lack of comment on current events in CA lyrics

lonelymoon

On S n A, Neil's lyrics touched on current events such as the war on terror with lines like "From the middle east to the middle west, pray and pass the ammunition." In the five years since then, we've witnessed paradigm-changing events like the Arab Spring, the election of the first black president, the global economic meltdown, the rise of protests against the 1 percent, rapid advances in communication tech, and environmental disasters like the gulf oil spill and fukushima. Neil has usually shown the interest and conscience to comment on the major events of his time, but now he has decided to focus the whole album on how some Victorians fancifully (and incorrectly) envisioned the future?? WTF?? What could possibly be of less interest or relevance to his audience. Steampunk theme while so much is happening in the real world = epic fail for Neil and major facepalm for the fans. eh.gif

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 4 2012, 05:51 AM)
On S n A, Neil's lyrics touched on current events such as the war on terror with lines like "From the middle east to the middle west, pray and pass the ammunition." In the five years since then, we've witnessed paradigm-changing events like the Arab Spring, the election of the first black president, the global economic meltdown, the rise of protests against the 1 percent, rapid advances in communication tech, and environmental disasters like the gulf oil spill and fukushima. Neil has usually shown the interest and conscience to comment on the major events of his time, but now he has decided to focus the whole album on how some Victorians fancifully (and incorrectly) envisioned the future?? WTF?? What could possibly be of less interest or relevance to his audience. Steampunk theme while so much is happening in the real world = epic fail for Neil and major facepalm for the fans. eh.gif

Ok, Now I know for sure you are one of these:

http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/112010/main-troll.jpg

Wow dude, just wow.

1. it's a f***ing concept album "the future as seen from the past". what makes you think there would be any social commentary otherwise?

2. how the hell do you KNOW there isnt anything current events driven? do you have a copy of the album already?

we get it, you're setting yourself up to dislike the album. good for you.

now go crawl back into your hole.

Wow, this guy makes a legitimate point and gets nothing but hate. I guess the only way to be accepted around here is to make another dumb poll like "What brand of toilet paper will you be using using when Clockwork Angels comes out?"

I see what you mean...so many great Rush albums have served as a commentary on the times. We all know Neil is a very worldly, well-read, etc. dude and quite political to boot, so there's still every chance Clockwork Angels WILL have 'socially relevent' lyrics...albeit in a heavily metaphorical / stylized way.

Edited by NYM86

This album is chock full of currrent events. The Wreckers is about Fukushima.. and the BP spill. Are you stupid?

I think "Carnies" is about the current global affair with the Carnival economical crisis.

And "Wreckers", well have seen the kind state the whole wrecking ball industry is in.

As long as the album is good who cares if Neil or any other lyricist writes about current events or about World War 2? It's certainly never been a deciding factor in me liking Rush or any other band. If the final product is good it shouldn't matter what "time" the lyics are set in. Also, we haven't heard the full album yet so we don't know for sure what all the lyrical subjects will be. Edited by J2112YYZ

I thought the woodwork was a little quiet recently. I guess the real trolls are waiting for the actual release rather than the leak. Edited by USB Connector

On S n A, Neil's lyrics touched on current events such as the war on terror with lines like "From the middle east to the middle west, pray and pass the ammunition."  In the five years since then, we've witnessed paradigm-changing events like the Arab Spring, the election of the first black president, the global economic meltdown, the rise of protests against the 1 percent, rapid advances in communication tech, and environmental disasters like the gulf oil spill and fukushima.  Neil has usually shown the interest and conscience to comment on the major events of his time, but now he has decided to focus the whole album on how some Victorians fancifully (and incorrectly) envisioned the future??  WTF??  What could possibly be of less interest or relevance to his audience.  Steampunk theme while so much is happening in the real world = epic fail for Neil and major facepalm for the fans.  eh.gif

Clockwork Angels, look around you, turn on the TV and you'll see them.

This is a brilliant allegory.

The Anarchist, the Watchmaker... I was an English major and I guess I read poetry/prose the way a programmer reads code, but it's all pretty obvious to me.

I think once the book comes out, people will make more connections and even look at their own journeys.

Edited: I saw all the childish hate thrown your way, so I tried to tone my post down. IMO -- the references are there, just not literally, they're more figurative.

Edited by ThinkingBig

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 4 2012, 05:58 AM)
On S n A, Neil's lyrics touched on current events such as the war on terror with lines like "From the middle east to the middle west, pray and pass the ammunition."  In the five years since then, we've witnessed paradigm-changing events like the Arab Spring, the election of the first black president, the global economic meltdown, the rise of protests against the 1 percent, rapid advances in communication tech, and environmental disasters like the gulf oil spill and fukushima.  Neil has usually shown the interest and conscience to comment on the major events of his time, but now he has decided to focus the whole album on how some Victorians fancifully (and incorrectly) envisioned the future??  WTF??  What could possibly be of less interest or relevance to his audience.  Steampunk theme while so much is happening in the real world = epic fail for Neil and major facepalm for the fans.  eh.gif

Ok, Now I know for sure you are one of these:

http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/112010/main-troll.jpg

Wow dude, just wow.

Can we stop calling everyone who articulates an opinion in a clear manner a 'troll'.

I haven't given it a full listen, now on Clockwork Angels, but I'm sure some of the album reflects current events! But at the same time, it's more of a story-telling album. So I wouldn't be surprised..

I don't think he's being a troll though...?

They can sing about Gumdrops and Rainbows for all i care, as long as the Music kicks ass