What song from AFTK do you want to hear?

beherit

what song niggaz?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. what song niggaz?

• A Farwell to Kings
    • Xanadu
    • Closer to the Heart
    • Cinderella Man
    • Madrigal
    • Cygnus X-1

I mean, it's a great song for the casual fans, and when I was just getting into Rush, I got more out of songs like that than say, Necromancer or something. But yeah, it's not what I'm paying 50 bucks to see.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely Xanadu. But actually not really any songs. There are so many from other albums higher up on my list!

QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 26 2012, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ May 26 2012, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ May 26 2012, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 26 2012, 07:11 AM)
XANADU.

I would've voted for the title track but I read somewhere that they tried to rehearse it for the R30 tour but Geddy couldn't sing it. If he couldn't do it eight years ago he sure as hell can't do it now. Xanadu is still a strong possibility though.

If they just tuned it down a bit I think they could play the title track

I second that. I'm sure Ged could pull it of if he wanted to by means of lowing the key and altering some of the vocal melodies. I thought when they lowered the key of Circumstances on the S&A tour, it actually improved the song quite a bit. I'd also say the same for 2112 on the more recent tours.

Don't forget Bangkok.

no.gif Bangkok wasn't tuned down on the S&A tour. All Geddy had to do for that one was tweak some the vocal melodies to make them fit his range as it is now. It's really not that difficult when you think about it. If he could pull off Bangkok without lowering the key, I'm sure he'd be just fine doing A Farewell to Kings tuned down.

Also, can you please never use the word "niggaz" in a poll question ever again?

K thx bye.

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ May 26 2012, 07:27 PM)
XANADU.

I would've voted for the title track but I read somewhere that they tried to rehearse it for the R30 tour but Geddy couldn't sing it. If he couldn't do it eight years ago he sure as hell can't do it now. Xanadu is still a strong possibility though.

I second that. I'm sure Ged could pull it of if he wanted to by means of lowing the key and altering some of the vocal melodies. I thought when they lowered the key of Circumstances on the S&A tour, it actually improved the song quite a bit. I'd also say the same for 2112 on the more recent tours.

Don't forget Bangkok.

no.gif Bangkok wasn't tuned down on the S&A tour. All Geddy had to do for that one was tweak some the vocal melodies to make them fit his range as it is now. It's really not that difficult when you think about it. If he could pull off Bangkok without lowering the key, I'm sure he'd be just fine doing A Farewell to Kings tuned down.

Personally, I'd much rather they tune down the songs than for Geddy to change the melodies of songs (which he seems to do a lot nowadays). For me, a lot of the magic of a Rush song is the brilliant melody!

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ May 26 2012, 06:27 PM)
XANADU.

Don't forget Bangkok.

Bangkok doesn't have anything too high that Geddy can't reach but the chorus to AFTK does. I honestly think if there was a way for them to rearrange the song so it would sound good now they would've played it already and the song wouldn't have been absent from the set for over 30 years and counting. Also, if they did play AFTK it might sound very odd like Circumstances did and the song just might not work out well that way.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Not sure that they need to tune down. Geddy hadn't sung 2112 in the proper key in years, at least since the Signals tour, and on the previous two he used a bad sounding falsetto. His lower singing never bothered me. I doubt they would ever do it, but I wonder what he'd sound like singing in his current range with a pitch changer on his voice. Cheating I suppose....

I love the music in Xanadu and wish they had played the whole piece on R30. Last saw the whole piece on the Moving Pictures tour.

AFTK is great in some respects. They play with conviction and it makes it all sound so great. For me, Cygnus X-1 is nowhere near as great as I thought it was 30+ years ago, some good parts but too heavy on the bombastic side... Madrigal would not be very exciting, but any of the rest of the album would be welcome.

I'm still hoping for the entire Hemispheres (side 1), and just once, La Villa Strangiato with the acoustic intro and no messing around.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 26 2012, 02:24 PM)
Closer to the Heart used to be standard.

Why does everyone crap on it now?

confused13.gif

I love it every time.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 26 2012, 06:27 PM)
Also, can you please never use the word "niggaz" in a poll question ever again?

K thx bye.

cat.gif