Joesaracer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 24 2012, 01:26 PM)
Moving Pictures is optimistic? I hear songs about isolation, an oppressive dystopian future, mob rule, and the potential conflicts with technology. I guess YYZ is a happy song by implication, though.

Well, the lyrics to Tom Sawyer, Camera Eye, and certainly Red Barchetta do strike me as optimistic.

And for me ALL the music excluding Witch Hunt continues the same upbeat, optimistic vibe as TSOR and Freewill from PeW.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 24 2012, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ May 24 2012, 01:32 PM)
Nearly as bad as a patient rounds presentation by a third year med student with ADD on his first rotation.

WTF?! Are you the same person who wrote this review?

z7shysterical.gif

wink.gif

You got that huh?

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 24 2012, 01:33 PM)
Why does anyone care if an album's theme or lyrics are optimistic or not? confused13.gif I don't think of Moving Pictures as optimistic, pessimistic, agathistic or nihilistic, I just don't consider this type of shit in relation to music.

I'm just saying, a lot of folks are going to complain about CA being "too dark" and "too heavy."

Some fans always seem to be pining for another Power Windows type album, and it sounds like CA is anything but.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ May 24 2012, 01:38 PM)
Why does anyone care if an album's theme or lyrics are optimistic or not?  confused13.gif I don't think of Moving Pictures as optimistic, pessimistic, agathistic or nihilistic, I just don't consider this type of shit in relation to music.

I'm just saying, a lot of folks are going to complain about CA being "too dark" and "too heavy."

Some fans always seem to be pining for another Power Windows type album, and it sounds like CA is anything but.

Just ignore Rushgoober, he insists on bands delivering what his favourite films give him...hippy rainbow crap!

1287.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ May 24 2012, 12:38 PM)
Why does anyone care if an album's theme or lyrics are optimistic or not?  confused13.gif I don't think of Moving Pictures as optimistic, pessimistic, agathistic or nihilistic, I just don't consider this type of shit in relation to music.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think it'll depend on how much people just see the narrative as simply a story vs. how much they try to see the analogy of how Neil sees the real world. Some people might make more "reality" out of it than there is, he's working with a sci-fi author after all and likewise just because the main character in 2112 kills himself that doesn't (or shouldn't) reflect on Neil personally. But until we hear the music and read the lyrics it's all guesswork.

Are these reviews getting more and more frustrating, or is it just me?

An interesting review to be sure, but his Rush preferences (VT) make it hard to take this entirely seriously, or to determine really at all whether I'd like this album or not based on his crazy comparisons and analogies.

Also, is it only me, or do many of these reviews sound like they're reviewing entirely different albums? Just another notch in my belt of it must be heard by me to really ascertain whether I'm gonna like this thing or not, as these reviews (as all reviews should be) are so highly subjective as to be absurd.

The danger in many of these reviews is that people tend to hang their hopes on one person's words, as if those are truly going to accurately reflect their own experience of the album once they actually get to hear it for themselves. It might be a very different experience than this guys one or anyone else who's written a comprehensive or semi-comprehensive review. They're intriguing, frustrating, sometimes logistically informative, but really we're going to have to make up our own damn minds once the thing comes out.

It would be like 10 people here reviewing Snakes & Arrows and then trying to gauge your experience of it before listening based solely on those 10 reviews. The reviews would doubtlessly have vastly conflicting information and subjective opinions, which end up being almost completely meaningless. No matter what anyone says, we're just going to have to hear it for ourselves to really know.

QUOTE (FeelingUnlimited @ May 24 2012, 10:40 AM)
God, what awful writing. Put away your flowery adjectives, pretentious sentence structures, and baffling cultural references. Just tell us something of substance about the album, instead of wasting our time with this junk.

goodpost.gif

I found it downright hard to read. I really don't know what he was trying to say half the time.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 24 2012, 02:19 PM)
The danger in many of these reviews is that people tend to hang their hopes on one person's words, as if those are truly going to accurately reflect their own experience of the album once they actually get to hear it for themselves. It might be a very different experience than this guys one or anyone else who's written a comprehensive or semi-comprehensive review. They're intriguing, frustrating, sometimes logistically informative, but really we're going to have to make up our own damn minds once the thing comes out.

It would be like 10 people here reviewing Snakes & Arrows and then trying to gauge your experience of it before listening based solely on those 10 reviews. The reviews would doubtlessly have vastly conflicting information and subjective opinions, which end up being almost completely meaningless. No matter what anyone says, we're just going to have to hear it for ourselves to really know.

Duh!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 24 2012, 02:19 PM)

All I'm mostly interested in are the objective, detailed, factual things about the record.....instrumentation, type of sound, tempo, vocals, flow, etc. Of course, even these can be interpreted subjectively, but it's nice to get a flavor of what's coming in terms of actual musical material.

With this review above, he could be reviewing a new folk Chinese record and I wouldn't know the difference.......there was NOTHING in there that informed me further!!!.... wacko.gif

I went from smile.gif to huh.gif to biggrin.gif to confused13.gif to ohmy.gif to cool.gif to wacko.gif to unsure.gif

Wooow man, I read his Rush book and I don't remenber it being like that. They must have had a complimentary doobie bar where he was listening. I also get the feeling he's Brittish laugh.gif

Edited by Lerxster

QUOTE (KenJennings @ May 24 2012, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (FeelingUnlimited @ May 24 2012, 10:40 AM)
God, what awful writing. Put away your flowery adjectives, pretentious sentence structures, and baffling cultural references. Just tell us something of substance about the album, instead of wasting our time with this junk.

goodpost.gif

I found it downright hard to read. I really don't know what he was trying to say half the time.

goodpost.gif