2012 Power Metal Album Reviews By Me Myself

Mr. Not

I got the idea of reviewing most of the power metal albums of this year...

I will be listening through them as I review them song by song.

The goal here is to be more emotional about the music than anything else - for music is one of the few things in this world that can fill you with such excitement.

Enjoy, and if you're a power metal fan (or even if not), you probably should check out the songs I give 5 STAR ratings, and most definitely the albums that get 5 STAR ratings, should there be one! (so far, the only album I recall getting a 5 star average is Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side

Edited by Ovningskora

Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name

http://i.imgur.com/aH6xC.jpg

First listening to this album I hated it. It's very different, and comparing it to TDoG & Unia songs, it's very lacking in certain aspects of content. My mind has changed after 8 times listening through. It's not their best album, but it is a good one. This is their heaviest album, and keys seem to take a background in quite a few songs too. Elias' guitar is the loudest in the mix, and at times it can be very bland, that's the consequence of being so heavy. Overall, this album gets an average of 4/5 like all other albums of theirs I've rated except Ecliptica with a 3/5 tongue.gif

Let's listen through now:

(yes, I listen through the album as I review it.. Basically typing as I listen, so my emotions come out, hey-hey!)

1. Only the Broken Hearts

Good way to start off the album. The intro has the chorus played on guitar, like My Selene.

This is very post-RN sonata, sticking true to songs like In Black and White.

don't have much to say other than the bridge after the first chorus is just outstanding!

"You can keep my old umbrella, I'll have my rainy day... Thank you for all the pain. That's all I wanted!"

4 STARS, just great Sonata

2. Shitload of Money

Now, what you need to know about Tony Kakko, is he is a lyrical genius. No one writes like him, some of lines just... Shine. The chorus to this song just plain sucks, the chorus and the chanting during the bridge just ruin what could have been a great song.

Every part other than mentioned above is fantastic. It's experimental, (ex: 2:22 THE WORLD IS NOW FOR SALE MA!) yet sticking to the roots (The guitar / keyboard solo!)

3 STARS, the good & bad weigh each other out.

3. Losing My Insanity

Yet again, Tony digs up old material. Be it because of writer's block or otherwise, it's strange ( and in this case kind of disrespectful maybe, since he wrote it for someone else, then claimed it back)

but honestly, can i complain or actually be mad about this? No, it's a good thing biggrin.gif

"Seems to me in a dream I can do anything, if only dreams world. Losing my insanity, means I'm losing everything."

also, 2 solo sections in this song? Great!

4 STARS, good song

4. Somewhere Close to You

Very heavy and different... This one, I can't say I favor or hate, I just don't really care about it much either way, ha. But the keyboard solo was pretty disappointing

2 STARS, no comment.

5. I Have a Right

Repetitious and Poppy. I've been hearing this one for the longest since it was their single, and I understand why it was.

It's not bad, not great. I have the right to think so.

3 STARS, their single, so it's expected to be average

6. Alone in Heaven

I really like this one! Changes a lot. The intro with the falling bass line and "welcome to heaven" is especially wonderful. All around this song is unique and good. It's another 1-of-a-kind SA song! Rejoice!

"Can this be heaven, if my best friends burn in hell?"

5 STARS, Love it.

7. The Day

A great mystical piano intro... Unfortunately, I believe it's misleading, the song changes into a kind of a... I'm not sure how to categorize it, but from then on the song changes yet again and... I don't know, this one really just feels like a hit and miss to me.

"We build this world together"

2 STARS, it's nothing special.

8. Cinderblox

Oh my god! How in the hell? This song constantly has a banjo in it playing this very cool riff. What an awesome juxtaposition! It surprisingly works, it's folksy heavy metal from Ireland! Then the chorus hits and it's back to classic SA. The keyboard solo is very distorted and fun! And the guitar solo is good too, maybe the best on this album. The follow up is a pretty duet with both keyboard and guitar, cool. Then Tony has his silly fun, and again, it works! Great job on this song.

"Every man here knows you too, We have seen you're every curve. There's no good purpose you serve!"

4 STARS, what a surprise

9. Don't Be Mean

Perhaps this one needs to sink in? I do enjoy it for what it is. It's the album's ballad, and has that elementary message of kindness smile.gif

"To be healed, is that really what we want?"

3 STARS, the ballad

10. Wildfire, Part: II - One With the Mountain

Scottish intro? HELLO

bring on the heavy bashing!

It's Wildfire Part Two alright, burn down your town!

"there's a mountain in the horizon..."

"You were scared!"

"I can take all the blame for the sake of my name"

"You're not foolish but insane, they would die fore me (twice)"

Then comes the very stringy keyboard... Wow!

At 3:41 the beauty really hits. The second part of this song, if you will "But I don't want to dance anymore!"

This song is packed with greatness.

It's progressive SA just as you want it. Wildfire I - III is their first true epic, really.

5:56 is so nice too... My god, can you just listen to this song?

People say they see this a concept album. I could see the ending of this part having ties with "Alone in Heaven" and "Don't be Mean" without a doubt.

4 STARS, Great.

11. Wildfire, Part: III - Wildfire Town, Population: O

What a transition into part 3. That is some strange synth! But I really like it! It reminds me of a double bass pedal, kind of.

"You bring in the machines, FIRE IN THE HOLE!"

"Talk is cheap but the suits are not!"

there is quite a lot of synthetic voices and themes within this, along with sonata of course! 2:26, 2:32

Every time I hear 2:39 I immediately think "Here we go!" Man does this part hype me up. Sonata still have it, they are still the absolute best when it comes to vocal melodies in Power Metal. Good job Tony.

"It's in your blood but your blood runs thin!"

Now we're four minutes in and things transist. Like pt2, pt3 has a beautiful section as well "Slow learn, you are slow to learn", just a beautiful orchestral piece, you can't really capture it, it kind of catches you really.

At 6:36 the song comes to an early end, and we have ambient sounds.. Then the message of wildfire - pro-environmentalism. This is what Sonata is about, Respect the Wilderness, The Cage smile.gif

This is a great song.

5 STARS, One of Sonata's best songs.

>Again, a 4/5 average

Specifics:

70%

Some songs are very good, some are pretty bad or just not amusing really.

It's different than all other Sonata albums in not being constantly busy instrumentally. For some songs this worked, for others it didn't.

Edited by Ovningskora

As much as I want to listen to new Sonata, I really have not enjoyed a release since Reckoning Night. I just cannot get into anyting post RN.

But since you are a fan of Power Metal, you should check out the new Sabaton album, Carolus Rex. It comes out this month and it is super awesome. Actually, all of their stuff is super awesome. Dragonlands most recent album from this year, Under the Grey Banner is probably one of my favorite power metal albums of all time!

cheers!

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ May 19 2012, 01:22 AM)
As much as I want to listen to new Sonata, I really have not enjoyed a release since Reckoning Night. I just cannot get into anyting post RN.

But since you are a fan of Power Metal, you should check out the new Sabaton album, Carolus Rex. It comes out this month and it is super awesome. Actually, all of their stuff is super awesome. Dragonlands most recent album from this year, Under the Grey Banner is probably one of my favorite power metal albums of all time!

cheers!

It's understood. WHG / RN are their best works.

I became a fan at Unia's release, then TDoG seemed strange... And now, SGHN is out, and it's the weirdest of all. But I do like it.

It will be a while before what you have mentioned (and I have not heard the new Dragonland album), but I'm going to go back to January first! I do have my mind on Sabaton's new album too

Pandaemonium - The Last Prayer

http://i.imgur.com/VRqwN.png

Listen to Pandaemonium:

http://www.myspace.com/pandaemoniumofficial/music

Visit Their Webpage:

http://www.pandaemonium.org/

This is the first time I've heard of this band. They're from Italy, and some pretty long moments on this album are calm - not Metal at all! See it as bad or good, it sounds good - so you should see it as good tongue.gif I definitely am reminded of Rhapsody of Fire through this album. I'm not particularity fond of the lead vocalist's voice, but it's still good, just took time to adjust. Overall, this album got a 4

1. Alone in the Dark

Starts calm for the first 1:30, then there comes a pretty crazy guitar riffs! And I can hear the bass great throughout the song, something not heard often in mainstream Power Metal. The bass line differs from the guitar riffs pretty well - the bass is just not the constant root for guitar chords here. Bassist's name is Lorenzo.

2:23 some very high backing vocals come in, sound good along with the lead vocalist.

"Something has changed in the era of night"

4:25 That's one hell of a solo. Seriously, these guys know what they're doing.

The song fades out with some pretty classical piano playing.

4 STARS, good first impression

2. Two Spirits One Heart

A relatively slow paced guitar riff for this intro, but very melodic and mystical too so no complaints.

1:25 unlike the last song, the backing vocals are low here. I dont know who does these, but they fit well and really set the mood.

2:23 can already tell Steve has no shortage on good guitar solos.

This seems like a love song, and went by very fast.

3 STARS, solid song

3. Through the Wind

Now this song is questionable, the chorus is very repetitive and the lead vocalist Daniel sounds very "snot nosed" all the sudden and it's not the best sound.

2:15 ladies and gents, we have synth tongue.gif

Hmm.. Honestly I didn't like this one too much

2 STARS, nothing much here

4. Holy Voice

An acoustic song? Sounds great smile.gif

"This cage is cold and dirty ... And I can't breathe"

At 2:23 beauty strikes, yep.

The chorus is pretty good, has some suspense actually

And would you believe it? This song has an acoustic guitar solo tongue.gif Still very fast too

4 STARS, nice ballad

4. Tower of Fears

Epic battle march synth in the intro!

0:55 keys play a good part in this song.

1:05 we have a return to the intro theme, but now with some crazy bass playing going on as well! It's really good!

2:39 again with amazing bass! I've never heard a bass solo like this, really!

I need some lyrics, I could judge the vocals better.. But yes, the melody is good and pretty intense here too actually

4 STARS, the Bass / Keys surprised me.

6. The White Voice

That's an epic neo-classical beginning, with an acoustic guitar on lead along with bass smile.gif

0:39 "I hide my tears in the rain"

0:59 the intro returns, and we have some scream vocals as the background! I know on the website Daniel's main inspiration is Blind Guardian, but since they're Italian they're just like Rhapsody really!

2 minutes in and there's some strange lyrical melody overlapping with chants.. Best way I can explain it tongue.gif

Like all other songs, this has a guitar solo, fast fast fast.

And thus this song ends much like it starts. The chorus vocals are opera, and almost sound female!

3 STARS, cool song.

7. Go Your Own Way

A marching intro. I like how in much of Power metal the intros say much about the song smile.gif

"Hold my Angel, save me from myself" And there's a music box like sound being played.

1:58ish we have a marching-like guitar riff, then a quick solo!

2:50 we have "Go Your Own Way!"

Then around 3:20 we have scream vocals leading ohmy.gif

This song is epic.

4 STARS, epic

8. Today

This song progresses like any great power metal song does

Along with a quick guitar solo 2:20 in is some very fast bass playing, which isn't uncommon I easily noticed

Again, a nice variety of vocal sounds on this track, and I'm starting to think it's all Daniel.

4 STARS, another epic

9. Braveheart

This song mentions the four elements in opera for the intro this time smile.gif

Then the instrumentals come in and I'm reminded of Wintersun, truly!

0:39 Wow, cool! 0:55 My god!

There's some guitar playing in this song, that's for sure!

"Rain and fire always trying to fight"

the whole middle of this song is guitar soloing

2:43 there is silence, and then comes acoustic.

5 STARS, Epic meter went very high!

Epitaph

Instrumental? Yep, this is definitely instrumental.

All the awesome imagery that is going on in my head as I listen to this biggrin.gif

4 STARS, This is a useful song

Until the End

Now they're wrapping it all up, eh?

The longest song on the album 2nd to Alone in the Dark, the first track.

"Now I fight for eternal glory!" chanting! lots of vocals layered.

There's more symphony going on here than anything else for the first minute, but rest assured the band comes in and it's just epic. I know, I'm saying epic quite a lot now, right? There's a great strumming pattern here though.

4 STARS, fine way to end the album.

>4/5 average

But to be specific:

74%

Not a masterpiece per se, but a consistently good album. Good for any Symonic / Epic Power Metal fan

Good to know rooted Power Metal is still breathing here in 2012!

Edited by Ovningskora

Krossfire - Learning to Fly

http://i.imgur.com/c8i67.jpg

Krossfire's Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Krossfire-Bu...ia/100331618465

Listen to Album Samples:

Aah, another fresh album by another band new to me.

The drumming stands out as very good (especially for power metal), and this band is supposedly epic/prog power metal.

I'm sure there's a concept in this album.

This album had no lengthy or prog songs, but at time the time signatures could be really interesting.

The pace was also very interesting, there would be a lot of very slow riffs and choppy drum beats, at times it felt as if I were at the edge of a cliff.

The filler (Visions, Icaria) are what I like more than the actual songs tongue.gif

though they are content-filled no doubt, but in ways I see them as an excuse to put in a track, hence filler.

There's are instrumental, epic, and don't have the band playing much - just the strings, mainly.

These songs I especially liked since I pictured myself on top of scotland's cuillin mountains.

This is not to say the band's actual music isn't good - it's fine.

The vocalists voice, I like, but the melodies are a bit lacking. The songs are well produced and decent, but nothing to write home about.

Dream Theater would often come to mind while I listened to certain parts of these songs,

if they took these quick fills they have and extended them for 2 minutes, they could be even more so like DT, but they don't and that's nice - they don't waste your time tongue.gif

I enjoyed this album to an extent, it's really got it's ups, but again - its downs truly are the vocal melodies, not good for Power Metal.

I was out of the house so I listened to this album twice while on the run,

which is the reason for this condensed review. Here's the rating of ea song:

http://i.imgur.com/13Dym.png

>3/5 average

66%

Not my style, but others may like it.

Edited by Ovningskora

Note: I dl'ed an album by a wannabe nightwish band (Voices Of Destiny - Power Drive) listened to two songs, and even the title track was crud. I couldn't stand to review, which is why it's not here. I don't like nightwish or it's following bands, and don't consider power metal. Also worth noting, dragonforce sucks too. The band members are cocky douches and they aren't capable of cleanly playing what they write. They are complete shit and an insult to music in general.

Thanks for the reviews! Great so far.... I'm looking forward to more.

I've always been a huge Nightwish fan and a hesitant Sonata Arctica one but beyond that my knowledge of power metal is nil. I'd like to expand my listening in this genre.... along with symphonic, it's easily my favorite type of metal.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 19 2012, 10:37 PM)

I've always been a huge Nightwish fan and a hesitant Sonata Arctica one but beyond that my knowledge of power metal is nil. I'd like to expand my listening in this genre.... along with symphonic, it's easily my favorite type of metal.

hmm... well, as I just said I'm not particularly fond of NW biggrin.gif but there are some really great Symphonic Power Metal bands you should know of!

Here's the two most important, and a couple of live songs to support them (though these are just gateways)

Rhapsody of Fire - Triumph or Agony:

Blind Guardian - Time Stands Still:

Nearly all the reviews in this thread will be of rather obscure power metal musicians - most I haven't even heard of. This thread is particularly useful those who are already fans of all the big PM bands and are curious for more. Not a big population of TRF tongue.gif but surely those who google search?

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ May 20 2012, 02:17 AM)

hmm... well, as I just said I'm not particularly fond of NW biggrin.gif but there are some really great Symphonic Power Metal bands you should know of!

Here's the two most important, and a couple of live songs to support them (though these are just gateways)

Nearly all the reviews in this thread will be of rather obscure power metal musicians - most I haven't even heard of. This thread is particularly useful those who are already fans of all the big PM bands and are curious for more. Not a big population of TRF tongue.gif but surely those who google search?

Whoops, didn't read that last post. tongue.gif FWIW, I don't like Nightwish since Anette came onboard, but I love all their work with Tarja. So I guess I'm a Nightwish fan-in-exile. tongue.gif

LOL.... the singer in that first video sounds a hell of a lot like James LaBrie. Didn't care for that much.

I like the second song.... this band definitely merits further investigation.

Thanks for the suggestions!

And yes, Dragonforce is clearly complete shit.

P.S. You say you don't like Nightwish, but have you seen this concert? It blows me away every time. yes.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 19 2012, 11:33 PM)
P.S. You say you don't like Nightwish, but have you seen this concert? It blows me away every time. yes.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndU507o_Uyw

No, but I did see their DVD with Tarja and have listened to most of their albums.

The problem with the band is Emppu for his very boring guitar playing and tarja/ann since I simply don't like female vocals.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 20 2012, 01:31 AM)
QUOTE (Ovningskora @ May 20 2012, 02:17 AM)

Whoops, didn't read that last post. tongue.gif FWIW, I don't like Nightwish since Anette came onboard, but I love all their work with Tarja. So I guess I'm a Nightwish fan-in-exile. tongue.gif

LOL.... the singer in that first video sounds a hell of a lot like James LaBrie. Didn't care for that much.

I like the second song.... this band definitely merits further investigation.

Thanks for the suggestions!

And yes, Dragonforce is clearly complete shit.

Blind Guardian is perhaps my favorite power metal band of all time. They really started to shine, to me, once they released A Night At The Opera. That album is sheer briliance! Their latest effort, At The Edge of Time, is probably one of the greatest power metal albums made of all time.

Check out Dragonland. Their latest album, Under The Grey Banner is extremely well done, and it tells a story that was started with the first Dragonland album, Battle on the Ivory Plains. They even have an album with a Science Fiction theme, Astronomy. Dragonland is definitely worth checking out.

Some other notables include: Pathfinder - Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time,

Dream Evil - Dragonslayer. A side note with that one, it is very tongue-in-cheek, but nonetheless a rocking album!

Any album by Sabaton. They have a lot of songs that deal with wars and battles.

Rock on friend!