Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

after a first listen i don't care for it at all. it's bashing away to power cords album. the two songs that i can deal with are the garden and the wreckers. both are the mellow tunes. lots of the tunes have the same tempo and song structure. drums fit the music. nothing special from neil on the album. he played what the music called for. no attack from the tom toms. fix that! solid album just don't dig it... yet.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 4 2012, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 4 2012, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 4 2012, 11:33 AM)
There are too many power chords.

And this is a bad thing because......?

I'm being sarcastic in reference to a previous thread.

LOL.gif

You could wait a week and buy the album.

Oh I have the album on order. Ready and willing, but reading all of this feedback on the leak is making me too excited now. I know its just one more week, but dang it! I wanna hear it now. fists crying.gif comp26.gif

QUOTE (shail @ Jun 4 2012, 10:42 AM)
after a first listen i don't care for it at all. it's bashing away to power cords album. the two songs that i can deal with are the garden and the wreckers. both are the mellow tunes. lots of the tunes have the same tempo and song structure. drums fit the music. nothing special from neil on the album. he played what the music called for. no attack from the tom toms. fix that! solid album just don't dig it... yet.

same here but i'll continue to listen to it and try to absorb it better.

I need to listen more, but basically...

This is a solid album. It's not as great as I wanted it to be, but it's good. It's better than Snakes & Arrows (well, at least to me. Understand I didn't like S&A).

So I couldn't be any happier. Yeah, some of the tracks go on way too long. But on the whole I enjoy the majority of the tracks. And that's a win in my book.

On first listen I think it holds together much better than Vapor Trails and Snakes & Arrows. It's a good album and I'm sure several of the songs will grow on me immensely like tons of previous Rush songs.

And yes, I pre-ordered the CD.

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 4 2012, 10:45 AM)
I need to listen more, but basically...

This is a solid album. It's not as great as I wanted it to be, but it's good. It's better than Snakes & Arrows (well, at least to me. Understand I didn't like S&A).

So I couldn't be any happier. Yeah, some of the tracks go on way too long. But on the whole I enjoy the majority of the tracks. And that's a win in my book.

Coming from you, biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I respect your views a lot.

I was overly content with this album.

Then I realized there isn't an instrumental on it sad.gif

Edited by Strangiato

Finished my first listen.

2.gif

1022.gif

Overall, very good! The only song I don't really like is Wish Them Well.

The Anarchist, Carnies, Seven Cities of Gold, and The Wreckers are particular highlights, IMHO.

The piano in The Garden is a very nice little surprise.

I need to give a few more listens to fully evaluate. I'd say this is easily better than Snakes and Arrows (which I liked).

I'm looking forward to hearing these songs live. Only 5 months to go.

wacko.gif

The Wreckers... sooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooodddd!!!!!! Have not finished the album yet, but I was just blown away by The Wreckers. It gave me chills.

Acually this whole thread has been a trap......i've weeded out all who have downloaded the album illegially... government agents will be knocking at your doors shortly....

Just joking, loving the feedback and i cannot wait to hear this! I might sacrifice some sleep and listen to this tonight....

Two listens in, and the title track did seem to sound better the second time around, which is good. I don't mind Wish Them Well. I'd say it's the worst of a very good bunch, so it's by no means bad. The Wreckers is one of the best Rush songs of the last 20 years, if not before that. It's that good, even after only 2 listens. I will reiterate my earlier comment, The Garden is beautiful, such a nice, feel-good song to end the album with. Totally unexpected given the theme of the rest of the album, but a nice surprise nonetheless.

I liked S&A, but CA is much better. In fact, I'd agree that it's the best for a very long time.

Edited by Unobtrusive Companion

I have to listen to the title track again. I didnt love it first time through, sounded like 14 different jam session pasted together, and have just gone back and listened to the songs I liked the first time through so Ill listen to it again shortly.

What did people think of Seven Cities of Gold?

popcorn.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 4 2012, 10:52 AM)
Acually this whole thread has been a trap......i've weeded out all who have downloaded the album illegially... government agents will be knocking at your doors shortly....

Just joking, loving the feedback and i cannot wait to hear this! I might sacrifice some sleep and listen to this tonight....

you won't regret, I hope.

QUOTE (Xanaseb @ Jun 4 2012, 10:56 AM)
What did people think of Seven Cities of Gold?

popcorn.gif

Honestly, It's completely rockin'. I loveeee it!