Fake title alert! "Drummer Neil Peart shot by

ioc

...would be the likely headline if wanderlust ever leads him through Zamboanga City.

What a crazy place to live.

I wonder if he's ever ridden in more dangerous places than that.

user posted image

(ps. I had no choice for the topic title. You know I had to do it.)

Admin edit: Yeah...I think you did have a choice. We don't do that kind of stuff here. Even with quotation marks, it gives people a heart attack. Namely, this person.

Edited by GhostGirl

QUOTE (ioc @ May 27 2012, 07:36 AM)
...would be the likely headline if wanderlust ever leads him through Zamboanga City.

I wonder if he's ever ridden in more dangerous places than that.

user posted image

(ps. I had no choice for the topic title. You know I had to do it.)

Riding through Mexico and Central America is more dangerous since there is the constant

danger of being kidnapped and held for ransom. If they knew he was riding there during the Ghost Rider days he would have been nabbed for sure.

QUOTE (ioc @ May 27 2012, 06:36 AM)
Even with quotation marks, it gives people a heart attack.  Namely, this person.

Oh, fine then. wink.gif

btw, asprin, nitro, and a teaspoon of sugar will fix that heart thing right up. tongue.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 27 2012, 08:30 AM)
Neil's a very smart guy, I'm sure he researches his routes in foreign countries before he embarks.

So, foreigners kidnapped in other countries are dumb?

No, you take your chances period. Recently a busload of tourists were robbed near Acapulco.

The Philippines is definitely not a safe place to live in or (for tourists especially) visit, and this is coming from someone who is of Filipino descent. I wasn't born there, but the last time I visited the country (which was years ago), there were a series of murders that occurred after people got into disputes for singing My Way at karaoke bars. It's debatable if those killings were just coincidental, or that those who killed them simply think the song's lyrics are "aggressive". I don't know if people know about this, but here's an interesting fact; The Philippines scared away The Beatles in 1966 when they toured there, and that was said to be one of the reasons why they stopped touring altogether. So yeah, us Filipinos are VERY crazy, and VERY unlikable people. Yes, I know that I'm talking sh*t about my own people, but it's the truth.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 27 2012, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 27 2012, 08:30 AM)
Neil's a very smart guy, I'm sure he researches his routes in foreign countries before he embarks.

So, foreigners kidnapped in other countries are dumb?

No, you take your chances period. Recently a busload of tourists were robbed near Acapulco.

Not saying all foreigners are dumb, many are just ignorant (think college kids going to Tijuana for spring break, for example). Just because you go to a resort city doesn't mean it's all peaches and cream near the city limits. You should know your surroundings before you go to an unfamiliar place. I would never visit, say, Mexico City without researching the areas to stay the hell away from.

Of course, shit does happen and people get kidnapped/beaten/shot in "safer" areas, and it's unfortunate, but many foreigners are just ignorant to the fact that this can happen to them. As for Mexico, this violence has been a problem in the entire country because of the Cartels, it's been all over the news, so you're definitely taking your chances there. I'm sure you'd never catch Neil cruising through Cartel territory unless he has a deathwish. Some areas are just clearly more dangerous than others. I wouldn't put it past Neil to keep a gun strapped to his hip if he knows he knows he's about to travel through a potentially dangerous zone. Being aware of the fact that something can happen and being prepared for the worst is vital when traveling in dangerous foreign countries to stay alive. Ignorance is what often gets you killed (note I said often, not always).

I recall this article about two Chinese boys who were going to college at USC, which is in southern, urban Los Angeles. They strayed only a mile off campus and were both shot to death. Now, this happened in April. The school year beings in September. This is plenty of time to learn to understand the dangerous and "safer" areas of LA, despite the language barrier and being from a different country. They likely had the mentality that the college campus is a safe area, therefore anything by the campus is safe. Obviously they were wrong, and their ignorance led to this tragedy.

TL;DR: Being ignorant doesn't necessarily mean you're dumb.

Sorry for the essay trink39.gif

I appreciate the title edit, 73. trink39.gif Earlier today I saw this and almost had a heart attack until I clicked on the thread title and read on.

Maybe I'm just gullible.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ May 28 2012, 10:01 AM)

The Philippines is definitely not a safe place to live in or (for tourists especially) visit, and this is coming from someone who is of Filipino descent. I wasn't born there, but the last time I visited the country (which was years ago), there were a series of murders that occurred after people got into disputes for singing My Way at karaoke bars. It's debatable if those killings were just coincidental, or that those who killed them simply think the song's lyrics are "aggressive". I don't know if people know about this, but here's an interesting fact; The Philippines scared away The Beatles in 1966 when they toured there, and that was said to be one of the reasons why they stopped touring altogether. So yeah, us Filipinos are VERY crazy, and VERY unlikable people. Yes, I know that I'm talking sh*t about my own people, but it's the truth.

My parents are from the Philippines (I grew up stateside). And yeah, I've been there twice and heard about some crazy shit from family members there. But I had a ball when I visited and I'd go back again. Basically, you just have to be more careful there than you would in many other countries. But to make such the blanket statement "Filipinos are VERY crazy, and VERY unlikable people" is absurd. You're crazy and unlikable? Your parents are? Your family members are? You know that's a major exaggeration because there are some seriously good people there amidst all the chaos.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 28 2012, 04:22 AM)
I appreciate the title edit, 73.  trink39.gif  Earlier today I saw this and almost had a heart attack until I clicked on the thread title and read on.

Maybe I'm just gullible.

ohmy.gif I very nearly had a cardiac too! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 27 2012, 10:22 PM)
I appreciate the title edit, 73. trink39.gif Earlier today I saw this and almost had a heart attack until I clicked on the thread title and read on.

Maybe I'm just gullible.

You're welcome.

And it was me that done it. 73 lets me help out sometimes. yes.gif

Nice to meet you.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 28 2012, 05:59 AM)

My parents are from the Philippines (I grew up stateside). And yeah, I've been there twice and heard about some crazy shit from family members there. But I had a ball when I visited and I'd go back again. Basically, you just have to be more careful there than you would in many other countries. But to make such the blanket statement "Filipinos are VERY crazy, and VERY unlikable people" is absurd. You're crazy and unlikable? Your parents are? Your family members are? You know that's a major exaggeration because there are some seriously good people there amidst all the chaos.

Okay, so I admit that was an over exaggerated statement I said, and to be honest, most of what I said sorta came from stream of conscience. I didn't really take the time to find the right words to say at the time, and yeah, I feel really bad for my use of poor words. I apologize my words came out as offensive because I really didn't think twice about what I said.

I don't know how it is with Filipinos from your area, but I guess what I really meant to say was based from my experiences and where I'm live (which is a little borough in upper NJ), most Filipinos I've came across acted friendly when you approach them, but behind my back, they're rude, sneaky, somewhat racist, and most of the time, pretty noisy. Some Filipinos in my area try forcing people (not just other Filipinos) into something against their will and sometimes get into arguments over the most stupidest things that escalate into bigger problems and it gets really annoying and frustrating if it happens all the time which is is the case for me. I suppose that's why I based my opinion of them as being "crazy and unlikable". I know there's good and bad people with every race, and I know I shouldn't think of my own people that way, but it's just that I've been around rude Filipinos for almost my entire adolescence, that I grew up believing that's the case.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 27 2012, 06:30 AM)

Domestic, too. As alluded to later in the thread, not everywhere in America is a safe place to drive through. There are parts of every major city where non-residents should rightfully fear for their safety - parts of rural America, too.

Smart people plan their routes carefully no matter what. Foolish people take their chances in strange places that they don't research first.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 28 2012, 10:40 AM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 27 2012, 06:30 AM)

Domestic, too. As alluded to later in the thread, not everywhere in America is a safe place to drive through. There are parts of every major city where non-residents should rightfully fear for their safety - parts of rural America, too.

Smart people plan their routes carefully no matter what. Foolish people take their chances in strange places that they don't research first.

Funny. Neil makes a point in one of his books of mentioning riding his bicycle through Harlem. Says people view bicyclists as non-threatening so no one bothered him. Any place can be dangerous at any time.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 28 2012, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 27 2012, 10:22 PM)
I appreciate the title edit, 73.  trink39.gif  Earlier today I saw this and almost had a heart attack until I clicked on the thread title and read on.

Maybe I'm just gullible.

You're welcome.

And it was me that done it. 73 lets me help out sometimes. yes.gif

Nice to meet you.

My mistake, GhostGirl! It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. bekloppt.gif

It's a lovely forum you run here. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ May 28 2012, 11:00 PM)

Okay, so I admit that was an over exaggerated statement I said, and to be honest, most of what I said sorta came from stream of conscience. I didn't really take the time to find the right words to say at the time, and yeah, I feel really bad for my use of poor words. I apologize my words came out as offensive because I really didn't think twice about what I said.

I don't know how it is with Filipinos from your area, but I guess what I really meant to say was based from my experiences and where I'm live (which is a little borough in upper NJ), most Filipinos I've came across acted friendly when you approach them, but behind my back, they're rude, sneaky, somewhat racist, and most of the time, pretty noisy. Some Filipinos in my area try forcing people (not just other Filipinos) into something against their will and sometimes get into arguments over the most stupidest things that escalate into bigger problems and it gets really annoying and frustrating if it happens all the time which is is the case for me. I suppose that's why I based my opinion of them as being "crazy and unlikable". I know there's good and bad people with every race, and I know I shouldn't think of my own people that way, but it's just that I've been around rude Filipinos for almost my entire adolescence, that I grew up believing that's the case.

There've been plenty of Filipinos I've met, known, or are related to that are extremely hot-tempered, backstabbing, etc. But shit, that could go for basically any race or nationality that I've met.

Just to show you that I know exactly what you're talking about though, here are a couple of fun instances that I've experienced that are more connected to what you're talking about:

1) Hanging out in Manila with my late teens/early 20s nephews & nieces in front of their house...we're talking about balut when we hear some dudes across the street mockingly saying "balut" over and over again. The older nephews get all hot-headed and want to go over and bash the heads of those dudes. I tell them, "Over balut? That's it?! Don't worry about it." They tell me, "No uncle. They're being disrespectful" and go over for a possible rumble. Luckily nothing happened. The dudes ((very surprisingly)) apologized and my nephews came back and apologized to me for getting all huffy about it. Over f***ing balut for pete's sake!!!

2) In a bar here in Japan with a group of people...one of the guys I've never seen before is a Canadien Filipino (a rarity here) so we're drinking, chatting, and all that. He then finds out that I can't speak Tagalog (aside from food and general stuff) and condescendingly says,"You can't speak Tagalog? What kind of Filipino are you?" I say,"The kind that was never taught Tagalog for a very long reason that you probably wouldn't care about." He goes on,"You can't be a Filipino and NOT speak Tagalog!" My reply,"Are you always a condescending dick to people you just meet?" He f*cked off after that. Good.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 30 2012, 07:42 AM)

There've been plenty of Filipinos I've met, known, or are related to that are extremely hot-tempered, backstabbing, etc. But shit, that could go for basically any race or nationality that I've met.

Just to show you that I know exactly what you're talking about though, here are a couple of fun instances that I've experienced that are more connected to what you're talking about:

1) Hanging out in Manila with my late teens/early 20s nephews & nieces in front of their house...we're talking about balut when we hear some dudes across the street mockingly saying "balut" over and over again. The older nephews get all hot-headed and want to go over and bash the heads of those dudes. I tell them, "Over balut? That's it?! Don't worry about it." They tell me, "No uncle. They're being disrespectful" and go over for a possible rumble. Luckily nothing happened. The dudes ((very surprisingly)) apologized and my nephews came back and apologized to me for getting all huffy about it. Over f***ing balut for pete's sake!!!

2) In a bar here in Japan with a group of people...one of the guys I've never seen before is a Canadien Filipino (a rarity here) so we're drinking, chatting, and all that. He then finds out that I can't speak Tagalog (aside from food and general stuff) and condescendingly says,"You can't speak Tagalog? What kind of Filipino are you?" I say,"The kind that was never taught Tagalog for a very long reason that you probably wouldn't care about." He goes on,"You can't be a Filipino and NOT speak Tagalog!" My reply,"Are you always a condescending dick to people you just meet?" He f*cked off after that. Good.

To be fair, balut is serious shit.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 31 2012, 08:36 AM)

laugh.gif

It is shit. It's hands down the nastiest dish on the planet. But I wouldn't go bash someone's head in just for saying the word. However, I might maim someone if they tried to make me eat it though. laugh.gif

Warning!!! Pic of balut below!!! DO NOT LOOK IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH!!!

http://www.moolf.com/images/stories/Interesting/Strangest-Foods/Balut.jpg

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 31 2012, 12:34 PM)

laugh.gif

It is shit. It's hands down the nastiest dish on the planet. But I wouldn't go bash someone's head in just for saying the word. However, I might maim someone if they tried to make me eat it though. laugh.gif

scared.gif scared.gif scared.gif scared.gif Ewwwwww..!! I think there's an eye in there!! scared.gif scared.gif scared.gif scared.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ May 31 2012, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 31 2012, 12:34 PM)

laugh.gif

scared.gif scared.gif scared.gif scared.gif Ewwwwww..!! I think there's an eye in there!! scared.gif scared.gif scared.gif scared.gif

I know there's an eye in there! It's a fertilized duck embryo after all. Sometimes if you're really lucky you'll get some feathers in your balut! sarcasm.gif laugh.gif

But I am serious about the feathers. 062802puke_prv.gif

It looks nasty but the smell is a thousand times worse. yes.gif