Looking down from Olympus

On a world of doubt and fear

Its surface splintered

Into sorry Hemispheres

They sat a while in silence

Then they turned at last to me

'We will call you Cygnus

The god of Balance you shall be'

Oh god, Goosebumps. Best part of the song.

My god. I've never been affected like THAT. Ever, by any song. I had a flash of deep, deep emotion. It was freaking amazing!

Good for you! smile.gif

An awesome song, and I never get tired of hearing it. Actually, come to think of it, I haven't listened to it for more than an entire year now... time to get it on the ol' ipod!

I love the ending of the song ("We can walk our road together...") - this being one of the first Rush songs I ever heard, it struck me that Geddy had a nice voice.

Oh, and the "I am dead, and yet unborn" part - good moodiness in this song.

Man, to have caught a Rush show when this song was being played live....

QUOTE (Mika @ May 12 2012, 03:41 AM)
Good for you! smile.gif

An awesome song, and I never get tired of hearing it. Actually, come to think of it, I haven't listened to it for more than an entire year now... time to get it on the ol' ipod!

I love the ending of the song ("We can walk our road together...") - this being one of the first Rush songs I ever heard, it struck me that Geddy had a nice voice.

goodpost.gif

This song was the reason I began playing bass!

If they pulled it out and played it in its entirety (I know it's impossible) I wouldn't care if they played Tom Sawyer 10 times!

Hemispheres kicks my ass everytime I listen to it.

I still say Prelude is one of the best pieces of music ever written. LOVE the part when Alex comes in real quiet and the bell, then the high-hat.. then bass... such a killer part

This song just paint such an awesome story.

Starting with the Prelude you can easily see the realm of the Ancient Gods opening up before you.

Then careless battle between the 2 forces.

Now I always thought I "I have memory and Awareness" Part was the actual Cygnus X-1 Black hole coming into the realm of the gods. The sounds the play just give that feel of some massive spinning dark object hanging high in the sky. And then it starts to wreak havoc over the lands. Impressed with the power of the Black Hole they crisan it "Cygnus" and then toss him into the sky!

If you listen to this song during a thunderstorm, it is freaking awesome!

Hemispheres: Rush's greatest epic. Glad you're enjoying it! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Those 18 minutes rush by every time (no pun intended).

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ May 12 2012, 03:54 PM)
I discovered this song at the end of last year. I never listened to it because I was intimidated by its length. But I've heard it dozens of times since. Not a week goes by that I don't listen to it now.

This is how I felt for the longest time, because of its length. I have a horrible attention span. But, one day I gave it a shot, and I LOVED it.

I also realized the other night as I was cool10.gif that I know every. single. word. I can stand there and recite the entire song, no music needed. I even think I can sing it pretty well on most days.

For the record, the Cygnus duology > 2112. There, I said it. The story just paints such a vivid picture in my head, which differs each time I listen to the song.

yes.gif

I get that EVERY. SINGLE. TIME I listen to it cool.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 12 2012, 07:48 PM)
For the record, the Cygnus duology > 2112. There, I said it. The story just paints such a vivid picture in my head, which differs each time I listen to the song.

100% Agree with that!

QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 12 2012, 07:33 PM)
Then all at once the chaos ceased
A stillness fell, a sudden peace
The warriors felt my silent cry
And stayed their struggle, mystified

Apollo was atonished
Dionysus thought me mad
But they heard my story further
And they wondered, and were sad

Looking down from Olympus
On a world of doubt and fear
Its surface splintered
Into sorry Hemispheres

They sat a while in silence
Then they turned at last to me
'We will call you Cygnus
The god of Balance you shall be'

My god. I've never been affected like THAT. Ever, by any song. I had a flash of deep, deep emotion. It was freaking amazing!

Always amazed how Geddy managed to get those first four lines out,talk about a mouthful.

Good for you! smile.gif

To be frank, it was a bit of a dud live. They had to put a really cheesy synth in between armageddon and cygnus as Alex could never seem to get the roland guitar synthesiser to work properly. The irony is they could probably pull that off very easily these days with current technology, just a shame that Ged would tear his vocal chords out trying.

QUOTE (Sin City @ May 13 2012, 09:20 PM)
Good for you! smile.gif

I love the ending of the song  ("We can walk our road together...") - this being one of the first Rush songs I ever heard, it struck me that Geddy had a nice voice.

To be frank, it was a bit of a dud live. They had to put a really cheesy synth in between armageddon and cygnus as Alex could never seem to get the roland guitar synthesiser to work properly. The irony is they could probably pull that off very easily these days with current technology, just a shame that Ged would tear his vocal chords out trying.

Which reminds me, were we front row for the Hemispheres gig? biggrin.gif

I remember seeing them playing that song live at Comiskey park in1979 and again indoors on their PW tour at the international amphitheater. Both times it was amazing... The coordinated lights with the thunder in the middle of that song and Neil's cymbal work while Alex was playing those harmonics during the first part of that song, just so cool!

QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 12 2012, 03:33 AM)

Yup - it has happened to me plenty, at this exact part, and also the Sphere gets me too.

I still think this is the weakest line in the song:

After painting all that great imagery "sad" is the word you decided on... really?

QUOTE (Sin City @ May 13 2012, 03:20 PM)

I think Hemispheres is one of the greatest pieces of music ever written but have to agree with your comment about the live version being a bit of a dud. While I wasn't old enough to experience it for myself, I never thought it came off well in all the bootlegs I have of it (and I am a live music freak). I would still love for them to try it again though, although they might have to detune it too much.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ May 14 2012, 09:23 AM)
I still think this is the weakest line in the song:

After painting all that great imagery "sad" is the word you decided on... really?

I agree, that line always felt like it did not fit in at all.

Hemispheres was one of the first 5 Rush albums I was exposed to...I became a fan when Presto came out...and within a month I had Presto, Hemispheres, 2112 and the first three dubbed from Vinyl...Hemispheres was the one I couldn't stop listening to...totally epic!

I still remember the very first time I heard Hemispheres.

Quickly fading in, that swirly phasey backwards sound into THAT chord... I remember standing up from my chair with goosebumps going "oh F...!!!"

Really now, so much has been said about that chord, but it really is the most awesome chord in the universe. smile.gif