New Sample clips, not the Walmart first 30 sec one

vaportrails2002

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 3 2012, 08:52 AM)

3.  I wish I had a "BLOCK TRENKEN IN CA" button in this thread.  Everything this guy writes is a bummer.  TonyR too.  A "BLOCK TONYR IN CA"  button would be nice too.

laugh.gif too bad you can't run this subforum tongue.gif

Heh, I should have avoided listening to those samples. I was so pumped when I heard the Walmart ones, which indicated a lot of diversity, and these clips kind of sound the same for the most part. The only thing that stood out for me was The Wrekers. That was so beautiful and flowed really nicely. I haven't heard a melody like that from Rush in a long time.

I'm a bit bummed, but I'll wait. 30 seconds only reveals so much, so I'll wait to see what the full context will be.

Ugh, I hate clips that come from somewhere in the middle of a song. There's not a whole lot of context and it's kinda jarring, if not sometimes downright irritating. Samples that start at the beginning, at least your brain has a definite starting point as a reference and you have a psychological sense of direction. There's a real sense of flow (something that is important to music listening), even though it is cruelly cut off in a few seconds. To me, it fits in with why when you read a teaser sample of an upcoming novel at the back of an author's current work, it starts on chapter one and not chapter 23 somewhere in the middle. At least in most cases!

I don't want to listen to these clips, though I'm sure I'll cave in at some point. smile.gif But in the past, whenever I would hear a clip of a new song by any band I like, the effect was jarring and distracting if it was a few seconds somewhere in the middle. I remember feeling that way with the clip for Test For Echo years back (I remember it started right on the "tough talking hood-boys" part and I was like, meh) and I ended up loving that song when I heard it in its entirety. Same thing with the VT clips that came out before the album, though an exception there was that I immediately loved Freeze based off its context-less clip, just because the music that comprises its chorus really hits me in the right spot.

Arggh.... so tempted... must resist...

In general, I like what I've heard - noting that any of these 30 second clips cannot provide much insight into how a whole song will come together (i.e. while I appreciated the "previews" that Porcupine Tree had for their past few releases, I ALWAYS found my reaction to the complete album to be quite a different experience - obviously, we project alot onto the unheard...)

However, I am a bit bummed that "The Garden" uses my absolute most detested office saying - "It is what it is." There is an asshole manager at my ecompany that consistently pulls out that gem for any situation that might occur. It became his easy way out of ever giving thought to or addressing any issue. HATE that saying - and now it's in a Rush song... boo!!

This is too funny! I have taken a step back to look at the forum and it is hilarious what die hard fans we all are!

First someone found the walmart clips, now we have clips from some random Italian website! Too funny! And six pages of comments on 30 second clips! Hahaha!

That being said, I am a huge Rush fan, admitedly not as big as some, but this whole waiting for the album this is humourus when you take a step back and see how crazy we all really are lol.

1022.gif

QUOTE (cygnify @ Jun 3 2012, 09:35 AM)
However, I am a bit bummed that "The Garden" uses my absolute most detested office saying - "It is what it is." There is an asshole manager at my ecompany that consistently pulls out that gem for any situation that might occur. It became his easy way out of ever giving thought to or addressing any issue. HATE that saying - and now it's in a Rush song... boo!!

lol, same here! I cringe every time my boss says that.

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 3 2012, 07:48 AM)
QUOTE (cygnify @ Jun 3 2012, 09:35 AM)
However, I am a bit bummed that "The Garden" uses my absolute most detested office saying - "It is what it is."  There is an asshole manager at my ecompany that consistently pulls out that gem for any situation that might occur.  It became his easy way out of ever giving thought to or addressing any issue.  HATE that saying - and now it's in a Rush song... boo!!

lol, same here! I cringe every time my boss says that.

I understand that expression bothers you guys, but it is what it is. yes.gif

tongue.gif

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 3 2012, 08:32 AM)
Ugh, I hate clips that come from somewhere in the middle of a song. There's not a whole lot of context and it's kinda jarring, if not sometimes downright irritating.

Hopefully soon we'll have enough clips to put the album together ourselves! lol

To the one that said the Clockwork Angels riff sounds just like the Grand Finale of 2112 you get a cookie. They really sound alike

As far as Double Agent goes, I always thought Caravan's riff sounded more like DA.

Regardless, DA and Grand Finale offer 2 of my favorite Lifeson riffs of all time so I'm loving it

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 3 2012, 02:52 PM)
Here's what I think for what its worth:

1. Brilliant 30 seconds opening clips we already heard...

2. Brilliant 30 seconds later in each songs with deep lyrical meaning and awesome sounding songs. Very textural, great musicianship, great mix and clarity, some very progressive pieces here unlike anything Rush or any rock band has ever done before. Incredible really. Best effort I have heard from them in maybe two decades.

3. I wish I had a "BLOCK TRENKEN IN CA" button in this thread. Everything this guy writes is a bummer. TonyR too. A "BLOCK TONYR IN CA" button would be nice too.

For heaven's sake get a bloody grip!

Wait until you've heard the whole album before wetting your panties...unlike anything any rock band has ever released??? rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 3 2012, 10:14 AM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 3 2012, 02:52 PM)
Here's what I think for what its worth:

1.  Brilliant 30 seconds opening clips we already heard...

2.  Brilliant 30 seconds later in each songs with deep lyrical meaning and awesome sounding songs.  Very textural, great musicianship, great mix and clarity, some very progressive pieces here unlike anything Rush or any rock band has ever done before.  Incredible really.  Best effort I have heard from them in maybe two decades.

3.  I wish I had a "BLOCK TRENKEN IN CA" button in this thread.  Everything this guy writes is a bummer.  TonyR too.  A "BLOCK TONYR IN CA"  button would be nice too.

For heaven's sake get a bloody grip!

Wait until you've heard the whole album before wetting your panties...unlike anything any rock band has ever released??? rofl3.gif

We're on a Rush board. What do you expect? If Rush put out some piece of garbage country album I swear there are people here that would defend it.

They could basically just slap any crap song together and they have a bunch of fans that will love it. No point in arguing with it at this point. Everyone has their opinions. Problem is on this site there's almost noone policing around here so anyone that has a differing opinion from someone else just gets attacked.

There was no need for him to bring my name up. Im guessing he's like 15 years old.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 04:24 PM)
BTW I have to mention my favorite lyrical line in the new clips. "Demon music and gypsy queens".

*major cringe*

Is Neil even trying anymore?

I heard gypsy music and demon queens.

That might just be a musical impression I got though...

Reading this thread makes something I posted in a different thread that much more relevant...

There is a big difference between being a Rush fan and being allowed to dislike some of their albums and some of their songs, and those individuals that seem to thrive on the negative. Anyone that says everything Rush has put out is awesome is a blind fanboi or just lying themselves.

The problem I have sometimes are those certain people that choose to always EMPHASIZE the negative, or gravitate to subjects about something wrong with Rush or one of the songs on a particular album. Within this forum, there are definitely certain posters that when I see them post something it's a safe bet that more often than not it will touch on something they don't like about Rush, or a song off Snakes and Arrows, or what's wrong with Headlong Flight instead of everything that's right about it.

I think we all know these people in real life. Those types of people that seem to relish the negative or gravitate to it and don't seem happy unless something is wrong.

A lot of threads and posts on forums like this get a lot more attention when they're negative so we see a certain group that will always seem to gravitate to those subjects, and they seem to be emphasized more.

As I said, these types of people exist everywhere in real life and fan message boards are a perfect spot for those type of people to be able to relish in the negativity.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 3 2012, 07:09 AM)
some of it sounds a little S&Aish to me....

Do not want.

I agree that these samples sound less exciting than the Wal Mart clips. But I also agree this is just 30 seconds. This is why I hate samples.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 3 2012, 09:34 AM)
I gotta say that I really enjoyed the FIRST batch of 30-second clips from Walmart - the songs sounded very atmospheric and mysterious and often very DIFFERENT than what I'd heard from them before.

And this is why 30 second clips are bad indications of what songs will sound like, as now that I'm hearing sections from the middles of the songs, they sound completely different AND they sound much more like traditional modern Rush AND I like them far less than the original batch of clips.

That said, the title track sounds really cool. The rest I'm not sure about - I still need to hear the whole damn thing to really know. Not sure if I'm crazy about how Geddy's sounding vocally these days...

You and I are definitely on the same page. I'm a little bit disappointed at how different the tunes "feel" from those atmospheric intros. I miss Geddy's singing style of days before.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 3 2012, 10:29 AM)
Reading this thread makes something I posted in a different thread that much more relevant...

There is a big difference between being a Rush fan and being allowed to dislike some of their albums and some of their songs, and those individuals that seem to thrive on the negative. Anyone that says everything Rush has put out is awesome is a blind fanboi or just lying themselves.

The problem I have sometimes are those certain people that choose to always EMPHASIZE the negative, or gravitate to subjects about something wrong with Rush or one of the songs on a particular album. Within this forum, there are definitely certain posters that when I see them post something it's a safe bet that more often than not it will touch on something they don't like about Rush, or a song off Snakes and Arrows, or what's wrong with Headlong Flight instead of everything that's right about it.

I think we all know these people in real life. Those types of people that seem to relish the negative or gravitate to it and don't seem happy unless something is wrong.

A lot of threads and posts on forums like this get a lot more attention when they're negative so we see a certain group that will always seem to gravitate to those subjects, and they seem to be emphasized more.

As I said, these types of people exist everywhere in real life and fan message boards are a perfect spot for those type of people to be able to relish in the negativity.

Lame excuse. If people dont like something, they will say it. Ive talked about the things I loved about Rush many times. Those things are gone now so what should I do, just play along to make you happy and say everything sounds great to me? It doesnt.

Sounds to me like you're trying to justify why people dont like the same things you do and just brushing them off as just being negative people. Im not a negative person at all and everyone that knows me knows Im a very happy person, always joking around always trying to make sure everyone around me has a great time.

You're mixing entirely different things up. Im here just commenting about a band Ive loved since I was 8, learned every single song up until T4E on bass, spent my whole life singing their songs, and now they just put out music I think sucks. That's all it is. Stop trying to read too deep into it.