Nearly brought me to tears. There are not enough good things for me to say about this. 9

Headlong Flight: The Single. Decent rocker. I never thought that this song was too special, but I like where it sits on the album. The jam section towards the middle-end of the song is really cool even if the guitar solo at it's center is kinda "meh". That's unfortunately something that I noticed about this album, Lerxst just isn't quite doing it as a soloist here. I mean his solo on Caravan is phenomenal, one of my favorites of his, but the rest of them are pretty "blink and you missed it" and unfortunately HF is no exception. Not to say that it's a bad song, but it's no masterpiece. 7.5

BU2B2: A transition. Cool violins accompany the main character's internal struggle about the crushing truths of life. This isn't a song, so I'm not going to give it a rating.

Wish Them Well: Dog Years 2? Not quite, but the song starts out looking that way. The hyper repetitive opening with the Charlie Watts drumming is a bad way to start a song. A pretty good guitar solo and jam section towards the middle take the song in a surprising direction. Not a terrible song, but easily the weakest here. 6

The Garden: So here we are, the finale of it all. A pretty song, with just absolutely gorgeous string layering. You know, it's a beautiful song, but I guess I was expecting something, I don't know, a bit more grand to close things up. Still a great song and a very good ending to the album. 8

It's a good album. Probably near the middle of the pack for me.

Edited by Dscrapre

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Jun 5 2012, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Jun 5 2012, 01:01 PM)
Listening now...not very fond of the title track but The Anarchist is better.

My first few times through the title track was very low on my list, but I BEG BEG BEG you to keep going through it, it's risen to my all time favorite rush song!

I will...it takes me 5-10 listens to fully appreciate most Rush material.

Loving The Garden though

I would personally rank this the best album since Grace Under Pressure. To me the band starting going down hill after that. After this album my ranking would jump back to Power Windows and then jump to Counterparts after that. I was never a fan of their stuff between those two albums.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 5 2012, 01:24 PM)
Interesting...seems like the title track is falling on both ends of the spectrum depending on who you ask.

I'm very curious to see how I react to it...

It's divisive, yes. It's an odd bird.

To answer a few questions.

-The CD is Digipack

-Posters are NOT one-sided

-I received the shipment notice (email) on June 1st

The fanpack is absolutely stunning and worth every penny!!!

Taster (notice Napoleon Peart):

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/CIMG3073.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/CIMG3071.jpg