Hobbies

Most of this is now theoretical until I get my health back:

gardening, but only stuff you can eat. Asparagus to zucchini

Reading

Sightseeing (I'm currently in love with Utah but there's a lot more of the West I'd like to see)

Going to the beach

All things fibre & textile related. I spin, knit, sew, quilt, wish I could weave, do needlepoint

Genealogy

Movies

Australian Rules Football

Music of most any pop or rock genre. Don't like thrash metal or female divas who try to hold notes for eons

• Like 3

Comic books

I haven't yet decided if you're this cat..

http://popculture.mearsonlineauctions.com/ItemImages/000045/45651a_lg.jpeg

...or this one...

http://www.writeups.org/wp-content/uploads/Tigra-Greer-Nelson-Marvel-Comics-3-h.jpg

Meow! :D

Sightseeing (I'm currently in love with Utah but there's a lot more of the West I'd like to see)

Which parts have you seen?

Salt Lake City south to Kanab, the major parks (Zion and Bryce Canyon), and lots of "I wonder where this road goes" in central and southern. Been as far east as Escalante but haven't made it to Moab yet.

• Like 1

Salt Lake City south to Kanab, the major parks (Zion and Bryce Canyon), and lots of "I wonder where this road goes" in central and southern. Been as far east as Escalante but haven't made it to Moab yet. I think it's all beautiful and as soon as I can sightsee without sitting in a car, I'll be back.

• Like 1

Salt Lake City south to Kanab, the major parks (Zion and Bryce Canyon), and lots of "I wonder where this road goes" in central and southern. Been as far east as Escalante but haven't made it to Moab yet.

Moab is awesome. We spend a few days in Escalante every year because it's centrally located to a lot of diverse environments. It's within ten miles of pine forests, sandstone desert, and Moqui villages.

Moab is also a must see.

Edited by workingcinderellaman

I was REALLY Into collecting "airchecks" for a while. "Aircheck" is an industry term for radio broadcasts. Got 'em from different parts of the US, but mostly NY and LA, from the 60s through the 80s. And a few on either side of that.

Is that with a Ham radio?

• Like 1

I was REALLY Into collecting "airchecks" for a while. "Aircheck" is an industry term for radio broadcasts. Got 'em from different parts of the US, but mostly NY and LA, from the 60s through the 80s. And a few on either side of that.

No... actually this is standard FM/AM stations... Lots of old Top 40 and rock (including the time when rock radio was more "free/Progressive" and wasn't necesarily tied down to a limited playlist). I am guessing that most people taped these onto cassettes or Reel-to-reel.

• Like 2

No... actually this is standard FM/AM stations... Lots of old Top 40 and rock (including the time when rock radio was more "free/Progressive" and wasn't necesarily tied down to a limited playlist). I am guessing that most people taped these onto cassettes or Reel-to-reel.

I have a couple of old Tom Donahue broadcasts, from about 1970. They were legit broadcasts, though, rather than airchecks.

Cool hobby, though!

• Like 1

I have a couple of old Tom Donahue broadcasts, from about 1970. They were legit broadcasts, though, rather than airchecks.

Cool hobby, though!

yeah! it's fun!

I have at least one Donahue, as there was one released as a CD called "The Golden Age of Underground Radio". It's a wonderful mix of his voice, songs, and ads :)

WRT their legitimacy, I know I said above that people taped them off the radio themselves... but some of these definitely were from DJs personal archives too. I guess saving one of your own "airchecks" would be an aural resume for getting hired at another radio station...

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 1

I didn't know that was a hobby. In South America back in the 80's, people made recordings of songs on the radio and sold them on the street so radio stations would give their identity in the middle of songs. It was sort of funny to me but I would love to hear one today. There was this station called San Sebastian and I can still hear "San Sebastion" in my head being announced in the middle of "Money for Nothing".

Edited by workingcinderellaman
  • Like 1

Cool hobby, though!

yeah! it's fun!

I have at least one Donahue, as there was one released as a CD called "The Golden Age of Underground Radio". It's a wonderful mix of his voice, songs, and ads :)

WRT their legitimacy, I know I said above that people taped them off the radio themselves... but some of these definitely were from DJs personal archives too. I guess saving one of your own "airchecks" would be an aural resume for getting hired at another radio station...

I believe I have that Underground Radio release, too. :cheers:

I have an old broadcast or two of my own, too- from a loooong time ago. I never used them to try to get a job, though.

:huh:

• Like 1