New Sample clips, not the Walmart first 30 sec one

vaportrails2002

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Phantom @ Jun 3 2012, 02:40 AM)
Clockwork Angels has a real "Double Agent " vibe going on... I LOVE that groove.

They keep using that Double Agent thing, The Way the Wind Blows has it too...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 3 2012, 02:44 AM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ Jun 3 2012, 02:40 AM)
Clockwork Angels has a real "Double Agent " vibe going on... I LOVE that groove.

They keep using that Double Agent thing, The Way the Wind Blows has it too...

Very VERY true.... thankfully, it's a groove I love.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 3 2012, 02:48 AM)
Like I said, SnA on speed. And not in a good way.

Oh you. beathorse.gif Begone Tony. Let the young'uns enjoy this moment. trink36.gif

Edited by D3strukt

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Jun 3 2012, 03:16 AM)
Can't wait until people bitch about the waveforms.

There will be no need. The album is mixed very well, even from these samples, it sounds SONICALLY VERY GOOD.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Jun 3 2012, 09:16 AM)
Can't wait until people bitch about the waveforms.

This makes no sense at all.

Imagine going into a restaurant and ordering your favourite dish only to have the chef prepare it carefully and beautifully with the finest ingredients then chuck it into a blender and serve it to you in one big homogenous mush. You'd send it back unless you had no teeth. If you accept the way the last few Rush albums have been served up then you must have neither good taste nor good ears...

well the walmart intros got me stoked but.....

these all sound the same to me no distinctiveness to Alex's sound

oh heck i'm waiting for the full versions

Despite the two samples of it being almost identical, I really like Wish Them Well (or at least, what we've got so far). If the reviews are to be believed, and it's more of a straight-forward rock song, it'll make a nice change to the apparently very different ambience of the rest of the record. 1022.gif 1022.gif

Geddy's voice is grating on these samples, but that's because their bitrate is low (they sound far worse than the singles we've gotten so far). However, I agree with the comment about Alex lacking distinction, which may partly explain the My Favorite Headache vibe.

Based on what I've heard so far:

1. Caravan - strong
  2. BU2B - masterpiece
  3. Clockwork Angels - expected to be masterpiece
  4. The Anarchist - expected to be awesome
  5. Carnies - promising
  6. Halo Effect - promising/meh
  7. Seven Cities of Gold - promising/meh
  8. The Wreckers - meh
  9. Headlong Flight - masterpiece
  10. BU2B - promising
  11. Wish Them Well - meh
  12. The Garden - meh
On the downside, I'm no longer optimistic this will be their first consistant album since Power Windows. On the upside, it's premature to judge and there's a lot to be stoked for. At the very least, I expect a few masterpieces, a few strong songs, and a few worthwhile songs (and I'm sure some of them will grow on me, especially when I'm not listening to crappy streaming).

A few observations:

"Clockwork Angels" - the Wal-Mart clip was mostly ambient noise; this IBS clip has more of the actual song, which sounds like "Double Agent."

"The Wreckers" - anyone who was worried there would be no good vocal melodies on the album, check out this one.

"Seven Cities of Gold" - I preferred the funk-tastic bass groove of the Wal-Mart clip over the vocal-heavy part of the song in this IBS clip.

Balancing the Wal-Mart clips with these clips, I'll pick my favorite songs as being "The Anarchist" and "The Wreckers," although the bass is so fantastic in parts of "Seven Cities of Gold" that it should get a mention.

Edited by GeddyRulz

My god, and I the only one that thinks these clips are f***ing terrible sounding? Bad, I mean really bad. Somehow even worse than S&A.

The lyrics all feel really angular and shoehorned into every song because the vocal melodies are awkward as hell, almost like Geddy has never written a song in his life before. The music is not has heavy as I thought it would be. None of it is as heavy as BU2B and most of it has those old 60's/70s guitar chord progressions, nothing nearly as edgy as I thought it would be.

They definitely sound completely washed up to me in these clips. The only thing I liked was the chorus in Wreckers because amazingly it actually has some normal vocal melodies.