New Sample clips, not the Walmart first 30 sec one

vaportrails2002

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 3 2012, 07:29 AM)
Reading this thread makes something I posted in a different thread that much more relevant...

There is a big difference between being a Rush fan and being allowed to dislike some of their albums and some of their songs, and those individuals that seem to thrive on the negative. Anyone that says everything Rush has put out is awesome is a blind fanboi or just lying themselves.

The problem I have sometimes are those certain people that choose to always EMPHASIZE the negative, or gravitate to subjects about something wrong with Rush or one of the songs on a particular album. Within this forum, there are definitely certain posters that when I see them post something it's a safe bet that more often than not it will touch on something they don't like about Rush, or a song off Snakes and Arrows, or what's wrong with Headlong Flight instead of everything that's right about it.

I think we all know these people in real life. Those types of people that seem to relish the negative or gravitate to it and don't seem happy unless something is wrong.

A lot of threads and posts on forums like this get a lot more attention when they're negative so we see a certain group that will always seem to gravitate to those subjects, and they seem to be emphasized more.

As I said, these types of people exist everywhere in real life and fan message boards are a perfect spot for those type of people to be able to relish in the negativity.

Sure, but what if they subjectively just don't like what they hear, and aren't out to get you or have some evil plan to always be negative?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say, I was more hopeful with the wal mart 30 second clips. At least those left something to the imagination. These new clips, there wasnt anything overly good about them. Very obscure writing, which...can't blame Rush for, that's what theyre best at, but nothing that grabbed me at all. If I had to describe it, with my current interest of the material so far, I'd say it sounds like material that got scrapped from Vapor Trails. Which isn't saying much because Vapor Trails is probably one of my least liked albums. I don't know though. I mean Caravan, BU2B...sound incredible with the new mix. HLF is a great song. But the 30 second clips of the rest sound really bland. That's just me though. Hopefully they end up growing on me like S&A did.

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 3 2012, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 3 2012, 07:29 AM)
Reading this thread makes something I posted in a different thread that much more relevant...

There is a big difference between being a Rush fan and being allowed to dislike some of their albums and some of their songs, and those individuals that seem to thrive on the negative. Anyone that says everything Rush has put out is awesome is a blind fanboi or just lying themselves.

The problem I have sometimes are those certain people that choose to always EMPHASIZE the negative, or gravitate to subjects about something wrong with Rush or one of the songs on a particular album. Within this forum, there are definitely certain posters that when I see them post something it's a safe bet that more often than not it will touch on something they don't like about Rush, or a song off Snakes and Arrows, or what's wrong with Headlong Flight instead of everything that's right about it.

I think we all know these people in real life. Those types of people that seem to relish the negative or gravitate to it and don't seem happy unless something is wrong.

A lot of threads and posts on forums like this get a lot more attention when they're negative so we see a certain group that will always seem to gravitate to those subjects, and they seem to be emphasized more.

As I said, these types of people exist everywhere in real life and fan message boards are a perfect spot for those type of people to be able to relish in the negativity.

Sure, but what if they subjectively just don't like what they hear, and aren't out to get you or have some evil plan to always be negative?

Dont think he considered that. That's why I said what I just said. Im not negative at all. I simply think the clips sound like crap. End of story. Im not looking for attention or trying to convince anyone to see things my way, Im just sharing an opinion no different than anyone else that likes them. And I never get on their ass for liking them even though I completely disagree. Rush has a lot of really immature fans. I guess every band does but its actually surprising with Rush.

I like how "The Garden" is shaping up. However, it reminds me of what Psychedelic Furs did with the song "World Outside" with the stringed instruments to give it that outside, insect vibe.

Holy crap....

It's amazing how the board feels about CA now.

What?! I feel totally amazed, these clips are fantastic. I'm so glad we got more than just the mysterious intros! I was surprised that you all said "Clockwork Angels" sounds bad ass when it was only 30 seconds of Geddy yodeling or whatever in a middle eastern way.

These show that the music is intense. Sounds SnA'ish to me.. which is AWESOME.

It's almost like you all have heard 30-second samples and decided that's the direction the album is going. I guess I could take a bit of my own advice and realize it still might not be as good as i'm expecting..

The Wreckers: Sounds magnificent. Sounds really solid musically.

Halo Effect: Sounds beautiful, yet seems like it might pick up a bit..

Wish Them Well: I loved the start, and the musical part after "All that you can dOOO is wish them welllll!" Sounds like it gets quite a bit more diverse even after that..

Of course I can go on! this album sounds like it may be incredible.

Geddy's singing: Just changing.. let's not forget how the band has changed.

Neil's lyrics: It's a concept album, they'll be full of metaphors, and they're supposed to be telling more of a story than just normal.

9/10 easy. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 3 2012, 07:52 AM)
Here's what I think for what its worth:

1. Brilliant 30 seconds opening clips we already heard...

2. Brilliant 30 seconds later in each songs with deep lyrical meaning and awesome sounding songs. Very textural, great musicianship, great mix and clarity, some very progressive pieces here unlike anything Rush or any rock band has ever done before. Incredible really. Best effort I have heard from them in maybe two decades.

haha...ok then...

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 3 2012, 10:29 AM)

Lame excuse. If people dont like something, they will say it. Ive talked about the things I loved about Rush many times. Those things are gone now so what should I do, just play along to make you happy and say everything sounds great to me? It doesnt.

Sounds to me like you're trying to justify why people dont like the same things you do and just brushing them off as just being negative people. Im not a negative person at all and everyone that knows me knows Im a very happy person, always joking around always trying to make sure everyone around me has a great time.

You're mixing entirely different things up. Im here just commenting about a band Ive loved since I was 8, learned every single song up until T4E on bass, spent my whole life singing their songs, and now they just put out music I think sucks. That's all it is. Stop trying to read too deep into it.

I find it interesting that you like to post frequently on a forum about a band that you think now sucks. If I followed a band for a while, but then started to dislike their music a lot, I would stop visiting and stop posting in their forums. Hey, but that is just me.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 3 2012, 11:07 AM)
To the one that said the Clockwork Angels riff sounds just like the Grand Finale of 2112 you get a cookie. They really sound alike

As far as Double Agent goes, I always thought Caravan's riff sounded more like DA.

Regardless, DA and Grand Finale offer 2 of my favorite Lifeson riffs of all time so I'm loving it

Yeah Clockwork Angels definitely sounds more like Double Agent than Caravan or Grand Finale. Grand Finale doesnt sound like that at all...I don't know where you guys are hearing that...=s I'm a guitar play so it makes no sense to me lol. But it's all good.

I think CWA has some potential after listening to the clip again.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 3 2012, 10:39 AM)
I gotta say, I was more hopeful with the wal mart 30 second clips. At least those left something to the imagination. These new clips, there wasnt anything overly good about them. Very obscure writing, which...can't blame Rush for, that's what theyre best at, but nothing that grabbed me at all. If I had to describe it, with my current interest of the material so far, I'd say it sounds like material that got scrapped from Vapor Trails. Which isn't saying much because Vapor Trails is probably one of my least liked albums. I don't know though. I mean Caravan, BU2B...sound incredible with the new mix. HLF is a great song. But the 30 second clips of the rest sound really bland. That's just me though. Hopefully they end up growing on me like S&A did.

See I actually disagree with them being best at obscure writing. I think they're actually pretty horrible at it now when they try so hard to be different, and only nailed it a handful of times with stuff like Cygnus X-1 and others. I would put Time and Motion in that group of songs where it did work, but now it sounds so forced to me.

I think their wheelhouse was songs with normal chord progressions, melodic vocal melodies, pretty normal song structures, no awkward time changes, pretty much where they peaked from PeW-PoW. That was when I felt they were at their natural best. But now they're at the total opposite end of what I thought they were so amazing at. I just dont get what they're trying to do anymore and this really feels like the end of the road to me with them.

Its almost like now they're trying to hard to be different and recapture the past, so they're putting together these really strange chord progressions and noticeable time changes, then trying to shoehorn strange vocal melodies on top of it. Then the rest just sounds like normal filler stuff or throwaways that didnt make the S&A cut. So bazaar to me.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 3 2012, 10:07 AM)
To the one that said the Clockwork Angels riff sounds just like the Grand Finale of 2112 you get a cookie. They really sound alike

As far as Double Agent goes, I always thought Caravan's riff sounded more like DA.

Regardless, DA and Grand Finale offer 2 of my favorite Lifeson riffs of all time so I'm loving it

thanks but i'd rather have a beer.

As someone who didn't love Vapor Trails or Snakes & Arrows I'd just say that it's absurd to judge a song from a 30 second clip with no real context. Clockwork Angels, for example, has a riff shortly after the first clip and well before the second clip that sounds like it's right out of the mid to late 70s and unlike anything we've heard from them in years (in a good way). Shortly thereafter is an incredibly melodic portion - and there are several others in the song as well. The Garden is a song that keeps building with a stronger chorus - I think Alex alluded to this in one of his interviews. You can't hear that on these clips. When all is said and done I'd be extremely surprised if anyone rated Vapor Trails or Snakes & Arrows anywhere close to this album.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 3 2012, 07:44 AM)

Lame excuse. If people dont like something, they will say it. Ive talked about the things I loved about Rush many times. Those things are gone now so what should I do, just play along to make you happy and say everything sounds great to me? It doesnt.

Sounds to me like you're trying to justify why people dont like the same things you do and just brushing them off as just being negative people. Im not a negative person at all and everyone that knows me knows Im a very happy person, always joking around always trying to make sure everyone around me has a great time.

You're mixing entirely different things up. Im here just commenting about a band Ive loved since I was 8, learned every single song up until T4E on bass, spent my whole life singing their songs, and now they just put out music I think sucks. That's all it is. Stop trying to read too deep into it.

I find it interesting that you like to post frequently on a forum about a band that you think now sucks. If I followed a band for a while, but then started to dislike their music a lot, I would stop visiting and stop posting in their forums. Hey, but that is just me.

Thing is, a band isn't just their new material. You don't stop being a fan just because you dislike some material. And forums based on artists are for fans to talk about their entire career or a place to talk to fans about other things as well.

On first listen, some of these sound very mid-tempo-y, Snakes and Arrows sort of things ... Not a lot of variation in the clips.

However, on second listen, I found them very promising. Impossible to say more without hearing them all, but right now I get a sort of MFH, S&A, even a little VT ... blended together, which makes sense, those are the bands most recent releases. They are building off of what they have done most recently.

That's what they do. smile.gif

So yea, still have a good feeling about the album overall.

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 3 2012, 09:48 AM)

Thing is, a band isn't just their new material. You don't stop being a fan just because you dislike some material. And forums based on artists are for fans to talk about their entire career or a place to talk to fans about other things as well.

wow, thank you.......hard to believe some can't understand this... wacko.gif

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ Jun 3 2012, 10:47 AM)
As someone who didn't love Vapor Trails or Snakes & Arrows I'd just say that it's absurd to judge a song from a 30 second clip with no real context. Clockwork Angels, for example, has a riff shortly after the first clip and well before the second clip that sounds like it's right out of the mid to late 70s and unlike anything we've heard from them in years (in a good way). Shortly thereafter is an incredibly melodic portion - and there are several others in the song as well. The Garden is a song that keeps building with a stronger chorus - I think Alex alluded to this in one of his interviews. You can't hear that on these clips. When all is said and done I'd be extremely surprised if anyone rated Vapor Trails or Snakes & Arrows anywhere close to this album.

Finally....I was hoping you would chip in!

I think Rush lost their magic when they stopped writing songs together.

Everything sounds forced now.

Plus...somewhere along the line, someone convinced them that this big wall of sound and the Geddy chorus sounded good.

I'm still a fan and will hold off judgement until I hear the whole album; but I must honestly say I'm a little disappointed in the latest 30 second clips.

To me, this is just VT and S&A all over again.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 3 2012, 10:49 AM)

The problem I have sometimes are those certain people that choose to always EMPHASIZE the negative, or gravitate to subjects about something wrong with Rush or one of the songs on a particular album. Within this forum, there are definitely certain posters that when I see them post something it's a safe bet that more often than not it will touch on something they don't like about Rush, or a song off Snakes and Arrows, or what's wrong with Headlong Flight instead of everything that's right about

A lot of threads and posts on forums like this get a lot more attention when they're negative so we see a certain group that will always seem to gravitate to those subjects,

I find it interesting that you like to post frequently on a forum about a band that you think now sucks. If I followed a band for a while,but then started to dislike their music a lot, I would stop visiting and stop posting in their forums. Hey, but that is just me.

Oh I understand that some would do things different than me....what is there to not understand? I woukd go to a sub forum that talks about their old stuff if the new stuff disappointed me so much.

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ Jun 3 2012, 07:47 AM)

Totally agree with this. But, I doubt anyone is making any full judgments. It's more so: I'm trying to pass the time, so I'm going to talk about how I feel about 30 second samplers.

I would be kind of worried if someone was actually making a full judgment on the album based on 30 second out of context samples.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 3 2012, 10:03 AM)

The problem I have sometimes are those certain people that choose to always EMPHASIZE the negative, or gravitate to subjects about something wrong with Rush or one of the songs on a particular album. Within this forum, there are definitely certain posters that when I see them post something it's a safe bet that more often than not it will touch on something they don't like about Rush, or a song off Snakes and Arrows, or what's wrong with Headlong Flight instead of everything that's right about

A lot of threads and posts on forums like this get a lot more attention when they're negative so we see a certain group that will always seem to gravitate to those subjects,

I find it interesting that you like to post frequently on a forum about a band that you think now sucks. If I followed a band for a while,but then started to dislike their music a lot, I would stop visiting and stop posting in their forums. Hey, but that is just me.

Oh I understand that some would do things different than me....what is there to not understand? I woukd go to a sub forum that talks about their old stuff if the new stuff disappointed me so much.

who said we are disappointed in the new (CA) stuff? We haven't heard it yet.....

Okay, I caved. (That was fast lol!)

As I expected, I was a little jarred at first... but a few listens later I'm feeling ok with it.

A few random thoughts:

1) Caravan and BU2B seem to have benefited from a new mix, especially BU2B. Better separation, etc. I was worried how well they would mesh with the newer material, but it seems to flow right.

2) The title track will smoke.

3) I love what appears to be the chorus of Carnies, that kind of sinister/mysterious vibe. Geddy sounds strained at the end of the clip, but whatev'. That dead horse has been beaten.

4) Not digging this clip of Seven Cities of Gold. Reserving judgment on the song as a whole, because the Walmart clip sounded awesome.

5) I hear a cool old-school analog synthesizer filter sweep/drone on BU2B2, which I love. I haven't heard that on new Rush material in... decades.

6) Wish Them Well still sticks in my head. Sorry Wish-haters.

7) No Geddy choirs going "ohhh ohhhhhh.... wooooooooahhh" filling up all available sonic space. Thank you.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 3 2012, 10:39 AM)

See I actually disagree with them being best at obscure writing. I think they're actually pretty horrible at it now when they try so hard to be different, and only nailed it a handful of times with stuff like Cygnus X-1 and others. I would put Time and Motion in that group of songs where it did work, but now it sounds so forced to me.

I think their wheelhouse was songs with normal chord progressions, melodic vocal melodies, pretty normal song structures, no awkward time changes, pretty much where they peaked from PeW-PoW. That was when I felt they were at their natural best. But now they're at the total opposite end of what I thought they were so amazing at. I just dont get what they're trying to do anymore and this really feels like the end of the road to me with them.

Its almost like now they're trying to hard to be different and recapture the past, so they're putting together these really strange chord progressions and noticeable time changes, then trying to shoehorn strange vocal melodies on top of it. Then the rest just sounds like normal filler stuff or throwaways that didnt make the S&A cut. So bazaar to me.

Oh I completely agree. When I mentioned them being great at obscure writing, I was also referring to the early days more so than recent. My favorite era of Rush material settle on mid to late 80's (pretty close with your love of PeW to PoW) and for the same reasons. I love the melodic vocals and keys with the accent of his guitar work just making it all that much better. Having said that, I also love some of the more technical songs, being that I'm a musician and all, and love an excellent showcase of talent. But you're right, they were better at it in the early days. Now it does just sound forced. Like the riff in Carnies? It's okay I GUESS, but it just seems like he tried too hard and came up with something mediocre. But whatever, I'm not gonna sit here and cut up and album before it comes out. All I have thus far are 30 second clips, which arent worthy of giving a serious judgement.

In any event, it does appear that rush has reached the end of the road, and the bottle of "rocket sauce" (i think?) as Jack Black put it, is definitely getting close to empty. For Rush to spend several years on this record, for it to sound (so far) mediocre at best, and maybe only average when I hear the whole thing, that's not a very good sign. I'd have to say this will probably be their last studio record. Unfortunate but most likely true. I hope that when reading this, people take it in stride. I'm a huge fan of Rush, but I don't always agree and love everything they put out. Having said that, I intend to give the album a serious listening marathon for weeks before I actually give it a proper judgement.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 3 2012, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 3 2012, 10:03 AM)

who said we are disappointed in the new (CA) stuff? We haven't heard it yet.....

He said, "And now they just put out music I think sucks".