New Sample clips, not the Walmart first 30 sec one

vaportrails2002

I gotta say that I really enjoyed the FIRST batch of 30-second clips from Walmart - the songs sounded very atmospheric and mysterious and often very DIFFERENT than what I'd heard from them before.

And this is why 30 second clips are bad indications of what songs will sound like, as now that I'm hearing sections from the middles of the songs, they sound completely different AND they sound much more like traditional modern Rush AND I like them far less than the original batch of clips.

That said, the title track sounds really cool. The rest I'm not sure about - I still need to hear the whole damn thing to really know. Not sure if I'm crazy about how Geddy's sounding vocally these days...

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 3 2012, 08:34 AM)
I gotta say that I really enjoyed the FIRST batch of 30-second clips from Walmart - the songs sounded very atmospheric and mysterious and often very DIFFERENT than what I'd heard from them before.

And this is why 30 second clips are bad indications of what songs will sound like, as now that I'm hearing sections from the middles of the songs, they sound completely different AND they sound much more like traditional modern Rush AND I like them far less than the original batch of clips.

That said, the title track sounds really cool. The rest I'm not sure about - I still need to hear the whole damn thing to really know. Not sure if I'm crazy about how Geddy's sounding vocally these days...

Im not even going to comment on the vocals themselves anymore outside of the melodies, most of which Im just not digging and dont personally feel he's been very good at it in a long time.

He's almost 60 now, spent his entire life abusing his voice and a bunch of years smoking. not expecting him to sound any better than he does so its not even worth commenting on at this point.

It's good to keep expectations reasonable, not inflated. Yeah, I'm not sure about Ged's vocals in some parts either......sounds like he's really straining.

A mix of positive and negative, but for me, more positive. And remember, many songs are quite lengthy, so hearing only 30 seconds or even one minute can be misleading in either direction.

Whole album.........PLEASE!!!!!

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 08:36 AM)

That said, the title track sounds really cool.  The rest I'm not sure about - I still need to hear the whole damn thing to really know.  Not sure if I'm crazy about how Geddy's sounding vocally these days...

Im not even going to comment on the vocals themselves anymore outside of the melodies, most of which Im just not digging and dont personally feel he's been very good at it in a long time.

He's almost 60 now, spent his entire life abusing his voice and a bunch of years smoking. not expecting him to sound any better than he does so its not even worth commenting on at this point.

I agree that he's straining......don't like the sound of his vocals in parts...

However, I DO like how he sounds in the Garden clip......

QUOTE (tas7 @ Jun 3 2012, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 3 2012, 11:50 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 3 2012, 07:21 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 07:16 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 3 2012, 07:08 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 06:27 AM)
My god, and I the only one that thinks these clips are f***ing terrible sounding? Bad, I mean really bad. Somehow even worse than S&A.

The lyrics all feel really angular and shoehorned into every song because the vocal melodies are awkward as hell, almost like Geddy has never written a song in his life before. The music is not has heavy as I thought it would be. None of it is as heavy as BU2B and most of it has those old 60's/70s guitar chord progressions, nothing nearly as edgy as I thought it would be.

They definitely sound completely washed up to me in these clips. The only thing I liked was the chorus in Wreckers because amazingly it actually has some normal vocal melodies.

you're not the only one. i'm still going to listen to the whole album with open ears though, but those clips are confusing to my ears. everything sounds all over the place but it is only a clip with lots of shoehorning.

Oh yeah, of course me too. This is just impressions on a few listens of each clip, that's all. Like HF the vocal melodies sound really awkward to me outside of Wreckers. Musically its really not as edgy and nasty (in a good way) as I thought it would be.

But Ill still listen to the album 100+ times once I get it. Im not giving up yet but Im a little bit disheartened by what Im hearing so far.

i like headlong flight alot. these clips reminded me a little of vapor trails with no catch or smooth flow. i don't know, lets give it a chance.

Agree with that exactly RL

Doesn't sound anything like Vapor Trails to me. The samples are low quality but I hear an album with alot of textures and instantly more interesting than Counterparts, Test for Echo,Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows.

Again, way too early to tell, this thing still may be the best album since the classic era. That being said, I've heard nothing so far in these *new* clips more interesting than the best material on Counterparts...IMO

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 3 2012, 06:39 AM)

That said, the title track sounds really cool.  The rest I'm not sure about - I still need to hear the whole damn thing to really know.  Not sure if I'm crazy about how Geddy's sounding vocally these days...

It's good to keep expectations reasonable, not inflated. Yeah, I'm not sure about Ged's vocals in some parts either......sounds like he's really straining.

A mix of positive and negative, but for me, more positive. And remember, many songs are quite lengthy, so hearing only 30 seconds or even one minute can be misleading in either direction.

Whole album.........PLEASE!!!!!

My expectations were really low to begin with, but the 30 second Walmart clips raised them a good bit, and now they're lowered again. So far after a 3rd listen through of the new songs, the most promising ones for me are Clockwork Angels, The Wreckers and The Garden.

Time will tell - maybe with improved sound and ACTUALLY HEARING THE ENTIRE SONGS I'll feel differently.

Here's what I think for what its worth:

1. Brilliant 30 seconds opening clips we already heard...

2. Brilliant 30 seconds later in each songs with deep lyrical meaning and awesome sounding songs. Very textural, great musicianship, great mix and clarity, some very progressive pieces here unlike anything Rush or any rock band has ever done before. Incredible really. Best effort I have heard from them in maybe two decades.

3. I wish I had a "BLOCK TRENKEN IN CA" button in this thread. Everything this guy writes is a bummer. TonyR too. A "BLOCK TONYR IN CA" button would be nice too.

I'm actually going outside today even though I'm fairly confident the album will leak at some point in the next 12 hours.

I have a computer to build for a client and I really need to get a hair cut.

It's a beautiful sunny/mild day today.. running errands and doing a little bit of fun/work will be a great distraction from the wild speculation.

Hopefully by dusk there will be a torrent or some Youtube links of full songs to absorb. Until then, carpe diem!

Boy am I glad I haven't listened to one clip yet !

Made that mistake with the last U2 album, heard some great 30 sec clips, read some great reviews from reviewers who got one listen to it, and.......meh.........

Waiting patiently for the real thing. Won't touch or read a leak review with a ten foot pole until I've listened to it first.

Pre-ordered the vinyl, will do it old school. Sit down, put on side one, read the lyrics, inspect the artwork, etc.

The only way to listen.

iTunes is the worst thing to happen to music, well, pretty much ever I think.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 3 2012, 08:52 AM)

1. Brilliant 30 seconds opening clips we already heard...

2. Brilliant 30 seconds later in each songs with deep lyrical meaning and awesome sounding songs. Very textural, great musicianship, great mix and clarity, some very progressive pieces here unlike anything Rush or any rock band has ever done before. Incredible really. Best effort I have heard from them in maybe two decades.

3. I wish I had a "BLOCK TRENKEN IN CA" button in this thread. Everything this guy writes is a bummer. TonyR too. A "BLOCK TONYR IN CA" button would be nice too.

The clips sound like shit to me. Just because they're my favorite band doesnt mean I have blinders on and everything they write sounds good to me.

I know a lot about vocal melodies, Ive been studying it for 20 years. The only thing in these clips with a strong melody is the chorus in Wreckers. Everything else is lazy and forgettable. He tries to write some nice melodies with Garden, except that it sounds like MFH.

If he just wrote everything in standard pentatonic scale I swear everything would sound better, but instead he's trying so hard to be different than it all sounds so forced and lame.

You go ahead and tell yourself this crap sounds good if you want, I dont care. I didnt attack anyone, I wasnt trolling. I shared my opinion on the clips just the same as you did. It's a 2 way street. But in your little fanboy dictatorship world only positive opinions can be expressed. LOL

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 09:03 AM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 3 2012, 08:52 AM)

1.  Brilliant 30 seconds opening clips we already heard...

2.  Brilliant 30 seconds later in each songs with deep lyrical meaning and awesome sounding songs.  Very textural, great musicianship, great mix and clarity, some very progressive pieces here unlike anything Rush or any rock band has ever done before.  Incredible really.  Best effort I have heard from them in maybe two decades.

3.  I wish I had a "BLOCK TRENKEN IN CA" button in this thread.  Everything this guy writes is a bummer.  TonyR too.  A "BLOCK TONYR IN CA"  button would be nice too.

The clips sound like shit to me. Just because they're my favorite band doesnt mean I have blinders on and everything they write sounds good to me.

I know a lot about vocal melodies, Ive been studying it for 20 years. The only thing in these clips with a strong melody is the chorus in Wreckers. Everything else is lazy and forgettable. He tries to write some nice melodies with Garden, except that it sounds like MFH.

If he just wrote everything in standard pentatonic scale I swear everything would sound better, but instead he's trying so hard to be different than it all sounds so forced and lame.

You go ahead and tell yourself this crap sounds good if you want, I dont care. I didnt attack anyone, I wasnt trolling. I shared my opinion on the clips just the same as you did. It's a 2 way street. But in your little fanboy dictatorship world only positive opinions can be expressed. LOL

Man, you're writing as if you've heard the whole album. I understand your disappointment and you can express it freely. Let's just wait before jumping to conclusions.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 3 2012, 06:59 AM)
the garden reminds me of the end of hemispheres/the sphere.

I doubt it will be as good as The Sphere, but anything's possible, and it does sound VERY cool lyrically. I love the acoustic guitar and strings. yes.gif wub.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Contrast that with BU2B2, which has really depressing sounding lyrics in both clips (a song we've probably heard 2/3rds of already). It definitely sounds like BU2B part 2, which is not a good thing IMHO. no.gif

Headlong Flight is sounding like one of the major highlights of the album - that song has been growing on me more and more lately.

I couldn't resist listening to those walmart clips. Super appetite wetter. I'm going to get off the ride here though. I don't want more clips. I don't want to have heard a full minute of each song, in two pieces. Don't blame anyone for taking the dip though.. it is tempting, but now is the time for me to just patiently wait for the cd.

Bozie Bozie Bop! Diddy Bop! confused13.gif biggrin.gif

trink38.gif 2.gif