Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

So assuming this is a straight CD rip, someone either trimmed the intro off of two songs, or zipped it up 2 tracks short.

Weird.

Neither anarchists or bu2b2 have any noticeable intro. I would assume those are the parts Neil recorded his voice for.

QUOTE (deslock @ Jun 4 2012, 09:23 PM)
My expectations had been building from the 2010 versions of Caravan and BU2B through the insane Headlong Flight and the very promising 30 second Walmart clips. Then we got the mediocre 30 second Italian clips. Suddenly I found myself apprehensive.

Now I have the whole thing, and I'm floored by how good it is.

Like with the previous album, they spared us of cheesy/awkward lyrics and choruses. This time out, we've also been treated to extended instrumental introductions and mid-sections in most songs. They've truly outdone themselves:
  • Caravan and BU2B sound better than the 2010 versions. Love the new BU2B intro.
  • Clockwork Angels has the best parts of Rush, Yes, Dream Theater, Jethro Tull, and Transatlantic rolled into one (at a "brief" 7:31 for an epic prog masterpiece).
  • The Anarchist simply rocks. Awesome basslines and riffs. Very catchy. Incredible guitar solo.
  • Carnies has some slightly abrasive vocals in the beginning, but once the song gets moving, it's quite enjoyable. Another cool groove from Geddy. Very energetic ending.
  • Rush's ballads are hit-and-miss, but Halo Effect is OK. Similar to, but better than, songs like Nobody's Hero and Half the World.
  • Seven Cities of Gold starts off well. His singing almost derails it and the main riff (played during the chorus) isn't all that interesting, but the proggy and classic rock elements keep things fun. The solo section is sweet.
  • The Wreckers is super melodic and catchy. Very straight forward, not much instrumentation, but it works. This has radio single written all over it.
  • Headlong Flight is a drum-fill-athon, jam-tastic masterpiece.
  • BU2B is a very interesting orchestra piece.
  • Wish Them Well is mostly a simple pop tune, and competes with Halo Effect for being the worst song on the album. And it's still actually decent. We get some slightly silly vocal arrangements, but nothing too objectionable... Great instrumental section.
  • The Garden might be the best of the slow folksy Rush songs. Though I don't especially care for The Larger Bowl and Presto, those songs have some nifty guitar bits, and this combines them with elements of the excellent Available Light and Bravado.
My first impression is that it's going to rank right up there with their best (for me, Power Windows and Moving Pictures). Even if we tossed 3-4 of the weaker songs, we'd be left with 50+ minutes of solid material.

Thank you Rush. Thank you Nick Raskulinecz.

P.S. For the record (pun!), I didn't use file-sharing as I don't want to help anyone obtain it who isn't going to pay for it (I'll be buying multiple copies as gifts).

goodpost.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 4 2012, 09:24 PM)
Fourth listen, and The Anarchist has grown on me. Some cool stuff happening there. biggrin.gif I also really like BU2B2. Even if its just "filler" or and interlude, its still a really cool. Love the strings on that track. Also Wish You Well is a very catchy but good pop rock song. If it sounds like King's X like people here have stated, then I need to start listening to King's X.

If you don't know any King's X you need to start NOW. One of my fav bands.

1st listen & initial blushes:

Caravan & BU2B - love them already

CA - phenomenal Rush tune, love it

Anarchist - great, nuff said

Carnies - great jamming by the boyz, really enjoyed it

Halo Effect - eh, ok I guess, didn't float my boat

7 Cities - with that epic opening I really expected more from this one, it's good but I was expecting Rushtastic

Wreckers - too repetitive & nothing that really grabbed my attention

HF - epic, loved this one from the get go

BU2B2 - eh, skip

WTW - good, cool jamming in the middle but repeats waaaaaay too much

The Garden - epic Alex solo but really didn't do much for me besides that

Very good, perhaps great effort after the CD arrives and I can spend some time with it but when I hear Rush greatness I usually know it right away. My guess is there's about 40 minutes of classic Rush here...that'll work for me.

Best overall album in a looooong time, lots of energy from all 3 and Neil is really playing his ass off...hard to believe he's almost 60.

Caravan - slightly different mix, more keys n the chorus, extra vocal line at the end

BUB2 - Biggest surprise... this mix is far superior to the original. Alex' guitar is clearer, all the parts are distinct and are not the sonic blur of the single version. There is echo/reverb on Geddy's vocals not found on the single ("...loves us all to death...").

Clockwork Angels - wasn't expecting to like this, but thought it was very ambitious, varied stylistically, took some chances musically (always a favorite surprise in a RUSH album)

The Anarchist - I don't remember much of it. It will require repeated listens

Carnies - Not impressed, seems weak. May require more scrutiny on my part

Halo Effect - Needs repeated listens. Either this song, or was it the Anarchist, has a very distict 80's vibe (Alex's guitar sound and soloing style)

Seven Cities of Gold - Finally some very nice playing by all. I liked the unison guitar/bass playing; a much needed break from the multiple layers of sound of the previous songs. This may grow on me.

The Wreckers - This one is beautiful, powerful song. Great melodies, very emotionally powerful chorus. My favourite of the album.

Headlong Flight - A solid, but not inspired, hard-rocking RUSH song

BU2B2 - I don't get, I just don't get it or like it (the first must-skip RUSH song in some time for me).

Wish Them Well - Starts off fine, gets repetitive and disappointing... starts to redeem itself surprisingly, then gets all overblown and bombastic. (I may leave it off my custom CA playlist but I will continue to try to see if it has merit).

The Garden - Great end the album. Pretty unique in the RUSH catalog inasmuch as Geddy's singing goes... very emotional and melodically beautiful. The piano is a nice touch as are the deftly written string parts. Best part of the song however is Alex's unexpectedly bold, raw, and touching guitar solo.

Overall, very well done (and if I take out a couple of weaker songs it becomes a real standout record)!!

Man I can't wait to listen to the album after reading all these comments!

1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 4 2012, 10:29 PM)
Fourth listen, and The Anarchist has grown on me. Some cool stuff happening there. biggrin.gif I also really like BU2B2. Even if its just "filler" or and interlude, its still a really cool. Love the strings on that track. Also Wish You Well is a very catchy but good pop rock song. If it sounds like King's X like people here have stated, then I need to start listening to King's X.

Indeed, King's X rules, however, stating that "Wish Them Well" sounds like King's X is no compliment to King's X !!

I've been listening to this for a little while. Honestly, I'm finding some of it a little hard to get into. This album is not very accessible.

Fortunately, Caravan, BU2B, Carnies and The Wreckers are so great that they almost make up for any other problems I may have.

I've heard a couple of songs on XM but I don't own any albums. They definitely sounded like a band I'd like.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 4 2012, 09:51 PM)

I've heard a couple of songs on XM but I don't own any albums. They definitely sounded like a band I'd like.

Get Out Of Silent Planet, Gretchen Goes To Nebraska, or Dogman first. Ear Candy and Tape Head are highly recommended as well.

THIS ALBUM ROCKS!!! 8/10

1 point off because I felt like some tracks could have been shorter

1 point off because some (very few) moments of lull were too long

(and I kind of wish there was more connecting noises between songs but I am guessing they will be on the real album)

...so maybe an 8.5 because both are related... but either way this is easily one of their better albums

1. Caravan - Awesome new mix, love that new phaser on the bass

2. BU2B - is still METAL and I think the new intro will really be great live

3. Clockwork Angels- Flat out Amazing, didn't need to grow on me, keeps you guessing with the different tempos, drumming, and sounds

4. The Anarchist- Another great Rush song, skeptical as it started, but it really is great as it has several signature Rush moments

5. Carnies- The riff is amazing and several drum parts were very good, doesn't really develop into a classic though, yet METAL in the sense BU2B is just with more melodic sounds between that riff

6. Halo Effect- I really like it, felt like the correct length, a great change of pace placed perfectly in the album, Alex's acoustic work is great and Geddy really carries the melody well

7. Seven Cities of Gold- Great opening and gets really good towards the back end of the song, this is one song I think that could have been trimmed in the middle, but overall it rocks, especially the up and down scale guitar, very catchy riff

8. The Wreckers- Most people really like this song, I think it's good and has a great chorus, but it is way too mellow to be a radio single, if I wasn't a fan, I wouldn't be pumped to listen to this album because of the song, more like, "Well that was nice" Good song with good moments, not the best on this album

9. Headlong Flight- Song is Amazing Still and will be so good live

10. BU2B2- it serves it's purpose and is interesting, would never stand on its own as a song, but in the context of the album it fits perfectly

11. Wish Them Well- I expected something long and repetitive, the beginning kind of is, but it is catchy and has been stuck in my head, but the end of this song is GREAT, the breakdown and melody change makes the song

12. The Garden - Beautiful. They hit the nail on the head, wish Alex's solo was 2:00 minutes long, and the fade out at the end could have been slightly shorter, but another they must play live

Overall, I wouldn't be upset to hear the entire thing live. I can't wait to pay for my Itunes download on the 12th and then go buy a real copy or two. Somebody said it earlier and I am just going to echo it....

"Guys in their 60's should not be making this kind of music"

Basically....its incredible and I hope Geddy can actually sing it live

Wow! That is all I can say, what a pleasant surprise. Coming from someone such as myself that has not liked much of what has been released post Counterparts, this is awesome, and way more than I expected. I did not think they had it in them at this point. Cannot wait for my physical copy of the album to arrive!

Rush on everyone! trink39.gif

Edited by Steely Caress

4th time through the album. The Garden is the first Rush song that made me outright cry. It took the 4th listen but it all clicked. The lyrics...are fantastic.

This might be Peart's best lyrical performance. This album right here.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 4 2012, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 4 2012, 09:51 PM)

Get Out Of Silent Planet, Gretchen Goes To Nebraska, or Dogman first. Ear Candy and Tape Head are highly recommended as well.

I'll check them out once I'm over my Clockwork Angels obsession.

Alex's Guitar sound during the Bridge/Chorus (Minor Part anyway) of The Garden is so wicked and different then the Verses before! His lead is one of the best ever! This is going to be huge LIVE! I see them ending the 1st set with this very easily! They have to play the entire Suite!

They just have too!

wub.gif 2.gif wub.gif 2.gif wub.gif

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 4 2012, 10:18 PM)
4th time through the album. The Garden is the first Rush song that made me outright cry. It took the 4th listen but it all clicked. The lyrics...are fantastic.

It's definitely one of his best drumming records.

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 4 2012, 09:25 PM)
Clockwork Angels is an unbelievable track. This track grows and grows and blossoms with each listen. It's like a Dream Theater song.

If Mike Portnoy heard that, he'd probably go out and pick up the album and fanboy the living shit out of it, that he'll convince the guys at Adrenaline Mob or Flying Colors to cover the album in its entirety on their next tour....oh my bad, that's something he'd do if he was still in Dream Theater. In all seriousness, I love Dream Theater, and I can see where you're coming from. IDK about you, but for me, it sounds like it could've been a song off of Awake, Train of Thought, or to a lesser extent a heavier song from Octavarium.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jun 4 2012, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 4 2012, 09:25 PM)
Clockwork Angels is an unbelievable track. This track grows and grows and blossoms with each listen. It's like a Dream Theater song.

If Mike Portnoy heard that, he'd probably go out and pick up the album and fanboy the living shit out of it, that he'll convince the guys at Adrenaline Mob or Flying Colors to cover the album in its entirety on their next tour....oh my bad, that's something he'd do if he was still in Dream Theater. In all seriousness, I love Dream Theater, and I can see where you're coming from. IDK about you, but for me, it sounds like it could've been a song off of Awake, Train of Thought, or to a lesser extent a heavier song from Octavarium.

I'm not sure what DT album I could picture it being on but it does sound similar to their style. Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands so I'm not complaining!

I was thinking Falling into Infinity if that album had a bit more edge.

The guitar work in The Garden reminds me a lot of Petrucci's recent stuff. Very good stuff. Two paragons of prog.

On the whole, I'd rank the songs as follows:

1. The Garden (9.75/10)

2. Caravan (9.25/10)

3. The Wreckers (9.25/10)

4. The Anarchist (9/10)

5. BU2B2 (9/10)

6. Clockwork Angels (9/10)

7. BU2B (8/10)

8. Headlong Flight (7.75/10)

9. Carnies (7.75/10)

10. Wish Them Well (7/10)

11. Halo Effect (7/10)

12. Seven Cities of Gold (6.5/10)

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 4 2012, 09:18 PM)

I can't wait to see where the song that made you cry fits into your catalog rankings! That's got to end up pretty high!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 4 2012, 11:02 PM)
QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 4 2012, 09:18 PM)

I can't wait to see where the song that made you cry fits into your catalog rankings! That's got to end up pretty high!

I'll finish the rankings before CA is released as planned, but then I'll go back and add the CA songs into the list after that.