OFFICIAL Indie Thread

INDIE is short for INDEPENDENT, which refers to the production and distribution (independent label vs. major label), and it has absolutely nothing to do with musical style (though years ago many indie bands did sound similar). Alternative, on the other hand, is a musical genre, but it is an incredibly vague one. The only way in which they are connected are that some alternative bands are also indie, and vice-versa.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 17 2012, 12:22 AM)
INDIE is short for INDEPENDENT, which refers to the production and distribution (independent label vs. major label), and it has absolutely nothing to do with musical style (though years ago many indie bands did sound similar). Alternative, on the other hand, is a musical genre, but it is an incredibly vague one. The only way in which they are connected are that some alternative bands are also indie, and vice-versa.

The problem now though is that bands like coldplay are becoming known as "Indie"

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ May 17 2012, 02:20 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 17 2012, 12:22 AM)
INDIE is short for INDEPENDENT, which refers to the production and distribution (independent label vs. major label), and it has absolutely nothing to do with musical style (though years ago many indie bands did sound similar).  Alternative, on the other hand, is a musical genre, but it is an incredibly vague one.  The only way in which they are connected are that some alternative bands are also indie, and vice-versa.

The problem now though is that bands like coldplay are becoming known as "Indie"

Coldplay? With that big sound they have now?

Personally I've never considered Coldplay an indie band. Especially since they sold gazillions with their debut. I always imagined that an indie band should remain a kind of cult band, less known...

There are some good things in the indie camp but more often than not I'm not completely sold on that thin, amateurish sound. I know it's part of the charm, but it's not my cup of tea, really.

Are The Ting Tings an indie band, btw?

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ May 17 2012, 03:06 PM)
What about Editors?

Definitely sounds like indie imo. I really enjoyed their music, gave it a listen. trink39.gif

Foster the People tomorrow night. So stoked.. get to see the Kooks too. Just listened to some of their stuff, intriguing. trink39.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 17 2012, 02:22 PM)
INDIE is short for INDEPENDENT, which refers to the production and distribution (independent label vs. major label), and it has absolutely nothing to do with musical style

I would say so. But I don't think most people would agree.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 4 2012, 02:21 AM)
INDIE is short for INDEPENDENT, which refers to the production and distribution (independent label vs. major label), and it has absolutely nothing to do with musical style

It's not really about agreement, what he's saying is a fact. But just so I won't start shit with certain people (not on here, but indie fans in real life) I just call it indie if other people agree it's indie.

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 4 2012, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 4 2012, 02:21 AM)

It's not really about agreement, what he's saying is a fact. But just so I won't start shit with certain people (not on here, but indie fans in real life) I just call it indie if other people agree it's indie.

I know it's fact but that doesn't mean people know it to be. People argue about things like this all the time.

Any Grimes fans out there? My favorite artist of right now.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/75470478/Grimes+_PNG_110312_01.png

heart.gif

Saw Wolf Gang in action on Friday evening opening for Coldplay..

Man are they good. Just starting, give them a listen.