Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 4 2012, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 4 2012, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 4 2012, 06:17 PM)
Honestly, I wasn't paying attention to the lyrics. I just loved the BU2B motif and the way the songs flowed into each other. BU2B2 is the only thing that screams "CONCEPT ALBUM" to me.

I would've liked to have seen more recurring motifs and stuff, but I still think it's the best concept album since Scenes from a Memory (though Porcupine Tree's In Absentia comes close!)

I think there are better concept albums out there. Tommy, The Lamb, and Scenes from a Memory are all untouchables that are far above it, IMO. But then again, those are the masterpieces by those respective bands. I'd say it's on par with Misplaced Childhood.

WOW, now I'm seriously excited. bncegrn.gif But for me, Misplaced Childhood is about 1000X better than Scenes From a Mammary. tongue.gif

Yeah, Dream Theater are polarizing. To be honest, this concept album is firmly in the "Tommy" camp - lots of stand-alone "scenes". This is a very raw record - perhaps the closest the band has sounded to 2112 since, well, 2112.

Actually, I do like Dream Theater but am just MUCH more of a Marillion fan. smile.gif

For me, it's Rush, Genesis, Yes, and Marillion (Fish and Hogarth). trink36.gif

At this point in their career I couldn't ask for anything more. The fact that they can write these types of songs and perform them with the energy they need is pretty impressive. Is Clockwork Angels among the best albums Rush has produced? Probably not. But it's definitely an intelligent and challenging listen. Kudos to Rush, a band I still love.

The lead for The Garden just may be one of Alex's best, soulful leads and way too short.

I purposefully listened to Halo Effect and Wish Them Well last because they seemed to be everybody's least favorites. But you know what.......they are pretty darn good. This is a very consistent record.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 4 2012, 06:07 PM)
I purposefully listened to Halo Effect and Wish Them Well last because they seemed to be everybody's least favorites. But you know what.......they are pretty darn good. This is a very consistent record.

Wish them Well gets a lot of hate here, but I think it has one of their best melodies in years.

I posted this earlier today at the Pink-Camel Forum, but I thought I would share it here as well. This is my personal review of Clockwork Angels (at least after the first few listens).

So the time has finally come for the latest release from Canadian progressive rockers Rush. Rush has been around for nearly 40 years now, and even though it has been 5 years and 2 tours since their previous studio album, the band is stronger than ever, bringing in their most progressive sound since 1984's Grace Under Pressure. With Clockwork Angels, Rush has ventured into new territory for themselves: the concept album.

The album starts out with two previously released tracks, albeit with slight differences. "Caravan" and "BU2B" were released as a double single back in summer of 2010, and they have become sort of the introduction to this concept album. Although I haven't been the biggest fan of these two songs, the little differences on the album version make them a bit more bearable. "Caravan" is the least changed, although a few things that I noticed include the louder synth parts, some added flange to the bass during the jam section, as well as some more noticeable vocal harmonies. However, the song's chorus of "I can't stop thinking big" is repeated way too many times. "BU2B" has become a different entity now, beginning with a haunting vocal and acoustic introduction. However, the main riff of 2 notes is so mindless and irritating that I drives me mad. Also, the rant on religion seems to be detached from the rest of the story. Additional vocal harmonies are evident in the remix, particularly on the very final line. The track does, however, suffer from the endless repetition that "Caravan" was plagued with.

Finally, the third track "Clockwork Angels" breaks the mindlessness of the first two tracks, and is the true beginning of the album in my opinion. Excitingly, this track's music was written mostly by guitarist Alex Lifeson, which makes it a bit different from the rest of album. Perhaps one of the most progressive songs they have done since Moving Pictures, the song seems to touch on all sorts of time signatures and key changes, which provides for a thrilling piece of music. This is the perfect track to name the album after (or perhaps the other way around). I feel like this could have been a fantastic opener to the album as well. At the 4:25 mark, Lifeson gives one of the best solo he has done on a studio album in a very long time. This solo is followed by a small jazz section which changes the mood completely with the addition of some slide guitar and near-spoken vocals. After a final chorus, the song sounds like it is segueing into another track, but it really goes into a rambunctious 7 second ending. The lyrics, written by drummer Neil Peart as always, begin to develop the storyline more and more, which adds a new factor to the connections between songs.

"The Anarchist" is the fourth track, and I have to say that it possesses one of the best Lifeson solos since "La Villa Strangiato". His use of the harmonic minor scale really creates a middle eastern mood, unlike any other Rush song released. The opening riff is similar to what might be found on 2112, with electric chords instead a straight-away riff. Also, a section at the end of the chorus goes completely out of a minor key to a major key, which is funny sounding, but awesomely executed by bassist Geddy Lee. The track segues right into "Carnies", which is an all out rocker. After some sound effects like laughing and typical carnival background noises, Alex brings in one of the heaviest, dirtiest sounding riffs ever imagined by him. Throughout the song, various synth lines play with Alex and Geddy often mimicking them. The chorus has one of the best chorus sequence with a great ascending line that hits a note out of the scale before finally resting on the satisfatory note. Much like "Caravan", this song has a middle jam section, although it is a bit shorter. Neil starts getting intense on his toms before Alex plays a "solo" which plays a melody that the vocals follow.

"Halo Effect", the second shortest song on the album at just over 3 minutes, rounds off the first half of the album. This is one of my lesser favorites, as it merely sticks to a simple structure of verse-chorus. The acoustic guitar is reminiscent of something that might be on 2007's Snakes and Arrows. In the end, this song really just seems like a modern pop song, although some orchestration during the chorus adds a unique touch.

"Seven Cities of Gold" brings the raw energy back into the album with an opening bass groove and some epic Peart drum fills, uncluding some cow bell. Alex gets things fired up with a mini solo before a riff-rock explosion begins. The verses seem to follow a pattern similar to Zeppelin's "Black Dog" with each line followed by the main riff, although not so choppily. A bridge section brings a focus on the lyrics for a brief moment before the lackluster chorus. The chorus is very simple and has an obvious and overused chord progression. However a bar of 7/8 during the second half of the chorus makes it a small bit more exciting. At the end of the chorus section, we get some Geddy wails before the main riff enters in again for the second verse. After another repeat of the chorus, Neil begins an interesting groove with a fuzzy Lifeson playing over Geddy's funkadelic bass lines. This song seems to be very repetitive, which is excessively detrimental to my impression of the song, although the main riff is quite interesting.

Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson change things up a bit on "The Wreckers", with Lee playing guitar and Lifeson playing bass. While the initial concept is cool, the songwriting suffers with a very conventional and obvious structure. A simple main riff following a D major progression that Alex has been doing for years is very boring. However, the verse mood (albeit only two chord) is better, with a tense and surreal feel. The chorus, although sing-songy, isn't that bad. It is reminiscent of "Faithless" from Snakes and Arrows with its commercial sound and catchy chorus. Finally, the middle section goes into a more intense mood before swelling up with orchestra into the final chorus, which features a nice guitar solo, which gets cut off by a fade-out (one of only two on the album, thankfully). While not awful, this is probably one of my lesser favorites on the album. "Headlong Flight" comes next, and even though it was released a month or so ago, it still hits hard. Much better than the first two singles from the album, this song really packs a punch in its 7 and a half minute glory. However, in the course of the whole album, it begins to feel way too repetitive with its structure. Still, the mini drum solo, Necromancer- like narration, wah-wah guitar solo, and Geddy's most fervent bass playing on the album all make this song a great one.

The shortest song on the album "BU2B2" is strangely one of my favorites. The lyrics, comprised of a similar rhyme scheme that Neil used on the first "BU2B", are hauntingly sung by Geddy over orchestration. "Life goes from bad to worse," he sings. This is the most depressing song on the album by far, but the fact that Rush has never ever done anything whatsoever like this draws me back to it again and again. This tense atmosphere is interrupted by "Wish Them Well", my least favorite song on the album. The song is just a simple verse chorus pop song with cliche lyrics and chord changes. However, the bridge section after each verse is pretty cool, with a 6/8 bar followed by a 4/4 bar. This also is one of the few songs on the album with the much disliked "Geddy Choirs". I don't think the overlaying of his voice is too bad, but it definitely sounds like a leftover from Snakes and Arrows. Like "Marathon" from Power Windows, however, the middle section of the song seems to provide some more interesting sections before the chorus is repeated again...and again...and again.

Finally, the album ends with one of the greatest endings to any Rush album, "The Garden". The intro features a bass line with orchestration overtop, with the orchestration appearing throughout the song. Alex comes in on acoustic in a fashion similar to "Resist" from Test For Echo for the first verse, followed by a chorus laden pre-chorus. In fact, it sounds like Lifeson might even have broken out a twelve string! The intro bass line and orchestration follows before Neil creeps his way in for the second verse. Geddy sings heartfelt about the protagonist's view on everything that has happened in the course of the album. During this song, it is evident how awesome Rush sounds with an orchestra. After a repeat of the the twelve string guitar part, there's an appearance of a piano line unlike anything on any other Rush album. When was the last time you heard real legit piano on a Rush album? After Geddy sings a line that builds up with cellos underneath, a swell brings the whole band back in with Lifeson giving one of the most emotional solos he's ever given. Neil's drums keep the beat nice and clean, seeing that the mood doesn't need a bunch of bashing or loud drum fills. After the solo, the band goes back into the chorus one last time, this time with orchestration at full bore. Finally, Geddy sings the last line and the band stops as one lone cello note rings out for the final few seconds.

After my first listen to this album, I was absolutely speechless about the album. I couldn't comprehend how amazing this album was. Unlike any other Rush album released. Truly a gem, especially for the 21st century, Clockwork Angels will certainly go down as a Rush classic.

Edited by GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ Jun 4 2012, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Jun 4 2012, 07:20 PM)
Great review GangsterOnBoats!  It was a really interesting read smile.gif

Thanks for the encouragement my friend!

Great review but I disagree about Caravan and BU2B. People tend to discount them because they have been out forever and we have heard them to death but if these tracks were new today I think they are as good as anything on the record. And that's saying a lot because the rest is great.

For me...

Caravan: Grower

BU2B: Shower

Clockwork Angels: Grower

The Anarchist: Shower

Carnies: Grower

Halo Effect: Shower

Seven Cities of Gold: Grower

The Wreckers: Shower

Headlong Flight: Grower

BU2B2: Shower

Wish them Well: Shower

The Garden: Grower/Shower

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Jun 4 2012, 08:20 PM)
Great review GangsterOnBoats! It was a really interesting read smile.gif

Yes. Should put that one on ProgArchives!

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 07:42 PM)
it's a bummer for me because they are definitely going to come back and play caravan and bu2b which takes up two valuable setlist spots.

I'm telling you guys, this is the tour for them to play this in it's entirety! Leave all the requests and desires for R40!

yes.gif

I listened earlier on my computer but when I got home from work I burned it onto a CD and just played some of it LOUD on my home stereo. Seven Cities of Gold is just awesome and the louder the better. Tons of other things really came through for me, too. But The Garden, holy crap, the whole "brought me to tears" thing has always been figurative to me until a little while ago. I swear I got chills and teared up. When I first heard it thi morning and it transitioned out of the verses I thought "NO, that was so beautiful..." but what hit me a little while ago is that the rest is somehow even better. Seriously, this is pure 100% magic and the lyrics that I could make out only enhanced this feeling. Call me a wuss, f**k it, right now I don't care. There's no other band that makes me feel like this and I admit that it's why I sometimes get touchy about fans who are sometimes insulting and condescending about the band. They're really special. smile.gif

QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ Jun 4 2012, 07:15 PM)
After my first listen to this album, I was absolutely speechless about the album. I couldn't comprehend how amazing this album was. Unlike any other Rush album released. Truly a gem, especially for the 21st century, Clockwork Angels will certainly go down as a Rush classic.

Wow, to me this seems very generous considering a lot of your earlier criticism: "repetitive," "mindlessness," "irritating," "rant on religion," "endless repetition," "obvious," "overused," "simple," "lackluster," "very boring," "sing-songy," etc. unsure.gif

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 4 2012, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 07:42 PM)
it's a bummer for me because they are definitely going to come back and play caravan and bu2b which takes up two valuable setlist spots.

I'm telling you guys, this is the tour for them to play this in it's entirety! Leave all the requests and desires for R40!

yes.gif

Yeah, I have a feeling they may play the entire album to start the second set. Or maybe they'll break it up and play six song blocks in each set, because I think they'll want some of the new stuff in the first set.

Oh well, ReflectedLight will have plenty of time to hang out in the restroom and beer garden. trink38.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 4 2012, 01:40 PM)
If Tony R, rushgoober, and Reflected Light actually have a few good things to say about this record it must be off the charts!

Maybe there's something to say about keeping your expectations cautiously optimistic or even low or realistic - leaves room to be pleasantly surprised, as opposed to expecting the greatest album of our generation, which is hard to live up to. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 08:13 PM)
If Tony R, rushgoober, and Reflected Light actually have a few good things to say about this record it must be off the charts!

Maybe there's something to say about keeping your expectations cautiously optimistic or even low or realistic - leaves room to be pleasantly surprised, as opposed to expecting the greatest album of our generation, which is hard to live up to. wink.gif

But there's a big difference between "cautious optimism" and "dread." tongue.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 4 2012, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ Jun 4 2012, 07:15 PM)

Wow, to me this seems very genersous considering a lot of your earlier criticism: "repetitive," "mindlessness," "irritating," "rant on religion," "endless repetition," "obvious," "overused," "simple," "lackluster," "very boring," "sing-songy," etc. unsure.gif

Well I don't know what your personal musical tastes are, but take for example Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd (just because many people know this album). I think most of those adjectives could be used about that album, yet it is still a great album in my mind. The chord sequence to breath is a mere E minor and an A dominant 7th chord, both of which are overused and repetitive, but I still love the song.

"Xanadu" is a mindlessly repetitive song that follows simple chord changes yet still goes down as one of the greatest Rush songs from that era. Do you see what I'm getting at? While I don't personally enjoy the first two tracks, I think the rest of the album is at least good, with the majority of it being GREAT. That is all smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 08:13 PM)

trink39.gif Glad you found something to enjoy on this record. Which tune is your early fave? Garden?