3 songs you'd love to see live

The Owl

I know we've seen "songs you'd love to see live" threads many times, but I got a few stipulations that may make this unique...hope these can keep stipulations can keep this thread from being redundant.

1. Time Length matters: you get 3 picks for songs you'd love to see, but if one of your songs is between 8 and 14 minutes.. that counts as 2 of your picks.... if it is >14min it counts as all 3..

2. I know I cant make this happen, but explain why you picked the track and why'd you like to hear it

3. State where in the setlist you'd like or expect it to appear.

4. Give, in your own opinion, the "Likelihood rating" to your choices, try to score your song (from 1 to 5 I guess, 5 being the high end,) of how likely or plausible your choice will be or ever be played live...or even if it still could be...

5. No need to put your choices in order of "The Songs you'd like to see from the one you want the most to least most" or visa versa, but it's an idea.

---------------------------------MY PICKS---------------------------------

I am gonna order these .... Songs that I'd like to see Rush play live the most..

- #3: Here Again (Likelihood rating: 3.5 / Setlist Placement: Early-Mid 2nd Set)

Not too sure If this has ever been played live, but I this track is my favorite off the debut, and I would go crazy to see this song live. And if they were ever gonna do something off the debut that is not "Working Man" I think this might be a choice the boys would go for... or at least I'd hope so. It's got a nice groove and great playing.....

- #2: Losing It (Likelihood rating: 2 (at best)/ Setlist Placement: Mid 1st set)

I would lose my mind if this were ever to pull this out of the vault, never played live, and one of the most over ignored Rush tracks ever... it is beautiful and moving... unfortunately I don't think this would stand a good chance of fruition... The reason being the violins on this....They are beautiful on album, and I'd hate to see them just synthesize them (though if it still meant seeing the song, I'd still be okay with it), and they will not bring a guest musician on stage to play the part... but one can dream..

I chose mid 1st set because that seems to be where they do the "vault tracks" live in the past few tours. This song is almost my #1 pick, virtually tied with my actual #1 pick, but Id nudge that track slightly above "Losing It"

- #1: In The End (Likelihood rating: 4 / Setlist Placement: End of Set 2 (not an encore))

This wins out just above "Losing It" because I think this would fit in slightly better within a live setting... I love this song, it is one of my all time favorites , favorite for sure off the first 3 albums... The acoustic opening, the powerful 2nd half, would make a great close to the show proper (not including the encore)... As far as I know it has not been played since the 2112 tour (as it is on ATWAS), and would be a great old track to be brought back. The track as it was might be out of Geddy's current vocal range, but that could be remedied by no more than dropping the song down a bit... but I could die happy seeing this live..

So those are my picks, if even of 1 of these were to be picked I would be more than satisfied, not to mention if more than 1 were to appear.....

So what are your picks, you don't have to do as long of a rightup as I did.

Edited by The Owl

Middletown Dreams, Show Don't Tell, Cut to the Chase!

They've never been recorded on DVD and Cut to the Chase has never been played and it's possibly the best track on CP!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

How about these....

Losing It (likelihood: not likely/ setlist placement: end of set 1)

Pretty obvious why I'd want to hear it.... mindblowingly awesome. I think it would be great if Alex improvised a crazy delay-laden guitar solo in place of the violin solo.

Different Strings (likelihood: way not likely/ setlist placement: Early set 2)

This song is one of my favorites and it showcases Rush songwriting and production at its finest. Its one of their slower moments, but it never bores me. The band plays so tight with each member showcasing their subtlety. Neils work on the high hat with the crisp snare hits gets me every time. I think this would totally work live because its well within Ged's range, but you know its not gonna happen. Oh, and Al's guitar solo at the end ranks up there with some of his best work. If only they could extend it somehow... maybe by playing it live!

Available Light (likelihood: not a frickin' chance/ setlist placement: NA)

Just one of those amazingly emotional sounding songs that create a mood that no other song can. Great solo by Alex. Awesome chorus with the climactic high note "IN the available light", which would also be the reason why I think they would never play it. Anyways its an absolute stand-alone track that is vastly different from anything else they've ever done in their career. I would kill to experience this song live

So you can see the trend I went with for my 3, which would be the production pieces that are severely unlikely to be performed live. There's a lot more badass songs that I would love to hear live, but I feel that these songs need more representation in threads like this one. Sorry if I wrote an entire essay. When it comes to Rush I can just go on forever.

common001.gif

SWEET MIRACLE: High possibility (4). A good, short, rocking, choice for an early 1st set piece - but not an intro. A newer song and, as far as I know, never been played live, but it's a great RUSH song.

CHEMISTRY: Low to mid possibility (2) but a great piece from the keyboard era. A good 1st or 2nd set replacement in the spirit of Subdivisions, Between the Wheels, Big Money, etc.

DIFFERENT STRINGS: I'm hoping the possibility is high (5) with this unpolished gem but it's most likely a (1). A late 2nd set or encore placement would be great. I really think, if done right, it could be a great (lengthy) atmospheric piece in the spirit of La Villa or Xanadu.

I also think all these songs could fit in with the stated theme of this tour.

- #3: SOMETHING FOR NOTHING (Likelihood rating: 2.5 / Setlist Placement: Opener of 2nd Set)

I always imagined that this song would be a really cool second set opener. I know they usually like to start with a 'bang'...something loud, but those soft notes that open Something For Nothing would be sure to get the crowd going. It may be forgotten at times, but it's still a Rush classic, and since it hasn't been played in ions, the crowd would be fired up. I know I would be.

I ranked the likelihood as a 2.5. The extra .5 is based on the fact that it is a classic that would surely please the crowd. However, it has to stay on the low end of 2 given that this one is quite beyond Ged's 2012 vocal range (though he manages to do 'Temples' still).

- #2: OPEN SECRETS (Likelihood rating: 1 / Setlist Placement: Beginning/Mid 2nd set)

It's my favourite song on HYF, and it has never been played live. Yes, it's a "slower" song, but I think it would work nicely in a live setting. Al's guitar parts are so melodic and emotional, and I think that would really come off great to the audience. It's probably as "deep" a cut as Rush could pull out.

Based on my rating, you can see that I'm not holding out much hope for it. I simply don't see them having enough passion to bring this one out this late in the game. They haven't played it up to this point, so I don't see it likely. The only thing going for it is that the vocal range for Ged is still there.

- #1: CUT TO THE CHASE (Likelihood rating: 4 / Setlist Placement: Mid/Late Set 1)

Everything about this song screams LIVE. Yet, it's somehow never been played on any tour...including the CP Tour. This one makes me shake my head constantly. It really is about time they bring this one back. When the boys are making setlist plans, and looking through each album, what in the world makes them skip this one?

I'm holding out hope that this is the tour that we will finally see this one. This one still lands easily in Ged's vocal range, and I really don't see any reason why it couldn't be played outside of the boys' desire to do so.

lovin touchin squeezin

any way you want it

don't stop believing....omg !! so sorry i thought this was the Journey forum..my bad.

1. Fly By Night - Why? Because they haven't played it live since 1970 something (1977 I believe, but expect and hope to be corrected) - Where? Just after an Overture that rocks just as hard as the R30 Overture. (See how I sneaked in a 4th selection?? ph34r.gif )

2. Anthem - Why? Well, I like that song. Where? At the end of the first set.

3. Countdown - Why? Why not? Where - Final song of the show (last encore)

2.gif

Edited by tripdad

1. A Farewell To Kings

2. Jacob's Ladder

3. Losing It

Likelihood of any of these? Well, maybe Jacob's Ladder...lotta Ladder chatter about that the past few years.

But even though I realize they play amphitheaters mostly, and it's not completely dark when they start, I still think the ultimate moment would be if they OPEN WITH XANADU. That would be killer.

trink39.gif

Really tough. Rush batttles between keeping the Die-hards happy by playing more obscure stuff, and keeping the casual fan happy with all the popular songs. All the while learning to play new stuff live and making that work. They can only play so much. I also think they feel they did a tour with R30 that addressed playing a lot of old stuff. If they play the entire or majority of the new album even regular mainstays will get left out so I don't see them pulling numerous old songs out to re-learn along with all the new material. With that said, I'll give it a whirl.

Early on they tend to play a couple slower type songs to appease fans and keep the girls happy, like Ghost or Entre Nous. Substitutes this time I would find intriguing would be Lakeside Park, Making Memories (so awesome .005 chance though) or from HYF, Open Secrets or Second Nature. Hold your Fire has many songs fans clamor for besides those two like Prime Mover and Turn the Page, but they always play Mission, Force Ten and TST. Will they switch it up? Nah.

1. Lakeside Park 3.0 chance

GUP is usually represented by DEW which means it is "dew" to come back. They did reach back in the vault and rework Between the Wheels to make it a fan favorite once though. Will they do it again? Let's hope.

2. Kid Gloves 2.5 chance

I think Kid Gloves would play well live as opposed to many other songs often suggested. Catchy lyrics and the song has punch.

From the extreme vault it gets tough and unlikely from here, but I like Owl and the idea of the this thread, besides who doesn't like to dream?

From Rush-RUSH we only get medleys or Working Man. Would they pull out Finding my Way, In the Mood, Take a Friend or even Need some Love? No.

On Fly by Night we get ByTor but this was an immensely popular album in the day due to the lead song, would they reprise it? Could it be an obscure but awesome Best I Can? Or the ever popular Anthem? Don't know if there is a reason they stopped but I could see

3. Fly By Night 3.5 chance

If there is one popular but unplayed stretch of songs they have missed it would have to be,

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

Territories

Middletown Dreams

Emotion Detector

Open Secrets

Second Nature

Prime Mover

Lock And Key

Turn The Page

Open Secrets (chances: 2/5)

Beautifully-crafted song that I think will sound amazing live. The problem is that I don't think they realize how good it really is.

placement: near end of first set

Vapor Trail (chances: 3/5)

This has an epic sound to it that should be head live. And it should have already been played. And I want to see Peart pull off this incredible drumming night after night. But that may also be a reason they haven't played it. And they might simply be done with Vapor Trails songs at this point...

placement: middle of first set

Afterimage (chances: 2/5)

Heavier sounding version of this song will seriously kick-ass. Will they play this over DEW or Red Sector A? Highly unlikely.

placement: middle of second set

1) The Enemy Within (4/5)

2) A Farewell to Kings (0/5) fists crying.gif

3) Red Lenses (2/5)

I don't think AFTK will EVER be played live again unfortunately! I do think TEW could be at some point though. They're all great songs which deserve some stage time.

Subdivisions

Bravado

Distant Early Warning

The Atlanta show will be my first Rush show, ever, so I'd love to hear these. Are these never, sometimes, or always done live???

QUOTE (Aikenrooster @ May 24 2012, 09:21 PM)
Subdivisions
Bravado
Distant Early Warning

The Atlanta show will be my first Rush show, ever, so I'd love to hear these. Are these never, sometimes, or always done live???

Subdivisions always, the other two sometimes, but not in the past few years so they might be due.

2.gif

Here is an idea. Afterimage with the backdrop showing still black and white photos of Neil's deceased family. Oh and fog machines.

I know I'm going to hell for that one. firedevil.gif

But seriously people you think they would play Afterimage after Neil's shit hit the fan? That song just hits way too close to home for him.

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ May 26 2012, 12:53 PM)
Here is an idea. Afterimage with the backdrop showing still black and white photos of Neil's deceased family. Oh and fog machines.

I know I'm going to hell for that one. firedevil.gif

But seriously people you think they would play Afterimage after Neil's shit hit the fan? That song just hits way too close to home for him.

LOLOL Dude thats f*cked UP! laugh.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 16 2012, 10:52 PM)
Middletown Dreams, Show Don't Tell, Cut to the Chase!

They've never been recorded on DVD and Cut to the Chase has never been played and it's possibly the best track on CP!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

We agree on 2 out of 3. Show Don't Tell and CTTC would both send me right through the arena roof.

My third would send the entire crowd into orbit: Analog Kid cool.gif

Losing It-- Likelihood 4/5. I believe there will be a string section accompanying the band this tour. We have all heard the rumors, and heard of the band's interest in doing this at some point in their future. I think if ever a time, its now. It is one of the most beautiful songs Rush has ever written, and it would be wonderful to see it tacked on, say after The Garden is played, or maybe late in the first set after the Orchestra is introduced...

Jacob's Ladder-- Likelihood 4/5. There was a lot of talk this would be played on the last tour, and it wasn't. I feel it's time for this little Gem to appear. This song is perfect for strings...give a listen to this to get the idea: http://www.amazon.com/Exit-Stage-Right-Qua...38809271&sr=8-1 and it would also be wonderful to play before or after the Clockwork Angels portion of the concert...

Middletown Dreams--Likelihood 2/5. Awesome song. It would lend well to a string section throughout the middle parts of the song, but what I envision much more likely will be a string section accompanying the redone version of Closer to The Heart. Likelihood 4/5. This would be a beautiful way to do this song and it would be such a nice change to this tune. Maybe as an encore.

Edited by vital signz