Best three "single" set?

savagegrace26

Which of these are the best set of singles?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these are the best set of singles?

• The Big Money/Manhattan Project/Mystic Rhythms
    • Force Ten/Time Stand Still/Lock and Key
    • Show Don't Tell/The Pass/Superconductor
    • Dreamline/Roll the Bones/Ghost of a Chance
    • Stick It Out/Nobody's Hero/Cold Fire
    • Test for Echo/Half the World/Driven
    • One Little Victory/Secret Touch/Sweet Miracle
    • Far Cry/Spindrift/The Larger Bowl
    • Caravan/BU2B/Headlong Flight

I went back as far as Power Windows and picked the three highest charting singles that were released for each album. Are the Clockwork Angels songs the best trio of singles released? That's what I voted for. None of the others are as consistently strong IMO.

Roll the Bones is my second choice.

Edited by savagegrace26

Like so many of these types of questions I just find it hard to contrast things like this, they're just from different eras and have to be judged in the context of their own time. I'm not saying you shouldn't have asked it, just that I have trouble answering it in any thoughtful way.

Are you sure Sweet Miracle charted higher than Earthshine?

I'm not sure about these exact three songs picked from each album, none are amazingly strong IMO, but none of these represent what I think are the best tracks...

Going by your rules though I would have to say Test for Echo / Half the World / Driven would be my favorite.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 15 2012, 02:40 PM)
Like so many of these types of questions I just find it hard to contrast things like this, they're just from different eras and have to be judged in the context of their own time. I'm not saying you shouldn't have asked it, just that I have trouble answering it in any thoughtful way.

Pretty much what I asked. What are the best set of songs as from a present point-of-view.

If they had released OLV/Vapor Trail/Earthshine or Far Cry/Armor & Sword/MalNar as singles I may have been tempted to pick those sets over the CA singles. But they didn't.

Rarely have they picked the "best" album tracks to release as singles. So I'm expecting there to be some even stronger songs on the actual album than what's already been released.

Edited by savagegrace26

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 15 2012, 02:45 PM)
Are you sure Sweet Miracle charted higher than Earthshine?

I'm not sure about these exact three songs picked from each album, none are amazingly strong IMO, but none of these represent what I think are the best tracks...

Going by your rules though I would have to say Test for Echo / Half the World / Driven would be my favorite.

Earthshine wasn't released as an official "single" or radio track. Those three are the only three from VT that were.

My "rules" are what was officially released.

Edited by savagegrace26

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ May 15 2012, 01:45 PM)

Pretty much what I asked. What are the best set of songs as from a present point-of-view.

If they had released OLV/Vapor Trail/Earthshine or Far Cry/Armor & Sword/MalNar as singles I may have been tempted to pick those sets over the CA singles. But they didn't.

Rarely have they picked the "best" album tracks to release as singles. So I'm expecting their to be some even stronger songs on the actual album than what's already been released.

Oh, I see. You're basically asking if those were the best they could have chosen from those albums at the time to represent the albums, not just asking which songs we like the most.

In that sense I'd pick RTB with HYF a close second. But really, I have no way of knowing yet about CA so I can't consider that one until I hear the whole album.

I went with the Hold Your Fire group. It's the only one with three songs that I like a lot.

The material I consider strong usually doesn't coincide with the tunes that are chosen as singles.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 15 2012, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ May 15 2012, 01:45 PM)

Rarely have they picked the "best" album tracks to release as singles. So I'm expecting their to be some even stronger songs on the actual album than what's already been released.

Oh, I see. You're basically asking if those were the best they could have chosen from those albums at the time to represent the albums, not just asking which songs we like the most.

In that sense I'd pick RTB with HYF a close second. But really, I have no way of knowing yet about CA so I can't consider that one until I hear the whole album.

No, I'm asking which are strongest set of singles released, as in what are the best songs - based on the strength of the songs themselves. Not which are the best representatives from their respective albums. That would be impossible considering that we haven't heard the rest of CA yet.

Edited by savagegrace26

It's the best since Counterparts, those singles were awesome. The entire album was awesome.

EDIT: just noticed it asks which are the best singles. I'm going to have to say the new ones hands down.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (RushIslander @ May 15 2012, 05:17 PM)
Caravan, BU2B, and especially Headlong Flight!!!

Been waiting for a ROCKING approach from 2.gif since 1982...

It has arrived!!!

1022.gif

Nothing personal but I seriously can't understand comments like these and I see them all the time. I just saw a comment on youtube as well under Caravan where someone said something like "Thank god Rush is finally getting away from keyboards and going back to rock..." Where the flipping heck have people been for the past 2 decades since Counterparts? It's all been guitar-driven hard rock for almost 20 years now. It's just weird that seemingly every time a new album comes out a significant number of people react like Rush has been doing nothing but different versions of Tai Shan and Losing It type songs for 30 years. wacko.gif And I seriously doubt CA will be as consistently heavy as TFE or VT.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 15 2012, 06:41 PM)
QUOTE (RushIslander @ May 15 2012, 05:17 PM)
Caravan, BU2B, and especially Headlong Flight!!!

Been waiting for a ROCKING approach from  2.gif since 1982...

It has arrived!!!

1022.gif

Nothing personal but I seriously can't understand comments like these and I see them all the time. I just saw a comment on youtube as well under Caravan where someone said something like "Thank god Rush is finally getting away from keyboards and going back to rock..." Where the flipping heck have people been for the past 2 decades since Counterparts? It's all been guitar-driven hard rock for almost 20 years now. It's just weird that seemingly every time a new album comes out a significant number of people react like Rush has been doing nothing but different versions of Tai Shan and Losing It type songs for 30 years. wacko.gif And I seriously doubt CA will be as consistently heavy as TFE or VT.

The producer Nick suggested that the band get back to being RUSH; forget standard verse, bridge, chorus crap...just Raw Rush!!!

It seems that the band agreed!!!

1287.gif

One Little Victory/Secret Touch/Sweet Miracle

followed closely by

Dreamline/Roll The Bones/Ghost Of A Chance

and

Force Ten/Time Stand Still/Lock And Key

That said, Caravan and BU2B are excellent!

QUOTE (RushIslander @ May 15 2012, 06:35 PM)
Whatever you say, Snowdog....Headlong Flight moves me, and I'll repeat: It rocks~my~socks~off!!!

653.gif

I'm in no way disagreeing with your choice, if you just like the songs better that's perfectly reasonable. But the idea that you've been waiting for 30 years for them to start playing rock again is just a total mystery to me.