Rush Album Listening Contest!

Animate

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My update. On Thursday I did Permanent Waves no pauses. 10 points.

Skipped the weekend again and caught up with Moving Pictures, Signals, GUP, and Power Windows at work today. No bird attacks this time! I liked Power Windows so much that I threw in HYF at the end of the day. I'm ahead of myself now! 50 points there.

So to recap:

2.gif 10

FBN 10

COS 9 (curses!)

2112 10

AFTK 10

PEW 10

MP 10

Sig 10

GUP 10

Po W 10

HYF 10

Ok, so things got a tad out of sequence today. I'm sure that everybody is aware that CA leaked. I'm weak. I couldn't help myself. Still gonna finish the marathon.

Ok, so things got a tad out of sequence today. I'm sure that everybody is aware that CA leaked. I'm weak. I couldn't help myself. Still gonna finish the marathon

My wife and I gave in as well, since it was the complete album.

We will get back to the marathon shortly as well.

Well, for obvious reasons the marathon took a back seat yesterday, but after reattaching my head and picking my jaw up off the floor, I'm back!

Day 10 - Grace Under Pressure

Distant Early Warning, a nice opener. Nothing too in your face, just some nice strummy guitar stuff, before the synth riff kicks you up the backside. Unexpected, but great. Breaks into a neat little melody for the chorus, before softening up again for the verses. Easy to listen to, no problems. Afterimage doesn't bother with a soft intro, straight in there with the main melody. Geddy sounds really good, as does the synth, again heavily used, which of course it would be for years to come. Guitar still stays prominent though, which is a triumph for Alex, he could so easily have got lost under the synth. I think the songs goes on a bit though, it gets repetitive. A guitar intro to Red Sector A, as if to prove my point about Alex. Love the lyrics to this, so haunting and resonating. Electronic-sounding drums on parts of this song. Not my favourite to be honest, stick with the acoustic drums Neil. Groovy foot-tapping intro to The Enemy Within. I really like this song, up tempo and urgent. Nice drums from Neil as well, especially in the chorus. Ah, The Body Electric. Love this. The 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 bit is incredible. All kinds of theories as to what it means, but it's 73 in Binary code if that helps anyone! Anywho, the song is great. I'm not all that fussed on Kid Gloves to be honest, the chorus lyric doesn't make much sense really, and it sounds like "handle wicked gloves" which makes even less sense! Nah, move on. More red, this time Red Lenses. Love the "I see red" opening, and Geddy's bass lick. In fact, Ged's bass is top class all through this song. Probably the best song on the album. Between The Wheels finishes off the album. Another strong song, Rush seem to have a knack of ending albums with good songs. The synth is easily got used to, and it's bringing the best out of the boys on this album in my opinion.

Ratings

Rush 7/10

FBN 8/10

CoS 4.5/10

2112 10/10

AFTK 8.5/10

Hemispheres 9.5/10

Permanent Waves 8/10

Moving Pictures 11/10

Signals 10/10

Grace Under Pressure 9/10

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 6 2012, 10:16 AM)
laugh.gif

Just got my fanpack.

Hmm...I can't believe I'm seriously debating going through the rest of the albums (Presto - S&A), before opening it up. wacko.gif

Finish! It is worth it! Even if you listen to CA first!!

Funny, after the marathon, I am actually liking HYF... ohmy.gif smile.gif ohmy.gif smile.gif whats up with that ohmy.gif smile.gif

A quick return back into live shows...

Today's gigs are 3 fantastic shows from Hemispheres Tour...

A Desert Passage - Tucson Convention Center Arena - Tucson, Arizona - 20 November 1978

Held Hostage In Hollywood - The Hollywood Sportatorium - Hollywood, Florida - 10 March 1979 (SBD)

Black Forest - Stadhalle Offenbach - Frankfurt, Germany - 28 May 1979 (SBD)

...I was 15/16 at the time, a magical time in my life and a great time to be a Rush fanatic!

As always, the details of these shows can be found at the, oh so informative, Digital Rush Experience.

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/datab...list.php?tour=8

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 6 2012, 03:59 PM)
A quick return back into live shows...

Today's gigs are 3 fantastic shows from Hemispheres Tour...

A Desert Passage - Tucson Convention Center Arena - Tucson, Arizona - 20 November 1978

Held Hostage In Hollywood - The Hollywood Sportatorium - Hollywood, Florida - 10 March 1979 (SBD)

Black Forest - Stadhalle Offenbach - Frankfurt, Germany - 28 May 1979 (SBD)

...I was 15/16 at the time, a magical time in my life and a great time to be a Rush fanatic!

As always, the details of these shows can be found at the, oh so informative, Digital Rush Experience.

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/datab...list.php?tour=8

You've been a listening beast!

Give this guy the trophy already! laugh.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 6 2012, 03:04 PM)

Give this guy the trophy already! laugh.gif

trink39.gif

rofl3.gif

My wife asked, "Seriously, aren't you completely sick of them by now?"

I told her how much fun it has been tracing their career and reliving my memories of my life along with it.

This is realli is great fun!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 6 2012, 10:16 AM)
laugh.gif

Just got my fanpack.

Hmm...I can't believe I'm seriously debating going through the rest of the albums (Presto - S&A), before opening it up. wacko.gif

EmotionDetector,

Congrats on the fanpack...you should continue to work your way through the rest of the catalog...that would be cool to cap it off with the new record.

I myself, would not have the resistance and am glad that CA didn't "fall into my lap" before I had finished the official releases.

~Cheers, RGLT trink38.gif

Well, I'm kinda cheating and going out of order - skipped over PeW 'cause I don't have a copy for the car. Went on to Moving Pictures and got through all that and Subdivisions from Signals.

Moving Pictures marks the time where I really became more aware of who Rush was - I saw them for the first time in the Limelight video on MTV. Therefore, I really identify with the sound of this album and the following as what I think of when I think of Rush.

Geddy's bass(es) sound great on this album - he was transitioning between them, right? Tom Sawyer has some of my all-time favorite lyrics - "changes aren't permanent, but change is". YYZ really illustrates how an instrumental can tell a story, if you know the background, and I was really struck this time at how funky parts of this song are. The Camera Eye is just a beautiful showcase of Geddy's vocals, and their last epic, and I thought about how different it sounded from their early ones. Witch Hunt just blew me away again, like it does every time I hear it. And Vital Signs signs off with definite signs of The Police's influence, but it's still very Rush, complete with Geddy's cheeky "evelate from the norm".

We're in new territory, but I like it.

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 6 2012, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 6 2012, 03:04 PM)

Give this guy the trophy already!  laugh.gif

trink39.gif

rofl3.gif

My wife asked, "Seriously, aren't you completely sick of them by now?"

I told her how much fun it has been tracing their career and reliving my memories of my life along with it.

This is realli is great fun!

RGLT gets a trophy! No doubt!! More than one to go around though!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif trink39.gif

Day 11 - Power Windows

No messing about with soft intros, this one smacks you square in the jaw from the get go. Big Money is in top gear from the start and stays there, excellent song. Very catchy, and bass heavy, which I like. Love the tone of Lerxst's guitar in this one as well. Grand Designs continues in the same vein as the opening track, although slower in parts. Nonetheless, another very good song, with large amounts of synth, but well used synth, therefore making it effective. Some piano used here as well, nice touch. I like the oh oh ohs as well, just thought I'd add that in. Manhattan Project, another good song, although not, in my opinion, as good as the previous two. Still, groovy little chorus, but maybe a little too poppy for my liking. Now then, Marathon. What a fantastic song this is. Sounded great on the Time Machine Tour, and even better on the record. Love that upbeat, happy little bass riff that lies under the verse. The guitar in the verse is relegated to a bit part role and bass takes over big time, with incredible effect. Alex reminds us how good he is with a blistering solo, just to steal some of the limelight back. Nice one Al. Too much synth on Territories for me. Not a bad song, but the synth could either be replaced partly or turned down in the mix. I don't know, but either way, this is supposed to be a rock band. OK, synths were popular in the 80's, but Rush has never been popular, so shouldn't try to go with the times in my opinion. But yeah, Territories is probably my least favourite on the album. Again, nice bass work though. Middletown Dreams, better than the previous tracks, but still synth heavy. Still, this track is actually very good, more top notch bass work from Geddy, he really is showing his colours on this album I think. Emotion Detector, the source of username for a fellow Rush marathon-er! This is an OK one. Nice intro, upbeat verse into a louder, harder chorus. Sweet. Not fussed on the tone of the guitar in this one though. Mystic Rhythms is a nice way to finish the album. This song follows the Rush pattern of finishing albums well. More effects and artificial stuff thrown into this song, but it survives due to a heartfelt yet catchy chorus. People seem to love this album, but the amount of synth reaches incredible levels, and for that reason this album doesn't sit well with me as a whole. It is however redeemed by songs such as Marathon and Mystic Rhythms.

Ratings

Rush 7/10

FBN 8/10

CoS 4.5/10

2112 10/10

AFTK 8.5/10

Hemispheres 9.5/10

Permanent Waves 8/10

Moving Pictures 11/10

Signals 10/10

Grace Under Pressure 9/10

Power Windows 8/10

Today's shows are...

A Passage To Oslo - The Chateau - Oslo, Norway - 22 May 1979

National Sound - Mid-Hudson Civic Center - Poughkeepsie, New York - 26 January 1980 (SBD)

Timeless Wavelength Platinum Edition - Tarrant County Convention Center - Fort Worth, Texas - 02 February 1980

Something Old, Something New - Allentown Fairgrounds - Allentown, Pennsylvania - 30 September 1980 (SBD)

...these shows can be found in the "Different Stages" section of this forum.

If you are thinking of getting into collecting live shows.

Please remember to never pay for a show and never charge to give it away.

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 7 2012, 02:24 PM)
Today's shows are...

National Sound - Mid-Hudson Civic Center - Poughkeepsie, New York - 26 January 1980 (SBD)

Timeless Wavelength Platinum Edition - Tarrant County Convention Center - Fort Worth, Texas - 02 February 1980

Something Old, Something New - Allentown Fairgrounds - Allentown, Pennsylvania - 30 September 1980 (SBD)

Good info! I have not been in the "Different Stages" part of the forum. A little intimidated TBH, like it might be a locker room or something ohmy.gif

Actually what is it?

QUOTE (Animate @ Jun 7 2012, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 7 2012, 02:24 PM)
Today's shows are...

Good info! I have not been in the "Different Stages" part of the forum. A little intimidated TBH, like it might be a locker room or something ohmy.gif

Actually what is it?

Just fans like you and I who like to trade and share info about live shows.

Got up to part of The Weapon on Signals today. That "you move me, you move me" part of Analog Kid and the accompanying synths totally do move me. I also LOVE the lyrics "When I leave, I don't know what I'm hoping to find, and when I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind". Reminds me of all the times I've had to move on in life. And Chemistry is just under, under, underrated. I think it would be so cool live.

I still haven't listened to presto yet. I made a few attempts but life and CA got in the way...

EDIT: I just did Presto. One shot, 10 points. Much better album than I remember it being.

Tomorrow, Roll the bones, then on Monday I'll do Counterparts-SNA at work to finish it all up.

Edited by Dscrapre

For obvious reasons, we have fallen out of the listening contest this past week. We thought after we gave CA a few spins we would get back into the listening marathon with SnA Live and Time Machine Live, but alas, we just cannot stop listening to CA... Such a dang good album! We both think its great!

Sooo... I doubt we will make it with those last two releases - we have a very busy weekend planned and when we do listen to Rush we are listening to CA right now. Oh well, we bow defeated.

But CA is worth it! Toooo good..... 2.gif