New Sample clips, not the Walmart first 30 sec one

vaportrails2002

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 07:27 AM)
My god, and I the only one that thinks these clips are f***ing terrible sounding? Bad, I mean really bad. Somehow even worse than S&A.

The lyrics all feel really angular and shoehorned into every song because the vocal melodies are awkward as hell, almost like Geddy has never written a song in his life before. The music is not has heavy as I thought it would be. None of it is as heavy as BU2B and most of it has those old 60's/70s guitar chord progressions, nothing nearly as edgy as I thought it would be.

They definitely sound completely washed up to me in these clips. The only thing I liked was the chorus in Wreckers because amazingly it actually has some normal vocal melodies.

To answer your question, yes.

The chorus in The Wreckers is awesome. First thing that stood out to me.

The second time through is always the best time to listen to clips, and they sound pretty interesting to me. Ged's voice sounds like its getting old on a few clips, however.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got mixed feelings about those samples.

The first thing that struck me was how dramatically different Caravan sounds! Though we now know it wasn't re-recorded, the new mix could certainly have you fooled. Much better instrument separation I feel and the drums in particular seem to have a far more defined sound now.

The other tracks that immediately stood out to me were Clockwork Angels (reminds me quite a lot of Hyperspace section of Natural Science, anyone else think that?), the Wreckers for it's melodic chorus and The Garden which had me the most intrigued out of all of them. I have a feeling that song will be the dark horse of the album. We've only heard the understated beginning of the song so far, so as a song it hasn't had that much attention. But I suspect it could rise up to being the favourite of the album. Just my theory!

Of course there's no way I'm judging the album at this stage but some of the other samples did leave me slightly underwhelmed - Carnies and Halo Effect in particular. Somehow they just sound like anything that exciting. But who knows, maybe they will turn out to be great songs. I just CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on the album!!

2.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 06:27 AM)
My god, and I the only one that thinks these clips are f***ing terrible sounding? Bad, I mean really bad. Somehow even worse than S&A.

The lyrics all feel really angular and shoehorned into every song because the vocal melodies are awkward as hell, almost like Geddy has never written a song in his life before. The music is not has heavy as I thought it would be. None of it is as heavy as BU2B and most of it has those old 60's/70s guitar chord progressions, nothing nearly as edgy as I thought it would be.

They definitely sound completely washed up to me in these clips. The only thing I liked was the chorus in Wreckers because amazingly it actually has some normal vocal melodies.

you're not the only one. i'm still going to listen to the whole album with open ears though, but those clips are confusing to my ears. everything sounds all over the place but it is only a clip with lots of shoehorning.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 3 2012, 07:08 AM)

you're not the only one. i'm still going to listen to the whole album with open ears though, but those clips are confusing to my ears. everything sounds all over the place but it is only a clip with lots of shoehorning.

Oh yeah, of course me too. This is just impressions on a few listens of each clip, that's all. Like HF the vocal melodies sound really awkward to me outside of Wreckers. Musically its really not as edgy and nasty (in a good way) as I thought it would be.

But Ill still listen to the album 100+ times once I get it. Im not giving up yet but Im a little bit disheartened by what Im hearing so far.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 07:16 AM)

Oh yeah, of course me too. This is just impressions on a few listens of each clip, that's all. Like HF the vocal melodies sound really awkward to me outside of Wreckers. Musically its really not as edgy and nasty (in a good way) as I thought it would be.

But Ill still listen to the album 100+ times once I get it. Im not giving up yet but Im a little bit disheartened by what Im hearing so far.

i like headlong flight alot. these clips reminded me a little of vapor trails with no catch or smooth flow. i don't know, lets give it a chance.

The only songs that jumped out at me were the title track and the aforementioned melodic chorus of Wreckers. The rest seems to have that plodding S+A feel. Obviously not enough to give a true assessment, but these new clips are not encouraging.

I love all the speculation from these 30 second clips.

Bits and pieces of songs with no context except a title and yet people want to project themselves into the mix and make wild predictions one way or the other.

Relax peeps.. these are just snippits. Aside from the 3 full songs we already know there is no way to get a complete feel for any of the other songs.

The samples should be fun for those who choose to listen to them, not some way to grade the songs/album.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 3 2012, 07:21 AM)

i like headlong flight alot. these clips reminded me a little of vapor trails with no catch or smooth flow. i don't know, lets give it a chance.

Agree with that exactly RL

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 3 2012, 07:45 AM)
Hmm, judging by the replies I've read so far, I'm a little hesitant to listen to these new clips

same, I'm not gonna!

Wait for the real deal IMO

confused13.gif

---Don't worry and have no fear, it's Rush we're talking of here!---

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 3 2012, 08:39 AM)
I love all the speculation from these 30 second clips.
Bits and pieces of songs with no context except a title and yet people want to project themselves into the mix and make wild predictions one way or the other.

Relax peeps.. these are just snippits. Aside from the 3 full songs we already know there is no way to get a complete feel for any of the other songs.

The samples should be fun for those who choose to listen to them, not some way to grade the songs/album.

yes.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 3 2012, 11:50 PM)

Doesn't sound anything like Vapor Trails to me. The samples are low quality but I hear an album with alot of textures and instantly more interesting than Counterparts, Test for Echo,Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows.

Clockwork Angels reminds me so much of Natural Science! This will be a classic

Interesting vocals in that clip of Carnies! I really like it

I'm liking what I hear in The Wreckers

Wish Them Well sounds kinda repetitive, but it seems like almost the same clip from Walmart, so who knows

I really like the vocal melodies in The Garden

I'm glad I gave in and gave these a listen smile.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 3 2012, 08:11 AM)

Wish Them Well sounds kinda repetitive, but it seems like almost the same clip from Walmart, so who knows

So people's comments are a bit OTT then? ? ? common001.gif scared.gif eh.gif huh.gif

I still don't have the guts to give in lol

unsure.gif ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Xanaseb @ Jun 3 2012, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 3 2012, 08:11 AM)

So people's comments are a bit OTT then? ? ? common001.gif scared.gif eh.gif huh.gif

I still don't have the guts to give in lol

unsure.gif ph34r.gif

dude it's a music clip not skydiving.

My impressions from the clips is that the songs sound more coherent and purposeful compared to recent albums with a few of them having great melodies, probably the most melodic stuff we have from Rush in a long time. I was not too impressed by the clips of Halo Effect, Wish Them Well, but again, it's way too early with such limited info. Once we hear the songs flesh out with the solos and other parts, I think we will like them for the most part with some songs being weaker than others. But, who knows? I am sure quite a few Rush fans will not take to this album well based on some reactions to the clips so far.

My expectations are tempered, yet optimistic.

QUOTE (tas7 @ Jun 3 2012, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 3 2012, 11:50 PM)

Doesn't sound anything like Vapor Trails to me. The samples are low quality but I hear an album with alot of textures and instantly more interesting than Counterparts, Test for Echo,Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows.

Sometimes it's hard to appreciate a whole 6 minute song by just hearing 30 seconds of it.