New Sample clips, not the Walmart first 30 sec one

vaportrails2002

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 3 2012, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 3 2012, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 3 2012, 10:03 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 3 2012, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 3 2012, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 3 2012, 07:44 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 3 2012, 10:29 AM)
Reading this thread makes something I posted in a different thread that much more relevant...

There is a big difference between being a Rush fan and being allowed to dislike some of their albums and some of their songs, and those individuals that seem to thrive on the negative. Anyone that says everything Rush has put out is awesome is a blind fanboi or just lying themselves.

The problem I have sometimes are those certain people that choose to always EMPHASIZE the negative, or gravitate to subjects about something wrong with Rush or one of the songs on a particular album. Within this forum, there are definitely certain posters that when I see them post something it's a safe bet that more often than not it will touch on something they don't like about Rush, or a song off Snakes and Arrows, or what's wrong with Headlong Flight instead of everything that's right about

I think we all know these people in real life. Those types of people that seem to relish the negative or gravitate to it and don't seem happy unless something is wrong.

A lot of threads and posts on forums like this get a lot more attention when they're negative so we see a certain group that will always seem to gravitate to those subjects,

As I said, these types of people exist everywhere in real life and fan message boards are a perfect spot for those type of people to be able to relish in the negativity.

Lame excuse. If people dont like something, they will say it. Ive talked about the things I loved about Rush many times. Those things are gone now so what should I do, just play along to make you happy and say everything sounds great to me? It doesnt.

Sounds to me like you're trying to justify why people dont like the same things you do and just brushing them off as just being negative people. Im not a negative person at all and everyone that knows me knows Im a very happy person, always joking around always trying to make sure everyone around me has a great time.

You're mixing entirely different things up. Im here just commenting about a band Ive loved since I was 8, learned every single song up until T4E on bass, spent my whole life singing their songs, and now they just put out music I think sucks. That's all it is. Stop trying to read too deep into it.

I find it interesting that you like to post frequently on a forum about a band that you think now sucks. If I followed a band for a while,but then started to dislike their music a lot, I would stop visiting and stop posting in their forums. Hey, but that is just me.

Thing is, a band isn't just their new material. You don't stop being a fan just because you dislike some material. And forums based on artists are for fans to talk about their entire career or a place to talk to fans about other things as well.

wow, thank you.......hard to believe some can't understand this... wacko.gif

Oh I understand that some would do things different than me....what is there to not understand? I woukd go to a sub forum that talks about their old stuff if the new stuff disappointed me so much.

who said we are disappointed in the new (CA) stuff? We haven't heard it yet.....

He said, "And now they just put out music I think sucks".

yes, but he is just giving his opinion on the clips....perhaps he will like the album?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 3 2012, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 3 2012, 10:39 AM)
I gotta say, I was more hopeful with the wal mart 30 second clips. At least those left something to the imagination. These new clips, there wasnt anything overly good about them. Very obscure writing, which...can't blame Rush for, that's what theyre best at, but nothing that grabbed me at all. If I had to describe it, with my current interest of the material so far, I'd say it sounds like material that got scrapped from Vapor Trails. Which isn't saying much because Vapor Trails is probably one of my least liked albums. I don't know though. I mean Caravan, BU2B...sound incredible with the new mix. HLF is a great song. But the 30 second clips of the rest sound really bland. That's just me though. Hopefully they end up growing on me like S&A did.

See I actually disagree with them being best at obscure writing. I think they're actually pretty horrible at it now when they try so hard to be different, and only nailed it a handful of times with stuff like Cygnus X-1 and others. I would put Time and Motion in that group of songs where it did work, but now it sounds so forced to me.

I think their wheelhouse was songs with normal chord progressions, melodic vocal melodies, pretty normal song structures, no awkward time changes, pretty much where they peaked from PeW-PoW. That was when I felt they were at their natural best. But now they're at the total opposite end of what I thought they were so amazing at. I just dont get what they're trying to do anymore and this really feels like the end of the road to me with them.

Its almost like now they're trying to hard to be different and recapture the past, so they're putting together these really strange chord progressions and noticeable time changes, then trying to shoehorn strange vocal melodies on top of it. Then the rest just sounds like normal filler stuff or throwaways that didnt make the S&A cut. So bazaar to me.

Oh I completely agree. When I mentioned them being great at obscure writing, I was also referring to the early days more so than recent. My favorite era of Rush material settle on mid to late 80's (pretty close with your love of PeW to PoW) and for the same reasons. I love the melodic vocals and keys with the accent of his guitar work just making it all that much better. Having said that, I also love some of the more technical songs, being that I'm a musician and all, and love an excellent showcase of talent. But you're right, they were better at it in the early days. Now it does just sound forced. Like the riff in Carnies? It's okay I GUESS, but it just seems like he tried too hard and came up with something mediocre. But whatever, I'm not gonna sit here and cut up and album before it comes out. All I have thus far are 30 second clips, which arent worthy of giving a serious judgement.

In any event, it does appear that rush has reached the end of the road, and the bottle of "rocket sauce" (i think?) as Jack Black put it, is definitely getting close to empty. For Rush to spend several years on this record, for it to sound (so far) mediocre at best, and maybe only average when I hear the whole thing, that's not a very good sign. I'd have to say this will probably be their last studio record. Unfortunate but most likely true. I hope that when reading this, people take it in stride. I'm a huge fan of Rush, but I don't always agree and love everything they put out. Having said that, I intend to give the album a serious listening marathon for weeks before I actually give it a proper judgement.

Doesnt sound like they actually spent very long on it. They wrote some songs before the Time Machine tour, and then banged out the rest after that ended and recorded it.

It really doesnt sound to me like a put a monumental amount of effort into crafting some of the finest songs of their career. Im hearing really strange chord progressions. Some sound like they just dont flow, others sound really dated to me like the chorus in HF. What happened to just taking chord progressions that many have used before because they work, and making it their own like they used to do? Maybe add some strange sounds in there to mix it up, some off key notes or something is fine too, but totally awkward chords progressions in general? They sound like they want to be different so bad that they're now just doing crap that doesnt even work at all. Thats how I feel about it hearing the 3 new songs and 60 seconds of each song.

I just think musically and melodically they are so far away from what they were literally the best around at. 1980-85 were really amazing years for them and was really when I thought they were at their absolute peak as far as just really solid song writing. They had perfected it. They drained that well dry and that was just it. They put out some good stuff after that, but never as good and now its just in the toilet.

I hope I get the whole album and find some stuff to like on it, and I probably will, but at this point I seriously doubt Ill love it.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 3 2012, 11:28 AM)
Reading this thread makes something I posted in a different thread that much more relevant...

There is a big difference between being a Rush fan and being allowed to dislike some of their albums and some of their songs, and those individuals that seem to thrive on the negative. Anyone that says everything Rush has put out is awesome is a blind fanboi or just lying themselves.

The problem I have sometimes are those certain people that choose to always EMPHASIZE the negative, or gravitate to subjects about something wrong with Rush or one of the songs on a particular album. Within this forum, there are definitely certain posters that when I see them post something it's a safe bet that more often than not it will touch on something they don't like about Rush, or a song off Snakes and Arrows, or what's wrong with Headlong Flight instead of everything that's right about

I think we all know these people in real life. Those types of people that seem to relish the negative or gravitate to it and don't seem happy unless something is wrong.

A lot of threads and posts on forums like this get a lot more attention when they're negative so we see a certain group that will always seem to gravitate to those subjects,

As I said, these types of people exist everywhere in real life and fan message boards are a perfect spot for those type of people to be able to relish in the negativity.

Lame excuse. If people dont like something, they will say it. Ive talked about the things I loved about Rush many times. Those things are gone now so what should I do, just play along to make you happy and say everything sounds great to me? It doesnt.

Sounds to me like you're trying to justify why people dont like the same things you do and just brushing them off as just being negative people. Im not a negative person at all and everyone that knows me knows Im a very happy person, always joking around always trying to make sure everyone around me has a great time.

You're mixing entirely different things up. Im here just commenting about a band Ive loved since I was 8, learned every single song up until T4E on bass, spent my whole life singing their songs, and now they just put out music I think sucks. That's all it is. Stop trying to read too deep into it.

I find it interesting that you like to post frequently on a forum about a band that you think now sucks. If I followed a band for a while,but then started to dislike their music a lot, I would stop visiting and stop posting in their forums. Hey, but that is just me.

Thing is, a band isn't just their new material. You don't stop being a fan just because you dislike some material. And forums based on artists are for fans to talk about their entire career or a place to talk to fans about other things as well.

Oh I understand that some would do things different than me....what is there to not understand? I woukd go to a sub forum that talks about their old stuff if the new stuff disappointed me so much.

who said we are disappointed in the new (CA) stuff? We haven't heard it yet.....

yes, but he is just giving his opinion on the clips....perhaps he will like the album?

Ive said this many times. People just understand at all. Im judging what Im hearing in the clips. Talking about the direction we can hear theyve gone in. That's all.

Trust me if I get this album and I find 4 good songs on it I like, thats enough for me. Im not saying the album sucks, I dont know that yet, but just commenting on the 60 seconds Ive heard from each song. Sheesh

That statement sounds more like drawing a broad conclusion than just commenting on the clips. In any case, no point going further with this. Everyone is free to express what they feel....I was just expressing curiosity.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 11:35 AM)

Ive said this many times. People just understand at all. Im judging what Im hearing in the clips. Talking about the direction we can hear theyve gone in. That's all.

Trust me if I get this album and I find 4 good songs on it I like, thats enough for me. Im not saying the album sucks, I dont know that yet, but just commenting on the 60 seconds Ive heard from each song. Sheesh

Good luck with the album. Hope you like it. smile.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 12:34 PM)
I gotta say, I was more hopeful with the wal mart 30 second clips. At least those left something to the imagination. These new clips, there wasnt anything overly good about them. Very obscure writing, which...can't blame Rush for, that's what theyre best at, but nothing that grabbed me at all. If I had to describe it, with my current interest of the material so far, I'd say it sounds like material that got scrapped from Vapor Trails. Which isn't saying much because Vapor Trails is probably one of my least liked albums. I don't know though. I mean Caravan, BU2B...sound incredible with the new mix. HLF is a great song. But the 30 second clips of the rest sound really bland. That's just me though. Hopefully they end up growing on me like S&A did.

See I actually disagree with them being best at obscure writing. I think they're actually pretty horrible at it now when they try so hard to be different, and only nailed it a handful of times with stuff like Cygnus X-1 and others. I would put Time and Motion in that group of songs where it did work, but now it sounds so forced to me.

I think their wheelhouse was songs with normal chord progressions, melodic vocal melodies, pretty normal song structures, no awkward time changes, pretty much where they peaked from PeW-PoW. That was when I felt they were at their natural best. But now they're at the total opposite end of what I thought they were so amazing at. I just dont get what they're trying to do anymore and this really feels like the end of the road to me with them.

Its almost like now they're trying to hard to be different and recapture the past, so they're putting together these really strange chord progressions and noticeable time changes, then trying to shoehorn strange vocal melodies on top of it. Then the rest just sounds like normal filler stuff or throwaways that didnt make the S&A cut. So bazaar to me.

Oh I completely agree. When I mentioned them being great at obscure writing, I was also referring to the early days more so than recent. My favorite era of Rush material settle on mid to late 80's (pretty close with your love of PeW to PoW) and for the same reasons. I love the melodic vocals and keys with the accent of his guitar work just making it all that much better. Having said that, I also love some of the more technical songs, being that I'm a musician and all, and love an excellent showcase of talent. But you're right, they were better at it in the early days. Now it does just sound forced. Like the riff in Carnies? It's okay I GUESS, but it just seems like he tried too hard and came up with something mediocre. But whatever, I'm not gonna sit here and cut up and album before it comes out. All I have thus far are 30 second clips, which arent worthy of giving a serious judgement.

In any event, it does appear that rush has reached the end of the road, and the bottle of "rocket sauce" (i think?) as Jack Black put it, is definitely getting close to empty. For Rush to spend several years on this record, for it to sound (so far) mediocre at best, and maybe only average when I hear the whole thing, that's not a very good sign. I'd have to say this will probably be their last studio record. Unfortunate but most likely true. I hope that when reading this, people take it in stride. I'm a huge fan of Rush, but I don't always agree and love everything they put out. Having said that, I intend to give the album a serious listening marathon for weeks before I actually give it a proper judgement.

Doesnt sound like they actually spent very long on it. They wrote some songs before the Time Machine tour, and then banged out the rest after that ended and recorded it.

It really doesnt sound to me like a put a monumental amount of effort into crafting some of the finest songs of their career. Im hearing really strange chord progressions. Some sound like they just dont flow, others sound really dated to me like the chorus in HF. What happened to just taking chord progressions that many have used before because they work, and making it their own like they used to do? Maybe add some strange sounds in there to mix it up, some off key notes or something is fine too, but totally awkward chords progressions in general? They sound like they want to be different so bad that they're now just doing crap that doesnt even work at all. Thats how I feel about it hearing the 3 new songs and 60 seconds of each song.

I just think musically and melodically they are so far away from what they were literally the best around at. 1980-85 were really amazing years for them and was really when I thought they were at their absolute peak as far as just really solid song writing. They had perfected it. They drained that well dry and that was just it. They put out some good stuff after that, but never as good and now its just in the toilet.

I hope I get the whole album and find some stuff to like on it, and I probably will, but at this point I seriously doubt Ill love it.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif +1

Most of them sound like VT meets S&A. Same guitar melodies and structure it seems like.

7 Cities of Gold is one misleading intro. Very spaced out and angry sounding and then the vocals kick-in its all upbeat and happy.

But Geddy takes a little different vocal approach on the title cut compared to the others. He sounds agitated and a little angry. This one and the Anarchist.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 11:34 AM)

I too did not like some of the chord progressions in the clips....but Im going to wait before I judge fully.

Again, I would just say that if you're looking for the band from the late 70s and early 80's, they're long gone. But if you're looking for a modern sounding Rush album that much much stronger than the last couple and sounds like it could be written by the same guys who wrote those songs 30 years ago, this is it. These songs are much more cohesive, creative and confident than the stuff from VT and S&A. I'd also say that like most Rush songs, these DEFINITELY require a bunch of listens before forming an opinion. Really, The Garden & The Wreckers are the only ones that grabbed me instantly - and that's because they're clearly very melodic. With some time and distance, if people end up lumping this album together with the last couple I'd be really really surprised.

I've been following this album's developments for a long time and all I can say is that I expect this album to be top ten for me...best since GUP.

People are getting too freaked out by these clips and taking it all too seriously. I am a Rush lover and I am just glad that they are still releasing material that could contend with their 80's stuff almost 30 years later

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 3 2012, 12:48 PM)
I've been following this album's developments for a long time and all I can say is that I expect this album to be top ten for me...best since GUP.

People are getting too freaked out by these clips and taking it all too seriously. I am a Rush lover and I am just glad that they are still releasing material that could contend with their 80's stuff almost 30 years later

Top 10 rush or top 10 all time?? Top 10 rush denotes mediocrity on this forum..

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ Jun 3 2012, 12:43 PM)
Again, I would just say that if you're looking for the band from the late 70s and early 80's, they're long gone. But if you're looking for a modern sounding Rush album that much much stronger than the last couple and sounds like it could be written by the same guys who wrote those songs 30 years ago, this is it. These songs are much more cohesive, creative and confident than the stuff from VT and S&A. I'd also say that like most Rush songs, these DEFINITELY require a bunch of listens before forming an opinion. Really, The Garden & The Wreckers are the only ones that grabbed me instantly - and that's because they're clearly very melodic. With some time and distance, if people end up lumping this album together with the last couple I'd be really really surprised.

I trust your opinion. Hopefully, mine will match!

Didn't listen very closely, but it feels like my reaction to this will be much like it was to HF. Solid Rush that is really good, but not their best. The vocal melodies in HF and BU2B are what keep them from being breakout songs to me. I really like the melody in Caravan, though.

At any rate, sounds like Rish to me and I like Rush, so I'm happy.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 3 2012, 08:04 AM)
I will agree with the majority that Clockwork Angels is really sounding interesting and awfully proggy, which is a great thing

I haven't heard anything to denote anything close to prog rock. Maybe the Walmart clips, as they had a lot of atmosphere, but these clips, while often interesting and intriguing, don't remind of prog rock at all. I can see progressive in the generic definition of making progress, but in terms of reflecting the tenants of progressive rock, no.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 3 2012, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 3 2012, 08:04 AM)
I will agree with the majority that Clockwork Angels is really sounding interesting and awfully proggy, which is a great thing

I haven't heard anything to denote anything close to prog rock. Maybe the Walmart clips, as they had a lot of atmosphere, but these clips, while often interesting and intriguing, don't remind of prog rock at all. I can see progressive in the generic definition of making progress, but in terms of reflecting the tenants of progressive rock, no.

This is the new 65 year old Rushgoober... same as the 64 year old Goober...?

tongue.gif

I love it when people get personally offended by negative opinions of a few clips. If you like the clips, then great! Why would someone else's negative opinion change yours or make you feel shitty about your own feelings?

In other news, I can't get these clips to play for some reason. comp26.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 3 2012, 01:37 PM)
I love it when people get personally offended by negative opinions of a few clips. If you like the clips, then great! Why would someone else's negative opinion change yours or make you feel shitty about your own feelings?

In other news, I can't get these clips to play for some reason. comp26.gif

Click the song title and then press play on the song title page that comes up...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 3 2012, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 3 2012, 01:37 PM)

In other news, I can't get these clips to play for some reason.  comp26.gif

Click the song title and then press play on the song title page that comes up...

trink38.gif

Thanks! Got it working now. Maybe computer science isn't the right career choice for me after all.... wacko.gif tongue.gif

Damn.

I am seriously pretty depressed. I have spent MANY hours of the last year on this site, RIAB, etc....thinking about, talking about, and reading about Clockwork Angels. I read all of the positive reviews, ordered the fan pack, bought tickets for the next concert, got excited about the Walmart clips, and couldn't wait to get my hands on the new album and enjoy what seemed destined to be a classic....

and now THIS.

I sincerely hope that likeclockwork is correct, and that these new clips are not representative of the album as a whole.

banghead.gif