Rush Album Listening Contest!

Animate

Just gonna fly through a few albums now, with some thoughts on each.

Presto

A nice album. Not my favourite, but far from my least favourite. Presto is a beautiful song, and Show Don't Tell is a great opener. Available Light is fantastic, an opinion I know I share with many people on this board. I do like Superconductor though. I know plenty of people don't, but I just think it's a fun little song. I like The Pass, one of the stronger tracks on the record for me. As I've said, the title track is a wonderful song, and it was great live on the Time Machine Tour. Let's hope more gems like this can be dug up for the CA tour.

Roll The Bones

Not everyone's favourite album, and certainly not mine. It would be in the bottom quarter of my album rankings easily, but it's the sort of album you don't listen to for a while, then revisit it once and enjoy it. The rap in the title track isn't the best, but it's not meant to be. It's just Rush not taking themselves too seriously, as they have done all their career. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Not much to write about other than that, Bravado's an OK song once in a while, and Where's My Thing is a good instrumental, but nothing like the Rush instrumentals of old.

Counterparts

Love this album. Rush are back being a rock band again. They found their sound again on this album, after moving slowly away from the synths over the last two albums. Animate is a great way to open the album, Stick It Out is a fantastic heavier song, not a commonplace thing with Rush back then. Other highlights for me include the genius Leave That Thing Alone, and it's successor on the album, Cold Fire. Honourable mention to Nobody's Hero, which is a bit strange lyrically, but it tells a stark, honest story, and at least they had the balls to record it and put it on a record.

Ratings

Ratings

Rush 7/10

FBN 8/10

CoS 4.5/10

2112 10/10

AFTK 8.5/10

Hemispheres 9.5/10

Permanent Waves 8/10

Moving Pictures 11/10

Signals 10/10

Grace Under Pressure 9/10

Power Windows 8/10

Hold Your Fire 8.25/10

Presto 7/10

Roll The Bones 5/10

Counterparts 9/10

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Jun 16 2012, 05:11 AM)
Thank you Animate, for coming up with the idea in the first place. It was a lot of fun listening to the albums pre-CA, and I'm going to finish T4E through S&A, and then a full track by track review of Clockwork Angels once I'm done!  1022.gif

Thanks for joining! I got a little behind! Mostly cause I was listening to CA so much!

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Am going to see about getting the certificate uploaded. May take a while. Not so clever about these things. angry.gif sad.gif smile.gif laugh.gif

Also, if you finish more albums in the next couple of days, I can still update!

Edited by Animate

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o586/animate2112/AwardCertificate2.jpg

Yay! I managed to upload an image! Would rather have the .pdf file linked though, cause it is a higher resolution.

2.gif trink39.gif 2.gif trink39.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

Edited by Animate

Thank you Animate, for coming up with the idea in the first place. It was a lot of fun listening to the albums pre-CA, and I'm going to finish T4E through S&A, and then a full track by track review of Clockwork Angels once I'm done! 1022.gif

goodpost.gif

Agreed!!!!

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 16 2012, 06:47 AM)
Thank you Animate, for coming up with the idea in the first place. It was a lot of fun listening to the albums pre-CA, and I'm going to finish T4E through S&A, and then a full track by track review of Clockwork Angels once I'm done!  1022.gif

goodpost.gif

Agreed!!!!

Thanks for the bootleg site and info!

I am going to start going through them, first the albums you listed here, and then branch out!

Is the 5th Order of Angles/ ABC1974 considered to be the best bootleg?

The reviews I posted earlier on are from the albums I listened to yesterday. I have listened to the last 3 albums today, and here are the last 3 reviews, before the big CA one!

Test For Echo

Another album that isn't a fan favourite, and again I'd have to agree with the majority and say it's not the best. However, it's opening tracks are excellent. The title track, and album opener, is a great way to start the album. Soft intro with that catchy vocal, before kicking in into a heavier riff, then slowing again for the vocal, and so on. Driven is better than the title track, and it is very high up in my Rush song ranking. I love this song. The riff to open it, the sentiment of the song (I'm a big car fan), it's just got it all. Great stuff. Half The World isn't bad either, but it goes downhill rapido after that, and stuff like Dog Years is just painful to listen to. What was Neil thinking when he wrote that, or even Geddy and Alex for accepting it as a viable lyric! This album simply isn't the Rush we all know and love, and for that reason, it will never rank above the bottom quarter of albums for me.

Vapor Trails

After all Neil had gone through prior to this album, Vapor Trails is an album that almost never existed. I'm very glad it did though. Yes, the mix is poor, resulting in a seriously affected listening experience, but there are good songs on it nonetheless. One Little Victory is a barnstorming way to start the album off, that drum intro is simply incredible. The whole album is relatively heavy compared to previous albums, and I like that, so this album sits well with me. Secret Touch is another top class song, as is Ghost Rider and Freeze. Mixing lets this album down though, which is a crying shame, and I hope it will be remixed, as is the promise, and I can change my opinion on this album.

Snakes & Arrows

The most recent effort up until Clockwork Angels, and not exactly loved by many. On the flip side though, this album is a very high ranker for many. It sits midtable for me. Far Cry is a very good way to start off, and Armor and Sword is another winner. I like Faithless, and The Main Monkey Business isn't a bad instrumental, but not YYZ/La Villa class. Malignant Narcissism, however, is. What a fantastic song this is, especially so considering it clocks in at under 2 and a half minutes. The musicianship they include in this is brilliant, and I'd like to thank Fender for sending Geddy the Jaco Pastorius fretless bass that he accidentally wrote the song on! We Hold On is, I think, another good song, and a neat way to finish off the album. Despite this late revival, the album is heavily frontloaded, with 4 of the top 5 songs for me in the first half. Still, this is not a bad album, far from it, but it lacks the heaviness in the most part that I like from Rush.

The reviews I posted earlier on are from the albums I listened to yesterday. I have listened to the last 3 albums today, and here are the last 3 reviews, before the big CA one!

Test For Echo

Another album that isn't a fan favourite, and again I'd have to agree with the majority and say it's not the best. However, it's opening tracks are excellent. The title track, and album opener, is a great way to start the album. Soft intro with that catchy vocal, before kicking in into a heavier riff, then slowing again for the vocal, and so on. Driven is better than the title track, and it is very high up in my Rush song ranking. I love this song. The riff to open it, the sentiment of the song (I'm a big car fan), it's just got it all. Great stuff. Half The World isn't bad either, but it goes downhill rapido after that, and stuff like Dog Years is just painful to listen to. What was Neil thinking when he wrote that, or even Geddy and Alex for accepting it as a viable lyric! This album simply isn't the Rush we all know and love, and for that reason, it will never rank above the bottom quarter of albums for me.

Vapor Trails

After all Neil had gone through prior to this album, Vapor Trails is an album that almost never existed. I'm very glad it did though. Yes, the mix is poor, resulting in a seriously affected listening experience, but there are good songs on it nonetheless. One Little Victory is a barnstorming way to start the album off, that drum intro is simply incredible. The whole album is relatively heavy compared to previous albums, and I like that, so this album sits well with me. Secret Touch is another top class song, as is Ghost Rider and Freeze. Mixing lets this album down though, which is a crying shame, and I hope it will be remixed, as is the promise, and I can change my opinion on this album.

Snakes & Arrows

The most recent effort up until Clockwork Angels, and not exactly loved by many. On the flip side though, this album is a very high ranker for many. It sits midtable for me. Far Cry is a very good way to start off, and Armor and Sword is another winner. I like Faithless, and The Main Monkey Business isn't a bad instrumental, but not YYZ/La Villa class. Malignant Narcissism, however, is. What a fantastic song this is, especially so considering it clocks in at under 2 and a half minutes. The musicianship they include in this is brilliant, and I'd like to thank Fender for sending Geddy the Jaco Pastorius fretless bass that he accidentally wrote the song on! We Hold On is, I think, another good song, and a neat way to finish off the album. Despite this late revival, the album is heavily frontloaded, with 4 of the top 5 songs for me in the first half. Still, this is not a bad album, far from it, but it lacks the heaviness in the most part that I like from Rush.

Ratings

Rush 7/10

FBN 8/10

CoS 4.5/10

2112 10/10

AFTK 8.5/10

Hemispheres 9.5/10

Permanent Waves 8/10

Moving Pictures 11/10

Signals 10/10

Power Windows 8/10

Hold Your Fire 8.25/10

Presto 7/10

Roll The Bones 5/10

Counterparts 9/10

Test For Echo 5/10

Vapor Trails 7.5/10

Snakes & Arrows 8/10

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Jun 16 2012, 11:03 AM)

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails

Snakes & Arrows

Ratings
Rush 7/10
FBN 8/10
CoS 4.5/10
2112 10/10
AFTK 8.5/10
Hemispheres 9.5/10
Permanent Waves 8/10
Moving Pictures 11/10
Signals 10/10
Power Windows 8/10
Hold Your Fire 8.25/10
Presto 7/10
Roll The Bones 5/10
Counterparts 9/10
Test For Echo 5/10
Vapor Trails 7.5/10
Snakes & Arrows 8/10

trink39.gif Great reviews! I have particularly enjoyed your reviews- very thought full!

Will update the .pdf accordingly before it is linked! (which will be later on because it is on my computer at work).

QUOTE (Animate @ Jun 16 2012, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Jun 16 2012, 11:03 AM)

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails

Snakes & Arrows

Ratings
Rush 7/10
FBN 8/10
CoS 4.5/10
2112 10/10
AFTK 8.5/10
Hemispheres 9.5/10
Permanent Waves 8/10
Moving Pictures 11/10
Signals 10/10
Power Windows 8/10
Hold Your Fire 8.25/10
Presto 7/10
Roll The Bones 5/10
Counterparts 9/10
Test For Echo 5/10
Vapor Trails 7.5/10
Snakes & Arrows 8/10

trink39.gif Great reviews! I have particularly enjoyed your reviews- very thought full!

Will update the .pdf accordingly before it is linked! (which will be later on because it is on my computer at work).

Why thank you! There's me thinking they were just inane ramblings laugh.gif

Nice one Animate! Gonna frame this!

It was fun! We absorbed (and are still absorbing) CA, but doing so in smaller doses. This has inspired us to do other musical marathons as well! Groups on the agenda: The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Styx, Foo Fighters, and possibly The Stones, although we have nowhere near all of the Stones albums (after 1974 who would???) But we love the early stuff.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Jun 18 2012, 08:19 PM)
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o586/animate2112/FinalTallyRushMarathon.png

Awesome!

But...where is Hold Your Fire?? unsure.gif

ohmy.gif comp26.gif

Great catch! How embarrassing...

Will fix and re-post sometime later this evening!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 09:45 AM)
Awesome!

But...where is Hold Your Fire??  unsure.gif

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o586/animate2112/AwardCertificatHYFAdded.png

OK, finally, the final version... only 10 days over due... new, improved, now with "Hold Your Fire"