The Front Row and The Loudness factor

OK, so here's the deal: I haven't been up front at a concert since I was 15 years old. I am 50 years old now.... fists crying.gif ....should I be worried about my hearing if I make it to the Front Row? confused13.gif I have some hearing loss in my right ear (higher frequencies), and I don't want to make it worse....

Just how LOUD is it? Should I bring ear plugs, or should I rough it? confused13.gif confused13.gif laugh.gif

From what I remember hearing about the Time Machine tour, the loudness can actually be more bothersome in the cheap seats. Our experience bore this out - our first show was second to last row and got loud at times, but that was high up in a grandstand with less than stellar acoustics anyway. Our second show was 17th row on the floor in an arena, and didn't seem loud to me at all. I used earplugs on and off during the first show and not at all during the second. I probably should use them all the time, though, as I've noticed my tinnitus is getting pretty bad.

I'd recommend bringing earplugs and using them if you notice the sound is bothering you at all, and maybe anyway, if you think you're having issues already from going to shows (mine are a combo of this and other factors).

Take some ear protection. I have buds that wear them to every show no matter where we sit. Worse case, you don't need them.

Or...I can take your seats and you can sit back away from the speakers. tongue.gif

QUOTE (tripdad @ May 10 2012, 09:59 PM)
Take some ear protection. I have buds that wear them to every show no matter where we sit. Worse case, you don't need them.

Or...I can take your seats and you can sit back away from the speakers. tongue.gif

Don't have the tickets yet, but I may bite the bullet and get 'em. You only live ONCE!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I use Hearos High Fidelity ear plugs for every concert.

They don't muffle the sound at all...everything is still very clear, just reduces the decibel level.

You can pick up a pair at Guitar Center for about $15.00.

Here's the link..

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hearos-High-Fi...945-i1134130.gc

http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionLarge/Hearos/DV016_Jpg_Large_421214.jpg

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

If you're concerned, I'll gladly trade you tongue.gif

Motorhead has ruined my hearing so anythig that Rush throws my way up close pales in comparison. Having said that, I am not proud of destryoing my hearing at shows. Iron Maiden has done a wonderful job as well...

I would advocate anyone wearing them if concerned.

Ebay has them a little cheaper.

Edited by drgrendel

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ May 10 2012, 10:18 PM)
I use Hearos High Fidelity ear plugs for every concert.

They don't muffle the sound at all...everything is still very clear, just reduces the decibel level.

You can pick up a pair at Guitar Center for about $15.00.

Here's the link..

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hearos-High-Fi...945-i1134130.gc

http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionLarge/Hearos/DV016_Jpg_Large_421214.jpg

Bought myself 4 pairs of these. It's my first & second shows with so I'll see loud it gets up close within 15 rows.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

common001.gif cheer.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 10 2012, 10:46 PM)
OK, so here's the deal: I haven't been up front at a concert since I was 15 years old. I am 50 years old now.... fists crying.gif ....should I be worried about my hearing if I make it to the Front Row? confused13.gif I have some hearing loss in my right ear (higher frequencies), and I don't want to make it worse....

Just how LOUD is it? Should I bring ear plugs, or should I rough it? confused13.gif confused13.gif laugh.gif

Wear the foam earplugs. 100-105 dB.

What? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 10 2012, 09:46 PM)

It's not loud at all. The house amps are over your head or behind you.

You're hearing the drums live -- not amped.

It's awsome.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 10 2012, 09:46 PM)

The decibal level (loudness) is not neccessarily too extreme up front. In fact, there are other areas of the venue where it will sound louder. But... I always bring hearing protection. It is critical to keep your ears safe before the show. Cranking out Rush in your car on the way to the show can reduce your ability to hear the show correctly.

I also have lost some of my high frequency hearing. Probably from playing heavy metal drums since 1983... smile.gif 2.gif

Because of the way the speakers are set up on the ceiling rigs and corners of the stage, I think the loudness would be relatively similar from the front and the rest of the auditorium, however the quality of the sound might not be up to speck. With that said, I would personally bring plugs if you plan on having a conversation with anyone within 2 hours of the end of the show wink.gif wink.gif

Rush were surprisingly not that loud from the front row. I didn't experience anything out the usual ringing in the ears after I saw them from front row in Syracuse two years ago. But since you've got some hearing problems I would recomened that you do bring some plugs with you. Every venue has a different kind of sound system so it's hard to tell for a specific show how loud it will actually be. Although i'm pretty sure Rush plays at the same volume level at all their shows, you never know when sound issues can occur where you get feedback and other things going on.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ May 11 2012, 07:07 AM)
I also have lost some of my high frequency hearing. Probably from playing heavy metal drums since 1983...  smile.gif  2.gif

Car stereo did my ears in...... laugh.gif

But there was this one day.......I was about to drive some (drunk) friends home, and the guy wouldn't stop gabbing with some buddies and get in the car. His wife, who was sitting right next to me in the car, starts SCREAMING at the guy.......and it all went directly into my right ear. ohmy.gif It hurt like HELL! I'm 100% sure it damaged my ear forever........ rage.gif

Like others have said, I believe it won't be as loud as it could be in other parts of the arena. Speakers are above your head. The best thing is that the sound QUALITY will be excellent. Especially, hearing the drums un-amped.

Of course, I could be wrong, as I was on the SECOND row on the TM tour.. huge difference from FRONT row! wink.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 11 2012, 06:34 AM)
OK, so here's the deal:  I haven't been up front at a concert since I was 15 years old.  I am 50 years old now.... fists crying.gif ....should I be worried about my hearing if I make it to the Front Row?  confused13.gif  I have some hearing loss in my right ear (higher frequencies), and I don't want to make it worse....

Just how LOUD is it?    Should I bring ear plugs, or should I rough it?  confused13.gif  confused13.gif  laugh.gif

Wear the foam earplugs. 100-105 dB.

Agreed. I used them on the second TM tour show. My seats were about 1-2 sections closer than the last but I found the sound a lot clearer and enjoyable than the previous show I saw without earplugs.

QUOTE (Glee @ May 11 2012, 08:32 AM)
Like others have said, I believe it won't be as loud as it could be in other parts of the arena. Speakers are above your head. The best thing is that the sound QUALITY will be excellent. Especially, hearing the drums un-amped.

Of course, I could be wrong, as I was on the SECOND row on the TM tour.. huge difference from FRONT row! wink.gif

Yup. Most of the sound blows right by you.

Loudest show I was ever at was about 20th row for AC/DC. The bass and drums were so loud I actually was getting dizzy. When the would hit the bass drum, I could feel my shirt vibrate.