Songs never played live

EDIT: This probably should be in the tour section, my bad 653.gif

Well, Alex basically confirmed in the interview in snowdog2112's thread that they're considering busting out a few tracks never heard live before.

QUOTE (Alex)
We`ve been throwing about set lists for the last couple of weeks and the length of the set is creeping up to over 4 hours so we`ll have to reign it in and fine tune it. There`ll be a good portion of new material and some older stuff that we`ll be revisiting that you haven`t heard in a long time. There`s also a couple that we haven`t played live before that we`re thinking about doing. There`s quite a few in contention for the final set list.

Say they'll play three previously unheard songs. Which songs would you love to hear? Also, what do you think they WILL play?

I really want to hear Everyday Glory, Open Secrets, and Vapor Trail. My guess is that they actually will play Vapor Trail and Cut to the Chase. Not sure why I have this gut feeling Vapor Trail will be busted out cool.gif

Here's the full list:

Take A Friend

Before And After

Making Memories

Rivendell

The Fountain Of Lamneth

Lessons

Tears

Madrigal

Different Strings

Losing It

Emotion Detector

Open Secrets

Second Nature

Tai Shan

High Water

Chain Lighting

Anagram

Red Tide

Hand Over Fist

Available Light

Face Up

The Big Wheel

Heresy

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

Cut To The Chase

Alien Shore

Speed Of Love

Everyday Glory

The Color Of Right

Totem

Dog Years

Carve Away The Stone

Peaceable Kingdom

The Stars Look Down

How It Is

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out Of The Cradle

Bravest Face

Good News First

We Hold On

Edited by SchemingDemon

Not really criticizing your thread but they've done this every single tour now for a while so we didn't really need Alex to tell us this. Plus, no matter what they might be considering now a whole lot of it won't survive rehearsals. Of all the older songs they haven't played the only one I consider realistic would be Different Strings. Now, they could certainly (and likely will) play at least one more old song that hasn't been played in ages like maybe Something For Nothing or In the End but out of that list Different Strings is the only one up through about Vapor Trails that I can see them playing. If they play something like Different Strings and add something that hasn't been played since it was new like The Enemy Within or Prime Mover I'd consider that freaking awesome. Vapor Trail would be a good choice and is realistic but I just can't see them playing any of the vast majority of that list, even Cut to the Chase. I'd love to hear it though.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 21 2012, 09:15 PM)
Available Light. THAT right there is the shit.

Available Light is freaking awesome, but I just don't see it working live. Go listen to it and really pay attention to what you're hearing and then visualize it on stage. Not gonna happen.

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of us have this gut feeling about Vapor Trail. smile.gif

There are so many tunes on that list that I'd love to hear. Some of them don't really stand a chance (e.g., Rivendell, The Fountain of Lamneth). But maybe, just maybe, the band will give some thought to Emotion Detector, Available Light, Alien Shore, or Losing It. Not likely, but maybe. wink.gif

My #1 choice would be The Color of Right, but I just don't see it happening. sad.gif

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ May 21 2012, 09:25 PM)
Seems like a lot of us have this gut feeling about Vapor Trail. smile.gif

There are so many tunes on that list that I'd love to hear. Some of them don't really stand a chance (e.g., Rivendell, The Fountain of Lamneth). But maybe, just maybe, the band will give some thought to Emotion Detector, Available Light, Alien Shore, or Losing It. Not likely, but maybe. wink.gif

My #1 choice would be The Color of Right, but I just don't see it happening. sad.gif

On that list probably my #1, at least from the albums in the last 30 years or so, would be Totem. From older albums it would be Different Strings. Emotion Detector would kick ass, I just think songs like that one and Open Secrets and Losing It are too keyboard heavy for the band to want to do these days, I just don't think they'd be into it. But who knows? They still do some keyboard songs obviously but having never played any of those before I just don't see them relearning all that.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 21 2012, 10:10 PM)
Not really criticizing your thread but they've done this every single tour now for a while so we didn't really need Alex to tell us this. Plus, no matter what they might be considering now a whole lot of it won't survive rehearsals. Of all the older songs they haven't played the only one I consider realistic would be Different Strings. Now, they could certainly (and likely will) play at least one more old song that hasn't been played in ages like maybe Something For Nothing or In the End but out of that list Different Strings is the only one up through about Vapor Trails that I can see them playing. If they play something like Different Strings and add something that hasn't been played since it was new like The Enemy Within or Prime Mover I'd consider that freaking awesome. Vapor Trail would be a good choice and is realistic but I just can't see them playing any of the vast majority of that list, even Cut to the Chase. I'd love to hear it though.

True, I guess reading that interview just sparked my interest in which unplayed songs they'll bring out. I know quite a few of them definitely won't happen (TFOL, Tears, etc) but it's always fun to imagine. I'd say maybe 10 of those on the list are true possibilities.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 21 2012, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 21 2012, 10:10 PM)

True, I guess reading that interview just sparked my interest in which unplayed songs they'll bring out. I know quite a few of them definitely won't happen (TFOL, Tears, etc) but it's always fun to imagine. I'd say maybe 10 of those on the list are true possibilities.

Like I said, I didn't mean that it's not a worthy topic, I just wouldn't get too excited about stuff that isn't realistic. Strangely though, now that I think about it, Tears may not be all that crazy. The way The Garden has been described I could almost see them going from that into Tears. Tears would be awesome with a string section if they do go that route, although I'm still skeptical they'll have real strings on stage.

I'd love Different Strings, Vapor Trail, or We Hold On.

I'm also skeptical about about an orchestra, but if they did, Losing It would be a shame to pass up.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ May 21 2012, 11:25 PM)
Seems like a lot of us have this gut feeling about Vapor Trail.  smile.gif

Count me in on the gut-feeling-about-Vapor-Trail bandwagon! It seems like a pretty popular choice.... it handily won the which-song-off-VT-do-ya-wanna-hear-live? poll.

If they bust it out, I might start bawling like an infant. It's one of my favorites.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 22 2012, 01:05 AM)
Are you sure the list is correct? I could have sworn that I saw Open Secrets played live during the HYF tour.

That's the list I got from the Power Windows site, so I'm assuming it's correct

To be honest, there's only a few songs on the never played list that I'd die to hear anymore. But songs they've only played once or not in twenty years is a goldmine.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 22 2012, 04:37 AM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 22 2012, 01:05 AM)
Are you sure the list is correct? I could have sworn that I saw Open Secrets played live during the HYF tour.

That's the list I got from the Power Windows site, so I'm assuming it's correct

I don't remember hearing it.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 22 2012, 09:02 AM)
To be honest, there's only a few songs on the never played list that I'd die to hear anymore. But songs they've only played once or not in twenty years is a goldmine.

yes.gif

The Enemy Within

Chemistry

Middletown Dreams

Turn The Page

Test For Echo

Ceiling Unlimited

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind hearing (provided Ged can still sing some of them):

Before And After

Making Memories

Lessons

Tears

Different Strings

Losing It

Red Tide

Cut To The Chase (even though I thought this was played during the CP tour)

Alien Shore

Dog Years

How It Is

Bravest Face

Good News First

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 22 2012, 09:36 AM)
Cut To The Chase (even though I thought this was played during the CP tour)

Apparently it never was...and that's a real travesty.

This is certainly my 'Number 1' request personally. This song would kick so much ass live...here's hoping we finally hear this one! 1022.gif

Not many songs I'd like to hear.

I do like Different Strings and Losing It but because Rush have never played them there is a reason. They probably don't want to use samples or playback for the piano and violin respectively.

There are few ok songs though. Cut to the Chase is one of the better songs of Counterparts so I'd like to hear that one. Available Light is allright too. However I hope that the boys pass Presto this time completely. Vapour Trail is never been my favourite. There are better songs in that album and two songs would be too much for that album.

Like others have said I hope they rather play songs that they have not played in long time like The Weapon, Manhattan Project, Prime Mover, Turn the Page, Test for Echo and so on.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 22 2012, 12:05 AM)

Definitely never played live. The Hold Your Fire tour's setlist was completely static which didn't happen again until the R30 tour. It was the exact same set every night and Open Secrets, Second Nature, Tai Shan, and High Water weren't played on that tour or any tour since.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 21 2012, 10:01 PM)

Well, Alex basically confirmed in the interview in snowdog2112's thread that they're considering busting out a few tracks never heard live before.

QUOTE (Alex)
We`ve been throwing about set lists for the last couple of weeks and the length of the set is creeping up to over 4 hours so we`ll have to reign it in and fine tune it. There`ll be a good portion of new material and some older stuff that we`ll be revisiting that you haven`t heard in a long time. There`s also a couple that we haven`t played live before that we`re thinking about doing. There`s quite a few in contention for the final set list.

Say they'll play three previously unheard songs. Which songs would you love to hear? Also, what do you think they WILL play?

I really want to hear Everyday Glory, Open Secrets, and Vapor Trail. My guess is that they actually will play Vapor Trail and Cut to the Chase. Not sure why I have this gut feeling Vapor Trail will be busted out cool.gif

Here's the full list:

Take A Friend

Before And After

Making Memories

Rivendell

The Fountain Of Lamneth

Lessons

Tears

Madrigal

Different Strings

Losing It

Emotion Detector

Open Secrets

Second Nature

Tai Shan

High Water

Chain Lighting

Anagram

Red Tide

Hand Over Fist

Available Light

Face Up

The Big Wheel

Heresy

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

Cut To The Chase

Alien Shore

Speed Of Love

Everyday Glory

The Color Of Right

Totem

Dog Years

Carve Away The Stone

Peaceable Kingdom

The Stars Look Down

How It Is

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out Of The Cradle

Bravest Face

Good News First

We Hold On

Please God and little Baby Jesus with your baby Jesus Einstein developmental make Alex Geddy and Neil forever forget how to play any of these songs.

Please little baby Jesus I want to hear RUSH songs, not album fillers.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 21 2012, 08:01 PM)

QUOTE (Alex)

Here's the full list:

Take A Friend

Before And After

Making Memories

Rivendell

The Fountain Of Lamneth

Lessons

Tears

Madrigal

Different Strings

Losing It

Emotion Detector

Open Secrets

Second Nature

Tai Shan

High Water

Chain Lighting

Anagram

Red Tide

Hand Over Fist

Available Light

Face Up

The Big Wheel

Heresy

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

Cut To The Chase

Alien Shore

Speed Of Love

Everyday Glory

The Color Of Right

Totem

Dog Years

Carve Away The Stone

Peaceable Kingdom

The Stars Look Down

How It Is

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out Of The Cradle

Bravest Face

Good News First

We Hold On

My guess there is a reason they do not play Dog Years!!