Joesaracer

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 25 2012, 05:09 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ May 25 2012, 07:06 AM)
Gotta love how if a review isnt 100% positive, the review sucks. If he had nicer things to say from top to bottom you all would be up his ass. That's how it works on the internet.

Not necessarily, but this review is just incomprehensible. It's a terrible review

Yeah, this. It has nothing to do with whether he likes the album or not. It has to do with the fact that his writing is so stream of consciousness and cryptic.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 25 2012, 07:40 AM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 25 2012, 05:09 AM)
Gotta love how if a review isnt 100% positive, the review sucks. If he had nicer things to say from top to bottom you all would be up his ass. That's how it works on the internet.

Not necessarily, but this review is just incomprehensible. It's a terrible review

Yeah, this. It has nothing to do with whether he likes the album or not. It has to do with the fact that his writing is so stream of consciousness and cryptic.

Absolutely. Did he say anything negative? I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if trenken knows how the internet works. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ May 25 2012, 06:06 AM)

Seriously? According to his own editor it's a 10/10 review and you think we're complaining about negative comments? Dude, it's frickin' unreadable. It would be impossible for me to be upset by any criticisms he made seeing as I can't even understand any of it. It may be the most positive review Rush has ever gotten for all I know and it still sucks in the extreme.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 25 2012, 07:09 AM)

The review is fine, he's just a little quirky in his writing style. That didnt keep me from totally understanding what he was trying to say.

It wasn't a 100% glowing review so people pick apart the other things to somehow discredit the entire review which isn't really fair, but he's obviously a Rush fan and obviously has heard the album so his opinion is valid, although of course it's just 1 guys opinion, and we know with Rush one man's trash is anothers treasure.

We see it here everyday. Some think Headlong is the best song theyve put out in 15 years, for me personally it's one of the worst, and each opinion is perfectly fine. I dont argue with them, they usually argue with me lol, and I wont argue with that guys review. I havent even heard the album.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 25 2012, 08:35 AM)

Seriously? According to his own editor it's a 10/10 review and you think we're complaining about negative comments? Dude, it's frickin' unreadable. It would be impossible for me to be upset by any criticisms he made seeing as I can't even understand any of it. It may be the most positive review Rush has ever gotten for all I know and it still sucks in the extreme.

Then why did I completely understand it? He puts some sentences together strangely, and did pick apart some things about the album. How are you not able to understand what he wrote?? It really wasn't bad at all to me, just weird, but totally got what we was saying. Really not that difficult.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 25 2012, 03:38 PM)

Then why did I completely understand it? He puts some sentences together strangely, and did pick apart some things about the album. How are you not able to understand what he wrote?? It really wasn't bad at all to me, just weird, but totally got what we was saying. Really not that difficult.

Oh, stop playing head of the class tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I know it's perfectly understandable, the point is that is terribly annoying. I'm more than willing to put the extra-effort to read something (and believe me I've read WEIRD stuff), provided I can get a connection of some kind with the writer. While I was reading this, all I could think was "Uh?".

Popoff was like this with Contents under Pressure -- it was an incredibly clunky read, though I liked the book as a whole, but moreso for the insight provided by the band.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 25 2012, 06:38 AM)

It's fairly understandable, just filled with obscure, often seemingly random references and analogies. It conveys an attitude of "aren't I clever the way I mash words and phrases together off the top of my head to make sentences so obscure that if you don't get it then you're not intelligent enough to grasp my unique and brilliant writing style, and are ultimately unworthy to read my stellar review anyway." Pure style over substance, and a very off-putting smug and annoyingly egocentric style at that. It's much more about him than the music.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 25 2012, 09:05 AM)

It's fairly understandable, just filled with obscure, often seemingly random references and analogies. It conveys an attitude of "aren't I clever the way I mash words and phrases together off the top of my head to make sentences so obscure that if you don't get it then you're not intelligent enough to grasp my unique and brilliant writing style, and are ultimately unworthy to read my stellar review anyway." Pure style over substance, and a very off-putting smug and annoyingly egocentric style at that. It's much more about him than the music.

Agree with Goober 100%. We are picking it apart for the way it is written, the snob filled attitudes, the fluff.....the un necessary verbiage that while is comprehensible, is utterly scattered, annoying, and over the top. He is tripping over his ego left and right here.

And Trenken, if you dont mind the review, fine, but quit accusing those of us who dont like it as fanbois..... Even if in all his verbage he said this was the best Rush album ever, I would still hate the review and so would most here. How you think it works on the internet is not so obvious and predictable....at least in this forum....most Rush fans here have a brain and critique reviews mostly for how it's presented and worded, not about subjective opinions about the music.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 25 2012, 09:05 AM)

"So much style without substance..."

Automatically thought of Grand Designs when I read the bolded part. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 25 2012, 07:49 AM)
"with further abstraction caused by demarcation into their necessary chapters, welcome, so that these hugely ambitious and exclusively dark songs can stand on their own as Rush songs, soon to be mouthed by crowds in the wrongness for this of hockey barns."

rofl3.gif

Holy crap, is that an actual quote from the review?

rofl3.gif