Why No Standing??!!!

The Who-Cincinnati....that's why

Yep, and yep to all the posts on here about the Cincinnati tragedy. I have the Who documentary that came out a few years ago and you can tell they are still affected by it by the sensitive treatment of it in the documentary.

If everyone sits, everyone can see

Not true! Some times -- as in my case last year at a Steely Dan concert -- I, being 5'11", was stuck sitting behind a guy who was broad shouldered and had to be all of 6'5", and I was fuming to my wife because not only was the guy huge but he insisted on sitting as erect and wide as he could, as if he was trying to block my view. I could not see the stage at all. Thankfully, the seats next to us never were taken and we moved over. But I would have had to stand had we not been able to do that. I mean, you are a giant, why would you want a seat so close (6th row)? Move to the back Andre! It was like wearing a giant hat in a movie theater... Almost ruined my night.

Edited by wilb1972

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the person behind me is shorter, I just ask if I'm blocking their view and that I'm a stander. I just work it out before the show starts. That usually prevents any drama.

The fervour for Rush was very nearly demonstrated in tragic fashion in Detroit in January. A month previously - December 3 to be exact - 11 fans had been killed in Riverfront Stadium in Cinncinnati when the crowd rushed the gates at a Who concert.

Rush nearly had their own Cincinnati when tickets for their February 17 show went on sale at the massive Cobo Hall in Detroit on Saturday, January 12.

There were between 1,000 and 1,500 kids waiting in line to buy tickets when the box office was opened at 8.30 a.m. - an hour and a half earlier than the planned time. The box office manager had opened early because of the crowd, some of whom - according to local police - had been waiting all night in near freezing temperatures. With eight police on duty the crowds rushed the doors, smashed the glass in six of them and tore another two literally off their hinges.

Another dozen cops were called and restored order with the judicious use of nightsticks - the lengthier American version of the humble truncheon. To get people to move back they hit them on the legs with their clubs.

Through some sort of minor miracle no-one was seriously injured although several reported being trampled to the ground. Eventually all 20,029 tickets for the gig were sold out.

At about the same time Rush had made it clear in the American press that they were concerned to a very great extent with the question of safety of their audiences at concerts.

Rush specified in their contracts that there would be no "festival seating" - which is an American promoters' euphemism for taking out the seats and squeezing as many people as possible into a gig without regard for safety.

Said Geddy Lee: "It's really ignorant. It's treating kids like cattle, which they're not. It's something we've fought for a long time but nobody listens to you. They need a horrible tragedy like this (The Who Cincinnati incident) before they'll go 'Oh yeah, maybe you're right'.

"We've complained on a lot of our past shows. Can't we please have reserved seating all the time, but unfortunately no-one really paid attention until this incident happened."

Lee concluded 'You never hear of riots in reserved seating. That's really what it boils down to."

Neil Peart echoed Geddy's feelings. "I'm very happy we have a clause in our contract that allows for no festival seating. I tried to go for it during the last tour because over the past few years I have been watching people go through so much suffering at the front of the stage people being pulled out of the audience bv their feet and people just being pushed back and forth. It's terrible to watch."

Despite their reserved seating only contract rider, Rush still managed to pull in some incredibly vast crowds on their American tour the biggest they'd ever attracted and proof positive that they were a massive band.

-- http://sites.google.com/site/rocknoutclaus/rush

I'm 5'8"..i like long walks,on the beach,my favorite color is plaid...sorry tangent.I Wish oh God how i wish i was a taller man!! wtf can i do?? nothing...pray everyone in the front of me sits?? aint gonna happen.

would i sit if i was taller? probally not.will i be standing on my tippy

toes the whole show? hell yes!! do any of you care? hell no!! 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 18 2012, 09:25 AM)
The fervour for Rush was very nearly demonstrated in tragic fashion in Detroit in January. A month previously - December 3 to be exact - 11 fans had been killed in Riverfront Coliseum in Cinncinnati when the crowd rushed the gates at a Who concert.

Good article, although it got the Cincinnati venue wrong. It was the Coliseum, not the Stadium.

Good bands like Rush actually care about their fans' welfare. Other bands couldn't care less. Sometimes, I think they like seeing the insane crush up front...the borderline chaos and anarchy..... fing.gif fing.gif

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 18 2012, 10:25 AM)
Said Geddy Lee: "It's really ignorant. It's treating kids like cattle, which they're not. It's something we've fought for a long time but nobody listens to you. They need a horrible tragedy like this (The Who Cincinnati incident) before they'll go 'Oh yeah, maybe you're right'.

"We've complained on a lot of our past shows. Can't we please have reserved seating all the time, but unfortunately no-one really paid attention until this incident happened."

Lee concluded 'You never hear of riots in reserved seating. That's really what it boils down to."

Neil Peart echoed Geddy's feelings. "I'm very happy we have a clause in our contract that allows for no festival seating. I tried to go for it during the last tour because over the past few years I have been watching people go through so much suffering at the front of the stage people being pulled out of the audience bv their feet and people just being pushed back and forth. It's terrible to watch."

Further proof of how classy these guys are.

Say what you want...but they always watch and care for us, the fans. 1022.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ May 18 2012, 10:10 PM)
I will stand when I want to no matter what. A few bad apples are not going to ruin my 2.gif Concert. There are idiots at concerts and at any other public event. Those of us who are respectful and considerate will not accept being put in the same class with the mindless fools! 1022.gif 2.gif trink38.gif

And when the people sitting behind you are calling YOU the "bad apple"? What happens when you're the one being disrespectful and inconsiderate? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 19 2012, 06:24 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ May 18 2012, 10:10 PM)
I will stand when I want to no matter what. A few bad apples are not going to ruin my  2.gif Concert. There are idiots at concerts and at any other public event. Those of us who are respectful and considerate will not accept being put in the same class with the mindless fools! 1022.gif  2.gif  trink38.gif

And when the people sitting behind you are calling YOU the "bad apple"? What happens when you're the one being disrespectful and inconsiderate? confused13.gif

People deserve to jump up and down and yell and scream and dance if they want. This is called a "rock concert". People behind you also have the "choice" to stand or sit.

I agree 100% with troutman. I'm dancing with 30 shows and the only time I've ever sat at a Rush concert is when I got parked in front of the wheelchair accessible seating.

2.gif

The only good solution for this age old dilemma is clear. Everyone in the arena should watch me! Stand when I stand, sit when I sit. There, perfection!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 18 2012, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 18 2012, 10:25 AM)

Further proof of how classy these guys are.

Say what you want...but they always watch and care for us, the fans. 1022.gif

That being said, TO THIS DAY the boys still play at venues with general admission, which I think is awesome.

There is a lot more awareness now about rushing for the front of the stage and security now takes care of this by funneling people into the venue more slowly.

RUSH in Rotterdam they did this + the crowds for Rush are extremely well behaved, this isn't a Slayer concert or something after all. This is very much evident of the live DVD for that show.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 19 2012, 08:06 AM)
People deserve to jump up and down and yell and scream and dance if they want. This is called a "rock concert". People behind you also have the "choice" to stand or sit.

I like to stand for the entire Show, too. I hate sitting down for a rock concert.

However, nowhere on the ticket is it written that we "deserve" or are "entitled" to stand, dance, jump around....and block other people's view. We have no "right" to do it. It ultimately comes down to working it out with the people around you. If people are sitting and they protest, then you have to work it out. If they don't protest, then so be it. People also have the choice to call security and have them deal with those of us who stand all Show long. And we all know that Security doesn't like "troublemakers"..... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif bolt.gif

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 16 2012, 12:36 PM)
General Admission sucks.
I don't need some roidhead crawling up my back, thrusting his fist in front of my face and spilling his overpriced beer on me all night long.

Reserved seating is the way to go.

1287.gif

QUOTE (Sark @ May 18 2012, 10:09 AM)
If the person behind me is shorter, I just ask if I'm blocking their view and that I'm a stander. I just work it out before the show starts. That usually prevents any drama.

I'm 5'3" stretching and ALWAYS end up with a seat right behind Lurch from The Addams Family. angry.gif At least if I'm standing I can move around a little and find an optimum viewing spot.

Last tour I had 3rd row. The family in front of me put their child (estimated age about 7) on his chair when the show started. Fortunately they were very nice and set him back on the floor when I politely let them know that I couldn't see. Kid was digging the show at first, but was asleep about 3 songs into the second half.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 19 2012, 07:26 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 19 2012, 08:06 AM)

I like to stand for the entire Show, too. I hate sitting down for a rock concert.

However, nowhere on the ticket is it written that we "deserve" or are "entitled" to stand, dance, jump around....and block other people's view. We have no "right" to do it. It ultimately comes down to working it out with the people around you. If people are sitting and they protest, then you have to work it out. If they don't protest, then so be it. People also have the choice to call security and have them deal with those of us who stand all Show long. And we all know that Security doesn't like "troublemakers"..... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif bolt.gif

You bring up a good point about working things out with the people around you. While you're waiting for the show to start you can always strike up a conversation to pass the time with the people sitting around you. Which i've done before at plenty of concerts. Just ask them if they're going to stand or not? It can also be as simple as turning around to the people sitting directly behind you and saying "excuse me, do you mind if I stand during the show?" or something like that. It's better to just throw it out there as soon as possible that way if the people behind you are sitters you won't be pissing anybody off and having them call security on you because you're blocking their view.

I will never understand wanting to stand through the ENTIRE concert. Don't get me wrong. No one loves to rock in time and sing the rhymes like I do. For Time Machine in Nashville I purposely bought tickets in a side bleacher about at 2:00 from Alex' view. This was because in Atlanta we were on floor level and my wife could see nothing. And I'll be damned if everyone at Nashville stood and we BOTH had to crane and stretch to maintain a view...and I'm 6'1"! I seriously offered a family in front of us $50 to sit down for ten minutes. You'd thought I'd pissed on their crucifix.

Aw heck, maybe it was the beer talking.

I will never understand wanting to stand through the ENTIRE concert. Don't get me wrong. No one loves to rock in time and sing the rhymes like I do. For Time Machine in Nashville I purposely bought tickets in a side bleacher about at 2:00 from Alex' view. This was because in Atlanta we were on floor level and my wife could see nothing. And I'll be damned if everyone at Nashville stood and we BOTH had to crane and stretch to maintain a view...and I'm 6'1"! I seriously offered a family in front of us $50 to sit down for ten minutes. You'd thought I'd pissed on their crucifix.

QUOTE (salges @ May 21 2012, 06:43 PM)

Why? Is 3 hours really that long?

Some people stand for 3 hours working on an assembly line.

It's a rock concert! Stand up and rock out! 1022.gif