Vapor Trails came out ten years ago

circumstantial tree

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 24 2012, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 24 2012, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 24 2012, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 24 2012, 06:00 AM)
VT Remix news from Ged in the new issue of Prog Magazine:

That was an idea but it's now been shifted down. Rather than remix the entire album we might now take a bunch of different songs from albums and get different people to remix them for fun, rather than just do Vapor Trails. It's an idea in flux.

wtf.gif

Are we gonna get the Dub Mix version of Earthshine now??

The dance club Darned Dragon remix of One Little Victory??

Will we be hearing the Temporary Madness Remix feat. Jay-Z version of "Nocturne"???

unsure.gif

That might be the one thing that makes me completely abandon this band. I can accept damn near anything they want to experiment with, but putting out a CD of remixes by other people? Fk that.

Oh please, you're overreacting, Boy George.

No, I'm not. I'm completely unemotional, very rational about this. I object to this idea so much that I could very well give up on Rush as a result. I would still enjoy everything up to that point, but from then on, I simply would't care. They'd be dead to me.

I can understand being UPSET about it, but holy crap, it's not like we're getting Dubstep mixes of Rush.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 24 2012, 03:22 PM)

That was an idea but it's now been shifted down. Rather than remix the entire album we might now take a bunch of different songs from albums and get different people to remix them for fun, rather than just do Vapor Trails. It's an idea in flux.

wtf.gif

Will we be hearing the Temporary Madness Remix feat. Jay-Z version of "Nocturne"???

unsure.gif

That might be the one thing that makes me completely abandon this band. I can accept damn near anything they want to experiment with, but putting out a CD of remixes by other people? Fk that.

No, I'm not. I'm completely unemotional, very rational about this. I object to this idea so much that I could very well give up on Rush as a result. I would still enjoy everything up to that point, but from then on, I simply would't care. They'd be dead to me.

I can understand being UPSET about it, but holy crap, it's not like we're getting Dubstep mixes of Rush.

And I'm just sayin', if we do...

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 24 2012, 04:23 PM)

wtf.gif

unsure.gif

You'll stop listening to Rush because they decided to be progressive and do something different? Hell I love Dubstep, and if they decided to release OLV in dubstep, country western form. I'd listen to it. I probably wouldn't like it, but I'd listen to it regardless.

I love Vapor Trails. Its the best Rush album since Presto.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 24 2012, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 24 2012, 04:23 PM)

wtf.gif

unsure.gif

You'll stop listening to Rush because they decided to be progressive and do something different? Hell I love Dubstep, and if they decided to release OLV in dubstep, country western form. I'd listen to it. I probably wouldn't like it, but I'd listen to it regardless.

Hiring the clowns that come up with that kind of "music" to remix songs from the Rush catalog? Yes, I'd stop listening to Rush from that point forward. It would be a betrayal of every principle they've professed to stand for over the past 40 years, plus - more importantly - the resulting music would suck.

The last thing it would be is progressive.

People want to remix shit and put it out on their own, fine. But for the band itself to put out an album of remixes with their name on it... no.

Vapor Trails is one of their top 5 albums. Its a shame some "fans" couldnt move forward with them on it but who cares. I listen to it quite abit. Alex's rhythms on it are unreal! It could use a remix but they already did OLV and Earthshine for the Retrospective so it'd just be the rest of the album. I dont think there'd be enough commercial demand to justify doing it but we can always hope! Ceiling Unlimited could really use a remix but at least they did 2 songs off of it.

And Out of the Cradle is a very good song. Alex's guitar part in the middle is one of the albums highlights.

this I do not like. the latest from Geddy regarding a VT remix:

Deja vu.....?

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 25 2012, 02:21 PM)

Seriously.

Rush can't do much to piss me off, but this pisses me off royally. angry.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 25 2012, 01:21 PM)

I can only guess that they didn't consider it cost effective or worth their time to remix an entire album that didn't really sell well to start with and that they don't seem too crazy about in hindsight given that barely any VT songs were carried over to the more recent setlists.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 17 2012, 02:29 PM)
I love Vapor Trails. I think it's one of the most personal, emotional albums Rush has made. Music wise it's very original and shows a side of the band I hadn't heard before. Lyric wise it's very moving and inspiring. The production wasn't very good and that's a shame. But they will release a remixed version so I'll listen to that one in the future.

The only thing I don't like about this album and also S&A is the choir of Geddy's. I agree that Rush should use less overdubs, especially with Geddy's voice.

that's my biggest gripe with all the albums starting with TFE....too many layers of everything, especially guitar, which results in a thick muddy wall of sound. Don't like it for any band, especially Rush. Say what you want about Presto and RTB, those albums were much more listenable and easier to follow.

Also, it would be nice if they could write shorter songs. Anything over 5 minutes just seems to go on way too long with too many repeats.

Edited by jnoble

QUOTE (jnoble @ May 25 2012, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 25 2012, 01:21 PM)

I can only guess that they didn't consider it cost effective or worth their time to remix an entire album that didn't really sell well to start with and that they don't seem too crazy about in hindsight given that barely any VT songs were carried over to the more recent setlists.

I am currently listening to vt again, for the umpteenth time, and i know i am repeating myself, but this album is so cool 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 26 2012, 11:28 AM)
QUOTE (jebren72 @ May 25 2012, 08:20 AM)
Vapor Trails is one of their top 5 albums.

cool10.gif

GET OUT OF HERE TROLL!! rage.gif

tongue.gif wink.gif

Speaking of VT, I woke up today with this weird Geddy oooooh-oooh part stuck in my head and I could NOT place which song it was from. After about an hour of being annoyed about this snippet that I couldn't get out of my head, I finally realized it was-

FREEZE!

I hadn't listened to that song in who knows how long, so I have no idea how it ended up in my head the second I woke up confused13.gif But I gave it a quick listen earlier and the song keeps getting slightly better each time I hear it.. VT in whole is taking a VERY long time to grow on me.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 25 2012, 09:37 PM)

Seriously.

I'd be willing to give it a chance, but I remember how the Rick Rubin remixes of Queen went over - not very well. Not an improvement on the originals in most cases.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 27 2012, 09:51 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 25 2012, 09:37 PM)

Seriously.

I'd be willing to give it a chance, but I remember how the Rick Rubin remixes of Queen went over - not very well. Not an improvement on the originals in most cases.

Oh, sorry! I think my post was unclear....

I'd definitely give a Rush remix album a chance. But doing it instead of a VT remix makes me sad. sad.gif

I agree with Prime Mover about cranking it too loud! It is a great album, much more hopeful in tone than what followed it.

I had it in my CD player for MONTHS until I finally gave it a rest. SnA only lasted a few weeks, similar to T4E.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still glad they made SnA & T4E, but they just don't get as much listening as VT, CP, and many other albums before it.

We'll see how long CA lasts in my CD listening time... biggrin.gif

Edited by Time Traveler

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 30 2012, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (Alexmai @ May 30 2012, 10:50 AM)
I just ended the Rushography tour in the other thread... VT is a GREAT album smile.gif better imho than 80% of Rush after 1985

Interesting...I certainly couldn't disagree more.

Yeah , that is a tad wacky