Oldest Fan

Birmingham Odeon 3/06/77

Hmmm....I normally would never recommend Hemispheres for a beginner, but if you want to impress someone who has been around for a while, chances are the more popular albums won't stand out much, despite being complex. I would actually say Hemispheres.

Chronicles.

My step daughters are into music (12 and 8 yrs old) and are constantly amazing my wife and me with their interest in classic rock. They know we like Rush, listen to them, watch the DVDs... But the songs that they remember are the "hits", and not because we tell them they are -- there is a reason those songs are "hits". The songs those girls know and sing along to whenever we have the iPod going or a DVD of one of their shows on are: Tom Sawyer; Closer to the Heart; Fly by Night; Stick it Out; The Trees ...

So I say start there.

Edited by wilb1972

I'd say Moving Pictures, just because it's Rush's most popular album and you have the greatest chance of hooking him on Rush. wink.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 18 2012, 03:59 PM)
I'd say Moving Pictures, just because it's Rush's most popular album and you have the greatest chance of hooking him on Rush. wink.gif

I agree. Either Moving Pictures or a compilation of their best stuff. I wouldn't give him any of the extreme stuff, like Cygnus X-1 or By-Tor....... ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 18 2012, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 18 2012, 03:59 PM)
I'd say Moving Pictures, just because it's Rush's most popular album and you have the greatest chance of hooking him on Rush.  wink.gif

I agree. Either Moving Pictures or a compilation of their best stuff. I wouldn't give him any of the extreme stuff, like Cygnus X-1 or By-Tor....... ohmy.gif

If he's 86 and he becomes a big fan based on Cygnus or By-Tor, then I'd like to meet THAT guy! yes.gif tongue.gif

i had a similar conversation with my Pops about six months ago. he's 75 next month.

i burned him a cd of all my favorite Rush songs. some old, some new and an instrumental or two!

he really liked it. then said, i still like Van Halen better.

now, don't get me wrong...i really like Van Halen and think the new album is one of their best. but i fear Pops has finally gone around the bend.

QUOTE (Bone Roller @ May 18 2012, 02:59 PM)
i had a similar conversation with my Pops about six months ago.  he's 75 next month.

i burned him a cd of all my favorite Rush songs.  some old, some new and an instrumental or two!

he really liked it.  then said, i still like Van Halen better.

now, don't get me wrong...i really like Van Halen and think the new album is one of their best.  but i fear Pops has finally gone around the bend.

yes.gif

Sorry for your father's dementia.

laugh.gif

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (Bone Roller @ May 18 2012, 04:59 PM)
i had a similar conversation with my Pops about six months ago. he's 75 next month.

i burned him a cd of all my favorite Rush songs. some old, some new and an instrumental or two!

he really liked it. then said, i still like Van Halen better.

now, don't get me wrong...i really like Van Halen and think the new album is one of their best. but i fear Pops has finally gone around the bend.

How are things working out for VH confused13.gif rofl3.gif

I played Manhattan Project for my husband's 76 year old step. He has a PhD in nuclear physics so I thought the subject matter would interest him. He got very excited, telling me how the real Manhattan Project was what got him into nuclear physics in the first place.

Funny thought though is that at 76 years old now, he was 38 years old, exactly half his current age, when Rush first came out 38 years ago, but had never heard of them because he never got into rock music of any sort.

What type of music does he like? My choices, depending on what music he is prone to listening to, would be AFTK, PerW, or HYF as they have some less energetic options.

On the other hand, don't take my advice because I have never been able to turn someone on to Rush.

A compilation might be your best bet. As previously mentioned, the hits were hits for a reason. Good luck!