Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jun 9 2012, 02:39 PM)
QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jun 8 2012, 04:08 PM)
I had my daughter go onto iTunes for me, and make my own version of a Dire Straits Greatest Hits disc.

Expresso Love
Lady Writer
Skateaway
Romeo and Juliet
Love Over Gold
What it Is (Knopfler solo)
Tunnel of Love
Telegraph Road
Twisting by the Pool
Solid Rock
Sultans of Swing

Man, they were good before they went all pop.

No Industrial Disease?

Fun track!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 23 2012, 08:14 PM)
I love this band. "Love Over Gold" is one of the greatest albums on the planet.

Oh yeah! I love these old I mean "Love Over Gold" Threads that keep popping up!

Dire Straits is EPIC! 1022.gif

Has anyone heard the Privateering album yet and more importantly, is anyone here going to see MK along with Dylan on the current North American tour? ohmy.gif

"Mark will be performing a 70 minute set with his own band prior to Bob's performances each night" cool.gif

Count me! Knopfler is an amazing musician and Dire Straits a great band. The first album is one of my favorites. Down to the Waterline, Water of Love, Setting Me Up. Great stuff.

smile.gif

Mark Knopfler is my favorite guitarist. The tone he gets is monster and instantly recognizable. I have seen him live and count it among the best that I have seen. The lead at the end of Romeo and Juliet is full of the tone and phrasing I want to achieve when I play.
  • Like 1

The lead at the end of Romeo and Juliet is full of the tone and phrasing I want to achieve when I play.

For sure; his technique, phrasing, tone, so distinctive. Would love to incorporate some of his style. I'm revisiting more and more, having a new appreciation of this genius. There are a few albums I overlooked a little during the 80s, now I totally get them.

I love Dire Straits too! I almost bought Mark's new double cd entitled "Privateering" but I passed.

Very bluesy/folky. I wish he would go electric again and do more shit like "Sultans Of Swing."

One of the greatest guitar solos of all time on that tune!

I love Dire Straits too! I almost bought Mark's new double cd entitled "Privateering" but I passed.

Very bluesy/folky. I wish he would go electric again and do more shit like "Sultans Of Swing."

Aye, I bailed on the folky Mark as well :ph34r:

Alchemy must rate in my Top Ten live albums of all time. Genius! :guitar:

I followed Mark´s first two solo albums, but then it got too boring. He played in Rio a few years back and wouldn´t even raise his head to say hello, that was a huge disappointment...nowadays I can´t even get past the full versions of Romeo & Juliet or Brothers in Arms without falling asleep.

I recently got a great deal on some frames designed for hanging albums. Alchemy was the first to go on the wall. An amazing live performance, and if you only get one DS collection, get this one.

I recently got a great deal on some frames designed for hanging albums. Alchemy was the first to go on the wall. An amazing live performance, and if you only get one DS collection, get this one.

Damn straight goosie! I was barraged with DS from a friend in the 80s, but only liked a smidgen back then in my metal snobbery (always liked Alchemy though!). Now of course it's a completely different story :codger:

Hey Steve!

Yes, that new double album is terribly boring. I returned it for store credit.

Interesting live album pick for Dire Straits.

My all time favorite Straits album is "LOVE OVER GOLD." Genius!

• Like 2

I followed Mark´s first two solo albums, but then it got too boring. He played in Rio a few years back and wouldn´t even raise his head to say hello, that was a huge disappointment...nowadays I can´t even get past the full versions of Romeo & Juliet or Brothers in Arms without falling asleep.

I agree. The "Brothers In Arms" album was the first cd that I ever bought back in like 1985. Now in 2012 I can't get into that album at all.

Just put on "Love Over Gold." The album is perfect!

Hey Steve!

Great album and one I overlooked back in the day :cheers:

Hey Steve!

Are we "Brothers In Arms?"

I too overlooked "Love Over Gold" back in the day. To busy blasting Rush and metal I guess!!!

I must have an "Industrial Disease."

Hey Steve!

Are we "Brothers In Arms?"

I too overlooked "Love Over Gold" back in the day. To busy blasting Rush and metal I guess!!!

I must have an "Industrial Disease."

Yeah, there was a lot of metal to consume for a teen back then bud, better late than never though.

I love how Mark really shook up the tones on that album and what about the epic storytelling in Telegraph Road??!! :o holyfeck...I'm wide awake for that shit sir :clap: