How will "The Pedlars" be indexed?

cygnify

I'm sorry if this has been covered previously, but my search didn't find anything - we've heard about the two segue-like pieces "Pedlars I &II " and I got to thinking about how this will translate to my mp3 player - will they be indexed as separate tracks on the CD (thus 14 tracks?) or will they just be extended intros/outros to two of the songs (and thus a ripped mp3 will have this extension included.) Are those segues included in the times that we've seen listed for the songs?

On one hand, I certainly prefer to listen to the concept album at once and on CD (and without alterations, mp3 will not segue seamlessly) but on the other hand Geddy has mentioned that the songs stand on their own and ultimately, I will rip to mp3 for my player and for travel, etc.

Does anyone know how the CD is indexed for these tracks? thoughts?

mmmmmokay....

Was the mention of "The Pedlars" in some of the reviews missed or a ruse?

http://www.riff-mag.com/international-inte...stening-session

"In between "Clockwork Angels" and "The Anarchist" there was a title called "i - the pedlar 1", and also between "Headlong Flight" and "BU2B2" there was a title called "ii - the pedlar 2". "

Just wondering if anyone knew anything more about how these will be indexed (track number..) on the CD....

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 1 2012, 12:08 PM)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wVlEES5Yl1U/TQAHYpV3wBI/AAAAAAAAAMU/wI76ZIkxPlU/s1600/1.jpg

laugh.gif

But what does it mean?

As far The Pedlars business go, I have no idea.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 1 2012, 12:25 PM)
There are 12 tracks indexed on the CD which means The Pedlar 1 & 2 are simply bridges between songs.

trink39.gif

Not I don't feel like quite as bad of a Rush fan as I did a few minutes ago. wink.gif

QUOTE (cygnify @ Jun 1 2012, 11:18 AM)
mmmmmokay....

Was the mention of "The Pedlars" in some of the reviews missed or a ruse?

http://www.riff-mag.com/international-inte...stening-session

"In between "Clockwork Angels" and "The Anarchist" there was a title called "i - the pedlar 1", and also between "Headlong Flight" and "BU2B2" there was a title called "ii - the pedlar 2". "

Just wondering if anyone knew anything more about how these will be indexed (track number..) on the CD....

They may not be tracks at all.

A single piece of paper described the track-list for the album:
01 Caravan 5:40
02 BU2B 5:10
03 Clockwork Angels 7:31
04 The Anarchist 6:52
05 Carnies 4:52
06 Halo Effect 3:14
07 Seven Cities of Gold 6:32
08 The Wreckers 5:01
09 Headlong Flight 7:20
10 BU2B2 1:28
11 Wish Them Well 5:25
12 The Garden 6:59

In between "Clockwork Angels" and "The Anarchist" there was a title called "i - the pedlar 1", and also between "Headlong Flight" and "BU2B2" there was a title called "ii - the pedlar 2".

The meaning of these monikers should become more evident when the full lyrics become available, but for now, they seem something like a subtitle for "Clockwork Angels" and "Headlong Flight", as these two songs have some sort of connection between them.

First, he indicated that these two appeared on the single piece of paper with the track list, not that he heard them. Then, he goes on to speculate that those may simply be subtitles for CA and HF. Also, he didn't review those as "tracks" during the listening party.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time Rush has used subtitles for their songs. I guess they could also be a simple narrative link in the booklet. Maybe extra text to link the lyrics, that weren't crafted into song lyrics. Rush has done that sort of thing before, too, to present with the album.

Thanks Snaked!

I'm guessing that "The Pedlars" are not part of the 30 second intros that are out there now; so perhaps they are tacked on at the ends of CA (the song) and HF. However, the running time that is listed for HF (7:20) is the same that is out there as a single mp3. THUS, the total album time may be different than what many have calculated (not adding "The Pedlars") ???

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 1 2012, 11:31 AM)
Your answer:

i and ii

...I hope

if i and ii are just sub-titles and not tracks - does that mean that the album HF (where apparently "The Pedlar ii" is attached) will be longer than what is already out there as a single?

QUOTE (cygnify @ Jun 1 2012, 11:33 AM)
Thanks Snaked!

I'm guessing that "The Pedlars" are not part of the 30 second intros that are out there now; so perhaps they are tacked on at the ends of CA (the song) and HF. However, the running time that is listed for HF (7:20) is the same that is out there as a single mp3. THUS, the total album time may be different than what many have calculated (not adding "The Pedlars") ???

In addition to what I stated above, I'll add this. The sound of these "tracks" has not been mentioned in any of the reviews or interviews with the band. Alex is all about sounds, organic and all that stuff. If he had created little ethereal connecting tracks of some kind, he would've been all over talking about them in his track-by-track review he did. Also, why would that be necessary to make them separate tracks if they were little connect-y tunes? Why not just add them on to the songs they lead into or out of? They did that with BU2B - it was shorter on the single release, but the album version has an extra intro.

What surprises me about this is why anyone would care enough not to just wait and see? I just don't get it. For all we know this little interactions are 8 seconds long in total and simply appended to the tracks that they bridge. From listening to the samples it sounds like just that - they will be blended in with the tracks.

But why would this even occur to anyone at this point? I'm all for discussing anything and everything RUSH related here, but this question just seemed a bit oddball.

UNLESS OF COURSE you have obtained a copy of the CD and are trying to figure our the best way to rip it and post it! Should that be the case please accept my sincerest apologies, I was really only joking I don't think the subject matter is unusual at all and if there is ANYTHING I can do to help please let me know oh and also my email address is geddyismyuncle@swankmagazine.com.

laugh.gif

What exactly are "pedlars"?

Are they part of a caravan of clockwork angels who report to the anarchist who sell their goods in the garden of the seven cities of gold? Or are they more like carnies (or wreckers suffering from the halo effect) on a headlong flight as I was brought up to believe?

In either case I wish them well.....

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 1 2012, 12:41 PM)

Are they part of a caravan of clockwork angels who report to the anarchist who sell their goods in the garden of the seven cities of gold? Or are they more like carnies (or wreckers suffering from the halo effect) on a headlong flight as I was brought up to believe?

In either case I wish them well.....

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/albums/clockwork-angels-3.jpg

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 1 2012, 11:40 AM)
UNLESS OF COURSE you have obtained a copy of the CD and are trying to figure our the best way to rip it and post it!

The CD's are out there now. People are getting shipping notices about the Fan Pack. There are boxes of these things out there. And, Walmart posted clips and nobody in Rush's camp protested. That ship has sailed.

So, since there hasn't been a leak yet, we can only assume that Pedlar I and II are simply electronically encoded data designed to prevent piracy and/or allow the FBI and RIAA to track you down if you upload them.

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 1 2012, 12:41 PM)

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/babytiger58/cyclists.jpg

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 1 2012, 11:40 AM)
What surprises me about this is why anyone would care enough not to just wait and see? I just don't get it. For all we know this little interactions are 8 seconds long in total and simply appended to the tracks that they bridge. From listening to the samples it sounds like just that - they will be blended in with the tracks.

But why would this even occur to anyone at this point? I'm all for discussing anything and everything RUSH related here, but this question just seemed a bit oddball.

UNLESS OF COURSE you have obtained a copy of the CD and are trying to figure our the best way to rip it and post it! Should that be the case please accept my sincerest apologies, I was really only joking I don't think the subject matter is unusual at all and if there is ANYTHING I can do to help please let me know oh and also my email address is geddyismyuncle@swankmagazine.com.

laugh.gif

yeah ok - but compared to the ridiculous minutia that actually gets discussed on this board, I thought a question about what appears on the CD, and how it appears, addressed to those that might have actually heard the CD, might actually be pertinent.

Just yesterday we got the 30 second samples - while there are ambient interludes, to my ear, The Anarchist and BU2B2 samples are the songs proper and the walmart samples likely do not contain whatever it is that is being called "The Pedlar" Sooooo.... if they are included in the track preceding their reported appearance in the running order, Headlong Flight as we know it will actually be a bit longer on the CD.... IMO something that is mildly interesting considering others on this board are discussing what air you will breathe when you hear CA.... unsure.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 1 2012, 12:34 PM)
I hope they are written word, like 2112 has, bridging the gap between songs and are not "songs" at all - just notes in the booklet.

Good Point! That would be cool!

QUOTE (cygnify @ Jun 1 2012, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 1 2012, 12:34 PM)
I hope they are written word, like 2112 has, bridging the gap between songs and are not "songs" at all - just notes in the booklet.

Good Point! That would be cool!

Ah, yes, that is an excellent point. I wish I had thought to bring that up earlier in the thread. This makes sense to me and is likely the case. One could even take the time to point out evidence to support this idea.