What is the point of happiness and positivity?

An Enemy Without

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 12 2012, 04:08 PM)
A new Rush album is coming.....excitement and hype abound. I can perfectly understand fans not wanting to be cautious about expectations and wanting to hype lest they have too low and realistic hopes only to be satisfied. However, some of you go beyond this....expressing pervasive happiness and positivity about the album, which hasn't even been heard in full. Yes, I know that some of you like the three songs heard so far and you have every right to express your satisfaction, but the attitude I also sense is of almost complete enamoration...not able to salvage anything negative out of the new stuff. I see this on other forums too, usually much worse there than on here.

Beyond expressing particular points of satisfaction, what gives about the love? Why the fanboyism? Are you indirectly expressing some sort of thanks towards the band about past expectations being exceeded or utter satisfaction? Is this positivity some sort of defense mechanism against disappointment, or you just like to express agreeable opinions out of fear of dissent, or vent your satisfaction about other things in your lives that have nothing to do with Rush? Do you feel envious towards those Rush fans who are hating the new material, but you cant join the party? Are you happy that every Rush album might as well be MP 2 or your own personal fantasy album? Im not trying to sound like a jerk, but just curious to know the reasons behind all this positive spew I see and hear so often when it comes to new Rush.

The positivity is old and tiresome. It contributes nothing interesting or exciting to discussions. Heard it all. Again, to be clear, Im no troll and dont appreciate blind hatred for anything Rush puts out either. There are many Rush songs I do appreciate, but I try to keep an open mind too. Im also not talking about critical reviews or healthy analyses and debates with balanced perspectives. Expressing general liking for a song or album is not what I have an issue with. You know what Im talking about....we've seen it here, elsewhere and will see it again.........unfortunately.

Happiness and positivity is easier on the stomach and the nerves.

Speaking for the over 40 crowd.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Motorshooter @ May 13 2012, 01:19 PM)
Medical studies are always fun to read.
This one is about being positive

"A 30-year study of 447 people at the Mayo Clinic found that optimists had around a 50 percent lower risk of early death than pessimists. The study's conclusion? "[M]ind and body are linked and attitude has an impact on the final outcome -- death."

This was further compounded by a Yale study that asked 660 elderly people whether they agreed that we become less useful as we age. Those who didn't agree, and therefore had the most positive attitude about aging, lived an average of 7.5 years longer than those with the most negative attitudes, who did agree that we become less useful as we age.

It was also shown in a Dutch study that examined the attitudes and longevity of 999 people over the age of 65. The study reported a "protective relationship" between optimism and mortality. People with a positive attitude, quite simply, lived longer. They even had a 77 percent lower risk of heart disease than pessimists.

So why do positive people live longer? I imagine that it is because they get less stressed in day-to-day life. When something doesn't quite go to plan, a person with a positive attitude might just deal with it, typically refocus, or even look for another solution. But a person with a negative attitude will typically complain more, get angry or frustrated, and they will expend a lot of energy going over and over in their heads what has happened and how much it is a real inconvenience for them."

The conclusion points to positive people live longer. 653.gif

Or maybe people are happy because they think they'll live longer? I bet an old guy with arthritis or cancer is more likely to be pessimistic than optimistic. Maybe the people were optimistic because of their good health.

QUOTE (ioc @ May 13 2012, 01:42 PM)
I've also read that it doesn't matter if the glass is half-empty or half-full, drinking too much prune juice will give you the runs.

Technically it's always full! Half Water & Half Air!

yes.gif

People who get easily annoyed by others expressing happiness and positivity are usually quite unhappy with something in their own lives and wish they could be happier. Many of them, however, dont have insight into their own psychology and instead claim that those who are more positive are out of touch with reality in some way, when in fact, their own negativity is making their own lives tougher than it should be. They often lash out and insult those pos folks as a sick way to try and raise their own fragile self esteem.

Id rather love than hate. Feels a whole lot better! 653.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 13 2012, 09:27 PM)
They are two sides of the same coin. Love in excess is just as self-destructive as hate. Just look at Romeo and Juliet...

That's why I live my life in ambivalence. Moderation. It's nice.

Nothing extreme is healthy, but having a grateful, positive attitude never hurts anyone and is MUCH less likely to kead to bad consequences than someone who has a half glass empty, disdainful, cynical world view. Medical and psychology research both support this....Im in the field and have studied a lot of research on this topic both in training and as part of my profession.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 13 2012, 09:34 PM)
They are two sides of the same coin. Love in excess is just as self-destructive as hate. Just look at Romeo and Juliet...

Nothing extreme is healthy, but having a grateful, positive attitude never hurts anyone and is MUCH less likely to kead to bad consequences than someone who has a half glass empty, disdainful, cynical world view. Medical and psychology research both support this....Im in the field and have studied a lot of research on this topic both in training and as part of my profession.

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than consistently disappointed. But more than either of those id rather be middle of the road.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 13 2012, 10:14 PM)

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than consistently disappointed. But more than either of those id rather be middle of the road.

Each to his own, but a positive approach to living does not equate with unrealistic hopes and expectations, and poaitive people are FAR from being consistently disappointed. In fact, they are more likely to attract good outcomes in their lives.

Nothing wrong with a tempered outlook, but nothing wrong with those of us who like to focus on the sunnier side of things either.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 14 2012, 06:07 AM)

Each to his own, but a positive approach to living does not equate with unrealistic hopes and expectations, and poaitive people are FAR from being consistently disappointed. In fact, they are more likely to attract good outcomes in their lives.

Nothing wrong with a tempered outlook, but nothing wrong with those of us who like to focus on the sunnier side of things either.

Amen Brother!

applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 14 2012, 09:09 AM)

Amen Brother!

Know what would make me happy? If ya shrank down that sig of yours. It's enormous.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 14 2012, 09:11 AM)

Amen Brother!

Know what would make me happy? If ya shrank down that sig of yours. It's enormous.

Sorry, I'm compensating!

fists crying.gif sad.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 14 2012, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 14 2012, 09:11 AM)

Amen Brother!

Sorry, I'm compensating!

fists crying.gif sad.gif

rofl3.gif

"love in excess" was not a theme, idea, or motif of the play Romeo and Juliet.

Major themes of the play:

Love, hate, light, time, fate... and lust being physical, youthful love.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 14 2012, 10:47 AM)

"love in excess" was not a theme, idea, or motif of the play Romeo and Juliet.

Major themes of the play:

Love, hate, light, time, fate... and lust being physical, youthful love.

They loved each other to the point of reckless suicide. I'd say that was love in excess.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 12 2012, 07:14 PM)
FANBOYISM IS KILLING RUSH MUSIC!

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8374/fanboi.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/77/Fanboy1DC.jpg/250px-Fanboy1DC.jpg

http://borgdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/fanboys-poster.jpg

http://www.feistees.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/prtdg.jpg

http://o.aolcdn.com/photo-hub/news_gallery/6/8/686438/1284904600942.JPEG

http://www.yakkityyaks.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/brady_bunch.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mg2I7qWw_R8/T1BQdTIg2RI/AAAAAAAAAes/1N9_0nnGIwo/s1600/ren-n-stimpy.gif

http://www.wastedspace.com/happy/cover.jpg

Man, I love these pictures...brilliant! rofl3.gif