one more quick comment on the clock

sdaly

All the talk about the cover art clock reminds me of the old NMS, when people were talking about Neil's watch on the Presto sleeve.

Given the "Get a life!" comment from 22 years ago, it's ironic that Hugh (and probably Neil as well, since he is so involved with the artwork) is now so obviously throwing out a playful nod to 2112 on the new cover...

:-)

From NMS, July, 1990:

----------------------------------

Subject: Neil says "Get A Life!"

Date: Thu, 5 Jul 90 10:30:53 MDT

About a week ago, Rush was playing Cal Expo here in Sacramento. A friend of mine who is a friend of Neil Peart's set up a short tour of Hewlett-Packard so I could show off all our high-tech computer goodies. I'd never met Neil before, and from murmurings I've heard on the Rush Fan's Digest, I thought he'd be really stuck-up. We'll folks, he's just a normal guy. He's talkative and outgoing. One of the reasons he comes off as remote in public is because he HATES "groupies". He doesn't like being idolized and fawned over. Among the computer stuff I showed him was "Notes". We talked about how people from all over the world contributed to notes strings like rec.music.misc and alt.sex. His thoughts ran along the same lines as most managers': Theres a

great waste-of-time potential there! I also told Neil about the Rush Fans

Digest. I tried to explain that most of us don't spend 24 hours a day fawning over every issue. Unfortunately I showed him part of an issue, which happened to contain lengthy diaglogues concerning the deep meaning of his WATCH. This obviously did not make a great impression. His quote was: "Get A Life!!!".

Luckily, the other computer & X-window demos came off better.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 16 2012, 12:09 PM)
This was not quick

It was quick -ish.

and doesn't have anything to do with Clockwork Angels

QUOTE (sdaly @ May 16 2012, 12:02 PM)
All the talk about the cover art clock . . .

Pretty sure the "cover art" he's referencing is the Clockwork Angels cover.

Rush fans, or at least those on this board, are picking this apart and discussing it in detail for two reasons:

a) We're Rush fans, many of whom are geeks, nerds, outcasts, detailed oriented single-tracked thinkers: it's what we do

2) THE ALBUM IS NOT FREAKING OUT ALREADY SO WE DON'T HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO TALK ABOUT.

common001.gif

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ May 16 2012, 02:31 PM)

2) THE ALBUM IS NOT FREAKING OUT ALREADY SO WE DON'T HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO TALK ABOUT.
common001.gif

What....you mean we ran out of "What if Rhianna did a cover of Red Barchetta" type threads?

QUOTE (sdaly @ May 16 2012, 01:02 PM)
All the talk about the cover art clock reminds me of the old NMS, when people were talking about Neil's watch on the Presto sleeve.

Given the "Get a life!" comment from 22 years ago, it's ironic that Hugh (and probably Neil as well, since he is so involved with the artwork) is now so obviously throwing out a playful nod to 2112 on the new cover...

From NMS, July, 1990:
About a week ago, Rush was playing Cal Expo here in Sacramento. A friend of mine who is a friend of Neil Peart's set up a short tour of Hewlett-Packard so I could show off all our high-tech computer goodies. I'd never met Neil before, and from murmurings I've heard on the Rush Fan's Digest, I thought he'd be really stuck-up. We'll folks, he's just a normal guy. He's talkative and outgoing. One of the reasons he comes off as remote in public is because he HATES "groupies". He doesn't like being idolized and fawned over. Among the computer stuff I showed him was "Notes". We talked about how people from all over the world contributed to notes strings like rec.music.misc and alt.sex. His thoughts ran along the same lines as most managers': Theres a
great waste-of-time potential there! I also told Neil about the Rush Fans
Digest. I tried to explain that most of us don't spend 24 hours a day fawning over every issue. Unfortunately I showed him part of an issue, which happened to contain lengthy diaglogues concerning the deep meaning of his WATCH. This obviously did not make a great impression. His quote was: "Get A Life!!!".

You ...WILL... learn.. young... apprentice....NOT.... to mention... the clock.

Regarding the 'time' on the cover, it is what we all think it to be. The reference was also used by Hugh Syme last year on the Dream Theater album A Dramatic Turn Of Events as symbolised by the angles of the ropes on the front cover! If you superimpose a clock face surrounding the Dream Theater cover you will see that the ropes are angled at exactly 12 past 9! I simply emailed Hugh last year about the 12 past 9 reference and he agreed it to be true! trink39.gif

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 16 2012, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (sdaly @ May 16 2012, 01:02 PM)

From NMS, July, 1990:
About a week ago, Rush was playing Cal Expo here in Sacramento.  A friend of mine who is a friend of Neil Peart's set up a short tour of Hewlett-Packard so I could show off all our high-tech computer goodies.  I'd never met Neil before, and from murmurings I've heard on the Rush Fan's Digest, I thought he'd be really stuck-up.  We'll folks, he's just a normal guy.  He's talkative and outgoing.  One of the reasons he comes off as remote in public is because he HATES "groupies".  He doesn't like being idolized and fawned over.  Among the computer stuff I showed him was "Notes".  We talked about how people from all over the world contributed to notes strings like rec.music.misc and alt.sex.  His thoughts ran along the same lines as most managers': Theres a
great waste-of-time potential there!  I also told Neil about the Rush Fans
Digest.  I tried to explain that most of us don't spend 24 hours a day fawning over every issue.  Unfortunately I showed him part of an issue, which happened to contain lengthy diaglogues concerning the deep meaning of his WATCH.  This obviously did not make a great impression.  His quote was: "Get A Life!!!".

You ...WILL... learn.. young... apprentice....NOT.... to mention... the clock.

The clock is okay to mention...just not what you were referring to about it laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mollynas @ May 16 2012, 08:47 PM)
Regarding the 'time' on the cover, it is what we all think it to be. The reference was also used by Hugh Syme last year on the Dream Theater album A Dramatic Turn Of Events as symbolised by the angles of the ropes on the front cover! If you superimpose a clock face surrounding the Dream Theater cover you will see that the ropes are angled at exactly 12 past 9! I simply emailed Hugh last year about the 12 past 9 reference and he agreed it to be true! trink39.gif

The time on a clock is not subjective opinion. With Adobe Illustrator it's easy to measure the minute hand at 18 degrees from horizontal. That means it's 2/5 of the way from the 2 to the 3. Not only was it intentionally set to 21:12, it was done so with great precision.

The inner sleeve pick from Hold Your Fire (the one with the guy juggling) has a clock on the right side of the picture. It's hands are also at 9:12. That was done intentionally and was way before 9-11.

This is well explained at this link.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/main/Wallpaper.htm

QUOTE (The Omega Concern @ May 18 2012, 08:53 PM)
The inner sleeve pick from Hold Your Fire (the one with the guy juggling) has a clock on the right side of the picture. It's hands are also at 9:12. That was done intentionally and was way before 9-11.

Does this mean Rush predicted 9/11?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 18 2012, 08:59 PM)
QUOTE (The Omega Concern @ May 18 2012, 08:53 PM)

Does this mean Rush predicted 9/11?

rofl3.gif