Those of you with kids

mjohnson30

How many of you were able to successfully turn them on to Rush and/or took them to a concert with you? My oldest son is 10 1/2 and I was able to get him into Rush this past year. Now I'll be taking him to the concert here in Michigan in September. Ideally I'd wait until he's a bit older but I figured I couldn't let the opportunity pass not knowing when the next tour might be. I must say I'm looking forward to it. I've seen them 4 other times, twice with my wife (once when she was still just my girlfriend) and twice with some like-minded work buddies. So this will be a different experience. And yes I guess it means I'm getting old.

My son is 15. He's getting into Rush, having just loaded 2112 and most of Moving Pictures onto his iPod.

His favorite band is probably the Beatles though. I'm just proud of him for rejecting the pukeworthy current pop scene. Any Rush fandom is a bonus.

I trained my daughter to yell RUSH ROCKS! whenever they came on the radio when she was about two. She's six now. She can name all the guys by sight, and one of her favorite shirts is a S&A tour shirt that I got her in 2008. She's finally growing into it. (I really wish they'd start having kid sizes at shows again!) I would *really* like to take her to a show, but not until she's older... ten or eleven. I just hope the band lasts that long.

My 19-year old niece, who has been playing violin since age 7 and guitar since middle school, got hooked on Rush pretty easily. It didn't take me much effort..... laugh.gif laugh.gif Rush was the first ever rock concert for her, and she was blown away. We went to the Snakes and Arrows and Time Machine Tours. Unfortunately, she's going to be in classes (Univ. of Cincinnati) during this Tour. No way I can drive 600 miles to get her and go to the Indianapolis Show.... angry.gif angry.gif

Her younger brother, on the other hand, can't stand Rush.... confused13.gif confused13.gif There's no hope for the boy....

10 1/2 years old is perfect for a Rush concert - if he's a fan. Rush concerts are relatively "tame" compared to a lot of bands. Example, my son also likes the Foo Fighters, but I wouldn't talke him to a FF show since Dave Grohl feels compelled to use the "F" word every 15 seconds. Kinda silly IMO.

My son was about 9 when I turned him onto Rush. Mainly - it was through the game RockBand. Ironically, RockBand has turned a LOT of people onto Rush since their songs are incredibly fun to play along to in that game.

I took him to the TM tour when he was 12 last year, and he called the concert a "night of life changing epicness".

Your son won't be disappointed.

Clem

QUOTE (clem @ Jun 2 2012, 11:28 AM)
Example, my son also likes the Foo Fighters, but I wouldn't talke him to a FF show since Dave Grohl feels compelled to use the "F" word every 15 seconds. Kinda silly IMO.

That's the only thing I don't like about Grohl. The band is cool, but he has no regard for what comes out of his mouth..... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 2 2012, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (clem @ Jun 2 2012, 11:28 AM)
Example, my son also likes the Foo Fighters, but I wouldn't talke him to a FF show since Dave Grohl feels compelled to use the "F" word every 15 seconds.  Kinda silly IMO.

That's the only thing I don't like about Grohl. The band is cool, but he has no regard for what comes out of his mouth..... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

He is also the most Over-exposed person in rock . He would play at the opening of a Phone Booth if he had the chance

My kids have heard Rush from Day 1, I'm sure of it as I probably played Rush on the way home from the hospital. My oldest (now 6) has been imitating Alex for years whenever he sees him on tv. Both kids love S&A Live, especially the spinning green-headed Al. The oldest spins around really fast while my youngest screams at the top of his lungs because it's so funny. Both kids drag out guitars (my oldest uses my mom's old acoustic and the younger one uses a Guitar Hero guitar) and play whenever Alex is playing. Neither one have ever shown any interest in Neil or Geddy! laugh.gif They certainly take after their mom. wink.gif

I would LOVE to take the kids to a show, especially my older son but at six I think he's still too young. I think he might be overwhelmed but then I think, "How awesome would it be that his first concert would be Rush!"

The more I think about it, the more I realize how drawn they are to Al and playing the guitar. Just the other day, I found my oldest at the top of the stairs, totally jamming and making guitar sounds, rocking hard core... in his underwear and a cowboy hat! The youngest cannot go anywhere without his favorite GH guitar. He "strums" on that thing all day.

Man these two would love seeing Rush in-person. Or, at least Al. laugh.gif

Edited by Janie

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jun 2 2012, 07:10 AM)
My son is 15. He's getting into Rush, having just loaded 2112 and most of Moving Pictures onto his iPod.

His favorite band is probably the Beatles though. I'm just proud of him for rejecting the pukeworthy current pop scene. Any Rush fandom is a bonus.

Don't worry, he'll come around to contemporary music before long. tongue.gif Probably once he goes to college.

There were a lot of tweens and teens at the Time Machine concert in Tampa.

One girl who must have been a teenager was belting out Tom Sawyer very loud- and getting all the lyrics right, which I did not even find out till the concert!

Everybody was having a great time. There were enough bathrooms and exit ways.

Son is 13 and loves Rush. He'll be going to his 7th show since 2002 in October.

He's seen the Carl Palmer Band 4 times, King Crimson a few times....

Too expensive to go to everything we want to see though

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 2 2012, 04:45 PM)
My son is 15.  He's getting into Rush, having just loaded 2112 and most of Moving Pictures onto his iPod.

His favorite band is probably the Beatles though.  I'm just proud of him for rejecting the pukeworthy current pop scene.  Any Rush fandom is a bonus.

Don't worry, he'll come around to contemporary music before long. tongue.gif Probably once he goes to college.

Nah, when he goes to college he'll get into Phish.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 2 2012, 03:45 PM)
My son is 15.  He's getting into Rush, having just loaded 2112 and most of Moving Pictures onto his iPod.

His favorite band is probably the Beatles though.  I'm just proud of him for rejecting the pukeworthy current pop scene.  Any Rush fandom is a bonus.

I hope not. I've been ridiculing kiddified Disney pop to him since the days of the Jonas Brothers, he's been dismissive of Bieber, Katy Perry, etc., and every now and then I'll turn on Radio Disney just so we can bash it.

The only fear I have is that he'll put up with it because the girls he'll like are into it. And no amount of ridiculing of it I'll do will mean a damned thing at that point.

I saw my first show with my dad when I was 14 and I knew next to nothing about Rush, but that night I got home and put on every album I could. I couldn't get enough.

When I was there, there was a guy with his son in front of me.. kid couldn't have been any older than 8, and he kept asking his dad when Far Cry was going to be played, haha.

Any age is good for a Rush show!

My three kids grew up hearing Rush all their lives, and while the other two appreciate them, they're just not really into music in general. But my youngest daughter, now 19, is a fan. Took her to see the holy trinity on the Snakes tour.

Her fave songs are The Spirit of Radio, Far Cry, Limelight, Witch Hunt, Tom Sawyer, and now Carnies.

I'm also proud that she totally loves King's X, Blue Oyster Cult, and old Gabriel-era Genesis.