Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler

I gotta say i don't see it. I really don't . I never understood why people like /love this band . It's not like i have not listened over the years but i guess it's just not my cup o java

Huge Dire Straits fan. Love the first five albums and Alchemy. On Every Street is good, but I don't like everything on it. I've never really dug too deep into his solo work, but I like what I've heard.
  • Like 1

Not a gigantic fan but do like them/him. He's a very interesting and accomplished guitarist, that's for sure.

Never saw DS but did see Knopfler in Clapton's band in 1988. They did Money For Nothing though the rest of the show was all Clapton stuff.

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ May 23 2012, 03:14 PM)
i'd like to catch him in concert but i never see him in the ny area.

They play at the Beacon when they come here

Making Movies is one of the Ten Best Albums of All-Time.

Their first 4 albums were really good. Telegraph Road is an epic that will blow your mind. Brilliant, brilliant tune.

After that they went pretty pop-mainstream, and I fell off the bandwagon. But I still listen to Making Movies and Love Over Gold quite frequently.

What It Is is a great song. Unfortunately (IMHO) the rest of that album (Sailing to Philadelphia) is slow and weak.

You could go on to iTunes, and buy 15 songs of theirs and make just a spectacular disc.

I saw them on their Brothers in Arms tour at the old Boston Garden. Great show!

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 23 2012, 01:49 PM)
I gotta say i don't see it. I really don't . I never understood why people like /love this band . It's not like i have not listened over the years but i guess it's just not my cup o java

I can see why someone won't like him but you got to admit he's a talented guitarist and songwriter with decent lyrics. On top of that, he doesn't ever use a pick. I don't know, I just prefer this over all other regular rock bands. Knopfler is just full of soul to me.

• Like 1

I love all things Knopfler. The storytelling in his songs can be just amazing, and the tone of his guitar...incredible.

Brothers in Arms, Private Investigations, Planet of New Orleans, Once Upon a Time in the West, Skateaway, Romeo & Juliet are great example of how he can create atmosphere. Then there are songs like Sultans of Swing, Telegraph Road, Tunnel of Love with great guitar work. And then songs like Calling Elvis, Solid Rock, Money For Nothing, In the Gallery, Lady Writer...just amazing grooves.

I hated Dire Straits back in the 80's, no matter where you went you couldn't escape "Money For Nothing", "Walk Of Life", and "So Far Away". The last few years or so I've aquired a handful of their vinyl LP's and I gotta say I really dig the fact that they write long epic-like tracks and they have a really cool vibe.

I still haven't spun my "Brothers In Arms" LP. Too much irreparable radio play damage. Who knows, maybe someday......

I had my daughter go onto iTunes for me, and make my own version of a Dire Straits Greatest Hits disc.

Expresso Love

Lady Writer

Skateaway

Romeo and Juliet

Love Over Gold

What it Is (Knopfler solo)

Tunnel of Love

Telegraph Road

Twisting by the Pool

Solid Rock

Sultans of Swing

Man, they were good before they went all pop.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jun 8 2012, 04:08 PM)
I had my daughter go onto iTunes for me, and make my own version of a Dire Straits Greatest Hits disc.

Expresso Love
Lady Writer
Skateaway
Romeo and Juliet
Love Over Gold
What it Is (Knopfler solo)
Tunnel of Love
Telegraph Road
Twisting by the Pool
Solid Rock
Sultans of Swing

Man, they were good before they went all pop.

No Industrial Disease?