The Great Pink Floyd Thread

rushgoober

Sorry for the political nature of this article, post is for information only.

Palestinian plea to Floyd's Waters

Palestinian artists have appealed to Roger Waters, the Pink Floyd songwriter who wrote the band's final hit, Another Brick in the Wall, to call off a concert in Tel Aviv in June because it could be seen as legitimising the towering wall Israel is building through Jerusalem.
Groups such as the Palestinian Association for Contemporary Art and the League of Palestinian Artists have written to Waters expressing concern at his plans. Their letter said: "Palestinian as well as several international artists asked in shock: how can the artist whose name around the world was for many years associated with breaking walls of injustice be in any way complicit with the monstrosity of Israel's wall, declared illegal by the international court of justice?"

Last year, Waters was among several British artists who supported a War On Want campaign against the West Bank barrier. At the time, Waters said: "The poverty inflicted by the wall has been devastating for Palestinians. It has kept children from their schools, the sick from proper medical care and continues to destroy the Palestinian economy."

Yesterday, he said: "I have a lot of fans in Israel, many of whom are refuseniks. I would not rule out going to Israel because I disapprove of the foreign policy any more than I would refuse to play in the UK because I disapprove of Tony Blair's foreign policy."

Huge news for Roger Waters fans

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/news/0604213.html

As Roger Waters' 2006 summer tour of Europe moves ever closer, we have news for our North American friends - the complete run-down of shows he will be playing there in the Fall, along with the dates that tickets go on sale.

The tour promises a complete run-through of the 1973 Pink Floyd classic, Dark Side Of The Moon, as the second half of the show. The first half is a mix of Floyd classics and Roger's solo material. Elaborate staging is promised, designed by Mark Fisher, complete with projections, and a full, 360 degree quadrophonic sound system.

The dates below show on the dates that tickets go on general sale. American Express cardholders will be able to purchase tickets 7 days prior to the public on-sale date, and Amex have already begun emailing their customers with ticketing information.

Our Roger Waters 2006 Tour Room will be updated with full details of these new dates imminently - including relevent websites, maps to the venues, and more.

6 Sept PNC, Holmdel, NJ, USA On sale: May 19th

8 Sept Tweeter Center, Boston, Mass, USA On sale: April 29th

12 Sept Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY, USA On sale: May 15th

13 Sept Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY, USA On sale: May 15th

15 Sept Jones Beach, Wantagh, NY, USA On sale: May 19th

16 Sept Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ, USA On sale: May 13th

18 Sept The Palace, Detroit, MI, USA On sale: May 6th

20 Sept Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Canada On sale: May 1st

21 Sept Bell Centre, Montreal, Canada On sale: May 1st

23 Sept Nissan Center, Bristow, VA, USA On sale: May 20th

24 Sept Post Gazette Pavilion, Pittsburgh, PA, USA On sale: May 1st

27 Sept Gund Arena, Cleveland, OH, USA On sale: April 29th

29 Sept First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre, Chicago, IL, USA On sale: May 1st

30 Sept Verizon Wireless, Indianapolis, IN, USA On sale: May 1st

3 Oct Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ, USA On sale: April 29th

5 Oct Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA, USA On sale: April 30th

8 Oct Theater Under The Stars, Las Vegas, NV, USA On sale: TBA

10 Oct Shoreline Amphitheatre, San Francisco, CA, USA On sale: May 7th

12 Oct Key Arena, Seattle, WA, USA On sale: May 6th

Our thanks (as ever) to Roger's manager for his help...

---

YOU CAN GUESS WHERE IM GONNA BE ON OCT. 10th!!!!

While visiting a friend a few weeks ago, who happens to be a huge Pink Floyd fan, I heard the album Animals for the first time. I know, I'm waaaay behind, but better late than never! biggrin.gif Anyway, I thought it was great, and I really should get into some more older Pink Floyd stuff. Where have I been?? dazed025.gif

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Apr 25 2006, 04:06 PM)
While visiting a friend a few weeks ago, who happens to be a huge Pink Floyd fan, I heard the album Animals for the first time. I know, I'm waaaay behind, but better late than never! biggrin.gif Anyway, I thought it was great, and I really should get into some more older Pink Floyd stuff. Where have I been?? dazed025.gif

Try to get your hands on their "Live at Pompeii" dvd...it's fantastic. smile.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Apr 25 2006, 02:35 PM)
Huge news for Roger Waters fans

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/news/0604213.html

As Roger Waters' 2006 summer tour of Europe moves ever closer, we have news for our North American friends - the complete run-down of shows he will be playing there in the Fall, along with the dates that tickets go on sale.

The tour promises a complete run-through of the 1973 Pink Floyd classic, Dark Side Of The Moon, as the second half of the show. The first half is a mix of Floyd classics and Roger's solo material. Elaborate staging is promised, designed by Mark Fisher, complete with projections, and a full, 360 degree quadrophonic sound system.

The dates below show on the dates that tickets go on general sale. American Express cardholders will be able to purchase tickets 7 days prior to the public on-sale date, and Amex have already begun emailing their customers with ticketing information.

Our Roger Waters 2006 Tour Room will be updated with full details of these new dates imminently - including relevent websites, maps to the venues, and more.

6 Sept  PNC, Holmdel, NJ, USA On sale: May 19th
8 Sept  Tweeter Center, Boston, Mass, USA On sale: April 29th
12 Sept  Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY, USA On sale: May 15th
13 Sept  Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY, USA  On sale: May 15th
15 Sept  Jones Beach, Wantagh, NY, USA On sale: May 19th
16 Sept  Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ, USA On sale: May 13th
18 Sept  The Palace, Detroit, MI, USA On sale: May 6th
20 Sept  Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Canada On sale: May 1st
21 Sept  Bell Centre, Montreal, Canada On sale: May 1st
23 Sept  Nissan Center, Bristow, VA, USA On sale: May 20th
24 Sept  Post Gazette Pavilion, Pittsburgh, PA, USA On sale: May 1st
27 Sept  Gund Arena, Cleveland, OH, USA On sale: April 29th
29 Sept  First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre, Chicago, IL, USA On sale: May 1st
30 Sept  Verizon Wireless, Indianapolis, IN, USA On sale: May 1st
3 Oct  Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ, USA On sale: April 29th
5 Oct  Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA, USA On sale: April 30th
8 Oct  Theater Under The Stars, Las Vegas, NV, USA On sale: TBA
10 Oct  Shoreline Amphitheatre, San Francisco, CA, USA On sale: May 7th
12 Oct  Key Arena, Seattle, WA, USA On sale: May 6th

Our thanks (as ever) to Roger's manager for his help...

---

YOU CAN GUESS WHERE IM GONNA BE ON OCT. 10th!!!!

September 6th is my birthday and the PNC Bank ArtsCenter is only about 45 minutes away from me! I don't believe my parents have an Amex card so I guess I'm waiting until the 19th. I MUST GET TICKETS!! 1022.gif

Edited by Rush!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 25 2006, 05:05 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Apr 25 2006, 04:06 PM)
While visiting a friend a few weeks ago, who happens to be a huge Pink Floyd fan, I heard the album Animals for the first time. I know, I'm waaaay behind, but better late than never!  biggrin.gif  Anyway, I thought it was great, and I really should get into some more older Pink Floyd stuff. Where have I been??  dazed025.gif

Try to get your hands on their "Live at Pompeii" dvd...it's fantastic. smile.gif

Agreed. I usually hate watching video performances of even my favorite bands (I have no idea why), but Pompeii I've watched at least 3 times, and it kicks ass. The music is out of this world. yes.gif

bumper.gif

Now I know a few weeks ago, KublaKhan & Kudzu bought some new Floyd albums. I'd like to see what more people on this forum think about Floyd & their albums. Type a few reviews, point out different things you like in the albums. I've probably said this before, Pink Floyd is my #1 favorite band of any type of music. Rush is my 2nd favorite. I don't think any musician(s)/bands will top them as my favorite, although I listen to many other musician(s)/bands but I digress. So, Kubla & Kudzu, tell us what you think of the albums in general. I'd like to keep this thread going for a while. smile.gif

Meddle is like a sandwich with really good bread, excellent lunch meat, wilting lettuce, and slightly greasy cheese. Good opening cut, subpar second song, good third song, disagreeable fourth song, unserious fifth song, and absolutely amazing Side B epic.

Obscured by Clouds is occasionally forgettable and occasionally classic; not a very consistent album, but a recommendable one all the same just for the good moments

The Dark Side of the Moon (which I've owned for, well, quite a long time) is fantastic; second-greatest album ever cut after Who's Next. Very nearly flawless.

Wish You Were Here just barely follows Moving Pictures (third on the list, making WYWH fourth) as another favorite album. Almost perfect from start to finish.

Animals is great, very dark and imposing, though perhaps without the immersive power of its two immediate predecessors. Still an incredible work, though.

The Wall has strong moments and is, overall, a very good album. It will never be one of my absolute favorites, though. It's a different Pink Floyd at this point, and I prefer the Pink Floyd of the earlier '70s.

well, Rush! i'll tell you about Animals and Piper:

I bought Animals this summer. I had previously listneed to pretty much all of it, and it was on for 10.00, so I said "What the hell, might aswell buy it." Same store where I got Presto. But, anyway, I got to go back to the hotel room and listen to it, and enjoyed every song over. I had previously heard Pigs many times from my dads burned "Best of Pink Floyd" CD (which I'm telling him to update. no early Floyd), and had only heard Sheep and Dogs once. I remember my Math teacher from last year telling me to listen to Dogs, so i downloaded it. It wasnt all that special to me at the time, but, once I listened to it again, I fell in love with it. Keeps you interested the entire way through, from Gilmours vocals, to his solo, to the "white noise" part, and into Waters vocals (they both sing, correct?). Sheep is excellent. Its fast-ish, and, like Dogs, keeps you until the end. Water's vocals rule. Pigs on the Wing 1 and 2 arent much, but are still iraplacable.

Piper. Wow. This was my first "Early Floyd" album, so I was a bit scared I was wasting my money. My dad thought I was... he doesnt really like it. But, wow! It really delivers. I liked it the first time, but by the second listen, I figured out how much of a GENIUS Barret is. The first half is incredibly strong, with a not so strong second half, but, all in all, it rules. The opener "Astronomy Domine" is very spacey (As what the lyrics depict). I had previously heard a live version and loved it, so i wasnt to scared of this. "Lucifer Sam" is one of my favorites from this album, and is incredibly catchy, and will stay in your head for a while. "Matilda Mother" wasnt my favorite track at first, but i grew to love it, especially after Wright says "Yes they did", where the song goes into a spiral of human made sounds (correct) which I love doing on my microphone (chhhh pahhhh, chhhhh pah), With a Wright Keyboard solo audible in the background. "Flaming" is catchy, and doesnt sound like the first 5 seconds of it. Its very upbeat, and is one of the stronger tracks. "Pow. R. Toc H." is the first instrumental track of the album, and sounds very Jungle-like. Then comes the best track of the album: "Take Up Thy Stethescope and Walk". Starting of with a drum pattern, and goes into a very wierd-for-rock-music theme. Then your imedietly launched into the "Greasy spoon" section, with some nice guitar work from Barret. A few more seconds of vocals, and your off into a psychedelic freakout. The bass is amazing. Waters is amazing (he also wrote this track). Finally, the song ends, and your left going "wow", but you dont get long before your thrown into a 9 minute spacy-psychedelic adventure: Interstellar Overdrive, which is just amazing. This is followed by two 2 minuters "Scarecrow" and "The Gnome", which are nice little tracks, to help you slow down after the greatness of "Stethescope" and "Interstellar Overdrive". In between these is a nice catch song called "Chapter 24". The bass riff is pretty good. Sunset. Sunrise. Finally, to cap it all off you get "Bike", a very wierd circus like song, with an incredibly wierd ending. The lyrics are fun to sing along to.

All in all, i would recommend both, especially Piper. I might actually like Early Floyd to the New/Popular Floyd. I'm hopeing to buy pretty much everything else. Meddle first, though.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Sep 23 2006, 02:22 PM)
Meddle is like a sandwich with really good bread, excellent lunch meat, wilting lettuce, and slightly greasy cheese. Good opening cut, subpar second song, good third song, disagreeable fourth song, unserious fifth song, and absolutely amazing Side B epic.

Ah, Kudzu, I must disagree with you on Meddle. One Of These Days is a fantastic opener, I love the bass on this one. Roger & Dave both play bass on this, Dave's bass in the left channel, Roger's in the right. Nick Mason does the speaking part: "One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces". A Pillow Of Winds, IMO, is not subpar at all, one of the best early acoustic Floyd tracks and is very dreamy. Fearless is another great track, I love the melody on this. The chanting at the end is a nice touch too. Many people are put off by San Tropez, it's very different from the usual early Floyd psychedelic sound. It's probably their most jazziest song. It was written by Roger and was the first track that was prepared ahead of time. Seamus IMO is really not that good, I don't hate it, but the dog barking doesn't really do anything besides annoy the hell out of me. It's a nice little acoustic blues jam, but otherwise it's one of their worst. Echoes obviously is one of their best tracks, a swirling 23-minute epic, lyrics are excellent, everything is in fine form. Nothing really needs to be said about this one.

QUOTE (KublaKhan @ Sep 23 2006, 06:56 PM)
I bought Animals this summer. I had previously listneed to pretty much all of it, and it was on for 10.00, so I said "What the hell, might aswell buy it." Same store where I got Presto. But, anyway, I got to go back to the hotel room and listen to it, and enjoyed every song over. I had previously heard Pigs many times from my dads burned "Best of Pink Floyd" CD (which I'm telling him to update. no early Floyd), and had only heard Sheep and Dogs once. I remember my Math teacher from last year telling me to listen to Dogs, so i downloaded it. It wasnt all that special to me at the time, but, once I listened to it again, I fell in love with it. Keeps you interested the entire way through, from Gilmours vocals, to his solo, to the "white noise" part, and into Waters vocals (they both sing, correct?). Sheep is excellent. Its fast-ish, and, like Dogs, keeps you until the end. Water's vocals rule. Pigs on the Wing 1 and 2 arent much, but are still iraplacable.

Piper. Wow. This was my first "Early Floyd" album, so I was a bit scared I was wasting my money. My dad thought I was... he doesnt really like it. But, wow! It really delivers. I liked it the first time, but by the second listen, I figured out how much of a GENIUS Barret is. The first half is incredibly strong, with a not so strong second half, but, all in all, it rules. The opener "Astronomy Domine" is very spacey (As what the lyrics depict). I had previously heard a live version and loved it, so i wasnt to scared of this. "Lucifer Sam" is one of my favorites from this album, and is incredibly catchy, and will stay in your head for a while. "Matilda Mother" wasnt my favorite track at first, but i grew to love it, especially after Wright says "Yes they did", where the song goes into a spiral of human made sounds (correct) which I love doing on my microphone (chhhh pahhhh, chhhhh pah), With a Wright Keyboard solo audible in the background. "Flaming" is catchy, and doesnt sound like the first 5 seconds of it. Its very upbeat, and is one of the stronger tracks. "Pow. R. Toc H." is the first instrumental track of the album, and sounds very Jungle-like. Then comes the best track of the album: "Take Up Thy Stethescope and Walk". Starting of with a drum pattern, and goes into a very wierd-for-rock-music theme. Then your imedietly launched into the "Greasy spoon" section, with some nice guitar work from Barret. A few more seconds of vocals, and your off into a psychedelic freakout. The bass is amazing. Waters is amazing (he also wrote this track). Finally, the song ends, and your left going "wow", but you dont get long before your thrown into a 9 minute spacy-psychedelic adventure: Interstellar Overdrive, which is just amazing. This is followed by two 2 minuters "Scarecrow" and "The Gnome", which are nice little tracks, to help you slow down after the greatness of "Stethescope" and "Interstellar Overdrive". In between these is a nice catch song called "Chapter 24". The bass riff is pretty good. Sunset. Sunrise. Finally, to cap it all off you get "Bike", a very wierd circus like song, with an incredibly wierd ending. The lyrics are fun to sing along to.

All in all, i would recommend both, especially Piper. I might actually like Early Floyd to the New/Popular Floyd. I'm hopeing to buy pretty much everything else. Meddle first, though.

Animals is my favorite Floyd album. Sheep is my favorite track off that one, absolutely venomous vocals from Roger.

Kubla: VOCALS - Pigs On The Wing (Parts 1 & 2): Roger

VOCALS - Dogs ("You gotta be crazy" verse is Dave, "And after a while" verse is Dave, "You gotta keep one eye" verse is Dave, "And when you lose control" verse is double-tracked Dave, "I gotta admit" verse is Roger, "Deaf dumb and blind" verse is Roger, "Who was..." lines are Roger.

VOCALS - Pigs (Three Different Ones): Roger

VOCALS - Sheep: Roger (23rd Psalm section [The Lord is my Shepherd...buggers' eyes water] section was a roadie, not sure on the name)

Piper is also a great debut album, BTW Kubla, on some live bootleg recordings from 1968/1969 Pow R. Toc H. was called "The Pink Jungle". I also agree that Stethoscope is the best song on that album, people bash it at the Floyd forums I'm at. The studio version of this song actually turned into a jam session. They cut it out though.

Not a fan of the band's earlier material, unfortunately. Nor am I a fan of Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, and other psychedelic contemporaries.

I've been meaning to pick up Atom Heart Mother, because I wonder if it was Atom Heart Mother or Meddle that started the new era of Pink Floyd's musical direction (the classic period, which ended with either The Wall or The Final Cut depending on who you talk to).

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Sep 24 2006, 01:49 AM)
I've been meaning to pick up Atom Heart Mother, because I wonder if it was Atom Heart Mother or Meddle that started the new era of Pink Floyd's musical direction (the classic period, which ended with either The Wall or The Final Cut depending on who you talk to).

Meddle was, IMO, the beginning of their classic period and sound. It ended with The Wall. You can basically call The Final Cut a Roger Waters solo album.

Atom Heart Mother is VERY experimental, especially with Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast. Tread with caution on this album, it's an acquired taste.

I downloaded AHM. Its ok. I'll probably burn it, because i dont feel like wasting 16.99 on it.

but, Fat Old Sun rules.

oh, and Rush!, Pow. R. Toc H. being called "The Pink Jungle" was during "The Man" and "The Journey" shows, right?

For those of you who dont know, The Man and The Journey is a Pink Floyd performance thing done in the late 60's-early 70's. It combined already recorded songs, songs that would later be recorded (I think) and unreleased songs. Alot of stuff from More.

I wouldnt mind getting ahold of one of these shows. Maybe i'd burn It one time, if i get all the material.

QUOTE (KublaKhan @ Sep 24 2006, 05:31 PM)
oh, and Rush!, Pow. R. Toc H. being called "The Pink Jungle" was during "The Man" and "The Journey" shows, right?

For those of you who dont know, The Man and The Journey is a Pink Floyd performance thing done in the late 60's-early 70's. It combined already recorded songs, songs that would later be recorded (I think) and unreleased songs. Alot of stuff from More.

Yes, that was the alternate title for Pow R. Toc H. at "The Man & The Journey" shows. I have 1 bootleg from that time period from September 17th, 1969. VERY good show, but also VERY different from any of their 70's albums.

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Sep 24 2006, 05:47 PM)
I though AHM started their classic period, It's definitely one of their best. The title track is amazing

A lot of Floyd fans would disagree with you on that. I personally don't feel it's one of their better albums. The title track suite is definitely my favorite of the album and is a big highlight. The choir & orchestration definitely make it sound better. The 3 middle tracks are OK, good, but not amazing. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is the most experimental on the album, it's not really worth hearing after the first few times IMO. Although it does have its moments.