Ronnie James Dio

metaldad

Without even realizing the significance of the date, I've been on a Dio Sabbath binge the last few days. I've never been a big fan of Dehumanizer, although I own the CD and the Deluxe Edition, but the live versions of the songs from the Deluxe Edition and the 1992 Boston boot are great.

Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are masterpieces.

I posted this on my Facebook page, but I thought I would share it here-

Back in 2008 I had the distinct pleasure of meeting one of the nicest, most genuine guys in rock and roll, Ronnie James Dio. I met him at Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ when Black Sabbath were promoting their box set, The Rules Of Hell, which is the Ronnie James Dio years of Black Sabbath. Thanks to Scott Lynch (aka Scott Evil of WDHA 105.5 FM) I got to hang out in the back room of Vintage Vinyl with the members of Black Sabbath for a good half hour one on one. When I met Ronnie, I thanked him for taking the time out to meet his fans, and he sincerely turned to me and said " No thank you, without you, I would be nothing!" I was really taken aback by how nice and sincere that he was. I feel very fortunate to have met him face to face, an absolute icon in the metal world. We lost him 3 years ago today. We miss you Ronnie, but your music will always live on. Metal horns up!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/2326_1097233704826_64_n.jpg

It's cool to read that story. I remember hearing one of Dio's band mates on The Boneyard, and he said basically what you just said. Ronnie didn't act like a rock star. He said they would be leaving the hotel, and they were late for a show, and what was Ronnie doing? Holding the door for people who were coming into the hotel. :)

knew a guy who met dio, apparently he loved to just shoot the shit with anyone about music, books, or whatever

It's nice to hear about people who made it big, and didn't turn into a douche. :)

yeah, and this same guy met priest, maiden, scorpions, several other legends and said that they were pretty much all pricks except dio. he also met robert plant and apparently he was cool too

I posted this on my Facebook page, but I thought I would share it here-

Back in 2008 I had the distinct pleasure of meeting one of the nicest, most genuine guys in rock and roll, Ronnie James Dio. I met him at Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ when Black Sabbath were promoting their box set, The Rules Of Hell, which is the Ronnie James Dio years of Black Sabbath. Thanks to Scott Lynch (aka Scott Evil of WDHA 105.5 FM) I got to hang out in the back room of Vintage Vinyl with the members of Black Sabbath for a good half hour one on one. When I met Ronnie, I thanked him for taking the time out to meet his fans, and he sincerely turned to me and said " No thank you, without you, I would be nothing!" I was really taken aback by how nice and sincere that he was. I feel very fortunate to have met him face to face, an absolute icon in the metal world. We lost him 3 years ago today. We miss you Ronnie, but your music will always live on. Metal horns up!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/2326_1097233704826_64_n.jpg

NIce!

I met Ronnie in 1986 in Leeds (UK) on the day of the gig, just by chance. me and my mates spotted RJD getting off this bus with Jimmy Bain. He signed our stuff and answered a few questions and was very cool.