The Great Pink Floyd Thread

rushgoober

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 3 2012, 01:15 AM)
Watching the Olympics and...someone just did the floor exercise to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". Good thing I'm not a judge. She'd have earned the gold from note one.

1022.gif Heard that, too.

Also, the other night, someone's floor routine was to an orchestral version of Paint it Black ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Aug 3 2012, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Aug 3 2012, 01:15 AM)
Watching the Olympics and...someone just did the floor exercise to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".  Good thing I'm not a judge.  She'd have earned the gold from note one.

1022.gif Heard that, too.

Also, the other night, someone's floor routine was to an orchestral version of Paint it Black ohmy.gif

Yeah, heard that too, which was cool.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 3 2012, 07:58 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Aug 3 2012, 05:15 AM)
Watching the Olympics and...someone just did the floor exercise to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".  Good thing I'm not a judge.  She'd have earned the gold from note one.

Totally. She could have fallen on her ass, and drunk, she'd have still won.

10!

laugh.gif

:) :sundog: :D-13:

Does anyone else here agree with my fave three albums? Been in that order for ages now.

Dark Side

Animals

The Wall

Mine is a bit different.

1. The Final Cut

I'm assuming you're joking about The Final Cut?

And Steevo, not even close for me. I know everyone loves to site their super popular 1973-1979 period as their best, and while I agree that all their albums from that period were great (even though The Wall I find way too depressing to listen to these days, and I've felt that way for many years), their early pre-Dark Side album period is still my favorite and is criminally underrated. Yes, Dark Side is arguably their best album, but I go back and forth between that one and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

This is roughly my Pink Floyd album order:

1. The Dark Side of the Moon

2. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (fights for #1 position)

3. A Saucerful of Secrets

4. Meddle

5. Ummagumma

6. Atom Heart Mother

7. Animals

8. Wish You Were Here

9. More

10. The Wall

11. Obscured By Clouds

12. A Momentary Lapse of Reason

13. The Division Bell

14. The Final Cut

If you add in The Early Singles (compilation of their 1967 & 1968 mostly non-album A & B sides), that would take likely take the #1 spot.

• Like 1

Does anyone else here agree with my fave three albums? Been in that order for ages now.

Dark Side

Animals

The Wall

Mine is a bit different.

1. The Final Cut

And Steevo, not even close for me. I know everyone loves to site their super popular 1973-1979 period as their best, and while I agree that all their albums from that period were great (even though The Wall I find way too depressing to listen to these days, and I've felt that way for many years), their early pre-Dark Side album period is still my favorite and is criminally underrated. Yes, Dark Side is arguably their best album, but I go back and forth between that one and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

4. Meddle

5. Ummagumma

6. Atom Heart Mother

7. Animals

8. Wish You Were Here

9. More

10. The Wall

11. Obscured By Clouds

13. The Division Bell

14. The Final Cut

If you add in The Early Singles (compilation of their 1967 & 1968 mostly non-album A & B sides), that would take likely take the #1 spot.

Why would I be joking?

Dark Side

Animals

The Wall

I'm very close but I would rank

Dark Side

Animals

Wish You Were Here

Dark Side

Animals

The Wall

Mine is a bit different.

1. The Final Cut

I definitely see the appeal with TFC. While it's atypical of the Floyd style and did cause a lot of drama, it has a lot of what may arguably be some of the most emotionally powerful stuff in the whole catalogue.

• Like 1

Dark Side

Animals

The Wall

Mine is a bit different.

1. The Final Cut

4. Meddle

5. Ummagumma

6. Atom Heart Mother

7. Animals

8. Wish You Were Here

9. More

10. The Wall

11. Obscured By Clouds

13. The Division Bell

14. The Final Cut

Why would I be joking?

I don't know... I guess I just thought you were... :unsure:

The Final Cut really isn't even a Pink Floyd album to me. It's much more a solo Roger Waters album, and it's depressing as f*ck. it makes The Wall seem like an feel good romantic comedy in comparison.

I guess there are some people out there who think Islands is the best 70's King Crimson album too, so WTF do I know? :unsure:

The Final Cut really isn't even a Pink Floyd album to me. It's much more a solo Roger Waters album, and it's depressing as f*ck. it makes The Wall seem like an feel good romantic comedy in comparison.

I guess there are some people out there who think Islands is the best 70's King Crimson album too, so WTF do I know? :unsure:

It is depressing in many ways, and it certainly doesn't get less so with the last track being about the end of the world. Still, if you think about it in terms of a story being told, it's actually quite brilliant. I'm just glad that the hideous junk that was rejected was recorded for Roger's first actual solo album. Now THAT was bad. :X

• Like 1

Dark Side

Animals

The Wall

Mine is a bit different.

1. The Final Cut

4. Meddle

5. Ummagumma

6. Atom Heart Mother

7. Animals

8. Wish You Were Here

9. More

10. The Wall

11. Obscured By Clouds

13. The Division Bell

14. The Final Cut

Why would I be joking?

You know what you know. Nothing more.

Dark Side

Animals

The Wall

Mine is a bit different.

1. The Final Cut

I definitely see the appeal with TFC. While it's atypical of the Floyd style and did cause a lot of drama, it has a lot of what may arguably be some of the most emotionally powerful stuff in the whole catalogue.

Yes, that was always the clincher for me. It's a very emotional album, ball-achingly sad in places and it suited my teenage(and lets face it, Floyd music is awesome for teenage & forever-teenage minds!) pacifist mind, it grabbed me straight away, and never left me. Plus, its very melodic, with some great playing from Gilmour, Andy Bown, Ray Cooper & Andy Newmark. And, I've been critical of him in the past, but Michael Kamen's arrangements are bang on the money.

And, I love Rog's lyrics on it. His dad, his love life, WWII, the Falklands, nuclear annihilation, the IRA. Yup, a real party album.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

Dark Side

Animals

The Wall

Mine is a bit different.

1. The Final Cut

4. Meddle

5. Ummagumma

6. Atom Heart Mother

7. Animals

8. Wish You Were Here

9. More

10. The Wall

11. Obscured By Clouds

13. The Division Bell

14. The Final Cut

Why would I be joking?

You know what you know. Nothing more.

How very zen of you.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0205/2252/files/buddha-pond_large.jpg?2789

The Final Cut is actually one of my favourites. Yes, it is depressing. But it sounds so nice and polished, but still warm, and even lush in spots. Everyone says it sounds more like a Waters solo effort, which I agree with -- though I like his solo stuff so I don't have a very big problem with it. :P There are some amazing compositions on there, like "The Gunner's Dream", "The Final Cut", and of course, "The Fletcher Memorial Home". All of that being said, it's no Wish You Were Here, which is arguably my favourite Floyd album, but it is a solid album overall, IMHO.
  • Like 2

The Final Cut is actually one of my favourites. Yes, it is depressing. But it sounds so nice and polished, but still warm, and even lush in spots. Everyone says it sounds more like a Waters solo effort, which I agree with -- though I like his solo stuff so I don't have a very big problem with it. :P There are some amazing compositions on there, like "The Gunner's Dream", "The Final Cut", and of course, "The Fletcher Memorial Home". All of that being said, it's no Wish You Were Here, which is arguably my favourite Floyd album, but it is a solid album overall, IMHO.

Agreed. I do miss Rick Wright's presence, but for what it is The Final Cut is great. The Fletcher Memorial Home, Your Possible Pasts, The Final Cut, and Two Suns in the Sunset are my favorites.

• Like 1

hey, jordan! :cheers:

the final cut SOUNDS incredible - i mean it's recorded fantastically, but the album is just far too suicidally depressing for me to listen to. the incredible audiophile sound is unfortunately completely wasted on me.

hey, jordan! :cheers:

the final cut SOUNDS incredible - i mean it's recorded fantastically, but the album is just far too suicidally depressing for me to listen to. the incredible audiophile sound is unfortunately completely wasted on me.

Hey, Gary! :cheers: Yeah, it may be the best sounding album I own.

Dark Side

Animals

The Wall

Mine is a bit different.

1. The Final Cut

Yes, that was always the clincher for me. It's a very emotional album, ball-achingly sad in places and it suited my teenage(and lets face it, Floyd music is awesome for teenage & forever-teenage minds!) pacifist mind, it grabbed me straight away, and never left me. Plus, its very melodic, with some great playing from Gilmour, Andy Bown, Ray Cooper & Andy Newmark. And, I've been critical of him in the past, but Michael Kamen's arrangements are bang on the money.

And, I love Rog's lyrics on it. His dad, his love life, WWII, the Falklands, nuclear annihilation, the IRA. Yup, a real party album.

:eyeroll:

Dark Side

Animals

The Wall

Mine is a bit different.

1. The Final Cut

4. Meddle

5. Ummagumma

6. Atom Heart Mother

7. Animals

8. Wish You Were Here

9. More

10. The Wall

11. Obscured By Clouds

13. The Division Bell

14. The Final Cut

Why would I be joking?

All is not what it seems Goobs I'm sure, Hatchy knows how to mess with us! :D I'm still puzzled to f**k why you slam the title track of that KC album that's all :o